Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 1274 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21 ... 26  Next
 Post subject: Re: GTA V - stand aside, pretenders
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 12:52 
UltraMod

Grim... wrote:
Not giving that game 10/10 was a travesty.

It's not quite as good as GTA IV though, so I can see why they didn't.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 13:13 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

MR BIG EYES

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 13:18 
ugvm'er at heart...

American Nervoso wrote:
Grim... wrote:
Not giving that game 10/10 was a travesty.

It's not quite as good as GTA IV though, so I can see why they didn't.

Fuck off

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 13:50 

RuySan wrote:
Zio wrote:
American Nervoso wrote:
It was obviously pushing the hardware to its limits (much like San Andreas did), but it was eminently playable or else I wouldn't have sunk 120 hrs+ into it.

:this:

In the interests of full disclosure, I also played (and finished) it on PS3 and haven't tried the Xbox 360 version.

It's undoubtedly going to be a better experience on PC and on Xbone and PS4, probably a vastly better experience. Smoother, more consistent framerates, increased draw distance (which, to be fair, will likely only be noticeable in the planes and helicopters), better visual effects et al. And there's no question that GTA V taxes the hardware it currently runs on to the absolute limit. But it plays perfectly well. Unless the Xbox 360 version is significantly worse than the PS3 version, which is historically unlikely, this talk that the screen "regularly disintegrated into a jaggy lurching mess" and "the framerate routinely crashed through the floor" is just total fucking nonsense. It might not have run at 60FPS, but it does run consistently smoothly - if not a constant 30FPS then something approaching it. Unless you have the most sensitive eyes and brain on the planet, which going by AE's previous comments regarding console gaming may actually be true in his case, there's no way you could ever legitimately complain about the performance of the game in it's existing incarnations.

Unfortunately they're probably going to push the shinies on the new console versions instead of the framerate. Smoothness just isn't a priority for developers any more.

I was shocked when i watched this total biscuit video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXJh9ut2hrc

Great video, thanks for posting this!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 14:02 
Bad Girl

I couldn't watch that for more than 5 minutes due his awful inflection which sounded to me like he was narrating a cricket match.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 14:10 
Unpossible!

Saturnalian wrote:
I couldn't watch that for more than 5 minutes due his awful inflection which sounded to me like he was narrating a cricket match.

This.

Some odd version of geordie.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 14:11 
Master of dodgy spelling....

I have only played this for 2 hours... i need to find time

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 14:15 
Excellent Member

Saturnalian wrote:

I really don't know what you're talking about, but what do I know about that?. I really enjoy his pronunciation and can understand each word clearly, which for me as a non English speaker is something that I don't find that often and value a lot.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 14:34 
Hello Hello Hello

RuySan wrote:
Unfortunately they're probably going to push the shinies on the new console versions instead of the framerate. Smoothness just isn't a priority for developers any more.

I was shocked when i watched this total biscuit video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXJh9ut2hrc

It does look that way, yes, which is why I started this thread a few months ago, because I really did expect 1080@60 to be the baseline for XBoner/PS4 - viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9819

That TotalBiscuit video is pretty good (he also explains what I've tried to about five zillion times as to the difference between 24FPS on film and 60FPS in videogames, and why 30FPS isn't as good as 60FPS for fluidity and input response), useful link here too http://30vs60.com/

However, I wouldn't say smoothness isn't a priority for all developers, Nintendo appear to be ruthlessly targeting 720p@60 for all their Wii U titles, which is one of the reasons I've got a Wii U sat under my telly and have bought three first party Nintendo games for it, all of which run at 720@60.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digit ... o-3d-world

Quote:
All of these features would be for nothing if the performance wasn't there, of course. Mario titles demand precision and a quick response that call for a solid 60 frames per second update. More so than most games aiming for this goal, EAD has managed to deliver a 100 per cent consistent update. Every moment of the game, every menu transition, and every element of the user interface all operate at 60fps without a single hitch. Shooting for 60fps is no small task and requires cooperation from the entire team throughout the development cycle, but Nintendo takes it further by taking a zero-tolerance approach to frame-rate dips.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:01 
Bad Girl

Latest update is apparently roller coaster rides?

