Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 1274 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 ... 26  Next
 Post subject: Re: GTA V - stand aside, pretenders
PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:24 
Excellent Member

For some reason, probably because of the promotional posters, i thought one of the playable characters was a woman. Suddenly my interest in this game decreased.

Just imagine, playing as one spoiled and drug addict young girl from LA. Should have been interesting.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:46 
Excellent Member

RuySan wrote:
For some reason, probably because of the promotional posters, i thought one of the playable characters was a woman.

Not likely; there's be a massive outcry from mouth-breathing teenagers and basement dwelling man-children all over the globe. God forbid one of the biggest game developers in the world attempt to drag the community into the 21st century or anything.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:48 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Bamba wrote:
RuySan wrote:
For some reason, probably because of the promotional posters, i thought one of the playable characters was a woman.

Not likely; there's be a massive outcry from mouth-breathing teenagers and basement dwelling man-children all over the globe. God forbid one of the biggest game developers in the world attempt to drag the community into the 21st century or anything.

Think about what she'd be doing, man.

Also, I think Rockstar are pretty good in this regard - I mean, they made an Eastern European the main character of GTA4.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:54 
Excellent Member

Grim... wrote:
Think about what she'd be doing, man.

I don't know what you mean?

Grim... wrote:
Also, I think Rockstar are pretty good in this regard - I mean, they made an Eastern European the main character of GTA4.

They're pretty good in regards to sexism by putting an Eastern European male in a game?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 13:01 

Edit: @Grim... obv

Aye, I'm no sure that "Advanced Crack Whore Simulator feat. Mr Ass2ass from Requiem for a dream" would take off. The resulting newspaper shitstorm would be fucking awesome though :DD

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 13:04 
Excellent Member

I didn't mean Ruy's specific idea of "spoiled and drug addicted young girl" because yes, that would be weird and counter-productive (which is why I didn't quote that part of his post); simply the idea of a playable female character.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 13:36 
Excellent Member

Bamba wrote:
I didn't mean Ruy's specific idea of "spoiled and drug addicted young girl" because yes, that would be weird and counter-productive (which is why I didn't quote that part of his post); simply the idea of a playable female character.

Why would it? Isn't gta used to portray highly flawed characters? And why the need too use the "counter productive" words. Surely it should be readable to tell a story about a women without the need to make a political statement.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 13:46 
Excellent Member

RuySan wrote:
Why would it? Isn't gta used to portray highly flawed characters?

I can't see many useful application of spoiled drug addict to a game mission structure is all. Scoring drugs and, what, leeching money from rich parents as side missions or something? I dunno, the character as described by you just sounded like a very weird fit as a playable character. A side character used in the plot I can absolutely see; but anything else would make that an odd choice.

RuySan wrote:
And why the need too use the "counter productive" words.

I'm coming from the point of view of more representation of women in games as playable characters, and for a high profile game to actually introduce a woman just to make the character a spoiled drug addict wouldn't be very productive in my view. The character as described by you doesn't sound just flawed but entirely defined by flaws; there's a difference.

RuySan wrote:
Surely it should be readable to tell a story about a women without the need to make a political statement.

I don't really know what this sentence means.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 14:00 
Excellent Member

Bamba wrote:
RuySan wrote:
Why would it? Isn't gta used to portray highly flawed characters?

I can't see many useful application of spoiled drug addict to a game mission structure is all. Scoring drugs and, what, leeching money from rich parents as side missions or something? I dunno, the character as described by you just sounded like a very weird fit as a playable character. A side character used in the plot I can absolutely see; but anything else would make that an odd choice.

RuySan wrote:
And why the need too use the "counter productive" words.

I'm coming from the point of view of more representation of women in games as playable characters, and for a high profile game to actually introduce a woman just to make the character a spoiled drug addict wouldn't be very productive in my view. The character as described by you doesn't sound just flawed but entirely defined by flaws; there's a difference.

RuySan wrote:
Surely it should be readable to tell a story about a women without the need to make a political statement.

I don't really know what this sentence means.

I meant "feasible". Damn autocorrection!

Well, why not a kind of "Lindsay Lohan" simulator? You play as a well known actress who has to try to keep her image while trying to avoid the police and papparazzi. Could make for some cool vehicle chases set pieces.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 14:07 
Excellent Member

RuySan wrote:
I meant "feasible". Damn autocorrection!

