Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 1274 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21 ... 26  Next
 Post subject: Re: GTA V - stand aside, pretenders
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 7:05 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Zio wrote:
"Ambition far exceeding the ability of it's host machine". Total bollocks.

You can't even begin to say that until you see GTA5 running on a PC or next-gen console, of course. Unless you were part of the GTA5 dev team, I guess.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 9:14 
Hello Hello Hello

Zio wrote:
Hearthly wrote:
but it was clearly the game's ambition far exceeding the ability of its host machine

I know we've been over and over this, but speaking as someone with a decent enough PC to play games on well, and knowing that you're absolutely right about games generally looking and playing much better on PC - statements like this are just clear nonsense. It's like you're making out the game is unplayable on PS3 and Xbox 360, when that objectively is not the case. Not even nearly.

I don't doubt GTA V will be a much nicer experience on a well-specced PC (although GTA IV for the PC was an absolute mess at launch) - but the experience was already pretty damn wonderful on both PS3 and Xbox 360. A slightly improved framerate and graphical niceties will just be the cherry on an already quite awesome cake.

"Ambition far exceeding the ability of it's host machine". Total bollocks.

I think we had this back on Page 25 or 26 of this thread, I borrowed GTAV for the 360 off a mate, I installed it on my 360 - (it was about 35 minutes before I could actually play the game IIRC, since I needed a 360 update, then the game install, and then a game update) - and went into it with an open mind.

The opening shooty bank heist and driving section wasn't too bad, (albeit still worryingly lurchy), but that was a bit more confined with limited traffic and less in the way of 'open world' stuff, but once the game opened up proper and I took on a couple of missions, and started to do some driving around the city, I was like 'No way, not doing this again' (referring back to how GTAIV ran on the 360).

In particular I got a high speed car with Franklin and decided to go off for a proper zoom around, whereupon the whole screen regularly disintegrated into a jaggy lurching mess, the framerate routinely crashed through the floor and the console was unable to stream the world assets in fast enough to keep up - it broke the illusion of a cohesive game world for me, basically.

I turned it off, and resolved to play it when it was released on either a next-gen console or a PC which could do it justice.

The Eurogamer article I linked to above is very blunt, and simply states - 'GTA 5 simply didn't run very well on PS3 or 360.' And that's my feelings on it too.

Please do be aware that I absolutely put my money where my mouth is on this sort of thing, the 'next-gen' console I've purchased is a Nintendo Wii U. Nintendo are remarkably consistent in putting out their first party Wii U titles at 720@60, to the extent that they'll compromise in other areas to hit that goal. Mario Kart 8 for example eschews any sort of anti-aliasing and uses some pretty poor texture filtering (along with other nips and tucks to image quality), but the payoff is a solid 60FPS performance which is what I demand in racing games.

And yes I know GTAIV was a comical mess on PC at launch, which is why I totally ignored it at the time and bought it some 18-24 months later when I had a quad-core processer and GTX480 graphics card which could power through it with ease, and the game had been the recipient of quite a few patches.

So full circle back to GTAV, I readily acknowledge that what Rockstar managed to get the 360/PS3 to do with that game was nothing short of some kind of arcane magic (IMO it's a damn sight prettier than the allegedly next-gen Watchdogs running on XBoner or PS4) - but for my money it was stretching the hardware too far, to the extent that the cohesion of the game was stretched past breaking point.

I think it needed some more horsepower chucking at it, which is why I've waited patiently for Rockstar to make the announcement they have about the new versions.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 9:38 
Bad Girl

Quote:
The Eurogamer article I linked to above is very blunt, and simply states - 'GTA 5 simply didn't run very well on PS3 or 360.' And that's my feelings on it too.

But you've only played it on the 360. :shrug:

I've not played the 360 version but the PS3 is a dream. There's very little slow down that I noticed and, at times, it was running lightning fast.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 9:41 
UltraMod

It was obviously pushing the hardware to its limits (much like San Andreas did), but it was eminently playable or else I wouldn't have sunk 120 hrs+ into it.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 9:41 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Saturnalian wrote:
Quote:

I've got a feeling that Eurogamer would have tried it on both.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 9:42 

I thought it was very good on PS3 too, it didn't seem to struggle particularly. Hardly surprising given that that it was one of the two main target platforms. It's hardly some mind-blowing revelation to state that a game can be made to look nicer and run at a higher frame rate on more modern hardware but I really don't understand why anyone thinks that this applies to GTAV in particular.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 9:53 
Hello Hello Hello

Saturnalian wrote:
Quote:

I've not played the 360 version but the PS3 is a dream. There's very little slow down that I noticed and, at times, it was running lightning fast.

The Eurogamer face-off at the time said (IIRC) that there was basically nothing in it, certainly in terms of framerate both versions targeted 30FPS and rendered natively at 720p with identical graphical assets, but routinely dropped to 20FPS when the engine was under heavy load. So yes I haven't played the PS3 version but by all accounts there's very little to choose between the two versions.

Hang on should be easy enough to find.....

Yes - http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digit ... 5-face-off

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 9:58 

American Nervoso wrote:
It was obviously pushing the hardware to its limits (much like San Andreas did), but it was eminently playable or else I wouldn't have sunk 120 hrs+ into it.

:this:

In the interests of full disclosure, I also played (and finished) it on PS3 and haven't tried the Xbox 360 version.

It's undoubtedly going to be a better experience on PC and on Xbone and PS4, probably a vastly better experience. Smoother, more consistent framerates, increased draw distance (which, to be fair, will likely only be noticeable in the planes and helicopters), better visual effects et al. And there's no question that GTA V taxes the hardware it currently runs on to the absolute limit. But it plays perfectly well. Unless the Xbox 360 version is significantly worse than the PS3 version, which is historically unlikely, this talk that the screen "regularly disintegrated into a jaggy lurching mess" and "the framerate routinely crashed through the floor" is just total fucking nonsense. It might not have run at 60FPS, but it does run consistently smoothly - if not a constant 30FPS then something approaching it. Unless you have the most sensitive eyes and brain on the planet, which going by AE's previous comments regarding console gaming may actually be true in his case, there's no way you could ever legitimately complain about the performance of the game in it's existing incarnations.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:01 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

So we're all agreed that GTA5 was very impressive on PS3 and 360 and will probably be far better on PC / PS4 / XBone?

Good.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:03 
UltraMod

Grim... wrote:
So we're all agreed that GTA5 was very impressive on PS3 and 360 and will probably be far better on PC / PS4 / XBone?

Good.

Was this ever in doubt?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:03 

Grim... wrote:

Good.

AND ANOTHER THING!...

No, actually, I'd agree with that. :)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 11:52 
Bad Girl

I agree that I won't be buying an updated version of the game for a different platform. Well, unless there's substantial additional content that justifies shelling out more pennies.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 12:08 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

It wouldn't surprise me at all if there was - like "greatest hits" albums that have an extra, unreleased song on them >:(

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 12:09 
Excellent Member

Zio wrote:
American Nervoso wrote:

In the interests of full disclosure, I also played (and finished) it on PS3 and haven't tried the Xbox 360 version.

It's undoubtedly going to be a better experience on PC and on Xbone and PS4, probably a vastly better experience. Smoother, more consistent framerates, increased draw distance (which, to be fair, will likely only be noticeable in the planes and helicopters), better visual effects et al. And there's no question that GTA V taxes the hardware it currently runs on to the absolute limit. But it plays perfectly well. Unless the Xbox 360 version is significantly worse than the PS3 version, which is historically unlikely, this talk that the screen "regularly disintegrated into a jaggy lurching mess" and "the framerate routinely crashed through the floor" is just total fucking nonsense. It might not have run at 60FPS, but it does run consistently smoothly - if not a constant 30FPS then something approaching it. Unless you have the most sensitive eyes and brain on the planet, which going by AE's previous comments regarding console gaming may actually be true in his case, there's no way you could ever legitimately complain about the performance of the game in it's existing incarnations.

Unfortunately they're probably going to push the shinies on the new console versions instead of the framerate. Smoothness just isn't a priority for developers any more.

I was shocked when i watched this total biscuit video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXJh9ut2hrc

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 12:18 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

We try to get 60PFS on the web, for God's sake. Saying it doesn't matter for video games is crazy.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 12:20 
UltraMod

Grim... wrote:
It wouldn't surprise me at all if there was - like "greatest hits" albums that have an extra, unreleased song on them >:(

If it had all the multiplayer DLC and the episodes DLC they undoubtedly have planned, I could be tempted.

I'd have to buy a PS4 first, though.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 12:33 
Filthy Junkie Bitch

American Nervoso wrote:
Grim... wrote:

Good.

Was this ever in doubt?

