Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 72 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Re: Tea and sympathy for an injured Mimi, brrrrmmm screeeetttcch
PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 21:38 

Oooh, look what came up when I put monkey and biscuits into google image search. Ain't that convenient, eh? :)

Mend well soon Mimi, I've been constantly broken/ill since having surgery inside my head two months ago, I can totally sympathise on the feeling crappy thing.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 21:45 

Oh... :(

I've had to go in to hospital a few times for hydrocephalus, which though mild was making me quite poorly, so I sympathise with you.

Hugs all around. Hugs to everyone. Monkey in the middle!

Post subject: Re: 4x4 Excuses
PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 22:04 
baron of techno

Grim... wrote:
Mimi wrote:
If my uncle's car had not been about three times the size of a normal car I think it would have been worse.

See?

Hmm, surely if it had been only the size of one car rather than 3, the chances of hitting it would have been cut by 66%?

Anyway, hope your neck is OK Mimi, I've been suffering from neck pains all yesterday and today, dunno what caused it, fortunately not a car accident..
Currently got lots of ibuprofen swilling about my system and one of those heat pad things taped to my back.
Have <hug> and <biscuit>

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 22:46 
Where are you?

Mimi wrote:
biscuit caterpillar

What an excellent name for a band.

And: get well.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 23:02 
Hibernating Druid

Crikey! Hope you and your folks are not too shook up.

"Where there's a car bashing into you from behind, there's a whiplash claim!"
Zardoz Insurance Services

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 23:35 

Mimi wrote:
from dementia (that's where we were returning from in the car as it happens)

Is that anywhere near Liverpool?

;)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 23:48 
MR EXCELLENT FACE

Grim... wrote:
Mimi wrote:
If my uncle's car had not been about three times the size of a normal car I think it would have been worse.

See?

What happens if the car behind had been a 4x4? Mimi would have been crushed. But then, you say, what happens if they BOTH were 4x4's? Everyone would have been alright, right? Probably. But then you'd be advocating this as a good excuse to get a monster truck! It's an arm's race, wheel-size style.

Also: I hope you get an injury that isn't detrimental in anyway but allows you to steal money from them. Actually, I dissaprove of that menthod, but it's not like they;re going to be banned from driving or anything USEFUL is it? :/
Also, I'm currently surrounded by the following: A pack of Hobnobs, Rich Tea (Untouched), Half a 250g of CDM caramel and 250g of CDM...actually, the CDM appears to have all gone. Damn my idle hands. I also have some super noodles. Which one would you like?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 23:52 
MR EXCELLENT FACE

minkee wrote:

That's excellent. I really like your site; how long did it take you to draw that!? OR had you already made it and now was a very convienant time to reveal it? ;)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 1:34 

Pod wrote:
Also: I hope you get an injury that isn't detrimental in anyway but allows you to steal money from them. Actually, I dissaprove of that menthod, but it's not like they;re going to be banned from driving or anything USEFUL is it? :/
Also, I'm currently surrounded by the following: A pack of Hobnobs, Rich Tea (Untouched), Half a 250g of CDM caramel and 250g of CDM...actually, the CDM appears to have all gone. Damn my idle hands. I also have some super noodles. Which one would you like?

I will have the Hobnobs, please ;)

I have had to get up because my neck is feeling worse now so I can't sleep. I also seem to have bruised my cheek but don't remember anything hitting my face at all. I have taken painkillers so I am just waiting for them them to take effect. I'll wash them down with these Hobnobs.