Well, yeah it's feasible; anything's feasible. To me though it's not about making a political statement, simply about representing 51% of the population and a shitload of actual gamers in a way that at least attempt parity with how the other gender is represented. Doing that shouldn't be a political statement; it should just be what happens. And it'll never not be a big deal until people like Rockstar start doing it with an attitude of 'this is how things are done, it doesn't have to be a big deal'.

RuySan wrote:
Well, why not a kind of "Lindsay Lohan" simulator? You play as a well known actress who has to try to keep her image while trying to avoid the police and papparazzi. Could make for some cool vehicle chases set pieces.

Certainly there's a game idea there, and one that could easily be applied to both genders. All I meant though was I'm not sure that really fits into the 'cops and robbers' GTA world though.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 14:32 
INFINITE POWAH

I didn't come here for a lecture in feminism.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 14:37 
Excellent Member

Mr Kissyfur wrote:

Well I'm all out of 'your mum' jokes.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 14:42 
INFINITE POWAH

Bamba wrote:
Mr Kissyfur wrote:

Well I'm all out of 'your mum' jokes.

I bet you're not.

For what it's worth, I agree with you. I'm not sure that sort of character would be helpful given the background context of the fairly fleshy wallpaper way women are usually represented in games. In particular the GTA ones.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 14:48 
Unpossible!

I'd like some fleshy wallpaper for my man cave

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 14:52 
INFINITE POWAH

I think you want to provide fleshy wallpaper to a lady cave.

Or something.

This can't go anywhere good.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 15:03 
8-Bit Champion
Two heads are better than one

http://www.officialplaystationmagazine. ... say-sorry/

Quote:
Rockstar giving every GTA Online player $500,000

The GTA$ payment will be made in two $250, 000 instalments to, “keep the current worldwide in-game economy balanced” and Rockstar are hoping to make the first payment as soon as the end of next week. That depends on if they can locate and fix the issue causing, “causing game progress loss”. You’ll also need an upcoming GTA Online 1.04 update that’s, “expected to fix the remaining instances of issues that have caused vehicle purchase loss and will also enable the functionality through which we’ll be providing this GTA$ stimulus cash to players”.

The message from the studio is that, “We hope this GTA$ helps to facilitate a fresh start or makes your continued life in Los Santos and Blaine County extra sweet”.

Here are more details on how to claim it:

You must play or have played Grand Theft Auto Online at any time during the month of October 2013 in order to qualify for the GTA$500,000 deposit in your in-game bank account.
Players will first have to install a forthcoming GTAV title update which we expect to happen next week. That title update (1.04) is expected to fix the remaining instances of issues that have caused vehicle purchase loss and will also enable the functionality through which we’ll be providing this GTA$ stimulus cash to players.
We will announce at the Rockstar Newswire when each deposit is made.
Each of the two GTA$250,000 deposits will be made by Rockstar and should automatically appear in the in-game GTA Online bank accounts of eligible players. Beyond downloading the forthcoming title update mentioned above, there should not be any additional special action required by eligible players to redeem.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 15:48 
Bad Girl

I haven't even tried Online bit yet.

Also, who's not to say that they won't try a female character for the inevitable DLC. A gangsta female who shoots lots of cops. Natch. Yeah, I can see Lindsey Lohan wielding a big tool.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 15:48 
Bad Girl

The dirty bitch. I love her.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 16:00 
INFINITE POWAH

And you're the big tool in this fantasy? ;)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 17:37 
STOP BEING SO SHIT

I've put in a crew invite request. At least I assume I have.

Unless there's another crew using "Beex" as their crew tag.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 15:57 

Finished the story. Amazing game, loved every moment of that.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 16:41 
Hello Hello Hello

I borrowed this off my mate as he'd pretty much 100% completed it, (360 version), gave it a reasonable crack of the whip but I just can't get on with the graphics and controls at all.

The whole thing is a lurching mulchy jaggy mess on the big 40 inch telly to the extent that I can't enjoy the game itself. Found the combat fiddly and laggy as well, which is only to be expected when your framerate is crashing down to around 20FPS on a regular basis. It's pretty much as bad as GTAIV for my money, and I'm not going to tolerate it a second time.

