Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 783 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
 Post subject: Re: Wii-U
PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 22:27 
Bad Girl

Hang about, is WiiU getting Xenoblade Chronicles X and 3DS getting the original Xenoblade Chronicles?

Just watched a video on the 3DS and the music brings back so many memories. If you ain't play it on Wii then you lucky 3DS owners are in for a treaty treat for your brain, eyes and ear holes in your face.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 22:37 
I forgot about this - how vain

Picked up driveclub today and mario Galaxy 2. The former for the graphics and the later to have on my dashboard, in the hope I final finish it.

Interestingly, mario finds your original wii save.

That and it looks bloody gorgous. It blew me away more Than drive club.

I know it's not upscaled or anything, but the dofference just coming through a digital cable rather than RGB scart is huge. Bye bye fuzz.

Faith schools, scientologists and 2-D platform games.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 1:26 
Hello Hello Hello

Do you need one of those Wii-Mote things (or whatever they were called) to play these games?

I just have the screen-gamepad-contraption that came with my Wii-U, (I got the premium so I have the sensor bar thingy, but I have nothing it can actually sense), will that work?

The game I'm really interested in is Donkey Kong Country Returns, as Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze was a thing of pure majesty, but I'd like to be able to play it using the Wii-U pad rather than having to (a) Procure a 'Wii-Mote' from somewhere and (b) Waggle it around at my telly to play a Donkey Kong Country game.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 2:38 
SavyGamer

The downloadable Wii games are literally just the original game running in the backwards compatible mode, so it's not surprising that it picks up your old save.

It's not just the cable that makes the difference though, it's also being upscaled to 1080p by the console, rather than the TV, which typically has slightly better results.

If you prefer, you can achieve similar results via homebrew, and you can even easily rip discs to SD card. Wii games natively, and even Gamecube games via Nintendont.

What is nice is that downloadable Wii games which supported the classic controller can be played with the Wii U Gamepad (which can't currently be done with homebrew). Although most Wii games don't support the classic controller.

Edit: You need a Wii Remote & Nunchuck to play the vast majority of Wii games, whether the disc version or these new downloadable versions. Only potential downloadable versions of games listed here won't require a Wii Remote. The only announced downloadable titles that support the classic controller are Pandora's Tower & Sin & Punishment: Star Successor, with no date announced so far. Donkey Kong Country Returns will require a Wii Remote.

It is nice that the announced selection so far is almost entirely games that are pretty hard to track down the disc versions of at a vaguely reasonable price. Although this is also probably them picking games that have the most demand.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 10:13 
Participant in dramatic games

mario galay did support the gamepad didn't it?

anyway, just borrowed mg2 from my sisterinlaw, so now can return it and have it cheap on my dashboard.. yeah!

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015- ... ii-u-eshop

for 9 euros i might try donkey kong country too.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 11:11 
SavyGamer

Both Mario Galaxy games are specifically designed around using a remote & nunchuck, and thus require one.

There's a whole bunch of sections that require use of the on screen pointer in both games. Plus the accelerometer/waggle is used a lot too, partly for the spin jump (although that could theoretically be mapped to a button) but also for the levels where you are rolling on a ball or riding the manta ray thing.

The list of classic controller compatible games I linked to is complete.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 11:23 
MR EXCELLENT FACE

I bought a Wii U last friday on a whim as it was £200 for the premium + Mario Kart 8. I have no idea if that's a rip or not, but I checked around a bit I couldn't do matter, especially consider I bought a few games at the same time.

The console is fun and I quite like this little screen as it means I can play games whilst poopin', but bugger me if the games aren't expensive. Before this I had a 360 and I basically only had 2 games on it (Mass Effect 1 and SWOS, which I basically bought the console for and was DISSAPOINTED with), so I'm unaccustomed to non-PC prices. I also wanted to use my old gamecube controllers with Smash brothers*, but the adapter is like a million quid. Even the cheapy 3rd party ones are expensive as you have to import them via play-asia and they take about a month to get here. What a rip. (I still bought a 3rd part one for £20 from ebay as someone has clearly imported a bunch and selling them at a slight markup). Even years old Wii games still cost like £30+.

Also: The eShop is a bit shit and I can't even use it via a browser on a PC? WHY NOT? Get with the times, Nintendo. I want a Steam style webshop plz.

