Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 764 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 16  Next
 Post subject: Re: Elite
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 21:14 

Having traded until now, I have started visiting the unidentified signal sources. Some easy fights can be had like that, and what the heck, the Sidewinder is free anyway. At one time I came upon a Federation distress signal. Turned out, the feds were moving in on Eranin, but they had had one of their capital ships ambushed by Eranin defense forces, or so it seemed. I naturally helped the Eranins holding the Federation fighters at bay, while the assault on the big ship carried out. Again, the Federation fighters were easy pickings, although no one seemed capable of hurting the massive capital ship which, by the way, was MASSIVE and AMAZING.

Then on the way back to collect the bounties, I got interdicted. Normally I fly around with engine power on max, and if I just use my boost as soon as possible I can normally easily get the frame shift drive online before they even get to scan me. This time I thought, what the heck, let's see who they are and what they're up to. It was three pirates in Cobras, and they annihilated me as I desperately tried to boost away while my frame shift drive warmed up at a snail's pace. Turns out, you lose your bounty vouchers when you die. Oh well.

The have pretty much nailed the combat and the movement of the ships, as well as the control and feeling of the player's own ship. And that was just the Sidewinder with a pair of pulse lasers. I can't wait to try out the rest of the ships and weapons. Just need a few more credits to get a hauler...

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:11 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

What happens when you die?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:19 

You respawn at the last station you docked at (or presumably at a random station if you never docked)

You also get a choice of respawn, you can either have a Sidewinder with the basic loadout, for free.
Or if you have enough sponds, you can buy the ship you had before with the same loadout but at a greatly reduced price compared to buying it normally.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:30 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

So you lose the ship you were in, obv. Can you attempt to recover any cargo it had in it, or bits of ship?

Is there any financial penalty?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:36 
Master of dodgy spelling....

GazChap wrote:
You respawn at the last station you docked at (or presumably at a random station if you never docked)

You also get a choice of respawn, you can either have a Sidewinder with the basic loadout, for free.
Or if you have enough sponds, you can buy the ship you had before with the same loadout but at a greatly reduced price compared to buying it normally.

Not quite as harsh as EVE then

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:48 

Grim... wrote:
So you lose the ship you were in, obv. Can you attempt to recover any cargo it had in it, or bits of ship?

Is there any financial penalty?

No financial penalty as such, but if you have killed any wanted pilots (people with bounties on their heads) you will lose them, as you don't collect bounties until you dock and claim them from the Pilot's Federation.

Any cargo you had in the ship will explode out of the ship hull and can be scooped by other pilots (or even NPCs I think) - they disappear after a certain length of time though.

Ship bits can't be salvaged.

This is all just in the beta too, the final game will perhaps be different - this is the design discussion topic for death.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:14 

The thing to watch out for early on is spending literally every last penny you have loading up on cargo to sell somewhere else, only to be interdicted and destroyed en route. Yeah, you can grab a free basic Sidewinder, but you'll have no money and no cargo. Of course there are ways of getting back into the game without having to wipe your save game and start again from scratch though, especially now the bulletin board missions have been implemented.

Apparently one of the plans for the final game is compulsory ship insurance. If you're unable to pay the excess on death, you have to take out a loan for it instead to be paid off in instalments.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 14:19 
Excellently Membered

Yeah. I crashed my first ship and all my pulse lasers are LOANED to me. Which sucks a little. Kept my starting cash though. Is there a docking offline scenario? Haven't found one, if so there probably should be one.

Also managed to get stranded with high value cargo as I didn't take into account that 4 Computer Components weight less than 4 units of a metal. Not sure how I'd work that out ahead of time. Result was I could get to BD+47 2112 (oh yes what a wonderful name) but after sales and purchases couldn't get back again and had only one other local system to jump to which was essentially a dead end. Suffice to say that trip didn't make me any money.

Also what is everyone using as controls ?

Also is the docking computer any good/faster?

