Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 265 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Dishono(u)red
PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:31 
Paws for thought

I bought dishonoured 2 a few months back, but still haven't got round to playing it.

Need to finish Zelda first.
And maybe both dark souls 3 dlcs.
And dishonoureds dlcs.

Going to be a while then...

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 21:38 
Gogmagog

I am still playing through the definitive edition and just did the brothel level. I was really clever, quiet and sneaky and manages to only kill 32 people, but the last one was an accident.

It's really good.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:45 
Gogmagog

Pushing on, i accidentally murdered about 5 guards, and then a couple more as I decided to sound tne alarm myself. Then I accidentally killed some named guy and a madman. After a bit if light robbing, i ended up facing an open bit before a bridge with an Arc Pylon and it either kills me, or tje guards throw rocks at me. I drowned a dog by possessing it and walking it into the river to make myself cheer up a bit. Anyhoo, do i need to kill these Arc Pylons on my way to Take Care if tbe Searchlights? Or do i have to avoid them?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 21:22 
Gogmagog

Another successful stealth infiltration to kidnap some doctor. Only 38 dead!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:07 
Hello Hello Hello

I have picked this up again since new PC, as I don't have to worry about my framerate randomly deciding to shit itself because the engine was doing something slightly different to what it was doing 85 seconds ago when I thought I'd finally got all the settings right. (Last time around I stopped in the middle of Level 2 and decided it'd be one to start again when I got a better computer.)

So what's what I've done. My saves from last time were still available because CLOUD but I thought it'd be better to start from fresh to re-familiarise myself with it all, and also switch from Emily to Corvo as I wasn't much feeling it for Emily.

Finished Level 2 last night, linear time for the level was nearly 4 hours but if you count going back to saves to retry the same sections multiple times to get encounters I was satisfied with I'd say you could safely add another couple of hours onto that.

First run through will be low chaos with zero kills, and then I'll go for the high chaos KILL EVERYTHING run afterwards. (Low chaos is a lot more difficult, especially with zero kills, but so satisfying when you negotiate a tricky section and manage to get through with nothing more violent than strangling a few guards.)

I like the phrase DocG used earlier in this thread, that each level is 'picked clean' before moving onto the next. (The game design is clearly designed to encourage this, as enemies never repsawn or wake up (even between saves/loads and closing the game down and opening it up again)), and you almost never find yourself moving past a point where it becomes impossible to retrace your steps to earlier in the level to find stuff you've missed. If you are triggering something that would cause this to happen, you get an onscreen choice to move on or stay where you are for longer.

I also like to work out all the different ways that could be employed to get past a major obstacle in any given level, so for example the big 'wall' as it were in Level 2 is a Wall Of Light that you have to get past. I found four ways to get past it (traverse upwards and around, kill the power, possess and evade, go through an infested building), and there may have been more.

EDIT - Turns out there were 5 - http://www.ign.com/wikis/dishonored-2/M ... _the_World

End of level screen from Level 2, there are another couple of screens that list extra objectives and challenges, all of which were completed. (Quite surprised I missed so many coins.)

Attachment:
Screenshot 2017-09-28 at 07.57.42.png

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 22:41 
Hello Hello Hello

7:50pm - Mrs Hearthly and Jnr go upstairs. I say to myself, 'I'll just play a bit of Dishonored 2 and then make my tea.'

10:41pm - Better make something to eat then.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:15 
Hello Hello Hello

Did 'THE CLOCKWORK MANSION' level over the last couple of nights, that's a pretty epic piece of game design isn't it? Took a fair old while to find everything!

It was nice to be able to destroy the shit out of the mechanical solider things, as that doesn't add to the chaos rating.

Thanks to my obsession with finding all the runes, I've been able to max out Agility, Blink, Bend Time and Dark Vision, as well as get some nice Bonecharms - so I can do a variety of pretty fancy stealthy non-lethal takedowns.

I am looking forward to the high chaos run though, when absolutely fucking anything and everything will get killed in a variety of amusing and gruesome ways.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:17 

Hearthly wrote:
Did 'THE CLOCKWORK MANSION' level over the last couple of nights, that's a pretty epic piece of game design isn't it?
It might not even be the best level in the game. Look out for A Crack In The Slab. It's... well, you'll see.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 20:50 
Hello Hello Hello

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Look out for A Crack In The Slab. It's... well, you'll see.

Crikey, that's an astonishingly good game level.

It's taken me three evenings' worth of play to feel I've done it properly, there's just so much going on, none of it unnecessary padding or fluff or filler, every perfectly crafted square inch a joy to explore and play around with - and that's the key with this game (and Dishonored before it), it really wants you to play with it.

One of the loading screen tips is 'save your game often', and the ultra-fast F5/F9 quicksave/quickload is clearly in there to encourage the player to bugger about to his/her's heart's content, and test/try/hone/refine/experiment/etc until you get the result you're after - and A Crack In The Slab is perhaps the ultimate iteration of that design.