http://m.imgur.com/cuI4lWI

(Nicked from reddit, but apparently it's right)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:18 
Sleepyhead

And Ms Lohan suing them.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 12:27 
Bad Girl

Some great skydiving videos on 'ere.

http://www.vg247.com/2014/12/12/watch-s ... st-person/

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 20:55 
Excellent Member

As with The Last Of Us I realise I'm on the wrong side of popular opinion here but: I'm really, really fucking bored. I've played as far as the setup for the first heist (so not very far I realise) and I'm just not even slightly interested in it. Too much of it's just driving mindlessly from one place to the next. I just tried to rob the van that's carrying <mcguffin> that I need for the heist I've no real idea how to do it and neither do I give a shit. Is it worth persevering here, or do I just not like GTA games (something I've long suspected after giving GTA 3 a go and the reason I haven't tried one properly until now)?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 21:09 
Bad Girl

Just give up gaming.

(Actually I got bored on occasion. But then I'd turn it off and come back when I was feeling more chipper; get in a car and turn on one of the hip hop channels (preferably playing some NWA) and bust around the glorious setting shooting up mofo's and doing the odd mission)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 18:47 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

PC launch delayed again :'(

14th April now.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015- ... -yet-again

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 20:06 
Hello Hello Hello

No biggy, as long as it's right at launch a bit of an extra wait is neither here nor there. (I mean, it was 18 months or more until GTA4 was licked into a reasonable shape on PC and indeed the PC to run it properly actually existed, so a rush release of GTA5 isn't in anyone's interest.)

I'm really looking forward to the game so the delay is a bit of a bummer of course, but there are lots of other games to play in the meantime :)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 17:38 
Heists are out and working! Anyone want to play some? PS4!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 14:23 
ugvm'er at heart...

The internet goes crazy as patch 1.08 ruins GTAV by downgrading all the graphics!

Is it just me, or is there not really much of a difference at all?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 14:41 
Excellent Member

With the collisions thing it looks like they've just turned down the amount of damage each one does, though that seems like a weird decision to make. The parallax occlusion comparison is really obvious on the train tracks and from then you can see that everything looks much more like a flat texture that's been wrapped around something and much less like an actual 3D bit of ground or whatever. The other two just make everything look a lot fuzzier in general. Would you actually notice any of this playing? Hard to say, but assuming the footage is genuine they have definitely 'downgraded' some aspects there.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 14:55 
Hello Hello Hello

Definitely looks downgraded to me, quite a few references to it if you have a Google around, by all accounts they're trying to even out the framerate as it can still take some nasty dips in certain situations (so says Google).

Would have made more sense to me to give players the choice, just have two settings, 'high fidelity' and 'high performance'.

I'm still waiting patiently for the PC version. Waiting for PC versions of Rockstar games is a very good way to develop almost zen-like levels of patience.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 23:32 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Well, this will please AE.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 0:41 
Hello Hello Hello

The final kicker on this one of course may well be that my stalwart but ageing PC will splutter out on GTAV and I'll end up dropping £1500 on a new PC just to play this fucking game.

Then again, I've been looking for a decent excuse to buy a whole new PC for fucking ages now, so maybe it's for the best.

Or it could well be that my current PC will run it just fine, it depends how much of a performance increase from the XBone/PS4 you need to crank it out to 60FPS and 2560x1440. (I suspect I may well get away with just a new graphics card, as Intel's latest CPUs are still basically just iterations of the original Bloomfield architecture, of which my i7-920 is one of the of the original examples of, and mine is cheerfully running at 3.4GHz and has been for years, which isn't too far off what the new ones run at.)

One thing that's for sure though is there'll no way I'll find room for it on my rammed 128GB SSD, so I'll either have to run it from one of my hard drives (hiss spit), or get a bigger SSD to go with the new graphics card.

Meh, and then you're just into new PC territory really, aren't you? Lol.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 15:52 
Hello Hello Hello

The PC release on the 14th April seems to be sticking this time, £39.99 is the pre-purchase price on Steam which apparently snags you $1.35M of the ingame currency, is that a lot and do I really care about it?

