And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 295 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Tomb Raider
PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:09 
8-Bit Champion
Two heads are better than one

Saturnalian wrote:
I suppose it's the one game where collectables make absolute perfect sense. How many hours will I get out of this?

Depends how you play it - i'm seeing 8 - 10 listed as a 'full' play , I've maybe put in about 7 on mainly the story and a few optional tombs and theres going to be at least one or two set pieces still to go , then there is the question of going back around the island to pick up all the artifacts you've not got / find the extra tombs that you missed / etc (I've actually just unlocked a skill which will show me where the hidden items are on the map and if anyone has finished the game i've just got the block and tackle so can say how much more there is to go).

There is also multiplayer but i've heard its pretty poor and if your an achievement junkie then theres probably quite a bit of grind in multiplayer to max the game (get to level 60 in multiplayer is one of the achievements)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:28 
Time Out for Fun

I'd give it an optimistic 12 hours to complete it 100%. The multiplayer is ok I guess I've played it a bit to get a few more achievements before I send it back to lovefilm.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:00 
MR EXCELLENT FACE

TOO MUCH SHOOTING. I can't even avoid some of it or go for stealthy bow kills -- it's foisted upon me. I simply HAVE to mow down hordes of guys. I never realised Lara was such a blood thirsty warrior.

I'm about to finish the radio tower and right now I'm preferring TR:Underworld (but once again: there was more than enough shooting in that). That had more jungle and more jumps, both of things I like in Tomb Raider games.

On the plus side, I prefer the shooting to the old TR style shooting where she'd auto lock on to something and you'd spend an hour backflipping over them dual-pistoling them to death because you want to save your shotgun ammo. Though my GF is finding it hard to aim. Does easy mod have any sort of auto aim?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:41 
8-Bit Champion

Pod wrote:
TOO MUCH SHOOTING. I can't even avoid some of it or go for stealthy bow kills -- it's foisted upon me. I simply HAVE to mow down hordes of guys. I never realised Lara was such a blood thirsty warrior

I'm pretty much bow for everything except a few specific areas - even the hoards of people can be taken out with the bow - and i prefer it for close up work (you can get really quick and accurate with the bow and a bit of practice) - remember you can hold down RT to 'focus' the shot.

And yes she does kill a *lot* of people (last night i had the achievement pop for looting 200 bodies and that wont count all the others I've killed and failed to get to their corpses)

** edit - i should point out that i'm not using the bow for stealth in a lot of these place - just standing (or hiding) and taking them out with the bow while they are shooting machine gun shots at me)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 18:41 

I am really enjoying it. I don't think there is too much killing, I remember there being just as much in the other Tomb Raider game sI have played.

One thing really annoys me though.
I shoot a guard, with my bow when the other one is away. The otherone turns round, sees the body, and runs over to it.
I am hiding, and yet somehow he shouts 'She's here!' amd starts shooting at where I am! There is no way he saw me. It is really annoying, for if you're trying to be stealthy, you can't.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 18:59 

Does anyone know if Guardian of Light is any good? It's only 600 MS points just now. I'm considering getting it.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 20:27 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

I enjoyed it. It's not a typical Tomb Raider game but it is good fun. I would buy it for that price.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 20:29 

TheVision wrote:
I enjoyed it. It's not a typical Tomb Raider game but it is good fun. I would buy it for that price.

What about Anniversary? It's 1040 MS Points. It's a Square Enix sale, so all the tomb raider stuff is on sale. I'm tempted to just buy it all :P

Oh! and all the DLC: 2 for underworld, 3 for Guardian of Light. Any of them any good?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 20:39 
Excellent Member

Guardian of Light and the last three proper Tomb Raider games are all excellent. Don't buy the DLC for GoL though, it's piss awful.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 20:41 

Bamba wrote:
Guardian of Light and the last three proper Tomb Raider games are all excellent. Don't buy the DLC for GoL though, it's piss awful.

