Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 1274 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24 ... 26  Next
 Post subject: Re: GTA V - stand aside, pretenders
PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 16:50 
Esoteric

Bamba wrote:
JohnCoffey wrote:
What was annoying was that the game automatically assumes you know how to land a plane and have worked out all of the distances ETC. Obviously you haven't, so every time you try and land for the first couple of times you crash. Then it puts you back to the start of that section and thus very annoyingly you have to fly for three to four minutes before you even get another go at landing. My plane didn't seem to have any landing gear and thus the mission was impossible.

Yeah, I skipped this exact mission as well (indeed it was the only one I skipped) because, while I don't mind practising landing to get better at it, I'm not sitting through five minutes of meaningless flying before every attempt. Fuck that noise. Although I will point out that there's a button to put down your landing gear which the game does point out to you during that section.

That would have been where I was going wrong then. What assholes.

There are many things in this game that are not made clear. They stick messages at the top left of the screen which in 4k resolution are pretty small. What they should do is auto pause the game and give you time to read it. Usually though? I'm tucked in behind a wall with enemies coming in from every direction so I don't have time to read their bloody tips !!

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 17:29 
Nice to see you back JC!

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 17:41 
Esoteric

Cheers Nick. Hope you've had a smooth couple of years mate :)

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 18:00 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Hang on a fucking minute!
Bamba wrote:
I was a bit drunk last night

On a Monday night? Hardcore.

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 18:33 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Mondays are the new oh I don't fucking know.

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 21:27 
Excellent Member

Grim... wrote:
Hang on a fucking minute!
Bamba wrote:
I was a bit drunk last night

On a Monday night? Hardcore.

A recently separated mate of mine tends to have his kids at the weekends now so seems to have designated Monday as a regular pub night. It's doing me no good whatsoever.

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 21:46 
Hello Hello Hello

JohnCoffey wrote:
That would have been where I was going wrong then. What assholes.

There are many things in this game that are not made clear. They stick messages at the top left of the screen which in 4k resolution are pretty small. What they should do is auto pause the game and give you time to read it. Usually though? I'm tucked in behind a wall with enemies coming in from every direction so I don't have time to read their bloody tips !!

I've Googled stuff like 'How to do a stealth takedown from behind in GTAV' on several occasions already.....

It's like, they show you something once when you're about 47 minutes into the game, and then expect you to remember it fifteen hours of playtime later.....

I return to my previous point though, every GTA game from GTA3 onwards has had various problems with clunky controls and general user interface shittery, so it's absolutely nothing new, and I think that GTAV is certainly the best so far - especially when you factor in totally seamless transitioning between the pad and K+M.

(I know you can have auto-aim for the shooting bits with the pad, and in all fairness it's probably required, but it does feel a bit too much like cheating for my tastes.)

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 22:17 
Esoteric

Yeah I'll definitely give them some credit for the missions. Every other GTA game just hasn't drawn me in and made me want to do anything but steal cars and have free roaming fun.

I remember once trying to get into San Andreas and one of the missions was a BMX race. It reminded me of that old racing game where you had a top down view of the entire track and a steering wheel that span a full 360'. Atari Sprint? Something like that any way..

It just felt very clunky and dated as an actual game.

I'm not overly enamoured by Trevor or the location of his story. I much preferred the city and the missions there. I did my first heist peacefully by bunging the gas into the air conditioning and I must say I really preferred that play style.

Trevor's missions are just shooting which IMO doesn't work terribly well in this game. The enemies come from all around but the best idea is to hide behind a wall. Sadly when some one comes up behind you it's clunky and clumsy and I keep getting killed before I can turn around. Linear, that's the word I'm looking for.

I'm hoping if I take on the slog the game will get better. I noticed that it was very quick to point out that I'd pulled off my first heist so hopefully there will be more of that game style. If I want to mindlessly shoot things I have games like Crysis 3.

I dunno. I still think this game is somewhat lacking in intelligence somewhere but at least they got some of it right :)

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 9:22 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Brain dump incoming:

Excellent vroom vroom pew pew with The Egg (and his amazing T-shirt) last night. Neither he nor I were interested in doing actual jobs, so we just got in a car to see what would happen.

What did happen is that another player shot me in the face with a sniper rifle, so The Egg and I teamed up to take him down - it only took us about six deaths each to achieve it. Then we stole a car and drove around a bit to get rid of five-oh, and Egg remarked that he wanted some money so we stole a nice car each and took them down to the custom shop to sell them. Sadly both the cars were too nice for the custom shop to want, so he went off to steal another one while I simply stole a car from their own carpark to sell back to them (although The Egg's was worth more, to be fair).