Since I'll inevitably end up buying it anyway (even if it does take a new PC to heft it around properly), I guess I may as well pre-purchase and get the free money.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 12:12 
In the main story 1.35 won't make THAT much of a difference, you'll be able to get more ammo as as far as I can remember the weapons unlock at certain times during the game. Online it will enable you to buy a high end apartment which once you reach level 12 will enable you do to heists and then get new cars and whatnot. The armoured car that everyone haves is available after the first heist, and it's basically a must for online gaming as that way you won't get shot to shit so quickly. But you won't be able to buy better guns and stuff until you level up. I've managed to save up just under 3mil right now which will let me buy a harrier jet, which will probably get shot down as soon as I go and play with it.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 12:17 
Excellent Member

I played the entire campaign without caring about money; I did the stock trading stuff so one of my characters had shitloads of cash but I never actually bought anything outside the stuff that was totally required for certain missions.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 12:24 
You only really need it online for nice cars, guns and flying stuff.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 12:46 
Decapodian

My PC is an i7 with plenty of RAM and a GTX660 (OEM so slightly lower clock and RAM than retail). I assume this will still be better than the PS4 version?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 13:05 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

Dr Zoidberg wrote:
My PC is an i7 with plenty of RAM and a GTX660 (OEM so slightly lower clock and RAM than retail). I assume this will still be better than the PS4 version?

It depends who you ask. ;)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 13:32 
Decapodian

I'll get whichever comes up cheap then.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 13:35 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Assuming you're as happy to play on your PC as your PS4 (with regards to the screen it's plugged into and the controllers, etc), it's almost certainly going to be the best platform (not only in terms of performance but also in mods down the line).

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 13:46 
Decapodian

They both go into the same 42" screen and speakers, so display equipment isn't an issue.
Ta.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 23:54 
Bad Girl

What are the odds. Nicked from Reddit but it made me laugh.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 7:56 
Terrible Human Being

PC GAMING IS SUPERIOR https://support.rockstargames.com/hc/en ... Characters

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 9:26 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

I know, right?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 10:26 
Terrible Human Being

Apart from that weird bug and the other one where it gets upset if you don't have Windows Media Player installed, it's been solid for the amount of time I've played it so far.

Of course the time I've actually spent playing so far is nothing next to the time I've spent playing with the graphics options because everyone knows that's the whole point.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 18:39 
Hello Hello Hello

<<<< PC NERD POST SO FEEL FREE TO IGNORE ACCORDINGLY >>>>

Interesting early reports from Eurogamer regarding the PC version of the game, which seems to have come out of the gates well-optimised and running really well on even modest hardware. (Completely unlike GTAIV.)

Their initial tests suggest that a cheap gaming PC based on an i3 processor and a 650Ti can run the game at PS4 quality levels but churn out nearly 60FPS as opposed to 30FPS.

Quote:
The GTX 750 Ti paired with the i3-3410 is a real success, for example - a combo that forms part of a circa-£300 PC, where 1080p60 at high settings is very doable.

And it all scales very nicely out from there, meaning that even with a midrange PC (any quad core i5 or better, and a graphics card in the £130-£150 range, total system cost in the £500 range), you can lock in at a v-synced 60FPS and start to get the sliders out to well beyond console fidelity settings.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digit ... erformance

So from my perspective, even with my ageing i7 (seven years old this year!) and not exactly cutting-edge GTX670, I should be able to max the game out at 1080P@60FPS, but I suspect my monitor's native res of 1440P might be pushing it a bit.

Not that I've bought the game yet likes, as I'm not really sure when I'd play it, since Hearthly Jnr is around all the time and it's not suitable to have on when she's around (plus we tend to play WoW together a lot), and once she's gone upstairs I usually watch a film or series.

Plus, y'know, Hearthstone.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 19:17 
Rude Belittler

Cunt.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 21:10 
Hello Hello Hello

Pundabaya wrote:
Cunt.

:kiss:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 23:57 
Hello Hello Hello

I'm not sure if this is cool or a bit scary.

GTAV played using.....

