Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 1105 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 23  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Apple Thread
PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:52 
Unpossible!

Mimi wrote:
{...} everywhere I go people sit with their phones, in restaurants and parks, pubs and parties, ignoring each other. It's weird and sad.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:57 

Future Warrior wrote:
You obviously haven't seen gold-plated cars then, or phone cases encrusted with diamonds. Go to Abu Dhabi, there is so much bling tat there as they have more money than they know what to do with. There is a huge market for this.

A gold-plated Lambourghini is still an outrageous hypercar underneath. But the $17k Apple Watch is identical in almost every way to the $349 one; it's just made of gold. It's not a Lambourghini, it's a gold-plated Ford Focus. Are there a lot of those in Abu Dhabi too?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:00 

I don't know what that is, Davpaz?

Have you never seen it, though? Russell and I see it every time we go out. We went out a few times for dinner last week, and everywhere we went there were miserable couples looking at their phones, not speaking to each other.

At a wedding we went to a few weeks ago someone caused a bit of a ruckuss as soon as the ceremony was over and through the reception by insisting people check their phones for football scores and then getting loud and angry because they weren't what they wanted. I just don't think we need to be up to date with every single occurrence, 24 hours a day, when we do get to spend precious time with our friends, families and loved ones.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:02 
Unpossible!

The picture is a "Better Than Life" worst-case scenario about how people may start to live in virtual worlds and let the real world fade.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:04 
Unpossible!

But yes, I've seen it. I work in a University and it's not uncommon to see large groups of people sat around in silence on their smartphones. To be fair though, it doesn't really happen amongst groups of friends, in the refectory for example the buzz of conversation is still as loud as ever.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:05 

I prefer sitting in the corner with a book.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:07 
Unpossible!

Kern wrote:
I prefer sitting in the corner with a book.

Hipster ;)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:10 
Excellent Member

I'm pretty sure there's a middle ground between spending every waking hour looking at your phone vs never even taking it out of the house (which is arguably also an odd attitude in itself); and I suspect the vast majority of people happily occupy that middle ground.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:10 

DavPaz wrote:
The picture is a "Better Than Life" worst-case scenario about how people may start to live in virtual worlds and let the real world fade.

:( Sad idea. I think you can get a lot of strength and support from friends online. Goodness only knows, I know that more than most, but if you ARE lucky enough to have family and friends who are with you, near you, you shouldn't ignore them for the sake of football scores, Twitter feeds and Facebook. Never for Facebook...

I think the thing I don't like about this watch is that I like to get away from constant world contact. When I go out for dinner, or shopping (unless we plan to split up to buy each other surprises, in which case I take it so we can find each other afterwards), I leave my phone at home.

I think if you had a watch that acted as another world contact port, but also used it for something as everyday as checking the time, the ease with which you would leave it all behind, whether at home or in your pocket, would perhaps escape just a little more.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:12 
UltraMod

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
the $4m Lamborghini is identical in almost every way to the $500k one; it's just made of gold.

They are both luxury items. Your gold-plated Ford Focus analogy would be more akin to this:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:16 

Screw the plated Ford Focus. I want a gold BBC Micro

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:17 

And people bought those to show off their wealth, did they?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:18 
UltraMod

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:

No, that's my point. Same as a gold-plated Ford Focus. :)

Do keep up!

Unpossible!

Bamba wrote:
I'm pretty sure there's a middle ground between spending every waking hour looking at your phone vs never even taking it out of the house (which is arguably also an odd attitude in itself); and I suspect the vast majority of people happily occupy that middle ground.

Well, of course. Did that need saying?

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:

No, just to annoy the gold-plated Speccy owners.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:21 
Hibernating Druid

DavPaz wrote:
Mimi wrote:
{...} everywhere I go people sit with their phones, in restaurants and parks, pubs and parties, ignoring each other. It's weird and sad.

Mr Dave's flat is a mess.

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:24 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Here you go. £22,800 for a mid-spec feature phone. Because it's made of shiny materials and is well bling innit.

http://www.vertu.com/gb/en/collections/ ... cgid=12500

It's basically an old Nokia. It's that price because it's bling, exactly like the fancy Apple Watch.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:26 
Unpossible!