At some point we ended up on the golf course and I took a photo of Egg trying to do the stunt jump (I'll upload it at some point), and we had a shootout with a police helicopter on top of a mountain, and we went cruising for bitches on the beach in a convertible. None of them were interested in getting in the car, so we beat them up and stole their money instead (they can hide a lot of cash in those bikinis), and then we had a fight with the police on the beach.

Then Egg left and I realised that you could hold up shops if you pointed your gun at the cashier (and, excellently, shout at him down your mic to make him fill the bag faster) so I did that for a bit.

TL:DR - I fucking love this game.

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 9:24 

Grim... wrote:
Then Egg left and I realised that you could hold up shops if you pointed your gun at the cashier (and, excellently, shout at him down your mic to make him fill the bag faster) so I did that for a bit.
This is in the SP, too. The shouting into the mic is an especially nice touch.

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 14:48 
Hello Hello Hello

I was trying to create my own 'moments' in single player last night, and decided upon creating a mega-chain explosion of vehicles.

To this end I hijacked a coach and parked it across three lanes of the 'freeway', to create a nice big backlog of traffic behind it.

Unfortunately, just as I was about to blow up the first car stuck behind it, the driver of the coach appeared on the scene (having run about half a mile down the freeway in pursuit), and proceeded to smack the fuck out of me.

Obviously I had to defend myself with lethal force at which point people starting running from their cars and the police were alerted, in the general confusion I managed to not blow up a car (the fleeing public knocked me over a few times), and as the police approached, instead found myself barrelling down an empty freeway at speeds of around 120mph on a stolen motorbike with several police cars in pursuit.

One of the vicious bastards rammed me from behind, launched me about fifty feet in the air, and my subsequent impact back on the concrete and rolling down the road was enough to kill me, I found the whole thing highly amusing.

I ended up playing for over an hour and a half and made literally zero progress with any missions, not even creating a new save file, in fact.

Marvellous stuff.

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 14:50 
Unpossible!

Yep, that's the stuff.

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 15:03 
Esoteric

Yeah see now that's how I used to play the game. It was a sand box for me to create my own stories and fun :)

Sadly JC's rig is not very well so I might have to resort to using the pocket rocket in which case I'm praying I can transfer my save game over as it doesn't store in the Social Club, only locally.

Fingers crossed!

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 9:03 
Hello Hello Hello

Highlights from last night....

Michael's ketamine trip courtesy of his dickhead son, the ketamine trip was cool though. (It's a shame he's fallen out so badly with his missus as she's fairly tidy.)

Riding the cable car from ground level to the top of the mountain, and then riding all the way back down on a trail bike using the bike trails on the other side of the mountain.

Improving Franklin's shooting skills at the shooting range, I found this surprisingly good fun.

I need to investigate making some money by playing the stock market or perhaps investing in some businesses, I have enough money to buy some of the cheaper ones but the returns look rather paltry.

I also spent a lot of time just gawping in wonder at the game, taking a long taxi ride to allow for an effective 'spectator mode' works very well in this regard.

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 9:19 
Hello Hello Hello

Oh shit yes and that crazy Ursula woman, she just pops up on the map as one of those blue dots, so I picked her up thinking, 'A-ha, a woman! Franklin may charm her and get some action!'

Unfortunately (and perhaps inevitably) she turns out to be a total lunatic, ranting about feet and shoes and shoes that look like feet and bird soup and how other people who've picked her up get sick and fall off cliffs, and how lonely she's been since momma died.

Upon dropping her off she professed her love for me, gave me her phone number, and now I have her as a contact.

So yeah, I'll probably follow up on that one to see what happens......

I love just driving around looking for the random blue dot encounters.

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 18:28 
Esoteric

Woo I managed to rescue my save game :D all I need to do now is reinstall it and copy the save game over.

Relief !

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 9:53 
Hello Hello Hello

Trevor is a very bad man, going off the state of poor Mr Raspberry Jam's violated eyehole. He also complimented a stripper loads and loads, until she wanted to take him back to her house for sex shenanigans, which I'm sure is how it works in real life.

Getting things in place for the second heist now, would have done it last night but one has to be responsible abount bedtimes on school nights.

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 9:59 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Hearthly wrote:
He also complimented a stripper loads and loads, until she wanted to take him back to her house for sex shenanigans, which I'm sure is how it works in real life.

Maybe.

Craster?

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 10:05 
Hibernating Druid

You strip for Craster?

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 10:16 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

It is not.

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 10:26 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Maybe you weren't being complimentary enough?

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 10:33 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

I was complimenting with greenbacks, clearly that's where I'm going wrong.

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 10:35 
Gogmagog

Cras wrote:

"My daughter does that, but only half as well"

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 10:53 
Hello Hello Hello

Cras wrote:

If you get a private dance and just mash the 'like' button (or whatever it's described as..... the green one), and put your hands all over her whenever the bouncer isn't looking, and do that for two $40 dances, to fill the like bar right up, she'll offer to meet you out back and then you can drive her home.

(And the 'compliments' you give her are often backhanded at best.)

Thereafter she'll be available as a contact and start sending you pictures of her boobies.

I know the GTA games aren't very good at women, but even so I was a bit like, 'Hmmm, really?......'

Maybe I got lucky in finding the girl who's receptive to Tervor's charms, as she's a named character.

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 13:10 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

I believe Craster is talking about a real life event (see my signature).

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 13:21 
Filthy Junkie Bitch

You get kicked out of stripclubs if you mash the like button repeatedly, in my experience.

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 14:25 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

I think it's considered polite to wait until you get home.

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 14:37 
Esoteric

Well I was actually wrong, and so I owe Rockstar an apology. It wasn't actually their updates that were decreasing my FPS it was my broken PC. At first my overclock went bad so I changed it back to the normal clocks (4ghz 6 cores). Well over a couple of weeks that soon changed to 1.1ghz when under load.

So I gutted my Hackintosh and put my X79 UD3 and 8c 16t 2ghz Ivybridge Xeon into the main rig.

And now I'm back to mid 50s in the city and mid 40s in the desert.

Will resume my save game tonight, hoping to get through a bit more. Totally stoked though :D

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 9:47 
Hello Hello Hello

So despite being at the stage where I prepping for the second heist at the end of my last session, I managed to play for over three hours last night and made NO PROGRESS WHATSOEVER towards preparing for the heist, let alone actually doing the heist.

The way you can flip between the three characters is genius, as I wasn't really in the mood for MAJOR HEIST ACTION (which is on Trevor at the moment), so I mucked about with Michael and Franklin instead, clearing out some of things they had on the map.

Did the first Lester assassination mission and made a fortune on the stock market buying low on the company that was about to get the boost, and buying low afterwards on the company that got fucked (which rebounded after a week or so of in game time).

Franklin got his rocks off with crazy Ursula woman (who really is nuts), but more than anything I just went off exploring again, before finishing off with an absolutely awesome outbreak of mass carnage when I managed to block an entire three lanes with a big truck (a 'semi' as I believe they call them in America), and set off a chain explosion of epic proportions on the traffic that backed up behind it.

Didn't make it out alive unfortunately, turns out the police take a dim view of that sort of thing.

I realise this is all old news to those who played the game out on its original release on 360/PS3, but I always said I was going to wait for the PC version and I'm not sorry I did :)

Oh yes Franklin has a nice house in the hills now, so doesn't have to live with his insane aunt anymore. Chop keeps shitting all over the back yard though, maybe I should take him for walks, or something.

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 9:57 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Hearthly wrote:
Oh yes Franklin has a nice house in the hills now, so doesn't have to live with his insane aunt anymore. Chop keeps shitting all over the back yard though, maybe I should take him for walks, or something.

You look after Chop with the iFruit app.

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 10:16 
Hello Hello Hello

Grim... wrote:
Hearthly wrote:

You look after Chop with the iFruit app.

Yeah I didn't bother with that as I have to VPN my phone to get it (as it's got paid content).

I've done it now though.

It's really bad, isn't it?

Seems easy enough to keep the dog happy though.

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 20:27 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

It is indeed bad. You can get free car upgrades, though (the first time).

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 8:06 
Hello Hello Hello

Amazing. I can now tell him to sit and hold his paw.

This morning the slobbering lump needed feeding, watering, and having his shit picked up.

I wish there was an option to have a cat instead, or maybe guinea pigs. Or at least, at breed of dog that I like.

Back in the main game itself, is Trevor actually fucking that Floyd guy in his condo down near the beach (the one that you use as a safehouse)? Last night I switched to Trevor and he was in bed with Floyd (in the spoon position), who was wearing pink pyjamas and kind of curled up in a foetal position on the side of the bed. Trevor patted him on his arse and said something I can't exactly remember, and then when he left the apartment I could hear Floyd crying to himself in the bed.

Then when I stole the minisub for the heist, Trevor said something to Floyd to the effect of that if Floyd didn't continue to help him, 'Well, you know what will happen again'.

30 hours playtime so far and I haven't even done the second heist!

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 8:12 
Paws for thought

What is up with the helicopters? They have all the handling of a rogue flying lettuce.

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 8:21 

Yeah, they're properly awful. They were great in GTA IV but for some reason Rockstar have decided that it would be more fun if the helicopters constantly wobble instead of ever going in a straight line.

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 12:37 
Esoteric

markg wrote:
Yeah, they're properly awful. They were great in GTA IV but for some reason Rockstar have decided that it would be more fun if the helicopters constantly wobble instead of ever going in a straight line.

I noticed the planes like to lurch all over the place too. Maybe the guy flying their test equipment was drunk.

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 12:55 
Paws for thought

JohnCoffey wrote:
markg wrote:

I noticed the planes like to lurch all over the place too. Maybe the guy flying their test equipment was drunk.

