Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 783 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 16  Next
 Post subject: Re: Wii-U
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 18:46 
Filthy Junkie Bitch

Would.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 22:52 
Hello Hello Hello

£6.29 for Wario Ware Inc on the Virtual Console Store Thingy, I totally couldn't resist though.

Yeah it's an eleven year old GBA game, but by crikey it's still good fun.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 15:48 
Excellent Member

we now have mario cart 8!
yay!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 19:03 
Hello Hello Hello

Lots of interesting stuff coming out of Nintendo's E3 video reveals.

New Zelda game and new Starfox game! :metul:

Other things!

TBH as long as I get a handful of stunning first party games to play on my Wii U (I'd settle for single figures) I'll be happy. I honestly don't anticipate buying any game for the console that isn't by Nintendo themselves, and I bought the console with that expectation.

Mario Kart/Mario/Zelda/Starfox/Donkey Kong - even those would probably do me. (And I've already got Mario Kart and Mario.)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 19:21 
Excellent Member

We have played Mario 3d world for ages and ages :)

Question about Mario Kart 8:
How can you end a race when the last player hasn't crossed the finish line yet?
In Mario Kart Wii it used to just stop after a while but this one seems to just wait for the last one forever
and little miss 4yearsold thinks she can do anything but when she's 2 rounds behind its very annoying for everyone involved to get her over the finish line before we can play another race.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 16:30 
SavyGamer

I have bought Mario Kart but it turns out my Gamepad has died :(

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 11:34 
Hello Hello Hello

Dr Washikawshimama's Brain Training is free on Wii U for the next couple of weeks :) Digital download through the amazingly clunky and rubbish Nintendo eShop.

I sometimes think Nintendo would be a lot happier if the internet just went away completely.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014- ... e-in-japan

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 10:30 
Hello Hello Hello

'Nintendo wins E3'

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014- ... -own-terms

Have to say I'm totally loving my Wii U, and Hearthly Jnr is loving it too, she's fascinated by all the Nintendo characters in MK8 and has had me bringing up videos of all the Mario Kart games ever (starting with Super Mario Kart on the SNES) and working through Every. Single. One.

This morning we've done the history of Donkey Kong, and also some of Dr Nagasaki's brain training, which I'd never seen before and is quite tricky but also good fun. (She likes the consistency of Nintendo characters over the years, so was chuffed to see an identifiable Mario in the very first Donkey Kong arcade game from 1981.)

The Wii U's internet browser is surprisingly capable, and makes a really good YouTube player (far better, in fact, than the included YouTube app), plus there's clever little touches like you can muck around with the settings and suchlike on the gamepad screen, but it'll maintain full screen video on the telly whilst you're doing it.

I'll probably get myself Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze at some point, I really like the look of that and I was a huge fan of the original DKC game on the SNES back in the day.

For now though I'm still hammering MK8 for a 'full' game and Wario Ware Inc when I want a quick blast. Still haven't started on Pikmin 3 or Super Mario 3D World, which I guess I should probably have a look at if nothing else....

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 12:14 
Participant in dramatic games

Interesting development, both on schiphol airport and budapest airport there was no 3ds or 3ds software anymore.. thought after all the nintendo love this week i might buy a ads, and they might have a good deal, but alas.. places were completely occupied with tons of ipad chargers and batteries and stuff..

thought 3ds software at least is something really fitted for an airport..

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 19:04 
Hello Hello Hello

Since we were in town anyway today it seemed daft not to avail myself of the opportunity to visit GAME and purchase DKC Tropical Freeze.

Seems rather odd to be buying physical discs again as it's the same price as the digital download and generally speaking I'd just go for the convenience of digital, but internal memory is at a premium on the Wii U (even with the 32GB premium model, and 10GB has gone on my Pikmin 3 download already), so I figured I'd get the disc. (I realise I could hang an external HDD out the arse of it, but that rather defeats the object of it being such a dinky little thing.)

As for the game, it's DKC all over again but shinied up to the HD max, (720@60FPS too, so it plays gloriously), so if you liked DKC on the SNES, this is probably the sort of thing you'll like.

It's got the same mean streak in it as the original too. Not that hard to get through the levels, but quite another proposition to collect all the KONG letters and the puzzle pieces, and it'll kill you off pretty sharpish if you fuck things up.