Extra points are awarded for the 30 minutes it took to update my 360, and update plus install the game before I could actually play it at all.

Definitely gonna wait for the next-gen console GOTY edition or a PC release, I can see there's potentially a great game in there, but the 360 ain't up to the job IMO.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 16:57 

Oh, my mistake then. It's actually completely unplayable :roll: :belm:

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 17:00 
Rude Belittler

That's a load of bollocks.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 17:31 
ugvm'er at heart...

Is it taxing the ability of the consoles to the limit? Yes
Does the frame rate drop through the floor on occasions? Yes
Is it full of jaggies? Yes
Is it unplayable? Of course not, it is perfectly playable. Sure it would be better on stronger hardware, and I expect it will be in a year when it is released on PC or next gen or whatever, but I'm happy to put GTAV in my top ten games ever, even with the graphical and frame rate issues.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 17:45 
8-Bit Champion
Two heads are better than one

http://uk.ign.com/videos/2013/10/12/ign ... c-con-2013

Hour long panel with the 3 stars of the game

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 18:21 
Hello Hello Hello

Trooper wrote:
Is it unplayable? Of course not, it is perfectly playable. Sure it would be better on stronger hardware, and I expect it will be in a year when it is released on PC or next gen or whatever, but I'm happy to put GTAV in my top ten games ever, even with the graphical and frame rate issues.

Well I guess everyone's threshold for what they're prepared to put up with in terms of technical issues before they render a game unplayable for them personally is going to be different.

I put up with it in GTAIV but my expectations have changed since then, I'm used to super-smooth, pin-sharp and consistent 2560x1440@60FPS gameplay, I'm used to a reload or restart of a mission being basically instantaneous, I'm used to totally lag-free controls, that's pretty much my baseline now, and GTAV simply doesn't stack up. I was doing one of the early driving missions and I'm just like 'why is my screen full of horrible low resolution jaggies lurching around at 20FPS and why are the controls like wading through treacle?' - it broke it for me, it wasn't fun. It probably didn't help that I was playing it on the big 40 inch telly which is very unforgiving on that sort of thing.

I'm almost certainly going to get a PS4 not too long after it's released, and I'll play GTAV on that, and I'm sure I'll enjoy it just fine :)

By all accounts most folks don't care about how GTAV runs, the mate I borrowed it off is primarily a PC gamer and he had a raft of problems with the game on a technical level, but for him the game itself transcended those problems and he all but 100% completed it. For me it tipped the other way and I couldn't tolerate it - but that's just a personal choice, surely?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 18:26 
Paws for thought

Congratulations on ruining games for yourself.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 18:44 
Hello Hello Hello

Mr Dave wrote:
Congratulations on ruining games for yourself.

Well not really, I play videogames pretty much exclusively in my free time, and I enjoy doing so very much.

I'll get around to playing GTAV either on the PS4 or the PC, and it's not like the game will 'break' between now and then, so nothing is ruined :)

I realise my position here is something of a niche one, but it's just my honest opinion after a couple of hours of playing GTAV.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 18:47 
Bad Girl

I think you're confusing niche with tedious.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 19:15 
Sitting balls-back folder

I can see where he's coming from - I'd semi-regulary find RR6 totally unplayable, blaming myself until eventually realising I'd put image processing back on on my old RPTV. Turn it off, instant awesome.

That was twitch gaming at its best I admit and I've rarely taken issue with anything since getting a (relatively) low-lag LCD, but it made the game infuriating and unplayable for me.

The shitty GoW controls have been the only other major offenders but I perservered. I don't think anyone here had to put up with my calling the pkaytesters cunts incessantly in mutiplayer.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 19:16 

I thought the eye could only see 40fps?
Surely you wouldn't notice much - if all - a difference between 30 and 60fps?

Anyway, I have this, and am enjoying it. Althought, I must admit I preferred Saints Row in some respects.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 19:18 

The eye notices movement incredibly well, particularly off-centre. The old 75fos thing us bullshit, as my twitching of quake 2's railgun proved in deathmatch. 75hz - great. 85hz - awesome. 120hz - unstoppable.