Yeah, the planes aren't great, but generally ok. (and better if you've improved flying skill, but still too often turbulent even if you've maxed the skill)

But they're miles in front of helicopters.

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 13:39 
Hello Hello Hello

I've found the helis alright TBH, did the Flying School the other night including the helis and didn't have any trouble in particular.

Michael did get his 100% skill whilst he was doing it though, so maybe that helped.

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 13:42 

Nah, even with 100% flying skill (which I think Trevor has from the off anyway). they're properly ruined compared to how they were in GTAIV.

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 13:56 
Paws for thought

markg wrote:
Nah, even with 100% flying skill (which I think Trevor has from the off anyway). they're properly ruined compared to how they were in GTAIV.

He's cloae but not quite.

Michael will get 100% before doing the helicopter training, but as you say it doesn't help, it still pendulums around like it's doing a drunken dance at a disco.

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 16:19 
I found the flying the choppers not too bad, just takes practice. Flying skill helps too.

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 8:52 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

I've been playing through the multiplayer heists with 3 friends. Normally we do ok but not last night.

There was a relatively simple "Rob the bank and getaway" mission but we failed every single time. We had bikes to getaway on but they leave you open to getting shot by the police and they're not as fast as most of the cars.

Most frustrating.

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 10:16 
TheVision wrote:
I've been playing through the multiplayer heists with 3 friends. Normally we do ok but not last night.

There was a relatively simple "Rob the bank and getaway" mission but we failed every single time. We had bikes to getaway on but they leave you open to getting shot by the police and they're not as fast as most of the cars.

Most frustrating.

The bikes are faster than cars. But if someone knows where they live and has an armoured karuma they can drive the bike home and pick up the karuma whilst the others go and wait in Trevor's warehouse. When I take the bikes I go offroad, there's less police that way and once you're on the mountain it's usually fine.

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 10:57 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

I tried to go off road but the helicopters kept catching up with us.

I'm sure we'll do it, but it is frustrating.

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 13:51 
Hello Hello Hello

So thanks to my CONSTANT BANGING ON about this game (I know that doesn't sound like me....) five of my regular gaming chums now have this on their PCs, so we can put a group of six of us together.

How does the online stuff work then? On one of the loading screens I've seen it say that we need to be Rank 12 to do a heist, and I'm guessing none of us are Rank 12 as none of us have even gone into online mode yet.

Can the six of us just group up together and start dicking around on the map, or is it like a shared server world sort of thing with other people in it or what?

I have had a Google around but couldn't find anything simple and definitive about how it all works :shrug:

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 14:04 
Filthy Junkie Bitch

I earned $45,000 playing rockets vs insurgents last night, in a randoms game where our team lost - easily. Yet only won $5,000 for winning a jet race against people of massively higher rank How does the money award work - game length?

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 14:07 
Esoteric

Hearthly wrote:
I have had a Google around but couldn't find anything simple and definitive about how it all works :shrug:

No idea but when you figure it out give me a shout. Unless of course you're still going to be anti social and kick me out.

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 14:20 
ApplePieOfDestiny wrote:
I earned $45,000 playing rockets vs insurgents last night, in a randoms game where our team lost - easily. Yet only won $5,000 for winning a jet race against people of massively higher rank How does the money award work - game length?

More people, longer games = more money. Rockets vs insurgents is usually first to win 4 rounds so you can have 7 rounds in total which gives pretty big payout.

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 15:35 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Hearthly wrote:
[How does GTA Online work?]

There are lots of sharded "worlds", about 20 players on each one.

You join online, create a character, play the tutorial (if you want) and then get dumped into a world. On your pause menu is a "friends" list, and you all choose the same friend and click on "join this session" (or something). Wait a while for it to load, and then you'll all be in the same world. Pause again, bring up the map, and go through the list of players at the top until you find your mate, then set a waypoint to him and go find him - he'll need to stay still, as the waypoint won't follow him.

You have to be level 12 to organise heists (and own a high-end apartment), but there's plenty to do before that happens.

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 16:16 
Paws for thought

Grim... wrote:
Hearthly wrote:
[How does GTA Online work?]

There are lots of sharded "worlds", about 20 players on each one.

You join online, create a character, play the tutorial (if you want. Also: If you don't) and then get dumped into a world. On your pause menu is a "friends" list, and you all choose the same friends and click on "join this session" (or something). Wait a while for it to load, and then you'll all be in the same world. Pause again, bring up the map, and go through the list of players at the top until you find your mate, then set a waypoint to him and go find him - he'll need to stay still, as the waypoint won't follow him.

You have to be level 12 to organise heists (and own a high-end apartment), but there's plenty to do before that happens.

Fixed that.

Reply to topic  [ 1274 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24 ... 26  Next