After the best part of a couple of decades out of the Nintendo habit, it's good to be back in the fold :)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 19:12 
SavyGamer

The original DKC games had shit controls and so do the new ones.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 22:44 
Hello Hello Hello

LewieP wrote:
The original DKC games had shit controls and so do the new ones.

I didn't have any problems with the original DKCs and don't have any problems with the new one either :shrug: Even though I'm officially quite an old man now :D

Yes there's a certain momentum and 'bounce' to the characters that you have to adapt to, but I'm not sure that enters the realms of 'shit controls'? (And they are monkeys after all.)

I'm having a blast with it anyway :)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 15:27 

Interesting, that free ds game now.. Remember their starpoints greedy-ness for the virtual console games...

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 20:30 

really weird, bought a wii u pro controller, nice to handle, bit lightweight.. no wave bird but nicest none the less... (thought to make farer mario kart possible and i think i play mario better with a better fitting controller).. but the weird thing is, charging socket is on the same spot as with the wiiu gamepad, but this is standard mini usb, and non the same cable as the wiiu charger...while it looks very samish

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 21:26 
Hello Hello Hello

I am loving the hot hairy monkey arse out of DKC Tropical Freeze at the moment.

Still some way to go with MK8 but all I've got left to do there is work through getting a gold star in each of the 150cc Grand Prix (normal and mirror, to get my golden kart), and getting depressed by Trousers' times in romanista's weekly challenges - but most certainly have already had my value for money out of the game and then some.

STILL NOT EVEN LOOKED AT Pikmin 3 or Super Mario 3D World despite the fact they're both supposed to be awesome games, as I'm getting so much mileage out of MK8 and DKCTF. (And Wario Ware Inc on the side.)

DKCTF is real old-school gaming, I've decided to max out the entire game which means collecting all the puzzles pieces and getting the KONG letters for every single level, and that really is easier said than done. (Blasting through the levels is actually fairly easy, but you'll miss loads of stuff, not unlock the bonus levels, and so on.)

I'm already at just shy of 10 hours play and I've only maxed out the first island (of six!) and doubtless it's only going to get harder from here on in. In particular the 'K' levels (each island has one) are only unlocked once you've collected all the KONG letters for every other level on that island, and the K levels are bastards!

Whereas all the other levels are reasonably generously checkpointed, you need to do a K level in one hit, albeit you don't have to collect every puzzle piece on the same run - and this bastard will kill you off as soon as look at you!

This video gives you some of the flavour of it, I guess it's a case of 'Is this is the sort of thing you like, then you'll like this' - personally I'm over the moon with being able to play brand new videogames like this in the year 2014.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 21:29 
Bad Girl

I've just thought, you've missed out on Mario Galaxy on the Wii that you could play on the Wii U (I think, isn't it backwards compatible?). Man, what a treat (If you can deal with the non-HD-ness).

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 21:50 
Hello Hello Hello

Saturnalian wrote:
I've just thought, you've missed out on Mario Galaxy on the Wii that you could play on the Wii U (I think, isn't it backwards compatible?). Man, what a treat (If you can deal with the non-HD-ness).

Yep full backwards compatibility with all Wii games (and indeed all the Wii controllers as well), so I may very well look back on some Wii titles that I missed by not owning that console :)

That said I'm really hoping that there'll be enough brand new super-duper Nintendo games for the Wii U to keep me occupied, it's just so nice to properly get my teeth back into real videogames again.

And you know what else I like, there's no fucking online store or DLC or any of that shit for these games, it's the Entire. Complete. Game. On one single disc, it's finished and whole, you buy it, and you play it, and you never have that slight nagging doubt about what they've not given you or not sold you or whether or not the game would be better if you spent some more money on it.

Yes there are unlocks and secrets and bonuses and all that stuff, but 100% within the game's ecosystem, not one single prompt to spend any more money on the game you've already bought. I like that.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 7:33 
EvilTrousers

I've only done the first bit of NSMBU and got Pikmin 3 to start and I've barely glances at Zombii-U but have wrung significant enjoyment out of the console so far that the purchase is easily justified.

Only really found the Gamepad useful for 3 chase type games in local multiplayer in NintendoLand though.