60hz on a big LCD is just about minimum IF it's constant, which is why twitch gaming doesn't really exist on consoles. I find wipeout HD unplayably laggy because I can't make myself think far enough ahead to counter it, and that's the closest I've seen/bothered with.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 19:45 
Hibernating Druid

I won't waste my time finishing it then, ta AE.

ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
hnnmngh ammmmoooll ggggooorrrpp thwip thwip gwaaakkkk

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 21:12 
Excellent Member

Cookie197 wrote:

If that was the case why would anyone ever make a game that ran at more than 40 FPS? Indeed, why would Peter Jackson bother making a whole film run at more than that? Obviously how much you notice is going to be a personal thing (in the same way some people don't care about the difference between watching video in SD vs HD) but no one can claim that there is no difference.

I don't play a lot of games on the PC, and what little I do aren't usually fast-moving games, so I don't really notice the difference but, as with SD vs HD, if I'd spent a lot of time playing games at closer to 60 FPS I suspect lower frame rates would begin to bug me more. Although, to me, inconsistency is the worst thing because that draws your attention to lower rates even within a single game. LA Noire was fucking terrible for that on the Xbox and the PS3 demo for Kingdoms of Amalur was almost unplayable due to the constant slowing down/speeding up.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 22:00 
Bad Girl

What is a "jaggy"? Is that, like, the same as pop up? Or pop down? Or pop pop you can't stop?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 22:50 
Excellent Member

Saturnalian wrote:
What is a "jaggy"? Is that, like, the same as pop up? Or pop down? Or pop pop you can't stop?

It's where a curved or angled line appear stepped or jagged rather than smooth because smoothing those kind of things out can require relatively intense processing; so on console games vs the PC equivalent there's less smoothing done, due to the relatively lack of processing grunt available.

Pop-up, or pop-in, is when background objects don't get drawn in quick enough so instead of appearing in the distance and getting gradually closer as you'd expect they suddenly pop-up at a relatively close range. Personally I find that pretty distracting depending how bad it is because it can mean your attention is constantly drawn to the sort of background objects that you shouldn't really be noticing.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 23:14 

Its frame rate jitter that's important really - a rock solid 20 is better than a mostly-40-sometimes-20-though. That and input lag. A responsive 20 is better than 40 that is quarter of a second behind your presses.

AE demands a solid billion fps with no dropouts and 0ms lag, which is hard but up to him.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 23:18 
Bad Girl

I love that you explained that, Bamba. ;)

Also, I don't know about my aging eyes but the PS3 version has been nigh on immaculate in my, erm, y'know. I've not noticed any noticeable drop in frame rate, it's fast as fuck, there's little pop up (or pop in, fact fans), and it has constantly left me wondering how the fuck they did it. It's jaw dropping, it's beautiful, there's so many twinkly night lights AT NIGHT, there's loads of cars at certain times of the day and in the sorts of places you'd expect loads of cars, the scenery is so richly detailed, the air, the falling, the comedy prat falls, the bill boards (bloody autocorrect) (the chocolate one on the freeway is ace with a man hanging from the wrapper - you could imagine that somewhere) (I wonder how many people, like me, stopped to see if it was a real man hanging off) (I did approach it from behind, mind) (bracket), anyway... Everything is freaking amazing!

Apart from the story, some missions and shit which isn't blowing me away but is still pretty awesome.

So, um, there. PS3 RULEZ.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:08 
Excellent Member

Saturnalian wrote:
I love that you explained that, Bamba. ;)

Heh, I appear to have developed an unfortunate habit of taking people completely at face value online unless they signpost the hell out of any joke they're making. It's the trait most responsible for the delight myp takes in tormenting me.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:22 
Excellent Member

AtrocityExhibition wrote:
Trooper wrote:

Well I guess everyone's threshold for what they're prepared to put up with in terms of technical issues before they render a game unplayable for them personally is going to be different.

I put up with it in GTAIV but my expectations have changed since then, I'm used to super-smooth, pin-sharp and consistent 2560x1440@60FPS gameplay, I'm used to a reload or restart of a mission being basically instantaneous, I'm used to totally lag-free controls, that's pretty much my baseline now, and GTAV simply doesn't stack up. I was doing one of the early driving missions and I'm just like 'why is my screen full of horrible low resolution jaggies lurching around at 20FPS and why are the controls like wading through treacle?' - it broke it for me, it wasn't fun. It probably didn't help that I was playing it on the big 40 inch telly which is very unforgiving on that sort of thing.