Also, look - the biscuit ha an 'M' on it - it's a truly special biscuit :D

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 7:36 
Gogmagog

Hope you feel better soonest.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 8:50 

Mimi wrote:
I will have the Hobnobs, please ;)

This is the correct answer.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 9:20 
MR EXCELLENT FACE

B..B.....But Rich Teas go all mushy and if you shovel 50 into your mouth in a serial fashion you end up with a really cool goo inside it! Like when you eat loads of Chip Sticks (Thin Jims)!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:02 
Excellent Member

Pod wrote:
That's excellent. I really like your site; how long did it take you to draw that!? OR had you already made it and now was a very convienant time to reveal it? ;)

About half an hour. I had been drawing penguins all week, and colouring bears all weekend, so I was well and truly in the penguin-drawing-and-colouring zone. I don't happen to have a stash of animal / food / letter combos just waiting for people to bash themselves about. ;P

Feeling better this morning Mimimi?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:19 

I am feeling OK, though I think that the pain got worse overnight as it hurts more today than yesterday, and I never got much/any sleep really, so a bit spaced out. Still, I made it to the doctors and she said there will be no lasting injury and that I should feel fine in a week or too. I have some whiplash sprain in my neck and she said that's what is making my head hurt, which in turn is making me feel snappy, but painkillers will help in both these things. it's underneath my should that is hurting most, though. Again, it should only be a temporary thing, at least.

All in all, I am OK. Also bought some cookies on the way back from the doctors, so can't be all bad.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:35 
Where are you?

Pod wrote:

If they were driving like a twonk, I see no problem with that. I was in a major car accident when I was 11. We were travelling along a road at about 60 when we were hit head-on by a car that was overtaking a car whose driver later admitted to breaking the speed limit. The car that hit us was on the wrong side of the road, overtaking on a bend, on a hill and in the dark.

My dad was lucky to survive, and spent weeks in hospital (where he essentially had to have help to walk, due to most of the bones in his foot being wrecked, and an arm having five breaks and a dislocation). My mother appeared OK, but years later, her initial 'aches and pains' (which we didn't get fully documented) 'blossomed' into worse problems, and likely caused her sciatica. I was lucky in that I wasn't wearing a seat-belt (back then, they weren't typically fitted in the back), but rather than being hurled through the windshield, I simply smacked into the seat in front (and, again luckily, not my mother), causing damage to my knees and face.

The bloke who was in the car who hit us (who also, due to the speed he was travelling had, somehow also managed to hit the car he was overtaking) got, as I recall, three points on his driving licence, and the pay-out totalled around six grand for all three of us. My parents regretted not taking the person to the cleaners, due to their disdain for us (they refused to accept any responsibility), and the fact they were driving like a total prick.

Upshot: if it's a genuine accident, let it go. If it isn't, and there's a chance you could end up in pain or having problems in your life, nail them. Also, get whatever is happening to you documented by your GP, because if it turns out you have been hurt, you will need that documentation later

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:38 
Goth

Oh no! Sorry to hear of this. Hope you feel okay.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:44 

It was a genuine accident in the fact that I assume he didn't mean to hit us, but the way he was driving you might well thing it was purposeful.We were in completely stationary traffic. There was a few feet gap behind and the guy came shooting out of the side road at a speed you wouldn't believe and turned so sharply that he went straight into the back of us. My uncle and the police tried to ge it out of him what he was doing, but his English was too poor for any meaningful communication.

The police told me to go to the doctor, which I have done. I am in pain, more so than yesterday, and a bit fed up, but I am OK. I am worried about it getting worse, though, as it has worstened overnight when I was fully expecting to improve overnight.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:45 

Thanks, Nirejhenge.

Laying on the floor feels good.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:57 

Mimi wrote:
I am worried about it getting worse, though, as it has worstened overnight when I was fully expecting to improve overnight.

Usually (I find) when I trash myself off my bike, have a mammoth tattoo session or any other body knackering kinda incident happens to me (it tends to happen a lot to me, I toy with these things too much), it's always the day or two afterwards that hurts the most, much more than on the day. Adrenaline kicking in and such really helps at the time. So don't worry about it feeling worse today, I would say that is normal, give it a week and hopefully you'll be a lot better.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:58 
Comfortably Dumb

Mimi wrote:
Thanks, Nirejhenge.

Laying on the floor feels good.

Are you typing this from the floor?