Anyway: I downloaded Mario Galaxy 2 as I've been wanting to play that for a while**, but it doesn't seem to support the Gamepad? :( You have to have a wiimote plugged in to actually start the game, and then on the menu screen you can't "press A" or anything on the Gamepad. Disappointing, as I find controlling things with the wiimote a bit annoying.

edit: Just read LewieP's post. I thought the spin could be put on another button, but if there's other uses for the pointer I guess I'll just have to suck it up.

* Why does each game individual have to opt in to these controllers? It's the same damn buttons! Is there no abstraction layer?
** I also want to play 3d Mario, but it's £45 :/

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 11:27 
UltraMod

Yeah, Nintendo games hold their value. I don't mind paying full price because they're almost without exception incredibly high quality. I have put 50+ hours into Mario Kart 8 so it's been worth every penny of the £40 I paid.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 11:42 
MR EXCELLENT FACE

Future Warrior wrote:
Yeah, Nintendo games hold their value. I don't mind paying full price because they're almost without exception incredibly high quality. I have put 50+ hours into Mario Kart 8 so it's been worth every penny of the £40 I paid.

:'(

I can see me and the girlfriend sinking a lot of time into Mario Kart 8, and it's also useful when people come over (though: I wish it did 5 player!), so that's basically going to stay around forever in my house. However something like Captain Toad Treasure Tracker, which cost me £30, I think I might trade in when I'm done with it in order to recoup expenses. Where's "best" to trade games in these days, and the best place to buy second hand games? Cex? GAME?

One downside to PC downloaded games is that once you're done with them you're stuck with them, but it's usually not a problem as you only paid £2.50/£11/£25 or whatever. So I'm not sure how keen I'll be on the eShop. I bought Mario Galaxy 2 as it was only £8, and I also bought Toki Tori 2 for about £8 as well. But I don't think I'll be buying full price stuff. Especially not e.g. Mario 3d for £49.99.

ps: Captain Toad Treasure Tracker is a great game and it really does look lovely. I've done Book 1 so far, though I didn't 100% every level.

Toki Tori 2 is also really recommended if you can get it cheap. (I had to buy 3 other games for 80p each to get 60% of TT2, overall price was like £9?). I played a bit of TT1 on PC and it's a bit crap. It's just a generic lemmings+platformer style game that you'd expect to see on Android. (And I think it works surprisingly well on the gamepad as a toilet game). But TT2 is a really cool little metroidvania puzzle game + nature experience thing which is nice and relaxing to play but does require a bit of thought to get into areas you usually wouldn't :)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 12:20 
SavyGamer

This is a little out of date now, but the basic principle still applies, since GAME have adopted the policy following the closure of Gamestation.

GAME will match and then add a pound on top of whatever CEX's trade in value is.

Although with high value Nintendo stuff, you are probably best using ebay or similar to sell it.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 12:48 
UltraMod

I bought Super Mario 3D World for £30 when it was discounted on the eShop recently. It was cheaper than in the shops and I wouldn't trade it back in anyway. I would never buy a digital copy for £50, no.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 12:53 
SavyGamer

If you are interested in digital copies of Wii U games, they are sometimes a little bit cheaper via GAME's website. Usually not a huge difference, but enough that it's worth checking there first.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 14:24 

ah at least the follow up to sin and punishment is playable with the wii pro one.. that ashoukld be a good download then.. never played it, and loved the n64 one (on the virtual console)

@pod.. what;s your nintendo id? and i wanted to use my gamecube controller with mk8 :(

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 14:59 
Excellent Member

I really like Nintendo stuff, but after the Gamecube and Wii i won't be bothered with their stuff again. The games are just too expensive.

Yes, they're high quality, but so are Dark Souls and Metal Gear Rising, and each one cost me less than 5€.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 15:13 
UltraMod

It's an interesting viewpoint, certainly. I would probably say that the developers deserve more than the price of a pint for the hours of entertainment I get from their games, but each to their own. I guess your viewpoint is why piracy is so rife.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 15:54 
SavyGamer

It's not so much the initial price that's the problem with Nintendo games, it's also that they depreciate in value extremely slowly. Plenty of games are still at or near full price even years after release.

Granted, this is because their games aren't marketed on being the hot new thing with shiny graphics, but have lasting appeal, whereas lots of games on other platforms are far more disposable. Prime example of this is Mario Kart, where every entry in the series sells and sells throughout the console's lifetime.

For me? I think it is quality worth paying for, and I'm happy to pay a premium for games that are never shipped unfinished, not filled with grind to help flog "optional" microtransactions, and not had core content gutted to sell as separate DLC.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 16:10 
Excellent Member

Myp, do you always have to be so obnoxious with your posts? Am i supposed to feel ashamed to buy these games on sale? Silly me for not having the blind luck of being born on a country with high wages.