You got NintendoLand Hearthly? I reckon Becca would love that - the whole coin collecting thing and the variety of games on offer are pretty good. She can swing a sword in the Zelda game while you fire arrows from the gamepad as support. Great fun.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 13:56 
SavyGamer

£179.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 18:41 
Hello Hello Hello

LewieP wrote:

That sold out in about 45 minutes by all accounts!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 18:44 
Hello Hello Hello

Trousers wrote:
I've only done the first bit of NSMBU and got Pikmin 3 to start and I've barely glances at Zombii-U but have wrung significant enjoyment out of the console so far that the purchase is easily justified.

Only really found the Gamepad useful for 3 chase type games in local multiplayer in NintendoLand though.

You got NintendoLand Hearthly? I reckon Becca would love that - the whole coin collecting thing and the variety of games on offer are pretty good. She can swing a sword in the Zelda game while you fire arrows from the gamepad as support. Great fun.

I've got an eye on NintendoLand but I'm not entirely sure Becca would play it (even as co-op), she seems to prefer watching me play and commentating! Last night she was asking me why I was losing so many lives on DKCTF and telling me I had to play better :)

I checked my stats on the built-in statsy-thingy and I've done 40 hours combined this month so far alone, so I think it's a gimme I'm going to get massive value for money out of the console and games.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 7:23 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Who? What?

Fucking kleeks.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 7:41 
EvilTrousers

"Rimmers" is the preferred term.

I have more games than I can play and yet I still ordered Injustice : Gods among us for the Wii-U yesterday because Batman. Also cheap.

Is it actually any good?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 8:28 
I forgot about this - how vain

LewieP wrote:
so do the new ones.

No idea baout the originals. But the 3DS game controls like a dream. You = Wrongo McWrongson, Chief Whip of the Incorrect.

Faith schools, scientologists and 2-D platform games.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 12:48 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Trousers wrote:
Is it actually any good?

Yes.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 14:09 
EvilTrousers

Grim... wrote:
Trousers wrote:
Is it actually any good?

Yes.

Excellent. I shall look forward to putting it on my pile of stuff to play and then forgetting about it.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 14:46 

I'm really happy about how quickly my Wii U has gone from being my 'why did I waste money buying this?' console to a super-happy fun-time console. Thanks mostly to Mario Kart 8.

BTW, Tori Tori 2+ is on sale for £2.50 on the eShop, if anyone's interested.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 10:29 
Hello Hello Hello

I actually hit a brick wall with DKCTF last night, literally a level that I couldn't get past. Now it was one of the 'K' levels which are designed to be hard and need to be done in one pass as there are no checkpoints, but seriously, I can't remember the last time a game chucked a challenge up at me that I simply couldn't do.

In the end I had to turn the console off and vow to return another day! I wasn't annoyed though, it's scrupulously fair and consistent, there are no random elements in there, I just wasn't up to the job.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 7:58 
EvilTrousers

Well Injustice certainly seems like a lot of fun so far -even if I can't work out what the fuck is happening a lot of the time.

Cost c£10 from Amazon so I'm more than happy with that.

I need to go back to NSMBU and Rayman Legends though as I was really enjoying both of those before I got distracted.

Much as I love the console the one thing I miss is cheevo's popping. I don't go chasing achievements these days but the sound and the concept still appeals.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 8:41 

thinking about buying the pushmo game.. did anybody try yet?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 9:16 
Hello Hello Hello

Trousers wrote:
Much as I love the console the one thing I miss is cheevo's popping. I don't go chasing achievements these days but the sound and the concept still appeals.

Try and get all the KONG letters and puzzle pieces on every level in DKCTF, I'm working my way through the third island now and some of it is ruthlessly, shockingly difficult. (It's easy enough to get through the levels, but collecting everything whilst you're about it....)

I've set it myself as a sort of unofficial achievement.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:53 

did buy it now...

level designer to share on miiverse brought me over.. http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014- ... rld-review

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:48 

i discovered that while i was righthanded at wiisport tennis, the addition of motionplus actually makes me left handed there..
(i'm lefthanded in real life)
apparantly it is free now for 48 hours since the addiotn of baseball/boxing... someone want to play?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:30 

Looking forward t dr toad in one way http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014- ... f-in-years but will it be 40 quid?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 13:39 

Hullo!

I have added all of the Friends names I can find in this thread. My network ID name is Eskimimi. I have added:

Trousers
BritishNervosos
Romanista77
mrDavexxviii
Bluecup
Skeptobot

Couldn't find any more IDs, so post me up or add mine if you have one xxx

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 15:58 
Isn't that lovely?