Get well soon. :)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:59 
Where are you?

Mimi wrote:
The police told me to go to the doctor, which I have done. I am in pain, more so than yesterday, and a bit fed up, but I am OK. I am worried about it getting worse, though, as it has worstened overnight when I was fully expecting to improve overnight.

If it does get worse, see the doctor again, and get that noted.

Quote:
It was a genuine accident in the fact that I assume he didn't mean to hit us, but the way he was driving you might well thing it was purposeful.

I suppose I was trying to figure the difference between what I would consider careless and/or dangerous driving (which this sounds like, frankly) with someone that does something with less impact (in all senses).

I don't believe the person who hit my dad's car when I was a kid meant to hit anyone, but the way he was driving almost made it inevitable. The same kind of seems true for you. Was the idiot driver even insured?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 11:09 

Yes, he had insurance - the police took all of the details and noted the damage to both the car and the fact that I was hurt. They called the ambulance (the police were there in, literally, seconds as they were overseeing the traffic coming out of Wembley stadium), and both the police and ambulance crew told me to go to the doctors first thing today. As I say, I'm hoping it will improve over the next couple of day, but if it does get worse I will go back to the doctors, for documentation of that fact if nothing more positive.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 11:14 
UltraMod

Poor Meems, hope you're ok!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 11:16 
Excellent Member

Go the doctors, seriously. Get yourself checked over. Forget the "its a claim" stuff, what you really need is to check that you don't have any lasting damage.

Book me in the Face | Tweet me. Tweet me like a British nanny.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 11:21 

I've been to the doctors, Plissken - I went this morning, but thankyou :). She said she thinks I will be OK, I'm just in pain at the moment, which seems to have increased overnight - but it shouldn't be lasting (which is, of course, the main thing), but I will go back if it starts to hurt any more. As was said, maybe adrenaline helped to numb the pain, or maybe it is because it is just impossible to lie down/sit/stand without it hurting. Also, I never got to sleep until about 7:30 this morning, so maybe being tired is making it feel worse as I am finding it hard to take my mind off of the ache. I am going to lay on the floor and listen to audiobooks...

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 11:24 

Mimi wrote:
With a bottle? Do you mean at 1am this morning or in the middle of the day? Were you hurt?

It was about 6:15 yesteray morning, at a bus stop, while on my way to work. The guy was clearly drunk and disturbed (and disturbing) and grabbed hold of me and started pushing a glass bottle (unbroken, thankfully) into my chest and saying "do you want some? I'll fackin' 'ave you!". I pushed him off and he started trying to punch me, but it wasn't too difficult to dodge them. I wasn't hurt, but a little shaken.

What really bothered me though, was the attitude of people nearby. No one tried to intervene or said anything.I went into the shop that this happened outside and pointed out there was a mad drunk outside their shop, attacking people with a bottle, and they might want to call the police and the guy behind the counter just laughed, said they didn't have a phone and just carried on serving customers. It's that, rather than the initial incident which is making me wonder if I want to spend the rest of my life in London, if people don't give a shit and laugh at you when you ask for help.

Anyway, never mind that, how's your neck doing? You should definitely be bothering doctors if it's getting worse. (Edit: just seen you've been to the doc's - keep going back if it doesn't get better.)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 11:26 
What-ho, chaps!

I think you should keep going to the doctor's over and over again, Mimi. It seems it's the only way everybody's going to be satisfied you're okay. :)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 11:29 

Also, have you considered seeking medical advice from some kind of general practicioner?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 11:32 

You know, I think I might just go to the doctors and get it checked out... :P

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 11:47 
Excellent Member

I'd go see a quack. Although if he recommends a course of leeches, get a second opinion.

Book me in the Face | Tweet me. Tweet me like a British nanny.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 11:54 
UltraMod

Then get the old beak involved.

*runs*

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 14:05 

No need to get in a flap.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 14:37 
baron of techno

If you get all your ducks in a row, the legal process could result in a nice little nest egg.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 15:47 
I forgot about this - how vain

Eek, hope you feel better soon Mimi.

