Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: Web builders and domain names
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 13:46 
a creature of fathomless grace

So, I have been using Wix to make a couple of websites (thanks for the recommendation, it's super easy fast and brilliant!) but have now hit a very VERY annoying brick wall - one which I'm hoping someone can help me with!

I have bought domain names for each of the websites, gone to the domain name panel to attach my lovely Wix website to the domain and... BOOM! Sorry, you can't use your own domain name unless you upgrade to premium. Which is about a tenner a month. Per website. Bastards. >:(

Weebly will let me use my own domain name, but the web builder sucks in comparison to Wix - plus I have already put together what I want in Wix so will be a bit peeved to have to start all over again.

Does anyone have any suggestions for getting around this?! Curio suggested there may be a way to pull out the html of my Wix website and dump it elsewhere with my domain name, but I haven't got a clue how to do it...

Post subject: Re: Web builders and domain names
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 14:30 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

I don't know how to fix the problem, sorry.. but what domain name would they make you use? Would it be wix.com/something?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 14:40 

TheVision wrote:
I don't know how to fix the problem, sorry.. but what domain name would they make you use? Would it be wix.com/something?

Yeah it's http://www.myaccountname.wix.com/websitename. Plus there's a huge Wix ad banner sitting at the bottom of the page which gets in the way of the home page image :(

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 14:50 

Uhhh... if Wiz is all that super easy fast brilliant, isn't it worth paying for? A tenner a month isn't much to spend in the hosted services game.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 14:55 

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Uhhh... if Wiz is all that super easy fast brilliant, isn't it worth paying for? A tenner a month isn't much to spend in the hosted services game.

It's going to be £20 a month as I have two to put up, plus you have to commit for a year to get that price. I don't know whether I want to commit to that as they're both for start-up work things that may or may not work out.

I agree it's worth paying for a partiicularly good service, but if there is a free solution then that's a lot better for me at the moment as I have no idea whether I'll want to keep them! I could pay monthly and do a trial run I suppose, even if it is the more expensive way of doing it...

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 16:11 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Problem is, any free service is going to come with advertising or some other downside - because they want to encourage you to pay.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 16:15 

Craster wrote:
Problem is, any free service is going to come with advertising or some other downside - because they want to encourage you to pay.

Indeed. I don't mind ads in general, just that it covers up such a big section of the page! So it's less put up with some advertising if you can't cough up the premium fee and more completely forcing you to pay. Which annoys me!

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ]