Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 694 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 14  Next
 Post subject: Re: Being Nice about Rev Stu thread
PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 9:47 
Gogmagog

BertyBasset wrote:
Stu set this up yesterday :

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/a-sm ... ity#/story

That's a nice thing isn't it ?

That sort of thing sits uncomfortably with me. Mainly, because it appears to forward the notion that there are some criminal acts that are acceptable under certain circumstances (leading to the not unreasonable proposition of "Is it a crime to draw lots to kill and eat your shipmate if you are adrift at sea?"), and that can then become certain rules for certain people and you've moved the goalposts around for some not others.

The publicity he has garnered has been a success, at least.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 9:52 
Ticket to Ride World Champion

Grim... wrote:
Fear not, your ruthless moderators are on the case!

But we're not going to do anything ;)

Wouldn't expect or want you to.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 10:54 
Hello Hello Hello

MaliA wrote:
That sort of thing sits uncomfortably with me. Mainly, because it appears to forward the notion that there are some criminal acts that are acceptable under certain circumstances

I'd say it's a given that some criminal acts are acceptable under certain circumstances, the statute books are plagued by what are clearly bad laws that I don't believe people have any particular obligation to obey 'just because it says so'.

In fact, the lives of normal people are only as comfortable as they are these days, and we only enjoy the rights that we do, because the generations before us openly and necessarily violated the laws of the time.

Unlawful protest and/or behaviour is a must sometimes.

In this woman's case I'd say she didn't do anything wrong in stealing 75p's worth of Mars bars.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 10:57 
Gogmagog

Hearthly wrote:
MaliA wrote:
That sort of thing sits uncomfortably with me. Mainly, because it appears to forward the notion that there are some criminal acts that are acceptable under certain circumstances

I'd say it's a given that some criminal acts are acceptable under certain circumstances, the statute books are plagued by what are clearly bad laws that I don't believe people have any particular obligation to obey 'just because it says so'.

In fact, the lives of normal people are only as comfortable as they are these days, and we only enjoy the rights that we do, because the generations before us openly and necessarily violated the laws of the time.

Unlawful protest and/or behaviour is a must sometimes.

In this woman's case I'd say she didn't do anything wrong in stealing 75p's worth of Mars bars.

Where would you draw the line? Both in value of goods pilfered, and circumstances. £5 as you're waiting for payday? £10 just until the end of the month?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 11:02 
UltraMod

MaliA wrote:
BertyBasset wrote:

That sort of thing sits uncomfortably with me.

I'm sure it does. You can afford to sit and ponder on it from a purely academic point of view. Others are not so lucky.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 11:09 
Hello Hello Hello

MaliA wrote:
Where would you draw the line? Both in value of goods pilfered, and circumstances. £5 as you're waiting for payday? £10 just until the end of the month?

I think it should be dealt with on a case-by-case basis, which is sort of what we have judges and magistrates for, really.

In this case there was a desperate and hungry human being who stole a small amount of chocolate so she had something to eat.

In an ideal world the case would have been dismissed.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 11:59 

Personally I think there are circumstances where theft is entirely morally justified, as indeed on this occasion. There must be an asymptote whereby a differential between have and have not, in a civilised society cannot be exceeded, otherwise rule of law - an abstract construct requiring and dependent on universal buy in afterall - must break down. Revolutions happen for a reason and history shows many of these have been necessary, and justified.

This woman has to eat. If you take away completely all her income and therefore access to any resources what are her options left to feed herself? Prostitution? Begging in the street? Theft? To my mind it is absurd to use any sanction, for any reason, that is tantamount to giving someone precisely no choice but to commit crime to survive; it is nothing less than a create-a-crime incitement on the part of the State.

Some years ago, the cops rigged up a flash car, deliberately left all the doors open and parked it under surveillance in rough parts of town, like some 'steal me' advert. The people they nicked got off though because the magistrate ruled create-a-crime was itself unlawful, rightly so.

All things considered this woman's actions were very moderate IMO, and the convicting court a bunch of inhuman, unthinking and impractical dicks. As for Stu, fair play to him as I've said directly on his blog, and have donated.

