Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 783 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
 Post subject: Re: Wii-U
PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 22:50 
Bad Girl

The WiiU hasn't got any waggle controls. This is just typical Mario-esq fare with about the right inertia. The controls are absolutely fine. Left/right, jump, grab. It ain't the most difficult moveset yet he can combine it for a range of moves quite well.

Plus it's a rather nice platformer from the few levels I've played tonight.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 22:59 
Hello Hello Hello

DKC Tropical Freeze is an incredibly good game, 100% completion from me, even though it did make me tear my hair out somewhat at times. (The posts must be further back in this thread somewhere.....)

Utterly sumptuous to look at too, wonderful music and sounds, lots of gorgeous little touches all the way through.

The K-O-N-G levels are a serious challenge.

viewtopic.php?p=825906#p825906

Fantastic stuff.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 23:00 
Hello Hello Hello

Ahhh yes :)

Attachment:
100percent.JPG

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 10:39 
SavyGamer

My issue wasn't with the I out method but the movement.

Feels a little bit unresponsive. I don't like the jumping arc at all, and it just doesn't feel very nice to control.

This is obviously a highly subjective matter that is also tricky to pin down specifically what the issues are in words.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 20:29 
Bad Girl

Was Donkey Kong Country always this absolutely fantastic?

I've played not a one. Ever. Donkey Kong himself is brilliantly realised. He's fun, he's ace, he emotes, he's got a corkin' wee face on him, he bangs his hands on the floor, he's just awesome. Who knew.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 22:14 
Hello Hello Hello

Saturnalian wrote:
Was Donkey Kong Country always this absolutely fantastic?

I've played not a one. Ever. Donkey Kong himself is brilliantly realised. He's fun, he's ace, he emotes, he's got a corkin' wee face on him, he bangs his hands on the floor, he's just awesome. Who knew.

I bought the original DKC for my SNES back in the day, and it mesmerised me at the time. (It had a battery backup in the cart to save your progress, which was cool. Very expensive though, £59.99 IIRC, and that was a fuckton of money to me back then, but I still felt it was reasonable considering the majesty of the game.)

TBH I lost track of the (hnnngh) 'franchise' all the way from the SNES right up to the Wii-U, and picked it up again with DKC Tropical Freeze.

DKC Tropical Freeze was like an instantaneous timewarp to twenty years ago, it's that good, it fired up the same synapses in my brain that had me loving the original so much. Even though it doesn't technically impress to the same degree as the original did perhaps - (although I'd say DKCTF is one of the finest looking and sounding games I've witnessed in many years, because it's not all about the polygon count, and it does run at a flawless 720p@60FPS which gives it that gorgeous feel) - I'd definitely put it very near the top of my gaming experiences of the last decade.

If you like DKCTF then definitely get Rayman Legends as well, because that's improbably wonderful too.

DKC also served up one of my favourite pieces of videogame music ever. Remember this was all generated by the SNES's internal sound chip, and wasn't spooled off a CD or suchlike.

You tried any of the 'K' levels in DKCTF then? They're quite tricky :D

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 22:31 
Bad Girl

I've only just got to world 2 so I'm not exactly rushing through it but already I think I'm enjoying it more than, say, Super Mario 3D World. Mind you I haven't played the New Super Mario which it probably has more in common with.

Ain't it bloody difficult though? In a good way. I've died a shit ton and yet it hands out extra lives like candy.

The music and graphics are top notch too. Especially the music which is glorious. And secrets levels? It has more in common with Super Mario World than SM3DW ever did with its linear level progression.

I can't be happier with this at the minute. It's perfect for dipping in and out of.

Have I played Rayman: Legends? Was that the first of the new style drawings? If so, I completed it on the Vita and probably raved about it in the Vita thread cause it was ace best. If you're on about the latest one (that had the demo with the rock music level) then I haven't played that one but I hear it's more of the same. I think I'd be best doing one platformer and then doing something entirely different for a while before trying another. You can get burned out even with amazing games.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 20:48 
Bad Girl

Donkey Kong is so fucking joyous it hurts. Grassland Groove was such a pleasure to play through I thought a puppet Simba was going to be held out at the end of the level. What a fab little level.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 21:03 
Hello Hello Hello

Saturnalian wrote:
Donkey Kong is so fucking joyous it hurts. Grassland Groove was such a pleasure to play through I thought a puppet Simba was going to be held out at the end of the level. What a fab little level.

What 'difficulty level' are you playing it on? (It's not an official difficulty level in that you select it before you play, you can simply choose how much you want to accomplish in each level.)

Getting through the levels isn't too challenging, but if you want to step it up a notch, collect all the K-O-N-G letters and puzzle pieces on every level, and find all the secret levels too :)

That then opens up each island's special 'K' level, and ultimately the secret island at the end of the game.