I'm almost certainly going to get a PS4 not too long after it's released, and I'll play GTAV on that, and I'm sure I'll enjoy it just fine :)

By all accounts most folks don't care about how GTAV runs, the mate I borrowed it off is primarily a PC gamer and he had a raft of problems with the game on a technical level, but for him the game itself transcended those problems and he all but 100% completed it. For me it tipped the other way and I couldn't tolerate it - but that's just a personal choice, surely?

I hope all aspects of life dont disappoint folk in the same way console games stack up to PC etc

I couldnt help read this and think of someone jacking it to nice porn then finding out (most) real women arent like that.
"yeah but im used to multiple angle POV insertions, high resolution and volume cumshots, and a size 6, 32DD 18yr old nymphomaniac who loves deepthroat".

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:29 
Excellent Member

LaceSensor wrote:
I couldnt help read this and think of someone jacking it to nice porn then finding out (most) real women arent like that.
"yeah but im used to multiple angle POV insertions, high resolution and volume cumshots, and a size 6, 32DD 18yr old nymphomaniac who loves deepthroat".

Except that PCs actually exist in real life and AE owns one so, in your metaphor, surely he's already got a real woman who does everything you mention there? The lesson he needs to learn is to stop 'slumming it' (by his standards) as he's destined always to be disappointed.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:33 
Excellent Member

Bamba wrote:
LaceSensor wrote:

Except that PCs actually exist in real life and AE owns one so, in your metaphor, surely he's already got a real woman who does everything you mention there? The lesson he needs to learn is to stop 'slumming it' (by his standards) as he's destined always to be disappointed.

I disagree. Petite girls with big tits and multiple personality disorders exist in real life.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 17:58 
Hello Hello Hello

Bamba wrote:
The lesson he needs to learn is to stop 'slumming it' (by his standards) as he's destined always to be disappointed.

Well it was kind of a 'no lose gamble' because I borrowed the game off a mate rather than actually buying it, so if I'd have been able to get on with it then fine, if not, I just give him the game back :D

It's quite a while since I've gamed on a console in anger on a game like this (technically sub-par) so I'd forgotten how much the whole experience got on my tits.

PC release is scheduled for early 2014 by all accounts, so I don't have that long to wait for my personal GTAV odyssey :)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 20:04 
Bad Girl

With a certain someone in the truck, did anyone else purposefully drive along the rumble bars (probably not rumble bars in Yankee town)?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 20:17 
Bad Girl

Finished. I hated it. It was rubbish. My eyes are sore trying to keep track when everything is going at 5.6 frames per metre. It's so ugly with all those jaggies. Oh the jaggies! My freaking eyes! FUCK YOUR JAGGY JAGGIES! I've seen straighter edges on Pacman's arsehole. And the credits are still rolling!? What kind of game doesn't let you skip the credits? SHIT ONES. Don't ever play this, people, it's dreadful.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 20:21 
Bad Girl

Oh. I can skip the credits...

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 19:45 
Bad Girl

Excellently you can try all the end games from the "Game" menu. Which is sweet cause I didn't fancy playing the whole thing again.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 20:31 
INFINITE POWAH

I love you, man.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 21:15 
Chinny chin chin

Cookie197 wrote:

Minimum the brain needs for fluid motion is about 15fps. Max? Well in theory you can go as high as you like because eyes don't see in frame rates. I recall hearing that BBC R&D were looking at 300fps video.

The real limiting factor is the refresh of the monitor. Trying to display 120fps on a 75Hz monitor won't work.

Me? I have no problems with the frame rate in GTA. Perhaps I spent my youth enjoying good games on my CPC rather than whining that Castle Master was only running at 3fps. I don't recall the frame rate on stuff like F1GP bothering me either and that was seriously laggy by modern standards.

I only just acquired Starfox for the SNES. I bloody love it. Beats most modern games into a cocked hat even though it has primitive graphics and not the best frame rate. Fun with a capital F.

Reply to topic  [ 1274 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 ... 26  Next