Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 1274 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26  Next
 Post subject: Re: GTA V - stand aside, pretenders
PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 10:16 
Hello Hello Hello

Grim... wrote:
Hearthly wrote:
Oh yes Franklin has a nice house in the hills now, so doesn't have to live with his insane aunt anymore. Chop keeps shitting all over the back yard though, maybe I should take him for walks, or something.

You look after Chop with the iFruit app.

Yeah I didn't bother with that as I have to VPN my phone to get it (as it's got paid content).

I've done it now though.

It's really bad, isn't it?

Seems easy enough to keep the dog happy though.

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 20:27 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

It is indeed bad. You can get free car upgrades, though (the first time).

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 8:06 
Hello Hello Hello

Amazing. I can now tell him to sit and hold his paw.

This morning the slobbering lump needed feeding, watering, and having his shit picked up.

I wish there was an option to have a cat instead, or maybe guinea pigs. Or at least, at breed of dog that I like.

Back in the main game itself, is Trevor actually fucking that Floyd guy in his condo down near the beach (the one that you use as a safehouse)? Last night I switched to Trevor and he was in bed with Floyd (in the spoon position), who was wearing pink pyjamas and kind of curled up in a foetal position on the side of the bed. Trevor patted him on his arse and said something I can't exactly remember, and then when he left the apartment I could hear Floyd crying to himself in the bed.

Then when I stole the minisub for the heist, Trevor said something to Floyd to the effect of that if Floyd didn't continue to help him, 'Well, you know what will happen again'.

30 hours playtime so far and I haven't even done the second heist!

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 8:12 
Paws for thought

What is up with the helicopters? They have all the handling of a rogue flying lettuce.

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 8:21 

Yeah, they're properly awful. They were great in GTA IV but for some reason Rockstar have decided that it would be more fun if the helicopters constantly wobble instead of ever going in a straight line.

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 12:37 
Esoteric

markg wrote:
Yeah, they're properly awful. They were great in GTA IV but for some reason Rockstar have decided that it would be more fun if the helicopters constantly wobble instead of ever going in a straight line.

I noticed the planes like to lurch all over the place too. Maybe the guy flying their test equipment was drunk.

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 12:55 
Paws for thought

JohnCoffey wrote:
markg wrote:

I noticed the planes like to lurch all over the place too. Maybe the guy flying their test equipment was drunk.

Yeah, the planes aren't great, but generally ok. (and better if you've improved flying skill, but still too often turbulent even if you've maxed the skill)

But they're miles in front of helicopters.

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 13:39 
Hello Hello Hello

I've found the helis alright TBH, did the Flying School the other night including the helis and didn't have any trouble in particular.

Michael did get his 100% skill whilst he was doing it though, so maybe that helped.

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 13:42 

Nah, even with 100% flying skill (which I think Trevor has from the off anyway). they're properly ruined compared to how they were in GTAIV.

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 13:56 
Paws for thought

markg wrote:
Nah, even with 100% flying skill (which I think Trevor has from the off anyway). they're properly ruined compared to how they were in GTAIV.

He's cloae but not quite.

Michael will get 100% before doing the helicopter training, but as you say it doesn't help, it still pendulums around like it's doing a drunken dance at a disco.

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 16:19 
I found the flying the choppers not too bad, just takes practice. Flying skill helps too.

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 8:52 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

I've been playing through the multiplayer heists with 3 friends. Normally we do ok but not last night.

There was a relatively simple "Rob the bank and getaway" mission but we failed every single time. We had bikes to getaway on but they leave you open to getting shot by the police and they're not as fast as most of the cars.

Most frustrating.

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 10:16 
TheVision wrote:
I've been playing through the multiplayer heists with 3 friends. Normally we do ok but not last night.

There was a relatively simple "Rob the bank and getaway" mission but we failed every single time. We had bikes to getaway on but they leave you open to getting shot by the police and they're not as fast as most of the cars.