I'm sure the developers earn way more money than me, and for 5€ i can buy 4 or 5 pints, so there's that.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 16:26 
MR EXCELLENT FACE

romanista wrote:
ah at least the follow up to sin and punishment is playable with the wii pro one.. that ashoukld be a good download then.. never played it, and loved the n64 one (on the virtual console)

@pod.. what;s your nintendo id? and i wanted to use my gamecube controller with mk8 :(

If it's just after a name, it's "poddster". (possible capital P). If it's after some giant number like the wii: I have no idea. I'll look tonight.
EDIT: I just logged into "miiverse" via my browser with that. I can't add people via that, as someone else gave me their name to add. I'll have to wait until I am infront of the console to do it.

RuySan wrote:
and for 5€ i can buy 4 or 5 pints, so there's that.

:'(
That's like 0.9 Guinness around here.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 17:05 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

RuySan wrote:
I'm sure the developers earn way more money than me, and for 5€ i can buy 4 or 5 pints, so there's that.

Fuck.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 17:14 

Bought mg2. And we apent the whole afternoon laughing at the yoshi easts hot pepper level. Hilarious.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 17:28 

Pod wrote:
romanista wrote:

If it's just after a name, it's "poddster". (possible capital P). If it's after some giant number like the wii: I have no idea. I'll look tonight.
EDIT: I just logged into "miiverse" via my browser with that. I can't add people via that, as someone else gave me their name to add. I'll have to wait until I am infront of the console to do it.

Poddster is soneone named lee

RuySan wrote:

Still the english often seem more drunk

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 20:12 
Excellent Member

RuySan wrote:

Still the english often seem more drunk[/quote]

Yes. An extreme example is scandinavia, where alcohol is not only very expensive, but also full of legal limitations, yet people have a difficult relation with it.

Here in the south, it's so cheap and everywhere that we don't make much fuss of it.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 21:43 
MR EXCELLENT FACE

romanista wrote:
Poddster is soneone named lee

That's a me!

Quote:
RuySan wrote:

Still the english often seem more drunk

We need to drink away the misery of high drink prices.

I bought one of these as I want to play 8 player Smash Bros. It's arrived and works fine in local 2 player. I'm hoping it performs just as well with 4 controllers + 3 wii motes + gamepad all mashing away.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 21:55 
Unpossible!

Now you just need 7 people to play with!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 22:35 

Thos looks nice too. http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/251719348476

But just smash bros isn't it? I would love mk8 with my :wub: wavebird :wub:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 0:03 
SavyGamer

Smash Bros is currently the only supported game, although you can also use it for backward compatibility with basically all Gamecube games via homebrew if you like.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 16:50 

that's all using nintendont i suppose?
https://gbatemp.net/threads/nintendont.349258/

it seems awfully easy to install.. no weird hacks like the Zelda one on the wii?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 18:42 
SavyGamer

Yeah you need a game to use the hack, but it's pretty straightforward. There's a few games with exploits, but SSBB is the easiest to get hold of.

Full list of games is here, the Zelda vulnerability was patched out via firmware updates that predate the release of the Wii U, so Zelda isn't an option any more.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 9:53 
Hello Hello Hello

Eurogamer are saying that the recent Nintendo 'NX' announcement pretty much signals the end of the Wii-U :( (They're switching to a mobile gaming platform, basically.)

It doesn't diminish my love for the console - (in the same way that the 'failure' of the Dreamcast doesn't alter the fact I've had some of the best console gaming of my life on that machine, and I still have a very soft spot for it all these years later, even after Sega officially canned it it didn't stop me playing it of course, I was still playing mine for years after it was said to have died) - but it's a shame that more people didn't cotton on to just how good the Wii U is and that it plays host to some truly incredible games.

I still think Mario Kart 8 is one of the best looking games I've seen for years too, even if it is running on the 'underpowered' console of the generation.

TBH I've already had my money's worth out of my Wii-U, and there are a few games still in the pipeline that I'll be buying before it's officially retired (the Zelda game being the primary example), so like the Dreamcast, to my mind it will never be a failure, but an example of everyone else being stupid.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015- ... -the-wii-u

Quote:
For all of its failings, the Wii U has consistently hosted the best games this generation has had to offer so far. Its appeal comes down in part to its outsider status, of course - everyone loves the underdog, especially one hobbled with something as unwieldy as a GamePad around its neck and with an adorable little limp - but the adoration thrown its way comes down mostly to its incredible software library.