Cras wrote:
Here you go. £22,800 for a mid-spec feature phone. Because it's made of shiny materials and is well bling innit.

http://www.vertu.com/gb/en/collections/ ... cgid=12500

It's basically an old Nokia. It's that price because it's bling, exactly like the fancy Apple Watch.

BATPHONE!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:31 
Excellent Member

DavPaz wrote:
Bamba wrote:

As much or as little as anything else we talk about here. Apologies if I'm not hitting your required level of interest or something.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:32 
Unpossible!

Bamba wrote:
DavPaz wrote:
Bamba wrote:

As much or as little as anything else we talk about here. Apologies if I'm not hitting your required level of interest or something.

Apology accepted.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:40 

Bamba wrote:
DavPaz wrote:
Bamba wrote:

Of course, I never said I never take my phone outside the house, I just don't bother with it very often. If I am going to meet somebody somewhere, it's handy in case one party is delayed. If I am going out alone I will take it for safety in case something happens. If I am going to split up with someone to do secret shopping, again it is handy to find them again.

But I don't know why I would take my phone out if I was going out to dinner, or on a shopping trip with a friend, or a wedding, or any other occasion where I was going to be spending time with someone else or a group of friends and family. Answering texts, checking sports, reading Twitter - all of these things can be done at another time.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:40 
Excellent Member

DavPaz wrote:
Bamba wrote:
DavPaz wrote:
Bamba wrote:

Apology accepted.

Go fuck yourself dude. :)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 11:10 
Excellent Member

Mimi wrote:
But I don't know why I would take my phone out if I was going out to dinner, or on a shopping trip with a friend, or a wedding, or any other occasion where I was going to be spending time with someone else or a group of friends and family. Answering texts, checking sports, reading Twitter - all of these things can be done at another time.

It's less about 'why' and more about 'why not'. It's not difficult to think of emergency situations in any scenario where someone might need to urgently contact you, or you them, which can be done if you've got your phone on you. If you don't want to answer texts, checking sports, read Twitter there's an easy solution there: just don't do it.

You're sort of presenting it here as a binary choice between having your phone on you and thus acting anti-socially to a degree vs not having it on you and properly engaging with whomever you're physically with which I don't really understand.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 11:25 
UltraMod

Perhaps she has no will power?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 11:26 
Excellent Member

Future Warrior wrote:

Maybe. I'm answering the question 'why would I take my phone out'. :shrug:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 11:32 

Mimi wrote:
Bamba wrote:
DavPaz wrote:
Bamba wrote:

Of course, I never said I never take my phone outside the house, I just don't bother with it very often. If I am going to meet somebody somewhere, it's handy in case one party is delayed. If I am going out alone I will take it for safety in case something happens. If I am going to split up with someone to do secret shopping, again it is handy to find them again.

I honestly don't really mind this, sometimes the conversation drifts to something that is absolutely of no interest and at those times I think that momentarily taking myself away by looking at my phone is less rude than yelling "SHUT THE FUCK UP ABOUT FUCKING FOOTBALL" into their faces. That said some people do seem to have a problem to the point where they're constantly having to look up from their phones and say "erm, what, sorry" to get someone to repeat what they just asked them. That's just rude.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 11:37 

The trick is to know how to activate the ringer without looking.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 11:40 

Bamba wrote:
Mimi wrote:

It's less about 'why' and more about 'why not'. It's not difficult to think of emergency situations in any scenario where someone might need to urgently contact you, or you them, which can be done if you've got your phone on you. If you don't want to answer texts, checking sports, read Twitter there's an easy solution there: just don't do it.

You're sort of presenting it here as a binary choice between having your phone on you and thus acting anti-socially to a degree vs not having it on you and properly engaging with whomever you're physically with which I don't really understand.

The only person I expect will ever have any reason to contact me quickly is usually with me. He usually takes his phone in case of break down, etc.