Wish I had more time to play, only had a few hours so far, spent most of it browsing the forums.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 15:06 

Don't worry about them being loaned at this stage. That's basically a way of saying they come with the ship and you can't sell them for credits (whereas any weapons you buy CAN be sold off later if you wish).

I don't get how the mass system works myself yet. All of that, including the fuel system, is new to Beta 1. I'm hoping to get some time in on it this evening to learn all that part better.

I'm using an Xbox 360 controller myself, with some less common functions mapped to the keyboard.

The videos I've seen of the Docking Computer don't make it look all that great to me, the pathfinding AI seems to suck pretty badly so far. Besides which, I find docking a breeze now. It's like driving a car in a way - bastard hard the first couple of times you do it, but it soon becomes second nature. All the same, I'm tempted to buy one because the game plays the Blue Danube Waltz when it's activated, in keeping with the previous Elite games (and 2001: A Space Odyssey of course).

I haven't had much time on Beta 1 yet (about an hour tops), but I'm hoping to get my teeth stuck in this weekend!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 15:19 
Excellently Membered

Excellent. Looks like 1.03 is out just now too.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 17:56 

Yeah, it's annoying that you can't see what length of jump you will be able to make before you fill your cargo bay.

And I use a monstrously expensive CH Fighterstick / CH Pro Throttle combo. It's marvelous for Elite, since the throttle has a little analog ministick which I have assigned to vertical/lateral thrust. I also use it for looking around, when holding a modifier button. The only problem is the lack of yaw, since the joystick doesn't twist (I never liked the "twist to yaw" joysticks). Currently I use left and right on the stick's thumb button, but there is a set of CH Pro Pedals on the way to me as we speak. Yes, €s galore, but it will be worth it. Plus, I play a lot of Flight Simulator as well, as well as Freespace and other stuff. It will be worth it, dammit.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 18:05 

Do you have VoiceAttack and TrackIR set up? If not, *get it* - TrackIR makes a huge difference just by itself, and being able to command your ship with your voice is suitably futuristic ;)

"COMPUTER, ALL POWER TO WEAPONS" and all that ;)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 18:13 
ugvm'er at heart...

Isn't TrackIR £100 on it's own, or is there a cheaper version out there?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 18:45 

I've noticed that with the new update (or maybe it was there before and I didn't notice), some of the long jump links in the galaxy map are colored grey now, which might mean something important.

EDIT: Oh yes, there is a slider now which will allow you to set a tonnage for the jump connections.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 19:27 

It doesn't seem to work too well, though, when I arrived at the long jump it seemed to have changed its mind?!? There is now a couple of canisters of fish floating in space around Aulin.

If you'd like to check out the new "rich" space station interior, go to Wyrd.

And I was going to ask how to get rid of stolen stuff, but it seems a black market button has suddenly appeared under contacts.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 16:46 

Trooper wrote:
Isn't TrackIR £100 on it's own, or is there a cheaper version out there?

New, yeah. If you get a good deal on eBay though, it can be much cheaper - seems that some people can't spell "trackir" ...

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 11:29 

I'm getting used to the Advanced Control Pad controls now, which seems to map pretty much everything to the Xbox 360 controller. In fact, the only thing I use that I'm not sure has been mapped is ship lights, which I rarely use anyway.

I get the feeling I might have to investigate the possibility of acquiring an Oculus Rift at some point. I can't imagine how incredible this game must be to play with one of those on your noggin.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 11:29 

I'm getting used to the Advanced Control Pad controls now, which seems to map pretty much everything to the Xbox 360 controller. In fact, the only thing I use that I'm not sure has been mapped is ship lights, which I rarely use anyway.