But yes, you're quite right, 'joyous' is entirely the right word for this game. I much preferred it to Super Mario 3D World, to be honest.

Be prepared for some serious (but fair!) teeth-gnashing difficulty as you work your way forwards though, especially if you're getting all the K-O-N-G letters, puzzle pieces, and then moving onto the 'K' level at the end of each island.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 21:25 
Bad Girl

I can normally get the KONG on my play through but the puzzle pieces are a nightmare. Some are hidden behind a single banana to trigger something off. I don't just whisk off to the end as I'll keep stabbing away until I've got as much as I can find. It's so fab I'll take my time to explore or I'd just be flying through to the end which is less fun than 'doing' the level properly.

I've just been doing some paperwork for five minutes whilst playing the music for the first level over and over. It's that good. I love the real instrument sounds you can just tell whoever was playing that music was having a fucking blast performing it.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 21:51 
Bad Girl

Those water-levels on Donkey Kong can fuck right off.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 23:33 
Bad Girl

And world 6-5 can fuck right off, an' all.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 23:12 
Bad Girl

The last boss? He can fuck off.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 23:19 

I think you should stop playing that game.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 9:25 
Hello Hello Hello

When I was playing through the trickier levels (and some of them are REALLY tricky if you're determined to get all the KONG letters and puzzle pieces), there were times when I was actually writing letters to the developer in my head, complaining about Design Choice A or Level Design B, and suchlike.

On more than one occasion I had to go and do something else for a while instead, such was my RAGE.

But then, I'd come back to it with a clear head, and I'd get past the section or level in question, and I'd feel such jubilation, and I'd cheerfully carry on.

The thing is, as hair-pullingly, teeth-grindingly frustrating as it is at times, it's also scrupulously fair, there are no random elements, the collision detection is perfect and consistent, there are no crazy cameras to contend with - etc etc.

It is an unusually stiff challenge though, especially if you've got used to how games tend to work these days, whereby a simple grind will get through stuff in the end - DKCTF doesn't work like that, you have to put in enough of a skilful performance to get through the section in question, or it will simply kill you - forever.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 11:56 
Bad Girl

LISTEN TO THE MUSIC.

WATCH THE DANCING TREES.

LISTEN TO THE KEY CHANGES (there's 5 of them) (FOR ONE LEVEL) (THIS MUSIC IS NEVER REPEATED AGAIN) (AMAZE).

WATCH THE DANCING GIRAFFES.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 10:06 
Participant in dramatic games

wasn't interested in this game at all, but wow, that clip looks invinting, such fun to just mock around..

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 9:31 
UltraMod

Super Mario Maker - Polygon 9.5 http://www.polygon.com/2015/9/2/9190435 ... endo-wii-u

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 10:17 
Excellent Member

Future Warrior wrote:

I prefer it when companies actually make my video games for me.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 10:27 
UltraMod

Bamba wrote:
Future Warrior wrote:

Did you actually read the review or no?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 11:06 
SavyGamer

Super Mario Maker is something I've wanted for years. It seems like there's a few annoying limitations (wouldn't be a Nintendo product without them), but it's robust enough that it'll mostly do what I want.

Ideally it'd be capable enough that you could literally remake every single level from games it's based on, but it's not really up to that.

Still, as long as Nintendo curate the online selection of levels well, it's likely going to provide a great deal of entertainment.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 11:22 
Excellent Member

Future Warrior wrote:
Bamba wrote:
Future Warrior wrote:

No, I was just being facetious to annoy you. I have read it now though and on a genuinely serious note this kind of thing is of no interest to me because, from the review text, the only content is whatever people have created. I have no doubt from reading about it that Nintendo have made an amazing selection of tools but they're just that: tools; there's no real game here per se. Except whatever other users make for you of course. The obvious comparison is if LittleBigPlanet shipped without the actual developer created level and that's not something I'd have been interested in either. So, although my initial comment was taking the piss it actually sums up my feelings pretty well. I do understand why other people might be interested of course, but it's not for me.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 11:30 
UltraMod

Bamba wrote:
Future Warrior wrote:
Bamba wrote:
Future Warrior wrote:

No, I was just being facetious to annoy you. I have read it now though and on a genuinely serious note this kind of thing is of no interest to me because, from the review text, the only content is whatever people have created. I have no doubt from reading about it that Nintendo have made an amazing selection of tools but they're just that: tools; there's no real game here per se. Except whatever other users make for you of course. The obvious comparison is if LittleBigPlanet shipped without the actual developer created level and that's not something I'd have been interested in either. So, although my initial comment was taking the piss it actually sums up my feelings pretty well. I do understand why other people might be interested of course, but it's not for me.