I can't really imagine any situation outside of that that requires me to see my phone in any kind of urgency.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 11:45 

Bamba wrote:
Future Warrior wrote:

She actually has incredible amounts of will-power, but that's not what's needed.

I don't have any need, want or feeling to check my phone when I am out, so why carry around an expensive but of extra equipment to bulk out my pocket to not look at it for eight hours to then return home?

It might as well carry around a small frying pan and a can of Mr Muscle if I start toting around things for the sake of it.

If I'm not going to use it, why bring it with me?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 11:48 
Hibernating Druid

Mimi wrote:
But I don't know why I would take my phone out if I was going out to dinner...

To take pictures of your food. Like an Gaywood.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 11:50 

Ever since I was a teenager and phones were first coming in, I've always felt that the moment people get theirs out and start discussing size or features etc is the moment that the conversation had exhausted itself and the evening was drawing to a close.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 11:58 
Excellent Member

Kern wrote:
Ever since I was a teenager and phones were first coming in, I've always felt that the moment people get theirs out and start discussing size or features etc is the moment that the conversation had exhausted itself and the evening was drawing to a close.

That depends on the company you keep. As evidenced by the various Android/iOS threads here, and all the discussion everywhere else on the internet, a lot of people are interested in phone technology in and of itself and not just because they've somehow run out of other things to talk about (does that ever actually happen?).

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 12:00 
Gogmagog

Bamba wrote:
Kern wrote:

That depends on the company you keep. As evidenced by the various Android/iOS threads here, and all the discussion everywhere else on the internet, a lot of people are interested in phone technology in and of itself and not just because they've somehow run out of other things to talk about (does that ever actually happen?).

Yes. Then they get married.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 12:03 
Excellent Member

Mimi wrote:
Bamba wrote:
Future Warrior wrote:

She actually has incredible amounts of will-power, but that's not what's needed.

I don't have any need, want or feeling to check my phone when I am out, so why carry around an expensive but of extra equipment to bulk out my pocket to not look at it for eight hours to then return home?

It might as well carry around a small frying pan and a can of Mr Muscle if I start toting around things for the sake of it.

Your frying pan comparison is, obviously, ludicrous because there's a massive difference in potential utility when out of your house between a mobile communication device and a cooking implement but ultimately (of course!) it's all about whatever works for you. Aside from the fact that I personally can imagine a multitude of situations where I might need to urgently communicate with people who aren't physically with me it's also no hassle at all to stick my phone in my pocket. It costs me nothing even if it sits in there doing nothing for any length of time so again, for me, it's more about 'why not' than 'why'. Whatever works for everyone.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 12:04 

Zardoz wrote:
Mimi wrote:
But I don't know why I would take my phone out if I was going out to dinner...

To take pictures of your food. Like an Gaywood.

I'm going to have to start eating in some more interesting places if I'm going to do that :D

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 12:12 

Bamba wrote:
Mimi wrote:
Bamba wrote:
Future Warrior wrote:

Your frying pan comparison is, obviously, ludicrous because there's a massive difference in potential utility when out of your house between a mobile communication device and a cooking implement but ultimately (of course!) it's all about whatever works for you. Aside from the fact that I personally can imagine a multitude of situations where I might need to urgently communicate with people who aren't physically with me it's also no hassle at all to stick my phone in my pocket. It costs me nothing even if it sits in there doing nothing for any length of time so again, for me, it's more about 'why not' than 'why'. Whatever works for everyone.

Ludicrous for you as you are more likely to use one than the other. You seem to forget that I'm not saying you shouldn't carry your phone around, just that I don't find a use for mine when I'm out, so don't take it with me, so the idea of a watch to further tie people to their devices doesn't appeal to me.

I honestly don't care if you take your phone out, why would I? Even if you were one of those people that sat in a restaurant near me and ignored your wife/friends/parents/kids whilst on your phone I wouldn't care (I'd feel a bit sorry for those being ignored, and think you looked rather silly, but that was it), but I'm sure you'd not do that anyway.

The only time that it would bother me at all would be if you were out to dinner with me, or visiting me at my house, etc, and spent your time with your nose buried in the phone, then I'd find it rude.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 12:22 
Excellent Member

Mimi wrote:
Ludicrous for you as you are more likely to use one than the other.