I get the feeling I might have to investigate the possibility of acquiring an Oculus Rift at some point. I can't imagine how incredible this game must be to play with one of those on your noggin.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 11:30 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Why are you posting twice everywhere, Zio?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 11:38 

Arseholes, sorry, didn't realise I was. It's because I'm using Safari 8 Beta, and it's buggy as shit. Apologies all!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 13:27 

Zio wrote:

I'm not expecting to get mine until September, but once I do, next time I find myself in Hemel I'll pop around if you like.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 15:02 

Definitely. Hell, I might even make you a cuppa! Really push the boat out! ;)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 15:09 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Zio wrote:
Definitely. Hell, I might even put a baby in you! Really push the boat out! ;)

FEEX

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 16:52 

Grim... wrote:
Zio wrote:
Definitely. Hell, I might even put a baby in you! Really push the boat out! ;)

FEEX

Surely that goes without saying?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 22:51 

I haz Cobra Mk III! Will do a bit more trading to have a good buffer of cash, then I am going to buy weaponry and get on with a bit of space hijinx!

I can't stop playing this game. I know we are going to have our accounts reset at least once before the final game is released and these hours will be "wasted", but I just can't stay away from it.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 0:14 
Can you dig it?

Is there much potential for LULZ-y griefing?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:31 

You can attack other players around the space stations, but I am not sure if there is a way to do "proper" pvp piracy yet.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:42 

You can already attack other players if you're in the same area of space as them, for instance around star ports and areas like the Federation Distress Signal in Eranin, but eventually you'll also be able to intercept and interdict players in supercruise to attack them. As I understand it, attacking another player with an Elite Federation of Pilots bounty on their head is totally legit, but attacking an innocent player is absolutely not and will attract a bounty on your own head. I'm sure I read that they're designing it so that you can get substantially reduced penalties if you offer your victim the chance to dump their cargo and leave rather than attacking them too.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:45 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Zio wrote:
I'm sure I read that they're designing it so that you can get substantially reduced penalties if you offer your victim the chance to dump their cargo and leave rather than attacking them too.

Presumably because you don't attack them?

;)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:11 

Grim... wrote:
Zio wrote:
I'm sure I read that they're designing it so that you can get substantially reduced penalties if you offer your victim the chance to dump their cargo and leave rather than attacking them too.

Presumably because you don't attack them?

;)

Well, yes, obviously. I was more trying to point out the game presents the option for more traditional piracy, but through the filter of my didn't-sleep-very-well-last-night addled brain.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 13:42 
Excellently Membered

Still enjoying this. Managed to work my way up to a Lakon 6. However I haven't helped myself; several times I tried to make a cuppa tea between jumps/frameshift and was attacked and destroyed, luckily I had enough money spare for insurance. Seem to attract pirates.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 21:20 
Decapodian

I'm finding it increasingly hard to resist the beta. How long till release?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 21:31 
Excellently Membered

Not sure but this year I think. Its fun but not sure I'd recommend jumping in just yet, unless you want to see it change and grow, its no finished game yet. However thats half the fun. The updates so far have been few and far between.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 12:45 

I've not had the time to dedicate to this that I'd like, but I've got the Viper at the moment, with enough in the bank to move up to the Cobra Mk III. I'm not sure that I will though - the Viper is such a fantastic combat ship, I don't think it could be beaten by any of the other ships in the game at the moment. I've got dual class-3 gimballed beam lasers as my primary weapon and dual class-1 gimballed multi-cannons as my secondary weapon and I feel virtually unstoppable against most enemies.

It's also the only ship I've seen that's fast enough to invoke the game's simulation of g-forces. Going full-throttle and hitting the boosters whilst trying to make a tight turn causes a g-force warning to display and for you to start blacking out.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 14:27 
Excellently Membered

Excellent! I haven't really used the weapons much yet but the fighting I have done I've been terrible at. I think thats mostly because I'm using a mouse and keyboard, which isn't too bad for general piloting but pretty awful for combat.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 14:35 

Something that occurred to me the other day, this with the Occulus Rift sounds really cool but how practical would it be to play if you can't even see your keyboard?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 14:50 

I don't use the keyboard at all, I have everything of use mapped to my X52.