There are red lines here and they've surely been crossed.

Dr Lave wrote:
Of course, he's normally wrong but interestingly wrong :p

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 12:04 
Hello Hello Hello

Good post Cavey, and I also learned a new word - asymptote!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 12:09 

Hearthly wrote:
Good post Cavey, and I also learned a new word - asymptote!

Hey man, I have my uses! Once an engineer always an engineer. :)

Serious matter, though, makes you think and start to really question everything, really.

Dr Lave wrote:
Of course, he's normally wrong but interestingly wrong :p

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 15:01 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Hearthly wrote:
In an ideal world the case would have been dismissed.

Your ideal world has low standards ;)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 15:45 

He said it was necessary, not sufficient.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 23:03 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 8:51 
Awesome
Yes

Why did she get sanctioned?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 9:01 
Sleepyhead

Mr Russell wrote:
Why did she get sanctioned?

Shoplifting

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 9:59 

The good Reverend, doing God's work: http://m.bathchronicle.co.uk/Mars-Bar/s ... story.html

I think it IS a great thing, and if you gave a knack for drumming up support and publicity, this is one way of putting those skills to good use.

Yes, nobody has mentioned why her benefits were sanctioned, and I think there are probably bits of this story missing in the presentation, but there's no good reason why anyone should go hungry in 2015, in the UK, and there have been some ridiculous examples of benefits sanctioning before now.

It does say that the woman was given food bank vouchers at least, but she went whilst it was shut. No good for her in terms of food for then and there, but it's at least something that she should have had access for food, so hopefully not too widespread an occurrence :(

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 10:11 

Mimi wrote:
Yes, nobody has mentioned why her benefits were sanctioned, and I think there are probably bits of this story missing in the presentation, but there's no good reason why anyone should go hungry in 2015, in the UK, and there have been some ridiculous examples of benefits sanctioning before now.
There are endless reports in the media of benefits sanctioning for the most bullshit of reasons: http://stupidsanctions.tumblr.com/ There's an interview here with an alleged mole who claims the target-driven culture imposes harsh targets on the Job Centre staff for quotas of sanctions. The inhumanity of it all appals me.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 10:20 

Achilles wrote:
I suppose it's just a esoteric topic on a thread until it happens to a friend or family member - then, and only then, it will become a real issue to you.

A similar monetary situation and struggle to eat and cope has been part of the life of someone who is a good friend to many of us on here; someone many of us know personally. They didn't steal, no, and eventually managed with the help of food donations and a couple of forum peeps taking them out shopping when they were able to make contact, but whilst waiting for a problem processing a crisis loan they never had food for, I think, six days.

So not so esoteric, and nobody said it wasn't a real problem, but that shouldn't stop discussion.

I understand MaliA's uncomfortableness to some degree; I think for some people not knowing all the facts (why the sanction, how long had she had the food bank vouchers, why couldn't she attend when it was open? Is it her first shoplifting offence or 300th?) will obscure the facts for some. Others can look straight beyond this to the eventual outcome and back to the problem source.

I think it's a good cause. I hope that the money is put to good use both for this woman and in supporting food banks as stated. More pressingly, that we still have cases of people unable to eat for days is something that needs highlighting, and if this brings it to press attention on any level then in that manner, at least, it has achieved a great thing.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 10:26 

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Mimi wrote:
There are endless reports in the media of benefits sanctioning for the most bullshit of reasons: http://stupidsanctions.tumblr.com/ There's an interview here with an alleged mole who claims the target-driven culture imposes harsh targets on the Job Centre staff for quotas of sanctions. The inhumanity of it all appals me.

Yes, those were the ridiculous examples I was speaking of. The problem is that so much is process rather than person-driven. With just some common sense and compassion so many ridiculous sanctions could and should be avoided, but that would take common sense and compassion, and the new system doesn't seem to allow for things that fall outside of the heat little labelled boxes of the banal.