Most frustrating.

The bikes are faster than cars. But if someone knows where they live and has an armoured karuma they can drive the bike home and pick up the karuma whilst the others go and wait in Trevor's warehouse. When I take the bikes I go offroad, there's less police that way and once you're on the mountain it's usually fine.

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 10:57 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

I tried to go off road but the helicopters kept catching up with us.

I'm sure we'll do it, but it is frustrating.

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 13:51 
Hello Hello Hello

So thanks to my CONSTANT BANGING ON about this game (I know that doesn't sound like me....) five of my regular gaming chums now have this on their PCs, so we can put a group of six of us together.

How does the online stuff work then? On one of the loading screens I've seen it say that we need to be Rank 12 to do a heist, and I'm guessing none of us are Rank 12 as none of us have even gone into online mode yet.

Can the six of us just group up together and start dicking around on the map, or is it like a shared server world sort of thing with other people in it or what?

I have had a Google around but couldn't find anything simple and definitive about how it all works :shrug:

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 14:04 
Filthy Junkie Bitch

I earned $45,000 playing rockets vs insurgents last night, in a randoms game where our team lost - easily. Yet only won $5,000 for winning a jet race against people of massively higher rank How does the money award work - game length?

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 14:07 
Esoteric

Hearthly wrote:
I have had a Google around but couldn't find anything simple and definitive about how it all works :shrug:

No idea but when you figure it out give me a shout. Unless of course you're still going to be anti social and kick me out.

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 14:20 
ApplePieOfDestiny wrote:
I earned $45,000 playing rockets vs insurgents last night, in a randoms game where our team lost - easily. Yet only won $5,000 for winning a jet race against people of massively higher rank How does the money award work - game length?

More people, longer games = more money. Rockets vs insurgents is usually first to win 4 rounds so you can have 7 rounds in total which gives pretty big payout.

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 15:35 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Hearthly wrote:
[How does GTA Online work?]

There are lots of sharded "worlds", about 20 players on each one.

You join online, create a character, play the tutorial (if you want) and then get dumped into a world. On your pause menu is a "friends" list, and you all choose the same friend and click on "join this session" (or something). Wait a while for it to load, and then you'll all be in the same world. Pause again, bring up the map, and go through the list of players at the top until you find your mate, then set a waypoint to him and go find him - he'll need to stay still, as the waypoint won't follow him.

You have to be level 12 to organise heists (and own a high-end apartment), but there's plenty to do before that happens.

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 16:16 
Paws for thought

Grim... wrote:
Hearthly wrote:

You join online, create a character, play the tutorial (if you want. Also: If you don't) and then get dumped into a world. On your pause menu is a "friends" list, and you all choose the same friends and click on "join this session" (or something). Wait a while for it to load, and then you'll all be in the same world. Pause again, bring up the map, and go through the list of players at the top until you find your mate, then set a waypoint to him and go find him - he'll need to stay still, as the waypoint won't follow him.

You have to be level 12 to organise heists (and own a high-end apartment), but there's plenty to do before that happens.

Fixed that.

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 18:05 
Hello Hello Hello

Grim... wrote:
Hearthly wrote:

You join online, create a character, play the tutorial (if you want) and then get dumped into a world. On your pause menu is a "friends" list, and you all choose the same friend and click on "join this session" (or something). Wait a while for it to load, and then you'll all be in the same world. Pause again, bring up the map, and go through the list of players at the top until you find your mate, then set a waypoint to him and go find him - he'll need to stay still, as the waypoint won't follow him.

Cheers Grim... that's a nice simple synopsis :)

I think we'll probably just give it a crack and see what happens.

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 1:16 
Esoteric

Put a couple of hours in tonight :) Got my first rain too, man, it was breath taking :)

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 14:47 
Hello Hello Hello

We had our first thrash about in multiplayer last night, 'chaotic' would be about the right word for it as none of us had the first idea what we were doing, although we did manage to do some proper events a bit later on.