A truly fantastic videogame experience.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:37 
Hello Hello Hello

Should be finishing the low chaos run tonight, just got the final stretch of the last level to do. As I had a ridiculous abundance of cash at the last Black Market shop I was able to have a proper splurge and max out all my weaponry - I had all the blueprints as well, so was able to turn the pistol into a pinpoint accurate sniper rifle, with a really cool looking scope on it (amongst other awesome upgrades for the crossbow, grenades, etc), the sniper pistol used a 'craftsman' blueprint or whatever the special orange ones are called.

That allowed me to have a bit of a twat about with a killing rampage, and then returning to a save point to do things 'properly'. There was one particularly amusing highly-zoomed headshot from halfway across the map that invoked a really cool swooshy bullet-time style effect and resulted in a witch's head being gratuitously popped open at the end of it.

As much as I've enjoyed the challenge of the low chaos run, there's no real getting away from the fact that slaughtering all the baddies is ultimately more fun and satisfying than choking them out or putting them to sleep, so I'm very much looking forward to the high chaos run. (Although my allies will no doubt disapprove of all the killing and I'll get a bad ending to the story itself.)

A remarkably accomplished game experience for sure, I've been so invested in the game and its world that, for example, I've taken the time to direct the heart at all major characters and keep squeezing it until Jessamine has nothing more to say about them, and I've done it god knows how many times for normal NPCs (the ones where she just has a single piece of information), there are a huge number of them in there overall - surprisingly little repetition. (And some of them are really creepy.)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 20:32 
Hello Hello Hello

Low chaos run all done - bugger me that was incredible.

Now onto HIGH CHAOS DIE MOTHERFUCKERS run.

This 'New Game+' mode looks like a tasty option......

I think I'll do Corvo again, as I'd like to see how the story pans out in both chaos modes from the same perspective.

Attachment:
newgameo.JPG

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:58 
Hello Hello Hello

What an inspired mode NEW GAME+ is, even though it's a sort of easy mode really, since it starts you with enough runes to max out several powers (well, the same number of runes you'd collected by the end of the normal game run, so the more you got, the better), AND you get Emily's and Corvo's powers to choose from, AND you've got all previously collected blueprints available from the first Black Market shop onwards (albeit you still need to collect money to spend there). I guess one could ramp up the difficulty to compensate but the baddies become a little bit annoyingly 'clairvoyant' once you get above Normal difficulty.

Playing with the 'death' toolset is absurdly good fun, Domino and Doppelganger work well together, and thanks to the blueprint overload one can start to max out weapons very early on too. The way I'm saving and loading just to try the same encounter lots of different ways reminds me of the original Max Payne, (when I did the same thing), duel-wielding Ingrams and taking out a room of goons with all the bullet time stuff going on. Then reloading the section and doing it again because it's just so damn cool.

TBH this run of Dishonored 2 is almost a sort of 'tourist run sandbox murder extravaganza', but in a good way, not in a Mexican drug cartel kind of way.

I am of the firm belief that Dishonored and Dishonored 2 are two of the finest videogames ever created.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 22:41 
Hello Hello Hello

Not going overly subtle for my high chaos playthrough.

(The bodies are disappearing because I've got fully upgraded Shadow Kill which turns all enemies to ash after they die, and sometimes spawns bloodflies (which is why there are some of them flying around), plus the screen goes a bit wibbly ass Corvo gets andrenalized off all the killing.)

I'm not overly sold on Shadow Kill TBH, I think I prefer having slain enemies everywhere.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 1:15 
Rude Belittler

Crack in the Slab is good, sure. But I think Effect and Cause from Titanfall 2 (which came out first) is a better iteration of the same idea.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:54 
Hello Hello Hello

Pundabaya wrote:
Crack in the Slab is good, sure. But I think Effect and Cause from Titanfall 2 (which came out first) is a better iteration of the same idea.

From memory they were released about a month apart so it's probably safe to say there was no plagiarism going on :)

I'd say The Clockwork Mansion and Crack In The Slab are perhaps Dishonored 2's 'marquee' levels but the truth is that every level in the game, every square inch of every level is exquisitely, lovingly designed - it's a stunningly accomplished game world and a joy to immerse oneself in.

I can't comment on Titanfall 2 as I've never got round to buying it, although doubtless it's super-cheap now so it might be worth it just for the single player.

TECH CHAT - Windows 10's built-in Game DVR is really good, that footage was captured with it but that's after it's gone through the YouTube compression boss. The raw clips are amazingly high quality, albeit with equally daunting file sizes.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 22:48 
Hello Hello Hello

All done, Low and High Chaos playthrough as Corvo. Not going to bother with an Emily playthrough, certainly for the time being. (And I've already seen the best of her powers thanks to the NEW GAME+ mode playthrough as Corvo).

Low Chaos was more challenging and rewarding, although High Chaos delivered more in the way of murderous entertainment and rampaging.

The multiple endings were IMO not as well done as those of the original game. There are still three possibilities, Low Chaos 'Good' Ending, High Chaos 'Good' Ending and High Chaos 'Bad' Ending - but they're not particularly well told or even that different TBH, I certainly didn't get the sense of having left three very different worlds behind as I did in the original.