Quote:
The player's head movements are tracked in real time by the Oculus Rift, as the character runs around via directions from the Virtuix Omni treadmill.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 12:03 
Terrible Human Being

The editor is great fun

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 12:34 
Prince of Fops

MrPSB wrote:
The editor is great fun

that's great. How does it work? Do you just record yourself doing something then jump into a video editor? Or can you build stuff too?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 12:41 
Terrible Human Being

Yeah you record yourself doing stuff then edit it. You can also set up things like weather or the character you're controlling using Director Mode (which also gives you options like invincibility and explosive melee), but you have to work out something interesting to do in the world as it stands at the moment, you can't do something like specially set up a load of cars and do a stunt jump or anything.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 12:51 
Bad Girl

MrPSB wrote:
The editor is great fun

That was fucking terrifying.

Up to the hammer to the head you'd have swore it was from a film.

Oh, and the slap was amazing! GTAV is something else.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 12:58 
Terrible Human Being

Saturnalian wrote:

That was fucking terrifying.

Up to the hammer to the head you'd have swore it was from a film.

Oh, and the slap was amazing! GTAV is something else.

You really begin to appreciate the amount of detail that's been put into the game when you start putting things in slow motion and moving the camera around freely.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 18:02 
Hello Hello Hello

Face-off is now up at Eurogamer, and the immediate takeaway from it is that the PS4/XBoner hold up very well against the PC.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digit ... c-face-off

Watching the video bears out what the article says, in that the only obvious compromises are vehicle and pedestrian density (although not by more than 25%), draw distances (foliage for example), shadows, and anisotropic filtering - other than that they're pretty much a match.

There is of course the fact it's fairly easy to attain a pretty solid 60FPS on a relatively modest PC, but if you're not a 60FPS whore then that may be of little interest. (Eurogamer recommend locking at 30FPS on a PC that can't maintain 60FPS, as the GTA games are not and never have been twitchy FPS style shooters, so a consistent 30FPS could be preferable to an inconsistent 40-60FPS.)

I've managed to resist this game up to now but I'll probably cave soon, it also allows the holy grail of using the pad for driving/flight, and seamlessly switching to K+M for on-foot sections, right down to changing the onscreen tooltips depending on where the inputs are currently coming from.

All that said though, outside of the 60/30FPS differential, the console versions are very close to the maxed out PC version at 1080P - but you do then get the option on PC to scale out all the way to 4K if you've got the kit to run the game at that resolution. (I most certainly don't....)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 19:29 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

I also was impressed by the console's showing in the video. The only things I really noticed were some improved shadow effects on the PC.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 19:38 
ugvm'er at heart...

Grim... wrote:
I also was impressed by the console's showing in the video. The only things I really noticed were some improved shadow effects on the PC.

Open your eyes man! His shirt is a totally different colour!

Blue shirt console losers! Green shirt FTW!!!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 8:19 
Awesome
Yes

Trooper wrote:
Grim... wrote:

Open your eyes man! His shirt is a totally different colour!

Blue shirt console losers! Green shirt FTW!!!

It was white and gold actually.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 14:18 
La Bamba

Have been playing this @ 4k with SLI Titan Black and it's epic. Have got it at full settings with 2XMSAA (though tbh I'm not even sure I need it at this res) and it chugs along gloriously. lowest I've seen is 38 FPS usually in the mid 40s. Experience has been super smooth given I run Gsync on an Acer 4k2k.

Have never really played a GTA title. I usually just did what I had to do to get to the city then just spent endless hours having free roaming fun. This time though I actually want to play the missions which is a first for me.

Top stuff. The cars also handle a shit ton better than they have in any of the others either. I think this could topple GTA San An as my fave.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 16:50 
Hello Hello Hello

Wouldn't you rather twiddle with the settings a bit to target 60FPS? Losing MSAA would be a no-brainer at 4K for starters IMO (although not sure what the overhead is for it at 2x with SLI-ed Blacks :D, might be nothing!). I know Gsync will help a lot for the smoothness but with that power on-tap I'd be looking for 60FPS for sure.

I've come very close to hitting the BUY button on Steam a few times now, the £39.99 doesn't faze me but it's just when I'd get to play it, what with my Hearthstone obsession, the fact I couldn't play it when Hearthly Jnr is around (which is most of the time), and I'm getting back into MK8 on the Wii-U too.

I'll deffo get around to it some point, and I'm interested to see how my current PC (which is properly cracking on a bit now) will run it.

Reply to topic  [ 1274 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21 ... 26  Next