/me sobs

Malc

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 17:12 

Did you put your ID up? We went through the thread and added all we could find, but couldn't find them all listed in a single post, so either let me know or add me :)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 20:26 

Request accepted. Mario power tennis virtual console qnd nes remix 2 currently

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 20:03 
Hello Hello Hello

I got fully 60 hours out of DKC Tropical Freeze to 100% complete it - (all levels, all secret levels, all K levels, all KONG letters collected, all puzzle pieces collected, secret island unlocked and all levels completed on that with all puzzle pieces collected) - awesome game and one of the best pure videogames I've played in fucking yonks.

I have now started on Super Mario 3D World, and intend to 100% complete that in the same sort of fashion.

Total playtime in less than two months of Wii U ownership is over 100 hours, (according to its inbuilt stats tracker), and that's pretty much just off two games, DKCTF and Mario Kart 8.

Nintendo have still got it!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 20:10 
Hello Hello Hello

Currently working my way through Super Mario 3D World, I swear there's often more imagination and creativity crammed into a single short level than some games manage for their entire duration.

It's hard to remember the last time videogames were just so joyous and, well, videogamey.

If you've not chosen a console for this generation yet, and you've got a half-decent PC for other games (since XBone/PS4/PC are pretty much cross-platform this generation, plus you get all the cool indie stuff on PC) - I'd say get a Wii U.

One of my mates at work is a rabid XBox fan, and even he's played out what he wanted to on XBone (Titanfall and Watchdogs, basically), concedes there's nothing much out until September now, and has bought a Wii U.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 19:31 
Hello Hello Hello

Snagged Rayman Legends for £11.99 in the Nintendo eShop sale, (thanks to Trousers for the heads-up!), fired it up for 'a quick look' and three hours later it's probably time to take a short break....

Not a Wii U exclusive of course this one, so feel free to enjoy on 360/X1/PS3/PS4 as well.

Stunning game and just what I needed off the back of 100% completing DKC Tropical Freeze, some more sublime platforming capers :)

Fuck me Nintendo's download servers are slow though.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 17:59 

is that still on? and can we do something online with it?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 21:51 
Hello Hello Hello

I have to compliment Trousers here on far better artwork than I managed.

Handwritten messages to friends, what a genius touch.

In other game news Rayman Legends is almost impossibly sumptuous, the 10/10 Eurogamer review called it an 'embarrassment of riches' and they're really not wrong, absolute videogaming joy that I'm just working my way through two or three levels per evening and totally maxing every one out on LUMS/TEENSIES to get the gold cup and scratchcard and also the full Teensies number as well.

Rayman Legends is on every damn platform out there so if you haven't got it, get it. It makes shooting things in the face in 'Military Shooter #467' seem very, very dull and boring.

Attachment:
harry.JPG

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 21:55 
Bad Girl

I had to watch that Rayman video all over again cause it's bloody brilliant. I'll get Legends at some point in time (hopefully on the Vita).

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:08 
Hello Hello Hello

There's only one 'music attack' level like that per world (there are six worlds) but the rest of the game is a treat as well, I unlocked a completely new game mode last night after god knows how many hours of play, I wasn't even expecting there to be anything extra, as there's so much going on already. (And it's not a case of quantity over quality either, every little piece of the game is exquisitely crafted and presented.)

It does make very good use of the Wii U's gamepad, obviously they've worked around this for the other formats but the Murfy levels in particular I'm not sure how they've handled. (On these levels you manipulate the level itself using the gamepad screen, moving stuff around, tapping on stuff, tickling big enemies so they can't attack and things like that, the character actually auto-plays around what you're doing with the level. I suppose they just present these levels as 'normal' levels which you control in the usual way.)

The game has been quite an unexpected treat for me, it really has. I was just taking a bit of a punt on it since it was only £12 in the sale, and it's turned out to be magnificent.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 20:19 
Hello Hello Hello

A mariachi take on Eye Of The Tiger awaits at the end of World 3. I actually had a bit of trouble with this level until I remembered it's a rhythm level, you can actually 'feel' what you're supposed to do as much as actually see it.

I do so like this game.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 10:59 
Bad Girl

Fatal Frame news.

http://www.vg247.com/2014/09/19/fatal-f ... s-trailer/

I think someone here likes this.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 11:03 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

It's me! It's me!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 11:03 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

But I don't have a WiiU :(

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 18:32 
UltraMod

I do! And I do.

Reply to topic  [ 783 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 16  Next