An awful lot of it was simply dicking around though, magnificently good fun, even if nothing of any note whatsoever was being achieved most of the time :)

Best bit was when we were supposed to be meeting up in a car park to get a car and drive off together to do a mission. However, one of my mates was wearing a ridiculous suit and top hat, and I absolutely couldn't resist trying to knock the hat off so walloped him with a serious haymaker.

Needless to say this descended quickly into a total free-for-all which escalated to lethal violence in short order, and attracted the interest of the police too, thus followed an extended police chase that took us halfway over the map.

At one point we were all just pissing ourselves laughing with the sheer nonsense of it all - great entertainment, I can see this game getting a regular spot in our Saturday night games slot.

We were on our own Teamspeak server but we could also hear someone in the game who was using the ingame VOIP, who sounded like a deranged Terry Christian style Mancunian, he added an extra element of sheer lunacy to the proceedings :)

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 16:06 
Esoteric

Last night I set up my two rigs side by side. Titan Black SLI and 8 core Xeon VS Pentium anniversary and Titan Black.

With my Trevor save game now in the desert things were hard on the Pentium. It stuttered quite badly. Then I took a look at both games, given one was running 4k and the other 1080p. The difference was just amazing. 1080p looked pretty awful really with 4k completely kicking its ass.

So glad I decided to go 4k now. It's literally like an SSD, or broadband compared to dial up.

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 1:30 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Some pic-a-tures!

Riles and I took a spin in a helicopter, and decided to hit the tourist spots.
Attachment:
gta2.jpg

And while I was waiting for other players, I dragged my Sand King to the top of Mount Chiliad.
Attachment:
gta1.jpg

There was meant to be a picture of the view from my new pad too, but that hasn't uploaded yet, for some reason.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 9:59 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

I found the uploading and subsequent downloading of pictures very hit and miss... Still, nice pics.

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 0:29 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Aha, they've appeared now.

Here is the view:

And here's the garage:

This won't fit in the garage (and I can't repaint it to fit the colour scheme - boo):

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 11:44 
Oh nice, you must be earning a bit of money by now Grim..., if you wanna start doing the heists, I could guide you through them so they go easier!

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 20:34 
Filthy Junkie Bitch

9pm pew?

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 23:26 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

I made a race!

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 10:06 
Hello Hello Hello

Finished story mode last night, I'd done a manual save just before triggering Franklin's final mission so was able to return to that to see all three endings (although I understand you can use the Replay Mission feature anyway).

Spoilers just in case anyone else gets round to this game as late as me! :)

ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
So the way I see it is:

KILL TREVOR - This is the 'middle' option, sort of OK if you will. He's clearly a maniac and not a very happy one at that, and you could make the case for putting him down. I still didn't feel at all happy about doing it though - (it didn't seem to pan out too well for Franklin either as the post mortem texts and phone calls make it clear the murder has isolated him, and the FIB simply cut him loose) - there was no way I was going to let that be my 'proper' save going forward to 100% completion - so it was onto....

KILL MICHAEL - This is definitely the 'bad' ending, I would have never done this except to see what happens, and true enough it was pretty horrible, I really felt sorry for Michael (and Franklin!). Even after the initial confrontation and chase, when you get him dangling over the edge of the parapet, it doesn't actually matter if you drop Michael or pull him up, if you pull him up he lands a headbutt on you and drops to his death anyway.

Quite a powerful ending this one, and in the aftermath Trevor disowns Franklin, Amanda says she hopes he rots in hell, Jimmy tells him to get fucked, Lamar keeps his distance, and so on. (If you go back to his safehouse and go to save the game but immediately back out, it winds time forward on six hours, so you can see/hear all the emails/messages/phone calls that follow on from the murder.)

'DEATH WISH' (Kill neither) - I see this as the 'good' ending. I'd decided in advance this was going to be for my 'proper' save so dived in despite the lateness of the hour made a start on it, not expecting it to be quite so involved...