I wonder if it isn't so ridiculous a case in this example, however, as surely the media reports and subsequent campaign would have very much highlighted that? At least, I hope they would have, if just to bring that element of it to attention, too.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 10:50 
Gogmagog

Men do not despise a thief if he steals to satisfy himself when he is hungry.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 23:33 
UltraMod

MaliA wrote:

They do not despise it but it 'sits uncomfortably' with them.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 9:13 
Gogmagog

Future Warrior wrote:
MaliA wrote:

Dob't get me wrong, I think the fine was way too high and draconian. And bwnwgits anctopns are sonwwhat arbitary.I feel sympathy for the woman who felt that the only chance of food was to steal. Despite this, I feel that there is a danger of implicitly condoning "stealing because you are hungry". If that is considered acceptable, then the lines have to be redrawn. Who is it then acceptable to steal from? How hungry do you have to be? It is this part I am uncomfortable with.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 9:47 

MaliA wrote:
Future Warrior wrote:
MaliA wrote:

Dob't get me wrong, I think the fine was way too high and draconian. And bwnwgits anctopns are sonwwhat arbitary.I feel sympathy for the woman who felt that the only chance of food was to steal. Despite this, I feel that there is a danger of implicitly condoning "stealing because you are hungry". If that is considered acceptable, then the lines have to be redrawn. Who is it then acceptable to steal from? How hungry do you have to be? It is this part I am uncomfortable with.

I think I can see what you mean. Maybe it is discomfort with the situation, rather them an the help that this woman has recurred, and could perhaps be tackled by an amendment to the law that does indeed re-draw the line to say where absolute hunger is proven then theft to nourish and stay alive, within the bounds of a reasonable amount of food for the situation, will be overlooked and the circumstances that have lead to this be enquires into to prevent re-occurrence.

If this were down to the defendant not using the provisions attributed to them (food vouchers misappropriated, food bank or meal provisions not attended due to misbehaviour, etc) then this would be taken into account into the negative, also.

I'm not sure that would work, simply because again you are asking people to use common sense and reason rather than assigning situations and people to neat little boxes, but it would allow for the real situation of someone in dire need stealing for sustainance.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 9:54 
Bad Girl

I tell you what could work:

The police who arrested her could have let her go with a caution. It's 75p. SEVENTY FIVE PENCE.

How many minor offences are dealt with by caution where the costs of prosecution are disproportionate to the offence being committed? A shit ton. Statistically speaking, that is.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 10:11 

Saturnalian wrote:

The police who arrested her could have let her go with a caution. It's 75p. SEVENTY FIVE PENCE.

How many minor offences are dealt with by caution where the costs of prosecution are disproportionate to the offence being committed? A shit ton. Statistically speaking, that is.

Absolutely, but we're not sure of how things like this work and the situation: whether it was her first offence or 100th, whether there is anything other than the theft that would have weighed against her judgement. As with most news stories there may be other circumstances not given that provide more context, and it may be that these have either a hard and fast law that this must be prosecuted against or that she was on a 'one more offence and...' From previous problems.

There must be more to the story (as in why were her benefits sanctioned in the first place) but we don't know the background. So yes, I think most would agree with you, but the courts may differ in approach due to other considerations we are not party to.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 10:21 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Saturnalian wrote:

It's a crime, she should be charged for it, in my view. However, I think the courts have the leeway to then not levy a punishment on her as a result. Of course you're then into the area of wondering how much public expense is worthwhile for a 75p crime.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 10:25 
Gogmagog

Mimi wrote:
MaliA wrote:
Future Warrior wrote:
MaliA wrote:

I think I can see what you mean. Maybe it is discomfort with the situation, rather them an the help that this woman has recurred, and could perhaps be tackled by an amendment to the law that does indeed re-draw the line to say where absolute hunger is proven then theft to nourish and stay alive, within the bounds of a reasonable amount of food for the situation, will be overlooked and the circumstances that have lead to this be enquires into to prevent re-occurrence.

If this were down to the defendant not using the provisions attributed to them (food vouchers misappropriated, food bank or meal provisions not attended due to misbehaviour, etc) then this would be taken into account into the negative, also.

