Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 1274 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26  Next
 Post subject: Re: GTA V - stand aside, pretenders
PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 10:06 
Hello Hello Hello

Finished story mode last night, I'd done a manual save just before triggering Franklin's final mission so was able to return to that to see all three endings (although I understand you can use the Replay Mission feature anyway).

Spoilers just in case anyone else gets round to this game as late as me! :)

ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
So the way I see it is:

KILL TREVOR - This is the 'middle' option, sort of OK if you will. He's clearly a maniac and not a very happy one at that, and you could make the case for putting him down. I still didn't feel at all happy about doing it though - (it didn't seem to pan out too well for Franklin either as the post mortem texts and phone calls make it clear the murder has isolated him, and the FIB simply cut him loose) - there was no way I was going to let that be my 'proper' save going forward to 100% completion - so it was onto....

KILL MICHAEL - This is definitely the 'bad' ending, I would have never done this except to see what happens, and true enough it was pretty horrible, I really felt sorry for Michael (and Franklin!). Even after the initial confrontation and chase, when you get him dangling over the edge of the parapet, it doesn't actually matter if you drop Michael or pull him up, if you pull him up he lands a headbutt on you and drops to his death anyway.

Quite a powerful ending this one, and in the aftermath Trevor disowns Franklin, Amanda says she hopes he rots in hell, Jimmy tells him to get fucked, Lamar keeps his distance, and so on. (If you go back to his safehouse and go to save the game but immediately back out, it winds time forward on six hours, so you can see/hear all the emails/messages/phone calls that follow on from the murder.)

'DEATH WISH' (Kill neither) - I see this as the 'good' ending. I'd decided in advance this was going to be for my 'proper' save so dived in despite the lateness of the hour made a start on it, not expecting it to be quite so involved...

Turns out to be one of the longest and arguably the hardest missions in the game!

After Lester and Franklin's initial despair at the situation, Lester comes up with an idea to get the FIB and Merryweather together at the foundry. Thus commences a massive shootout featuring all three main characters and Lamar, but it gives Michael and Trevor a chance if not exactly to 'bond', at least to be a bit more on the same wavelength.

Following on from that it's loose ends to clear up, so you have to kill Cheng, Baines and Stretch - and then it's onto Devin at his armoured fortress in the hills. One more shootout and a kidnapping later, and you push him into the sea in the boot of his car - cue a final scene where the three characters agree to be flawed friends.

I was much happier with this ending so will indeed use this timeline to push through to 100% completion. Each character is sat on between $42M and $50M, and I still have three Lester assassination missions (which I've deliberately left) to do so will be able to properly clean up on the stock market and basically buy everything on the map :)

71 hours playtime and I'm not done yet on the single player, and have only just got started on the multiplayer. Me and a mate did the 'beginner' heist on Friday which is only a two-player affair but we really enjoyed it, so we'll be doing a four-player as soon as we get chance with a couple of the other chaps.

As for the single player game, definitely right up there with the likes of Borderlands 2, Dishonored and GTAIV in being a game that's just totally blown me away with its awesomeness and had me up past 1am in the morning playing it.

In terms of core gameplay it doesn't massively improve on or change the established GTA template that's been in place since 3, but it's all so slick now, and the gameworld is so incredible, that it really doesn't matter.

Glad I waited for the PC version, I really can't imagine doing the shooty bits without switching to K+M (autoaim helps on the pad of course, but even so....), and I got to see the game in all its amazing glory too, even if it did mean a wait of over 18 months! (By all accounts, apart from the 30/60FPS differential, and the lack of K+M controls, the PS4 version is close to the PC version in overall image fidelity, but the XBone version is visibly cut down from the PS4 version though.)

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 17:25 
Hello Hello Hello

Just walked in on Amanda and she was, errrr, amusing herself with this, complete with distinctive buzzing sound...... :D

'I think we still need some boundaries honey', she said, and threw it across the room!

Finished off all the assassinations now, and all my characters are sat around the $230-250M mark, so combined wealth of over $700M.

I shall commence BUYING THE ENTIRE CITY shortly.

Attachment:
vibro.JPG

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 8:03 
Filthy Junkie Bitch

Grim... And I did our first online heist last night. Much fun, although Lester is getting well annoying now and we should have done the finale in a quarter of the time. Probably shouldn't have had over a bottle of wine before doing something that needs a gentle touch and precision of movement. But enough about my wife. Heists!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 10:28 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

It was properly good fun. Even though what I actually had to do was most dull (point a gun at people to keep them on the floor) the fact that it was all organised and we were having to communicate made it quite tense and fun.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 10:48 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

The heists are brilliant with friends. I've done them all now and they were great.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 10:58 
Hello Hello Hello

Grim... wrote:
It was properly good fun. Even though what I actually had to do was most dull (point a gun at people to keep them on the floor) the fact that it was all organised and we were having to communicate made it quite tense and fun.