Turns out to be one of the longest and arguably the hardest missions in the game!

After Lester and Franklin's initial despair at the situation, Lester comes up with an idea to get the FIB and Merryweather together at the foundry. Thus commences a massive shootout featuring all three main characters and Lamar, but it gives Michael and Trevor a chance if not exactly to 'bond', at least to be a bit more on the same wavelength.

Following on from that it's loose ends to clear up, so you have to kill Cheng, Baines and Stretch - and then it's onto Devin at his armoured fortress in the hills. One more shootout and a kidnapping later, and you push him into the sea in the boot of his car - cue a final scene where the three characters agree to be flawed friends.

I was much happier with this ending so will indeed use this timeline to push through to 100% completion. Each character is sat on between $42M and $50M, and I still have three Lester assassination missions (which I've deliberately left) to do so will be able to properly clean up on the stock market and basically buy everything on the map :)

71 hours playtime and I'm not done yet on the single player, and have only just got started on the multiplayer. Me and a mate did the 'beginner' heist on Friday which is only a two-player affair but we really enjoyed it, so we'll be doing a four-player as soon as we get chance with a couple of the other chaps.

As for the single player game, definitely right up there with the likes of Borderlands 2, Dishonored and GTAIV in being a game that's just totally blown me away with its awesomeness and had me up past 1am in the morning playing it.

In terms of core gameplay it doesn't massively improve on or change the established GTA template that's been in place since 3, but it's all so slick now, and the gameworld is so incredible, that it really doesn't matter.

Glad I waited for the PC version, I really can't imagine doing the shooty bits without switching to K+M (autoaim helps on the pad of course, but even so....), and I got to see the game in all its amazing glory too, even if it did mean a wait of over 18 months! (By all accounts, apart from the 30/60FPS differential, and the lack of K+M controls, the PS4 version is close to the PC version in overall image fidelity, but the XBone version is visibly cut down from the PS4 version though.)

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 17:25 
Hello Hello Hello

Just walked in on Amanda and she was, errrr, amusing herself with this, complete with distinctive buzzing sound...... :D

'I think we still need some boundaries honey', she said, and threw it across the room!

Finished off all the assassinations now, and all my characters are sat around the $230-250M mark, so combined wealth of over $700M.

I shall commence BUYING THE ENTIRE CITY shortly.

Attachment:
vibro.JPG

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 8:03 
Filthy Junkie Bitch

Grim... And I did our first online heist last night. Much fun, although Lester is getting well annoying now and we should have done the finale in a quarter of the time. Probably shouldn't have had over a bottle of wine before doing something that needs a gentle touch and precision of movement. But enough about my wife. Heists!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 10:28 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

It was properly good fun. Even though what I actually had to do was most dull (point a gun at people to keep them on the floor) the fact that it was all organised and we were having to communicate made it quite tense and fun.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 10:48 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

The heists are brilliant with friends. I've done them all now and they were great.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 10:58 
Hello Hello Hello

Grim... wrote:
It was properly good fun. Even though what I actually had to do was most dull (point a gun at people to keep them on the floor) the fact that it was all organised and we were having to communicate made it quite tense and fun.

Was that the 'beginner' two-man heist where one does the drilling and one does the crowd control?

If so that's the one me and a mate did on Friday and yes it was really good fun :) I was on drilling duty and overheated the drill a couple of times until I got the hang of it (MUCH easier on a pad than with K+M), and my mate was on crowd control.

Rather than simply point the gun at people though, he couldn't resist letting off a few shotgun blasts into the ceiling just to keep them in check....

We're going to do our first four-man heist at the weekend and I fear if anyone's going to go a bit Mr Blonde, it'll be him.....

Wouldn't care to do it with random people, but with mates and voice chat, excellent stuff.

They're basically WoW instances, but in GTA form - PvE content, effectively.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 11:53 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Hearthly wrote:
Rather than simply point the gun at people though, he couldn't resist letting off a few shotgun blasts into the ceiling just to keep them in check....