I'm not sure that would work, simply because again you are asking people to use common sense and reason rather than assigning situations and people to neat little boxes, but it would allow for the real situation of someone in dire need stealing for sustainance.

I think "starving - needed food" should be used to mitigate the offence, not as a defence. It is still a crime that needs some punitive action albeit at the lower end if the scale.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 10:30 
Bad Girl

As to comments about Court discretion from Meems & Cras, no. Once it is at court the mags have no discretion over whether to punish at all (if found guilty or pleaded guilty) or the minimum punishment handed down (I think it was in the original article the specifics of the minimum fine), so no, you're both wrong that the courts can somehow magic these cases away upon hearing all the circumstances. The courts would simply say "that's nice. Fine X amount payable in 21 days or whatever." It should never have got that far in the first place. Someone either at the police and/or at the CPS (maybe being led by whichever store wanted her prosecuted "to the full extent of the law" as they often put in their shops) thought that it would be a valuable exercise in pissing away tax payers money and clogging the criminal system with this petty bullshit when there are already 80+ courts closing (thanks Tories!) and massive delays of months to hear cases.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 10:33 

Saturnalian wrote:
Someone either at the police and/or at the CPS (maybe being led by whichever store wanted her prosecuted "to the full extent of the law" as they often put in their shops) thought that it would be a valuable exercise in pissing away tax payers money and clogging the criminal system with this petty bullshit when there are already 80+ courts closing (thanks Tories!) and massive delays of months to hear cases.

Clearly the real lesson here is the CPS has too much money. Swingeing cuts for all!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 10:38 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Saturnalian wrote:
As to comments about Court discretion from Meems & Cras, no. Once it is at court the mags have no discretion over whether to punish at all (if found guilty or pleaded guilty) or the minimum punishment handed down (I think it was in the original article the specifics of the minimum fine), so no, you're both wrong that the courts can somehow magic these cases away upon hearing all the circumstances. The courts would simply say "that's nice. Fine X amount payable in 21 days or whatever." It should never have got that far in the first place. Someone either at the police and/or at the CPS (maybe being led by whichever store wanted her prosecuted "to the full extent of the law" as they often put in their shops) thought that it would be a valuable exercise in pissing away tax payers money and clogging the criminal system with this petty bullshit when there are already 80+ courts closing (thanks Tories!) and massive delays of months to hear cases.

That's annoying. I didn't think we had mandatory minimums for stuff like that.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 10:45 

U
Saturnalian wrote:

I didn't suggest that the courts could magic away fines(?)

What I said was that I was t sure if there was any discretion around the case that could have been levied or if there were prior circumstances, and not at specifically court level anyway: this could be at police, CPS or court level where it may be applicable either in issuing the punishment or deciding to press charges, wherever. Again, though, she might be the town's most wanted shoplifter for all we know*, and this might have been her last chance as far as police, etc were concerned.

*I'm not suggesting that she is a serial offender, but again there will be so much background we are unaware of that we aren't really in a position to say whether the fine is correct in totality if, earlier that day, the same person had stolen a hairdryer, or was known for handling stolen goods, etc.

If the report stated it was her first offence, etc, it would seem massively disproportionate to me, but who knows? I don't.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 10:47 
Bad Girl

They've got tariffs for all the offences. Do this get between X & Y and pay A, B & C.

I'm amused that the victim in this case got a £20 victim surcharge. Probably due to all the inconvenience of prosecuting someone for stealing some mars bars. Tch.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 11:00 

Louisa Sewell, 32, Comberton Road, Kidderminster

Louise Sewell, 32, Comberton Road, Kidderminster

Not conclusive that it is the same person, no. And I still disagree with the fine received if this woman was genuinely so hungry that she simply needed to eat (for which we have her word), but really I do understand that sometimes prosecutors, police, courts etc have access to information above what we have, such as prior cases and convictions, such as the information as to why this woman's benefits were sanctioned in the first place, as well as many other things.