Was that the 'beginner' two-man heist where one does the drilling and one does the crowd control?

If so that's the one me and a mate did on Friday and yes it was really good fun :) I was on drilling duty and overheated the drill a couple of times until I got the hang of it (MUCH easier on a pad than with K+M), and my mate was on crowd control.

Rather than simply point the gun at people though, he couldn't resist letting off a few shotgun blasts into the ceiling just to keep them in check....

We're going to do our first four-man heist at the weekend and I fear if anyone's going to go a bit Mr Blonde, it'll be him.....

Wouldn't care to do it with random people, but with mates and voice chat, excellent stuff.

They're basically WoW instances, but in GTA form - PvE content, effectively.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 11:53 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Hearthly wrote:
Rather than simply point the gun at people though, he couldn't resist letting off a few shotgun blasts into the ceiling just to keep them in check....

Oh yeah, Christ, I literally found every destructible in the room. It did take Riley about 17 minutes to do the drilling, though.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 12:16 
Filthy Junkie Bitch

That isn't an exaggeration.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 8:02 
Hello Hello Hello

Bought up everything I could last night, for maximum amusement Trevor bought the golf club for a cool $150M.

I like the way you get an email or a phone call for each property, new dialogue and characters, to hear and see, even 80 hours into the game. (A couple of new strangers and freaks have popped up too.)

Kind of winding down with single player now, will see it out to 100% and then that'll be about it really, but hoping that the online will have some legs in it thereafter.

Definitely one of those 'all time greats' in the game department.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 8:17 

I just want some single player DLC.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 8:45 
Hello Hello Hello

markg wrote:
I just want some single player DLC.

I'd have thought that'd be a no-brainer for Rockstar really, especially since they can sell it to everyone now, 360/PS3 + XBone/PS4 + PC = $$$$CASH$$$$

Then again I thought Battlefield2143 was a total shoe-in for EA since they love money and they could literally just remake 2142 with the Frostbite engine, and they haven't done that yet.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 9:27 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

It's coming. It's just taking a while.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 9:09 
Awesome
Yes

Grim... wrote:
It's coming. It's just taking a while.

Blah blah sex tape.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 10:16 
Bad Girl

This is the best mod I've seen so far. Behold Just Cause grappling hook mod.

http://youtu.be/pr6mOIQ7dPQ

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 23:24 
Hello Hello Hello

That last Triathlon eh? 27 minutes of pushing forward and tapping 'A', Rockstar really do lose their shit sometimes, even today, when they should know better.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 10:10 
Hello Hello Hello

Yay! First proper four-man heist last night. Boo! We didn't complete it....

We did the four setup stages alright (albeit with a few failures), but the final stage we hit a brick wall on, and quite frankly, I'm blaming the other guys.

I was on Demolition and one of the others was Pilot, and we were down with that shit. (Especially after about the tenth attempt.....)

However, the Prisoner and Prison Officer who had to get the guy out of prison couldn't complete their objective, now obviously I couldn't see what they were doing right or wrong but after multiple failures we finally had to call it a night, we'll have another go next week and maybe try different roles.

That's not really the point though, the point is that it was incredibly good fun from start to finish, we were all on our own Teamspeak server so we had voice comms throughout. For one of the trickier setup stages we actually split into two channels so we could co-ordinate more closely with the other guy working on our objective.

Lots of laughs and banter, awesome Saturday night entertainment.

Do be aware that these heists can take some time, we were playing for over two hours and we didn't even manage to finish a single heist, so set aside a decent chunk of time for them if you're n00bs like us.

I'm the guy with the tape wrapped around his head.

Attachment:
rumlot.JPG

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 10:32 
Sleepyhead

I have started playing this.

The 'bullet time' thing whilst driving is awesome.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 13:48 
Curiosity wrote:

PS4? PC?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 14:52 
Hello Hello Hello

An EMERGENCY SUNDAY SUMMIT has been organised, we're going to have another crack at the heist that bested us last night, on a Sunday night, which is most unusual as it's a school night so work the next day.

Clearly we're all taking our defeat last night very seriously.

Unfortunately I'll most likely be a bit pissed by 9pm, as Mrs Hearthly and Hearthly Jnr are over at the in-laws for a sleepover, and really, what's going to happen in those circumstances?.....

I'm sure I'll be able to dig my 'A game' out from somewhere though....

Attachment:
beers.JPG

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 14:56 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

@Hearthly I played the part of the prison officer when I did the heists and can confirm... It's bloomin hard!