I felt much the same as you before I read the review. It changed my mind due to the history lesson aspect of it.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 12:05 
SavyGamer

Both Mario Maker and LBP ship with developer made levels.

Super Mario Maker basically looks like a simplified version of LBP but with excellent controls instead of terrible controls.

You realise that you can download levels other people have made and that Nintendo will be curating a selection of good levels other people have made?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 12:14 
Excellent Member

LewieP wrote:
Both Mario Maker and LBP ship with developer made levels.

I did scan through that review to check for that and it didn't seem to mention it, though I'm happy to take your word for it. I know that LBP ships with developer levels as that was my entire point; that I wouldn't have bought and played it if it didn't.

LewieP wrote:
You realise that you can download levels other people have made and that Nintendo will be curating a selection of good levels other people have made?

I do realise that, I think I even referenced it a couple of times in my comment, but I don't care. User created content is a bonus but it's not why I buy games generally.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 12:48 
SavyGamer

There are more levels in Super Mario Maker in pure numbers than any of the other Mario games (although I think the levels are a bit shorter and less complex than you'd typically otherwise get).

Use generated content in games like Super Mario Maker aren't a bonus, they are it's raison d'etre. Complaining that a game called Super Mario Maker is just a toolset with which to make Mario levels seems genuinely crazy to me.

The fact that Nintendo is going to be curating recommended user generated content is something that instills me with a great deal of confidence that it won't be all that hard to sort the wheat from the chaff. Even if Nintendo do a bad job of curation, I imagine that the ability to share a level outside of the game (with a string of code generated inside the game) means that at the very least communities outside of Nintendo will pick up the slack if needs be.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 13:06 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

LewieP wrote:
Use generated content in games like Super Mario Maker aren't a bonus, they are it's raison d'etre. Complaining that a game called Super Mario Maker is just a toolset with which to make Mario levels seems genuinely crazy to me.

:facepalm:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 13:48 
Excellent Member

LewieP wrote:

You seem utterly determined to misread or ignore things I've said and it's really starting to piss me off so can you pack it in please? I didn't 'complain' it's just a toolset I said, "this kind of thing is of no interest to me" and then I even said, "I do understand why other people might be interested of course, but it's not for me." I realise what it is, what it's for and, indeed, exactly how and what LittleBigPlanet was for as well. I just happen to not be interested in it because I play games to play games, not to tinker with them. Seriously man.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 13:52 
Prince of Fops

Bamba wrote:
LewieP wrote:

Seriously man.

lamest superhero, evurrh.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 15:12 
Bad Girl

I agree with Bamba. I've no interest in Super Mario Maker whatsoever. The same went for Little Big Planet whose campaign I played a bit of, got bored, jacked it in for good (quite unusual for me too) before messing around with a few home-made levels and then firing it on in a cannon to be exchanged.

I just can't be bothered with making my own levels or playing other folks levels with anything more than a passing interest.

Super Mario Galaxy 3 instead please. (Or Sunshine 2)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 13:43 

I thought the point of the review was that the game was in the discovering what made a mario level work, the voyage rather than the destination (levels)... So i'm not sure if the comparisons to lbp are that just....

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 9:06 
Hello Hello Hello

Super Mario Maker has reviewed well at Eurogamer but it's not doing anything for me. Maybe when I was a teenager and I had enough spare time to chuck at stuff like this it would have fired me up, but these days I want to play games that have been, y'know, made properly by someone else - preferably folks who do it as a full time job.

(That's kind of the reason I always diligently avoid any sort of beta access to games, the PTR realms on WoW, that sort of thing - I'll play it when it's all working properly, thanks very much.)

User-generated 2D Mario levels? Pass. The ability to faff about making my own levels, which will inevitably be worse than the levels that proper Mario games ship with? Pass.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015- ... ker-review

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 11:53 

My kids are loving it. Really makes them feel creative and the like to create obstackes for each other. And have to admit felt a bit proud when i saw that 34 people had played one of my first levels and 4 gave it a star.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 7:22 
I forgot about this - how vain

Super Mario Maker is in the running for my game of the year. It's just tremendous. And I would argue incredibly important.

I'm loving it so, so much.