Attachment:
ninty.JPG

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 9:58 

My only concern is this:

Animal Crossing has not yet been announced.

Bring that out and we're all good.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:01 
Hello Hello Hello

Mimi wrote:
My only concern is this:

Animal Crossing has not yet been announced.

Bring that out and we're all good.

The indications seem to be Mimi that any games already in the pipeline will still be seen to fruition, but we're probably not going to see any major announcements of new games for the system now.

How far along was Animal Crossing? If it was already announced and/or in development I'd hope it'll still see the light of day.

Remember also Nintendo aren't leaving the gaming sphere completely, and this NX announcement did say there will be a 'device' of some sort beyond them releasing games for mobiles - but it's all a bit vague at the moment.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:05 
UltraMod

Zelda U and Starfox U yet. Wii U dead, my arse.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 18:29 

Thr club nintendo str catalogue is suddenly filled with downloadable games... i got the london bus ride voor 600* since the kids love buses..quite fun for free.. The rest i keep on until hopefuly a last round...

@futureW you're all playing Olliolli on the ps4?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 0:25 
UltraMod

I'm playing OlliOlli 2 on PS4. Judging by the leaderboards no one else has tried properly yet.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 0:55 
Paws for thought

I played it, didn't really much like it.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 12:05 

got it on the ads, which meant a free download on the wii... feels at home on the ads, although the analogue stick sometimes doesn't feel up for it..

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 8:29 

We just discovered that there is a schwebebahn simulator. Downloading..

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 8:57 
Unpossible!

Suspension Railway, for the lazy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 16:16 
Decapodian

I've got almost £400 on a gift card that I can use in Argos, John Lewis and Currys. Is it worth buying a Wii U?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 16:23 
Filthy Junkie Bitch

I prefer the anticipation railway.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 16:45 
Hello Hello Hello

Dr Zoidberg wrote:
I've got almost £400 on a gift card that I can use in Argos, John Lewis and Currys. Is it worth buying a Wii U?

If you're happy with a console that's going to offer up a small number of sublimely awesome and often unique games, then yes, you'll love it.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 21:59 
Bad Girl

Dr Zoidberg wrote:

Three words: Xenoblade Chronicles X.

Ok, X ain't a word, but still the point remains; it'll be the Bloodborne of the WiiU.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 10:04 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Dr Zoidberg wrote:

Depends on if you need a new TV or something, I guess.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 10:06 
SavyGamer

Yeah buy a new TV from John Lewis unless you don't need a new TV.

Get a Wii U when there is a ~£130 deal online.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 10:09 
Decapodian

Nope, I bought two new TVs and an iPad in the last six months or so, and can't think of much else I need. There's other shops I can use it in but I'd prefer to get something larger to show for it rather than just use twenty quid at a time here and there, hence considering a Wii U.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 10:21 
Hello Hello Hello

Dr Zoidberg wrote:
Nope, I bought two new TVs and an iPad in the last six months or so, and can't think of much else I need. There's other shops I can use it in but I'd prefer to get something larger to show for it rather than just use twenty quid at a time here and there, hence considering a Wii U.

Well do you like Nintendo games?

The best games on the system are by Nintendo, and they're very 'Nintendoey'.

Mario Kart 8 for example is a pure-bred Mario Kart game, so if you like realistic racers with proper cars and physics and stuff, then you might not find much to like.

Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze is clearly directly related to the original Donkey Kong Country on the SNES, so if you liked the old SNES games, you'll like Tropical Freeze.

Rayman Legends (not a Nintendo game) is a pure platformer and quite 'old fashioned' in that regard, but by fuck it's incredible and awesome and wonderful - but you need to like the genre.

Super Mario 3D World is the kind of Mario game you can imagine Nintendo making twenty years ago if the technology had existed.

Also coming up is Splatoon which looks really interesting, and of course there's a new Zelda game in the pipeline.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 14:19 
SavyGamer

Dr Zoidberg wrote:

Then by all means go for it. It's totally worth it. It already has a killer library.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 14:47 
Decapodian

I'm very tempted - I had quite a decent collection on the original Wii but I've been playing the usual PS3 and 4 stuff for a while.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 10:00 
UltraMod

Just get one. You won't be disappointed.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 11:06 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Has anyone hacked it yet?

Reply to topic  [ 783 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next