I'm not surprised you failed because it took me four it five attempts at least.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 16:05 
Make sure you stock up on armour. The prison officer can drop a gun for the prisoner if they do it outside the prison. So both have decent guns. The pilot can just fly behind the jet so that the demolitions can flow low and help out in the prison.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 16:07 
Hello Hello Hello

TheVision wrote:
@Hearthly I played the part of the prison officer when I did the heists and can confirm... It's bloomin hard!

I'm not surprised you failed because it took me four it five attempts at least.

Well we'll probably switch the roles around tonight, so me and the guy who were Demolition/Pilot will go Prison Officer/Prisoner, and the poor chaps who got lumped with the hard stuff last night can chill a bit on Demo/Pilot.

Depends what their mood is though, they might fancy another crack at getting it down as they were learning from their mistakes last night and getting better at it (to a point, when the beer started winning :D), where as me and the pilot haven't even seen it from that perspective yet.

Just have to see how it goes I suppose :)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 16:38 
Sleepyhead

nickachu wrote:
Curiosity wrote:

PS4? PC?

PS4.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 16:52 
Curiosity wrote:
nickachu wrote:
Curiosity wrote:

PS4? PC?

PS4.

Yay! Be my fwend! nickachu__

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 17:38 
Sleepyhead

Is that two underscores?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 17:43 
Yes yes it is.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 10:53 
Hello Hello Hello

So after another two hours on this last night we finally 'completed' the prison break heist. (And by 'completed' I mean, well, as per below.....)

The Prison Officer/Prisoner chaps were having the trouble again with several failures, but once they managed to get out of the prison we one-shotted it although it was a pretty frenetic affair. The aeroplane took a fair bit of damage in the tussle at the airfield and was emitting a lot of black smoke in the air, the pilot said it was constantly losing power!

But in the end we managed to lose our wanted rating and fly to the rendezvous point - JOB DONE! Tremendously exciting stuff!

And then, just as the cutscene started playing for the end of the heist, one of the guys crashed out of the game, left the heist, AND WE ALL GOT A FAILURE SCREEN, NO FUCKING MONEY, NOTHING!

We are going to try it AGAIN tonight......

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 11:04 
Sleepyhead

Did a few missions last night, and now have Franklin and Michael being all friendly.

Really good fun just zooming around in cars and occasionally stopping to commit some violence :D

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 11:29 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

@Hearthly That reminds me... It crashed on one of my friends too! Around the same bit if I remember? Strange.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 21:49 
Hello Hello Hello

Yay! Tried it again tonight and we one-shotted it :)

The guys in the prison weren't exactly finding it easy but the MANY HOURS of practice they'd put in paid off and they managed the extraction without losing a life, thereafter the subsequent events went smoother as well as me (Demo) and the Pilot chap had seen it once before.

A handsome pay-off and we'll move onto the next heist on Saturday.

As we were over five hours invested in that single heist by the time we completed it, a bit of an unwind with a couple of more straightforward missions and races was very much in order afterwards, with a sensible finish time as it's a school night and not all of us are off work for TT race week...... (Me. I'm not off for TT week, in work as usual tomorrow.)

Never been even remotely interested in GTA multiplayer content before (so honestly can't say if GTA4 had stuff like this), but we're all loving the GTA5 multiplayer so it should have some proper legs in it.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 14:04 
Excellent Member

Real life GTA V:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 14:49 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Corridor Digital are getting much better.

You might well like Dubstep Guns, Bamba: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hDlif8Km4S4

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 14:56 
Excellent Member

Heh, yeah, I've seen that before. Didn't realise it was the same guys.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 10:20 
Sleepyhead

This is so much fun online with friends.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 10:28 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

What about with Riles and I, though?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 10:31 
Sleepyhead

Grim... wrote:
What about with Riles and I, though?

That was okay too.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 10:49 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

So, here's what happened last night.

Curio joins and sets up his character, while Riles is wandering around his apartment trying to find his heist room. During this time he's not inviting me into his apartment, so I'm caught up in the gang war outside. Monster Trucks are not as helpful in this situation as you'd think. Unrealistic.

Curio finally sorts his character and Riles finally finds his heist room and invites us in. We wait for a rando and no-one joins in. Fuxache.

I randomly pick a 1-4 player mission - "kills some dudes in different locations in this order". No worries.

I think it took seven tries (which is a lot). On the sixth try I blew a shit-load of cash hiring a fucking helicopter to provide backup, who shot a grand total of three people. We just couldn't fucking complete this mission, but every time we played we were pissing ourselves at just how shit we were being. Higlights included:
  • Riles forgetting to buy ammo, and spending the entire mission driving to Ammo-nation to stock up
  • Sticky bombing the car we were in
  • Sticky bombing the car with the baddy in, and then driving into car, thus detonating said bomb
  • Sticky bombing the car with the baddy in, and then driving into car, causing a crash we couldn't extract ourselves from so the bad guys just shot us
  • Riles failing to climb over a hedge again and again and again
  • Being more interested in finding cool cars to drive to the next checkpoint in rather than actually driving to the next checkpoint on time
  • Curio only having a pistol
  • Curio determinedly executing everyone we stole a car from and then giggling about it each time. No wait, that was more "scary" than "highlight"

The thing is, Curio still hasn't even done the best thing you can do in GTA online, which is all grouping up, deciding to "head to the beach to look at chicks" or something, and then spending three hours dicking around achieving nothing.