In my own conclusion:
1) I don't think this case should have gone to court.
2) But I accept that I really don't know the whole story and there may have ben an obligation o take it to court due to previous offences.
3) I also acknowledge that we don't know the background of why the woman was in this position (why her benefits were sanctioned).
4) We only have the press reports which will pick and choose facts for a story, obviously.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 13:01 
Awesome
Yes

Maybe Stu is being so nice to her because she was stealing the Mars Bars to make his famous sandwich.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 13:25 

I had no idea that you could even buy four Mars bars for 75p. I thought that they cost about that much each, now.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 13:36 

It's probably one of those pound shop type deals where they're all a bit smaller than the proper size ones.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 13:39 
Unpossible!

Also, Heron Foods.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 13:44 
Sleepyhead

DavPaz wrote:
Also, Heron Foods.

Nah, they prefer fish.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 13:54 

markg wrote:
It's probably one of those pound shop type deals where they're all a bit smaller than the proper size ones.

Yes, that's probably very much part of the price point, still quite impressive, though.

I've not heard of Heron Foods, but I assume they are a bit like that Farmfoods place. I think we've been in there twice to get milk. The same group of little lads were in there both times, openly stealing. The second time they were shoving an entire massive frozen turkey into a giant rucksack. The turkey was bigger than the lad carrying it, like some strange Dickensian parody. The staff didn't care, though.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 13:58 
Bad Girl

I've always bemoaned that chocolate bars have been getting smaller over the ears and then I heard some guy at some institution (I can't remember which) who was bragging about how they had successfully managed to reduce portion sizes over the years. So now you know it was that shit who was responsible for the smaller sized everything at a greater cost. It's like the fat tax has already been implemented.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 14:05 
Gogmagog

Saturnalian wrote:
I've always bemoaned that chocolate bars have been getting smaller over the ears and then I heard some guy at some institution (I can't remember which) who was bragging about how they had successfully managed to reduce portion sizes over the years. So now you know it was that shit who was responsible for the smaller sized everything at a greater cost. It's like the fat tax has already been implemented.

It is called value engineering .

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 14:14 
Bad Girl

This morning on the radio it was called a diabetic epidemic.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 14:41 
Master of dodgy spelling....

Saturnalian wrote:
This morning on the radio it was called a diabetic epidemic.

Yes we are contagious.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 7:13 
Gogmagog

Saturnalian wrote:

MEANWHILE IN BRADFORD

Quote:
although we have clear CCTV footage, the police come back and say the value of the products taken is not enough for them to take it any further.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 8:05 

I wonder if there'd be any legal ramifications by, on the back of the publicity garnered by that story, the shop published the CCTV footage online (specifically Facebook) of all the incidents of theft by these kids?

Local residents would surely recognise them and the news get back to the parents (especially as people hate takes of police inaction), but that might invite more trouble from the parents themselves, depending on what kind of people they are. And I'm not sure what legal issues there might be in releasing CCTV footage, especially of minors. Hmm...

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 17:29 
Prince of Fops

15k now.

And one feels the Independent doesn't realise he's not a real reverend.

Independent

Quote:
The Reverend Stuart Campbell, who lives over 90 miles away in Bath, has set up an Indiegogo fundraising page as a “small gesture of solidarity” to help her pay the fines.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 21:39 
Excellent Member

Findus Fop wrote:
15k now.

And one feels the Independent doesn't realise he's not a real reverend.

Independent

Quote:
The Reverend Stuart Campbell, who lives over 90 miles away in Bath, has set up an Indiegogo fundraising page as a “small gesture of solidarity” to help her pay the fines.

He's a "church leader" apparently :

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/pe ... ed-6256306

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 22:12 

Hahahahahaha!

HAHAHAHA!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 22:13 

Someone should give the papers links to his other words of inspiration, godly as they are.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 13:23 
Legendary Boogeyman

BertyBasset wrote:

Ha!

A nice thing would have been paying the money himself. But no, get the daft nationalist cunts to pay for it and he doesn't have to put a penny in and gets all the credit anyway. Genius! More money for his own mars bars. What a saint.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 23:07 

Reply to topic  [ 694 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 14  Next