Granted, if you don't have a suitable HOTAS or other controller, you're boned unless you've got excellent muscle memory and touch typing abilities, but I would imagine the sort of people that would drop money on the Oculus Rift (including the consumer version) would spring for a HOTAS too.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 16:49 
Excellently Membered

Agreed. If you want to be the best Goose Man you need a stick or equivalent.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 23:48 

I worry that I wouldn't get on with a HOTAS setup, much like I don't get on with steering wheel controllers in driving games (I even once bought that ludicrously expensive official Microsoft steering wheel for the Xbox 360 once, before having to take it back to the shop a week or two later because I just couldn't get used to it). It puts me off even thinking of spending the money out on one.

With any luck I may get a chance to try out an Oculus Rift at some point, and certainly some of the YouTube videos I've seen of it being used in Elite Dangerous massively appeal to me. For that reason I've learned to use an Xbox 360 controller with the Advanced Pad preset in Elite Dangerous now, as it lets me do everything I need without using the keyboard at all. The only problem I'm currently having is that boost is mapped to clicking the left-stick by default, which has occasionally resulted in me unexpectedly hitting boost when trying to do a tight turn in combat. At one point this meant actually boosting straight into a ship I was trying to avoid and destroying my ship in the process. Might have to find something to swap that with.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 1:30 

Just had my first taste of PVP dogfighting at the Federation distress signal at Eranin 2, and I thought my heart was going to jump right out of my chest. Won one and lost one. Pretty good considering I was scooting around in an Eagle with non-gimballed pulse lasers. The second fight, the one I lost, was a against a Viper, and (s)he took me apart pretty easily, as far as I could tell by going backwards and shooting at me with gimballed weapons. Top tip: Don't just sit there like a moron and shoot back when you're in an Eagle.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:48 

HOTAS makes all the difference, Zio. It really does. I was sceptical too.

Offer of me bringing down my Rift (and HOTAS!) to Hemel when it's all received still stands ;)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 13:52 
Excellently Membered

Made my first million! Quite enjoyed having a larger jump distances but I think now I'll start playing around in the other areas of the game. Need to find a 360 pad though... I knew I should have kept one.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 14:04 
Master of dodgy spelling....

itsallwater wrote:
Made my first million! Quite enjoyed having a larger jump distances but I think now I'll start playing around in the other areas of the game. Need to find a 360 pad though... I knew I should have kept one.

I have a wired one I don't use.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 14:21 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Rub it in, why don't you?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 14:22 
Excellent Member

Grim... wrote:
Rub it in, why don't you?

:D

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 17:36 

GazChap wrote:
HOTAS makes all the difference, Zio. It really does. I was sceptical too.

Offer of me bringing down my Rift (and HOTAS!) to Hemel when it's all received still stands ;)

I would very happily accept that offer, just so you're aware! :D

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 21:09 
Kinda Funny Lookin'

The video on this page maybe the thing that tips me over the edge, it really does look like the dogs bits.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/08 ... ore-228911

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 14:04 
Excellently Membered

The problem with playing this game is that I want to spend all my money on a new graphics card and large monitor. After that I'll also want to but a Rift.

However my 12 pence isn't going to buy me any of those things.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 17:54 

Oculus Rift, then.

Unfortunately, Elite Dangerous doesn't seem to work through work's firewall, and I'm assuming I might have a bit of a time convincing anyone to do anything about that. But I have been able to try out the single-player combat missions and it's absolutely transformed by the Oculus Rift. The resolution is a bit low and I wear glasses for short-sightedness (I know the DK2 comes with corrective lenses, but I've not had time to try any of those out), so I find it really hard to read any of the in-game text, but seriously, my fucking God. Dogfights are incredible when you can naturally track your targets, then quickly glance down at your scanner when they fly out of view. It's an amazing experience.

I want my own Oculus Rift now.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 23:59 
Excellently Membered

Mannnnn it sounds amazing. Not jealous at all!?

Reply to topic  [ 764 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 16  Next