Faith schools, scientologists and 2-D platform games.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 15:21 

Dr lave this one i made eatlier. Nice maze i thought. Will you be my first follower?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 7:41 
SavyGamer

Do you have to turn your TV upside down to play it?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 13:59 
Bad Girl

The Wonderful 101 has, without a doubt, the worst tutorials that I've played (and, yes, I'm counting Dark Souls). It has no sodding clue how to explain it's concepts in an easy to digest, straight-forward way that I could replicate by moving the sticks and stuff. Or maybe the gamepad. Hell, drawing shapes on the gamepad kinda works, but then it really doesn't, actually I'm supposed to use the right stick. Or maybe I'm not. I hope that's not a sign of things to come.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 15:03 
SavyGamer

Platinum Games do have a habit of making incredible games but not really explaining the systems very well. Bayonetta, Vanquish and particularly Revengeance are guilty of this.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 15:22 
Excellent Member

I didn't have a problem with Bayonetta but I didn't even make it through the Revengeance demo because I had no idea what I was doing and the game didn't see too interested in explaining itself.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 16:09 
SavyGamer

You must revisit Revengeance. It is a masterpiece.

The parry move that is probably the second most important mechanic after slicing is terribly explained.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 16:12 
Bad Girl

It's so badly explained that I didn't know what the hell was going wrong until Lewie explained it to me in the Revengence thread, IIRC.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 17:13 
SavyGamer

Oh yeah!

Now I am sad that the sequel it probably cancelled.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 23:41 
Bad Girl

The Wonderful 101 could well be the worse Platinum game I've ever played. My frustration levels are through the roof here. I've never played a game so poorly explained or obtuse (well I might have but not in recent times).

I am not really having any fun whatsoever at the minute. I might even consider knocking it down to easy (hnnngh, don't let me be that guy) just to see if it plays any better.

The strange thing is, it's a typical Platinum game: locked in arena battles, combos and buying new moves but with this god awful drawing mechanic to switch characters and moves. I absolutely cannot stand this drawing crap. Awful, awful bullshit.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 8:58 
Excellent Member

It's because they've decided to desperately shoehorn in take advantage of Nintendo's latest idiotic gimmicky bullshit innovative control system in order to ruin an otherwise decent game enhance your interactive experience.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 9:00 
UltraMod

No, Platinum just didn't use it correctly. The gamepad is excellent when utilised properly.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 9:02 
Excellent Member

Future Warrior wrote:
No, Platinum just didn't use it correctly. The gamepad is excellent when utilised properly.

I'm just cranky because they fucking ruined Zelda for me. What's the best use of the gamepad you've seen?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 9:08 
UltraMod

Bamba wrote:
Future Warrior wrote:

I'm just cranky because they fucking ruined Zelda for me. What's the best use of the gamepad you've seen?

Probably Zombi U. It contains your map and other things, but also your rucksack. So when you stop and rummage around in your bag you have to look away from the screen and down to the pad to look at your stuff. This really adds to the tension as the action doesn't pause. Also communication from the Prepper comes through the controller's speaker, which makes it feel like a phone.

Nintendoland also makes good use of it. I haven't played Mario Maker but it seems making the levels would be pretty tedious without it.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 9:15 
Excellent Member

I remember being surprised to hear phone calls from characters coming out of the controller speaker in GTAV, it shouldn't make any difference at all but it was oddly effective. I'm waiting for someone to try and do something interesting with the touchpad on the PS4 controller, presumably some first party game will shoehorn it in. Uncharted 4 seems like a good bet, though I'm surprised Tearaway didn't find a way.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 10:08 
Bad Girl

Future Warrior wrote:
Bamba wrote:
Future Warrior wrote:

Probably Zombi U. It contains your map and other things, but also your rucksack. So when you stop and rummage around in your bag you have to look away from the screen and down to the pad to look at your stuff. This really adds to the tension as the action doesn't pause. Also communication from the Prepper comes through the controller's speaker, which makes it feel like a phone.

It was ok, but done in a terrible atmosphere smashing way. Every time you open the backpack the screen says LOOK AT THE GAMEPAD with a fucking arrow pointing down or something. It's hard to get fully involved in a game when you're constantly reminded that you're playing a game.

Plus the screen on the gamepad doesn't work very responsively to touch EVEN THOUGH ITS A TOUCHSCREEN. Probably because it expects you to be using the stylus like some kind of flashback to the 90's where Nintendo stopped making new characters for games and just relied on a stock roster (yeah, yeah, Splatoonmatoon). Smashing your finger to change weapons is ok but item management and dragging items around the gamepads screen is a chore.

Still the gamepad did add something extra to ZombiU that I imagine is probably missing from the PS4 versions even if the game needed damn good polishing up.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 10:42 
SavyGamer

I like off-screen play, but yeah there are very few instances of games where the same game without the gamepad would have been much worse.

The worst levels in Mario 3D World were the ones that forced you to use the Gamepad for stuff.

I hear it is used well in Splatoon, and yeah Mario Maker wouldn't really make sense without it, but for the vast majority of the library it either isn't or shouldn't be required.

Reply to topic  [ 783 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next