According to Eurogamer, anyone who played it on PS3/Xbox should gouge their eyes out with rusty stanley blades. Which I'm sure they didn't say in September.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 12:38 
UltraMod

ApplePieOfDestiny wrote:
American Nervoso wrote:
Grim... wrote:

Good.

Was this ever in doubt?

According to Eurogamer, anyone who played it on PS3/Xbox should gouge their eyes out with rusty stanley blades. Which I'm sure they didn't say in September.

Their 9/10 review suggests not.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 12:48 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Not giving that game 10/10 was a travesty.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 12:51 
Unpossible!

I wish I had time to play it more.

Stuck fast at the point where Trevor reunites with Michael.

I want to play it :(

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 12:52 
UltraMod

Grim... wrote:

It's not quite as good as GTA IV though, so I can see why they didn't.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 13:13 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

MR BIG EYES

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 13:18 
ugvm'er at heart...

American Nervoso wrote:
Grim... wrote:

It's not quite as good as GTA IV though, so I can see why they didn't.

Fuck off

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 13:50 

RuySan wrote:
Zio wrote:
American Nervoso wrote:

Unfortunately they're probably going to push the shinies on the new console versions instead of the framerate. Smoothness just isn't a priority for developers any more.

Great video, thanks for posting this!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 14:02 
Bad Girl

I couldn't watch that for more than 5 minutes due his awful inflection which sounded to me like he was narrating a cricket match.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 14:10 
Unpossible!

Saturnalian wrote:
I couldn't watch that for more than 5 minutes due his awful inflection which sounded to me like he was narrating a cricket match.

This.

Some odd version of geordie.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 14:11 
Master of dodgy spelling....

I have only played this for 2 hours... i need to find time

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 14:15 
Excellent Member

Saturnalian wrote:

I really don't know what you're talking about, but what do I know about that?. I really enjoy his pronunciation and can understand each word clearly, which for me as a non English speaker is something that I don't find that often and value a lot.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 14:34 
Hello Hello Hello

RuySan wrote:

It does look that way, yes, which is why I started this thread a few months ago, because I really did expect 1080@60 to be the baseline for XBoner/PS4 - viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9819

That TotalBiscuit video is pretty good (he also explains what I've tried to about five zillion times as to the difference between 24FPS on film and 60FPS in videogames, and why 30FPS isn't as good as 60FPS for fluidity and input response), useful link here too http://30vs60.com/

However, I wouldn't say smoothness isn't a priority for all developers, Nintendo appear to be ruthlessly targeting 720p@60 for all their Wii U titles, which is one of the reasons I've got a Wii U sat under my telly and have bought three first party Nintendo games for it, all of which run at 720@60.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digit ... o-3d-world

Quote:
All of these features would be for nothing if the performance wasn't there, of course. Mario titles demand precision and a quick response that call for a solid 60 frames per second update. More so than most games aiming for this goal, EAD has managed to deliver a 100 per cent consistent update. Every moment of the game, every menu transition, and every element of the user interface all operate at 60fps without a single hitch. Shooting for 60fps is no small task and requires cooperation from the entire team throughout the development cycle, but Nintendo takes it further by taking a zero-tolerance approach to frame-rate dips.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:01 
Bad Girl

Latest update is apparently roller coaster rides?

http://m.imgur.com/cuI4lWI

(Nicked from reddit, but apparently it's right)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:18 
Sleepyhead

And Ms Lohan suing them.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 12:27 
Bad Girl

Some great skydiving videos on 'ere.

http://www.vg247.com/2014/12/12/watch-s ... st-person/

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 20:55 
Excellent Member

As with The Last Of Us I realise I'm on the wrong side of popular opinion here but: I'm really, really fucking bored. I've played as far as the setup for the first heist (so not very far I realise) and I'm just not even slightly interested in it. Too much of it's just driving mindlessly from one place to the next. I just tried to rob the van that's carrying <mcguffin> that I need for the heist I've no real idea how to do it and neither do I give a shit. Is it worth persevering here, or do I just not like GTA games (something I've long suspected after giving GTA 3 a go and the reason I haven't tried one properly until now)?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 21:09 
Bad Girl

Just give up gaming.

(Actually I got bored on occasion. But then I'd turn it off and come back when I was feeling more chipper; get in a car and turn on one of the hip hop channels (preferably playing some NWA) and bust around the glorious setting shooting up mofo's and doing the odd mission)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 18:47 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

PC launch delayed again :'(

14th April now.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015- ... -yet-again

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 20:06 
Hello Hello Hello

No biggy, as long as it's right at launch a bit of an extra wait is neither here nor there. (I mean, it was 18 months or more until GTA4 was licked into a reasonable shape on PC and indeed the PC to run it properly actually existed, so a rush release of GTA5 isn't in anyone's interest.)