Are we honestly going to pretend that habitually a mobile phone around is less odd than carrying a frying pan for anyone? Really?

Mimi wrote:
I honestly don't care if you take your phone out, why would I?

I've no idea; I've never at any point claimed that you would. I'm just having a conversation here.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 12:28 
Bad Girl

I don't take my phone out when I'm going to see my friends because I need to, I take it out just in case.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 12:28 

Pretty sure that carrying a mobile phone with you is less likely to lead to Plod feeling your collar late at night.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 12:31 

Mimi wrote:
I can't really imagine any situation outside of that that requires me to see my phone in any kind of urgency.
On three separate occasions, I have grabbed a dog who's roaming loose, phoned the owners from the number on its collar, and returned it safely to them.

I've never seen anyone in a car accident or medical emergency that required me to call 999 immediately, although I did once report what I thought was probably a stolen and abandoned car to the police's non-urgent number.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 12:32 
Bad Girl

And how are you going to take selfies without your phone, aye? Yeah, 'zackly.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 12:47 
Hibernating Druid

Pretty sure I'll always be keeping my phone on me now.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 12:49 
UltraMod

My phone has all my medical info available on the lock screen in case of emergency.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 12:49 

Bamba wrote:
Mimi wrote:
Ludicrous for you as you are more likely to use one than the other.

Are we honestly going to pretend that habitually a mobile phone around is less odd than carrying a frying pan for anyone? Really?

Mimi wrote:
I honestly don't care if you take your phone out, why would I?

I've no idea; I've never at any point claimed that you would. I'm just having a conversation here.

I think you miss the point: I think it's strange to habitually carry around anything you don't use. I'm not applying that to you.

Of course I don't care whether you carry your phone, so if you see re-stating the idea that it is important/useful that you carry your phone despite nobody you shouldn't as a discussion, then so be it, but I don't think it's particularly interesting.

We were discussing the use and appeal of the Smart Watches. I mentioned my lack of interest due to the ways and situations in which I find my phone useful, and saw the watch as an extension thereof. The fact that you carry your phone around doesn't make a discussion of whether I'd find a SmartWatch useful or engaging, though if it makes your phone more useful to you and you would like and can afford one, you should buy one.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 12:58 
Hibernating Druid

Future Warrior wrote:
My phone has all my medical info available on the lock screen in case of emergency.

A big version of this?

:belm:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 13:35 
Excellent Member

Mimi wrote:
I think you miss the point: I think it's strange to habitually carry around anything you don't use. I'm not applying that to you.

Of course I don't care whether you carry your phone, so if you see re-stating the idea that it is important/useful that you carry your phone despite nobody you shouldn't as a discussion, then so be it, but I don't think it's particularly interesting.

We started from the point of you simply saying you don't often take your phone out of the house; that was the viewpoint I essentially questioned because the point of a mobile phone is to carry it with you it seemed vaguely interesting to ask you about it (in a round about way). Yes, I did compare and contrast my own uses in order to frame my comments but I was really asking about you and not just pointlessly stating my own thoughts for no reason and that seems like a weird thing to be accused of here.

Anyway, this has more than run it's course so I'll just shut up now.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 14:22 
Master of dodgy spelling....

MaliA wrote:
Bamba wrote:
Kern wrote:

Yes. Then they get married.

:this:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 11:29 

http://techcrunch.com/2015/03/11/rose_gold/

As good a summary of the case against the Watch Edition as I've read anywhere.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 11:31 
UltraMod

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
http://techcrunch.com/2015/03/11/rose_gold/

As good a summary of the case against the Watch Edition as I've read anywhere.

Yes, this is a good article.

I still think there will be plenty of people with more money than sense who will buy it though, just for the tacky bling factor. Plus it makes me feel so much better about my £319 version.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 11:33 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

What's interesting is that literally every single observer is saying the same thing. The educated tech press perspective is almost entirely redundant - it's quite obviously not worth the money and is just a toy for wankers.

Reply to topic  [ 1105 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 23  Next