Also, the game world and characters around me didn't seem to change so much, nothing even remotely close to Samuel turning his back on me in disgust as happened in Dishonored.

ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
Jessamine's final goodbye in High Chaos was quite poignant though, as she basically says she doesn't care about you anymore and just wants to be released into the void.

Will get onto the DLC at some point but I'm a bit Dishonored-out at the moment and fancy a change of scenery, so I'll get straight into Prey I think. (Plus the DLC isn't supposed to be amazeballs anyway.)

OVERALL - A fantastic game and would totally recommend it, but doesn't quite soar like the original did.

DISHONORED - 925/1000
DISHONORED 2 - 905/1000

Attachment:
disso2o.JPG

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 14:05 
Bad Girl

I’ve been playing Death of the Outsider on the Xbox and, for whatever reason, I’m enjoying it more than the main campaign so far but I think it’s because I know I’m not in for a 20 hour opus but something more short and sweet, which is what I’m in the mood for.

It looks great on the X1X an’ all.

There’s still the overlapping sound problems from before and how people 20 feet below you can sound like they’re right next to you.

Mind you I’ve replayed the opening mission because I killed a guy on accident, and it was even better second time around cause I was a sneaky fucking Ninja.

So far: me likey.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 0:07 
Bad Girl

Just finished The Bank Job mission. I’d say it’s just as good as any of the best missions Dishonoured 2 had to offer. I had so much fun knocking about I managed the bank job, steal everything that wasn’t nailed down, complete all the side missions/contracts and generally zipped and zapped about like the best ninja. I got spotted a fair few times, had to disable the odd trouble maker and stole a couple of faces to wear. Turned out that I’d spent 2-3 hours on this level alone with a 7 hour total playtime. I could have played the Battlefront 2 campaigns twice already. All this for a tenner seems like excellent value for money and I’ve got two more missions left to play.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:08 
Hello Hello Hello

I've got into the DLC in the last couple of days, I bought it a couple of weeks ago (cheap key from G2A) but wasn't immediately taken with it, however I think that's 'cause I was still a bit 'Dishonored-out' from two back-to-back playthroughs and not that there's anything wrong with the DLC.

Coming to it with a fresher pair of eyes I've now got right back in the groove with it, it's kind of the same but different enough to be interesting with the new powers and abilities. Nice to see Daud back although Michael Madsen doesn't sound very well.

Billie herself is shaping up to be a good character, and killing the Outsider himself is certainly an unexpected goal. (No spoilers there, since that's literally in the name of the expansion.)

Hope that doesn't mean there'll be no Dishonored 3 though, since he's always been kind of pivotal to it all.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:01 
Paws for thought

Hearthly wrote:
Hope that doesn't mean there'll be no Dishonored 3 though, since he's always been kind of pivotal to it all.

Say hello to prequels.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:30 
Hello Hello Hello

Dishonored - The Phantom Outsider

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 13:18 
Excellent Member

Did anyone else (I'm looking at Hearthly here) play Dishonored 2 on the PC? I'm still working my way through it but wondering if anyone else found it really fucking buggy? To wit:

• The very first splash screen that comes up with a thin yellow loading bar takes a massively variable amount of time to go through; it genuinely swings between extremes of three minutes or ten seconds. Someone on Steam did suspect this was the copy protection just being shite, which wouldn't surprise me, but just curious if anyone else got it.
  • I'm playing with a control pad because I'm not mental. However the button prompts keep randomly switching between mouse/keyboard and actual pad buttons. Within ten seconds I can see a whole difference selection of prompts level of random. In fact at one point I had to go into the KBAM section of the control options to invert the Y axis because doing it in the Control Pad section was having no effect. This was after playing it for a few sessions with no issues at all.
  • In certain sections of certain levels I'm getting literally the worst level of hitching I've ever experienced in any game. Like the entire game just hangs for a few seconds at a time, and this will happens five or six times in a minutes. I've dropped a few visual settings down but nothing's made any difference. The fact that it only happens in certain sections is the only thing keeping it from being game-ruining given how awful it is.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 13:32 
Hello Hello Hello

1) Yes, although my swings weren't as extreme as yours. Quite annoying though.

2) Can't comment. Bamba is crazy.

3) It was quite bad on my old PC, in fact performance was so variable it was one of the main reasons I shelved the game on that PC. Once I got my new PC it was fine, although there were still little chugs/hitches in the same places that they'd happened on the old PC but far worse. (Again though, even on my old PC I had nothing as bad as you're describing.) It really isn't a well optimised game at all, and maybe Denuvo or whatever the fuck it's called is something to do with it as well.

I definitely felt like my new PC was simply brute-forcing through the game's issues, it didn't feel 'elegant', if that makes sense.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 13:35 
Excellent Member

The performance issues are weird because when they're not happening the game is silky smooth as fuck so it's not like it's teetering on the edge of being shit all the time or anything. It just seems to be certain level layouts cause it to utterly shit the bed.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 14:38 
Paws for thought

I bought it on pc, but delayed playing it due to reported bugginess and judder.

Still yet to try it, mind.

Reply to topic  [ 265 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next