I'm really looking forward to the game so the delay is a bit of a bummer of course, but there are lots of other games to play in the meantime :)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 17:38 
Heists are out and working! Anyone want to play some? PS4!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 14:23 
ugvm'er at heart...

The internet goes crazy as patch 1.08 ruins GTAV by downgrading all the graphics!

Is it just me, or is there not really much of a difference at all?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 14:41 
Excellent Member

With the collisions thing it looks like they've just turned down the amount of damage each one does, though that seems like a weird decision to make. The parallax occlusion comparison is really obvious on the train tracks and from then you can see that everything looks much more like a flat texture that's been wrapped around something and much less like an actual 3D bit of ground or whatever. The other two just make everything look a lot fuzzier in general. Would you actually notice any of this playing? Hard to say, but assuming the footage is genuine they have definitely 'downgraded' some aspects there.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 14:55 
Hello Hello Hello

Definitely looks downgraded to me, quite a few references to it if you have a Google around, by all accounts they're trying to even out the framerate as it can still take some nasty dips in certain situations (so says Google).

Would have made more sense to me to give players the choice, just have two settings, 'high fidelity' and 'high performance'.

I'm still waiting patiently for the PC version. Waiting for PC versions of Rockstar games is a very good way to develop almost zen-like levels of patience.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 23:32 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Well, this will please AE.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 0:41 
Hello Hello Hello

The final kicker on this one of course may well be that my stalwart but ageing PC will splutter out on GTAV and I'll end up dropping £1500 on a new PC just to play this fucking game.

Then again, I've been looking for a decent excuse to buy a whole new PC for fucking ages now, so maybe it's for the best.

Or it could well be that my current PC will run it just fine, it depends how much of a performance increase from the XBone/PS4 you need to crank it out to 60FPS and 2560x1440. (I suspect I may well get away with just a new graphics card, as Intel's latest CPUs are still basically just iterations of the original Bloomfield architecture, of which my i7-920 is one of the of the original examples of, and mine is cheerfully running at 3.4GHz and has been for years, which isn't too far off what the new ones run at.)

One thing that's for sure though is there'll no way I'll find room for it on my rammed 128GB SSD, so I'll either have to run it from one of my hard drives (hiss spit), or get a bigger SSD to go with the new graphics card.

Meh, and then you're just into new PC territory really, aren't you? Lol.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 15:52 
Hello Hello Hello

The PC release on the 14th April seems to be sticking this time, £39.99 is the pre-purchase price on Steam which apparently snags you $1.35M of the ingame currency, is that a lot and do I really care about it?

Since I'll inevitably end up buying it anyway (even if it does take a new PC to heft it around properly), I guess I may as well pre-purchase and get the free money.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 12:12 
In the main story 1.35 won't make THAT much of a difference, you'll be able to get more ammo as as far as I can remember the weapons unlock at certain times during the game. Online it will enable you to buy a high end apartment which once you reach level 12 will enable you do to heists and then get new cars and whatnot. The armoured car that everyone haves is available after the first heist, and it's basically a must for online gaming as that way you won't get shot to shit so quickly. But you won't be able to buy better guns and stuff until you level up. I've managed to save up just under 3mil right now which will let me buy a harrier jet, which will probably get shot down as soon as I go and play with it.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 12:17 
Excellent Member

I played the entire campaign without caring about money; I did the stock trading stuff so one of my characters had shitloads of cash but I never actually bought anything outside the stuff that was totally required for certain missions.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 12:24 
You only really need it online for nice cars, guns and flying stuff.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 12:46 
Decapodian

My PC is an i7 with plenty of RAM and a GTX660 (OEM so slightly lower clock and RAM than retail). I assume this will still be better than the PS4 version?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 13:05 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

Dr Zoidberg wrote:
My PC is an i7 with plenty of RAM and a GTX660 (OEM so slightly lower clock and RAM than retail). I assume this will still be better than the PS4 version?

It depends who you ask. ;)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 13:32 
Decapodian

I'll get whichever comes up cheap then.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 13:35 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Assuming you're as happy to play on your PC as your PS4 (with regards to the screen it's plugged into and the controllers, etc), it's almost certainly going to be the best platform (not only in terms of performance but also in mods down the line).

Reply to topic  [ 1274 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21 ... 26  Next