Oh yeah, Christ, I literally found every destructible in the room. It did take Riley about 17 minutes to do the drilling, though.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 12:16 
Filthy Junkie Bitch

That isn't an exaggeration.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 8:02 
Hello Hello Hello

Bought up everything I could last night, for maximum amusement Trevor bought the golf club for a cool $150M.

I like the way you get an email or a phone call for each property, new dialogue and characters, to hear and see, even 80 hours into the game. (A couple of new strangers and freaks have popped up too.)

Kind of winding down with single player now, will see it out to 100% and then that'll be about it really, but hoping that the online will have some legs in it thereafter.

Definitely one of those 'all time greats' in the game department.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 8:17 

I just want some single player DLC.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 8:45 
Hello Hello Hello

markg wrote:
I just want some single player DLC.

I'd have thought that'd be a no-brainer for Rockstar really, especially since they can sell it to everyone now, 360/PS3 + XBone/PS4 + PC = $$$$CASH$$$$

Then again I thought Battlefield2143 was a total shoe-in for EA since they love money and they could literally just remake 2142 with the Frostbite engine, and they haven't done that yet.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 9:27 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

It's coming. It's just taking a while.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 9:09 
Awesome
Yes

Grim... wrote:
It's coming. It's just taking a while.

Blah blah sex tape.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 10:16 
Bad Girl

This is the best mod I've seen so far. Behold Just Cause grappling hook mod.

http://youtu.be/pr6mOIQ7dPQ

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 23:24 
Hello Hello Hello

That last Triathlon eh? 27 minutes of pushing forward and tapping 'A', Rockstar really do lose their shit sometimes, even today, when they should know better.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 10:10 
Hello Hello Hello

Yay! First proper four-man heist last night. Boo! We didn't complete it....

We did the four setup stages alright (albeit with a few failures), but the final stage we hit a brick wall on, and quite frankly, I'm blaming the other guys.

I was on Demolition and one of the others was Pilot, and we were down with that shit. (Especially after about the tenth attempt.....)

However, the Prisoner and Prison Officer who had to get the guy out of prison couldn't complete their objective, now obviously I couldn't see what they were doing right or wrong but after multiple failures we finally had to call it a night, we'll have another go next week and maybe try different roles.

That's not really the point though, the point is that it was incredibly good fun from start to finish, we were all on our own Teamspeak server so we had voice comms throughout. For one of the trickier setup stages we actually split into two channels so we could co-ordinate more closely with the other guy working on our objective.

Lots of laughs and banter, awesome Saturday night entertainment.

Do be aware that these heists can take some time, we were playing for over two hours and we didn't even manage to finish a single heist, so set aside a decent chunk of time for them if you're n00bs like us.

I'm the guy with the tape wrapped around his head.

Attachment:
rumlot.JPG

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 10:32 
Sleepyhead

I have started playing this.

The 'bullet time' thing whilst driving is awesome.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 13:48 
Curiosity wrote:
I have started playing this.

The 'bullet time' thing whilst driving is awesome.

PS4? PC?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 14:52 
Hello Hello Hello

An EMERGENCY SUNDAY SUMMIT has been organised, we're going to have another crack at the heist that bested us last night, on a Sunday night, which is most unusual as it's a school night so work the next day.

Clearly we're all taking our defeat last night very seriously.

Unfortunately I'll most likely be a bit pissed by 9pm, as Mrs Hearthly and Hearthly Jnr are over at the in-laws for a sleepover, and really, what's going to happen in those circumstances?.....

I'm sure I'll be able to dig my 'A game' out from somewhere though....

Attachment:
beers.JPG

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 14:56 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

@Hearthly I played the part of the prison officer when I did the heists and can confirm... It's bloomin hard!

I'm not surprised you failed because it took me four it five attempts at least.

Reply to topic  [ 1274 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26  Next