It's fucking brilliant.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 10:54 
Bad Girl

Grim... wrote:
deciding to "head to the beach to look at chicks"

Goddamn it, I felt a twang of "WANT" when I read that.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 10:55 
Filthy Junkie Bitch

You missed out:

- Grim... shouting at me to catch up as the bad guys were getting away, me therefore slipstreaming a sportscar (me using in a fucking Prius) along the highway, slingshotting past the Grim... and Curio car which had curiously stopped, then driving between the two bad guys just as the sticky bombs (that I didn't know had been thrown) are detonated, so that my drive up the onramp looked, to all intents and purposes, like the video to 'Take My breath away'

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 10:57 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

:DD

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 10:59 
Filthy Junkie Bitch

Also:

Grim... - "Riles, your approach to sticky bombs is like Crasters approach to strippers"

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 11:03 
Bad Girl

No, it's gone all cleeeeeeeq-y. I'm out again.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 11:05 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Saturnalian wrote:

There are ambulances to chase, if that helps?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 11:06 
Gogmagog

I want this, but won't have time to play it. :(

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 11:08 
Bad Girl

Grim... wrote:
Saturnalian wrote:

There are ambulances to chase, if that helps?

Hah! I'm in the cleeeeeeeq. Ok, I'm back in.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 12:12 
Sleepyhead

Also, as I had not played before I spent no time on my character, so was playing as an old woman.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 12:15 
Sleepyhead

Also:

- As I had no decent guns, I just found a car, ran bad people over, escaped and then came back again. This was particularly effective the time that Grim and Riles were trying to sneak up on the gang.

- With Grim dead, it was up to Riles and me to lead us to glory. He was driving, but kinda of messed up the drive-by, instead actually parking next to the gang members, who promptly killed us.

- Grim finally killed the head honcho by hiding behind a crate and throwing a bomb underarm, backwards, about forty feet, through an open window, into the room he was hiding in.

It's like Burnout Paradise meets Just Cause.

:DD

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 12:21 
Filthy Junkie Bitch

Curiosity wrote:
Also, as I had not played before I spent no time on my character, so was playing as an old woman.

And you will be forever more, as you can't change it.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 13:40 
Hello Hello Hello

It's the 'emergent gameplay' (as that chap from the Elite video calls it) that really makes this game. Even when you're doing the same mission or heist, the way it'll all play out is always unique.

If you look at the mechanics, the nuts and bolts as it were, of the missions/heists/etc, they're not actually that amazing - but it's the fact everything takes place in the living, breathing, GTA5 world along with other real humans that makes it all so compelling.

We're dreadful for fucking around, quite often we literally have to do nothing other than get the four of us from one part of the map to another to start the next bit of the heist, or begin the mission, or whatever. Four of us could get in the same car, one of us drives, job done.

But no, almost without fail at least one of us will opt for a different vehicle, an unofficial race will unfold, someone won't be able to resist trying to shoot out someone's else's tyres, (or an argument over what to have on the radio will get a bit heated), then the police take an interest.... Quite often by the time we get to where we're supposed to be going someone will have died, everyone else will have lost their body armour and be half dead, our vehicles will be fucked and we'll be low on ammo.

There are five of us into the game so we can usually get four of us on twice a week (one of the five generally can't make it for some reason), usual format is maybe 90-120 minutes of proper play (heist progression) and then an hour or so of less disciplined stuff like missions.

For the heists having four friends working together with voice comms is definitely the way to go, everything else can work well enough with randoms.

For my money GTA Online is like a whole extra game chucked in for free. GTA5 is a fantastic single player experience and I recommend it to anyone on that basis alone, but GTA Online is a very different experience, not necessarily 'better' but very worthy of a serious investment of time.

It's one of those games where I'm always looking forward to our multiplayer sessions, there are games in the past where sometimes it's started to feel a bit like a 'duty' (WoW could be like that) - but GTA5 is always joyous.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 14:00 
Filthy Junkie Bitch

Yep, most games are nothing fundamentally different to Burnout, missions are no different to a co-op level, Heists are just missions tacked together. Still brilliant. Lester can get to fuck though.

Curiosity and Gaywood need to Heist up so that we can get a team of four (inexperienced) players together to start the Heists proper. Nickachu offered to be a fourth player and show us how its done but we concluded that would ruin it for virgins.

Reply to topic  [ 1274 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26  Next