Faith schools, scientologists and 2-D platform games.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 16:15 
Excellent Member

kalmar wrote:
If you get all your ducks in a row, the legal process could result in a nice little nest egg.

But be careful, a bill could take an unexpected chunk out of you.

Erm, or something.

Nik, that's really bad! I find it frightening to think that such emotionally callous people exist. I'd like to think that people on the whole would help out here in Cardiff, hope its never put to the test.

Bored? Why not look at some pretty pictures on my photography blog? Here: http://petetakespictures.com

Come & See My Flickery Pics Here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/nervouspete/

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 16:22 

Drunks are annoying. I almost ran over five (yes, five, count 'em!) drunkards last night on the way back from the pub quiz. They were just ambling across the road in their stupor. Didn't even bother looking before they stepped out in front of me.

It's a bloody good job my brakes work.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 10:28 
Best
Board Mother

That's awful Mimi, how are you feeling now?

It must have been a weekend for it - I did my advanced diving and could barely walk, had difficulty even driving home on the Sunday, I have to prepare myself every time I needed to use my clutch!

Then on Tuesday it was Sam's 13th birthday, he started it by falling down the stairs :roll: we then spent the morning at the hospital with him strapped to a back board and with a neck brace on and supports next to his head (he went from top to bottom). Fun! Hopefully that is all the BETEO injuries for this year!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 10:31 
Skillmeister

Crikey moses. Is he alright now? Nothing serious, I hope.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 11:55 

Oh no - not a good birthday at all :(

Is Sam up and about now or does he have to wear a collar? Also, how did you hurt yourself whilst doing your advanced diving/driving? (I assumed driving, but hey, maybe you are an advanced diver?)

Either way I hope that you are both up and about.

I'm feeling fine now - my shoulder is still a bit painful, but I think that was after pulling my suitcase along at the train station, but I am feeling much better and not nearly as grumpy as I did when my neck was hurting so badly, because the lack of sleep was making me angry :P

Well, gently gently hugs to you and your family of acrobats x

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 14:29 
Most Excellent Pagan Wench

Everyone who's feeling shitty needs to get well soon!

Whiplash is nasty Mimi, I hope you feel better and the idiot who hit you has to shell out lots :)

I managed to pull a ligament in my foot/ankle a few days ago and it's still keeping me from walking much. I blame my medical condition as there is no reason for this silly injury..all I was doing was walking a bit :p

I think everyone needs a big fat hot chocolate with whipped cream and marshmellows. Yes.
In fact I think I'll mine soon....

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 15:00 
lazy eye patch

Quote:
making me wonder if I want to spend the rest of my life in London, if people don't give a shit and laugh at you when you ask for help.

Now, look here, I won't have that. Londoners have an excellent reputation as friendly, conscientious and intelligent folks, who view order, sensible regulations, and the well-being of others to be paramount within their beatific little corner of the world. Now try again, but honestly this time.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 17:44 
Best
Board Mother

Mimi wrote:
Oh no - not a good birthday at all :(

Is Sam up and about now or does he have to wear a collar? Also, how did you hurt yourself whilst doing your advanced diving/driving? (I assumed driving, but hey, maybe you are an advanced diver?)

Either way I hope that you are both up and about.

I'm feeling fine now - my shoulder is still a bit painful, but I think that was after pulling my suitcase along at the train station, but I am feeling much better and not nearly as grumpy as I did when my neck was hurting so badly, because the lack of sleep was making me angry :P

Well, gently gently hugs to you and your family of acrobats x

Sam is fine, it was more a precaution as it hurt him to move his head.

It was scuba diving that I was doing, I just ached really, not used to the weight of all the equipment, Ilast dived in the red sea (and that was two years ago) and it is very different to diving over here with all the extra gear needed.

Glad to hear you're on the mend though :)

Reply to topic  [ 72 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next