Okay, thanks :)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 20:47 
8-Bit Champion

Cookie197 wrote:
Bamba wrote:

I'd get GOL - think of it as a isometric version of Dead Ops arcade with an open world view

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 20:50 

zaphod79 wrote:
Cookie197 wrote:
Bamba wrote:

I'd get GOL - think of it as a isometric version of Dead Ops arcade with an open world view

Cool, that sounds good. Is it co-op? If so, does anyone else have it?
Bamba - When you say 'the last 3' do you include Anniversary in that?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 21:09 
Excellent Member

Cookie197 wrote:
Cool, that sounds good. Is it co-op?

Yep, the entire game can be played either local co-op (both characters on the same playfield so it works very well that way) or over tinternet.

Cookie197 wrote:
Bamba - When you say 'the last 3' do you include Anniversary in that?

Aye, it's not quite as good as Legend/Underworld I didn't think but it's still excellent fun.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 21:52 
MR EXCELLENT FACE

Cookie197 wrote:
Does anyone know if Guardian of Light is any good? It's only 600 MS points just now. I'm considering getting it.

It's excellent. As is Underworld. Thailand looks nice and jungly, the exact type of place that makes you want to jump around on ledges and explore.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:27 
8-Bit Champion

Completed - end was a little odd but meh I really enjoyed the rest of the game - 76% completed and i only finally upgraded the bow to max just as I hit the camp fire which says 'fast travel is no longer possible after this point' (to say its the final boss ahead)

I'll have a play around with multi player and go and do the other tombs

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 20:18 

Just finished. (But apparently only 64% complete!) I really enjoyed the game, the combat was good, the story was good, as was the scenery. I am definately impressed with the game, and will probably be going through it trying to get all the optional tombs and colectables complete. I hope they continue to make more, and hopefully bring out some really good DLC. (Which I will probably buy.)

I agree with Zaphod, in that the ending was a little odd, but I still loved it.

There was a few things that could be better, including (but not limited to) the thing i mentioned about stealth kills futher up this page^^.
I didn't think the combat was too repetative - although, there are some points where you get ambushed, and the enemies seems to just keep coming and coming forever, that can get a little boring.

My favourite weapons were the bow and the Rifle. There are the weapons I used for the majority of the game. I used the bow at long range, and the rifle for short. I didn't really notice many of the upgrades making that big a difference, and I often could never find enough salvage (Although, probably my fault and not the games)

I kinda wish there had been a few more puzzles, to make it a bit more like older Tomb Raiders. I also wish ammo was not so easy to find - even just "sprayin' and prayin' " I never found myself short of ammo. Although some people might like this, I think ammo being a bit scarecer would have made you think more about the 'survival' part. If you had to conserve your ammo, and be careful not to waste it, that would have been cool.

Another thing - after the inital "OMG I NEED FOOD" you don't anymore, it would have been good if they had something that meant you HAD to hunt animals and you HAD to drink water. It's more a 'Shooter' than a Survival game, if you don't have to worry about ammo and such.

I've only had one game of multi-player so far, but I quite enjoyed it. I noticed some people saying that it wasn't very good, and I'm going to have to disagree. I would definately like to play more of the MP.

My score? 9.3/10. Apart from the things I mentioned about, absolutely excellent game.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 13:58 
Bad Girl

Just walked into GAME asking about buying this for a quid and got mystified looks my way. No signs anywhere. Bad omen, that.

"Erm, yeah, I don't think we're doing that anymore"

"Resi 6 and Far Cry? I think Far Cry but it wasn't Resi 6. No, no, no."

I got the manager to check their promotions booklet and, yes, it's still on and I was right! Yay! Turns out I've got some money on my rewards card too and didn't need to spend a single penny.

Point is this: BEEX FUCKING ROCKS. I'd have never of known had it not been for Zaphod. I'm tremendously grateful and thank all the people who spend the time to bring these things to our attention. You are all excellent.

'cept for the cunts. Obv.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 14:32 
8-Bit Champion

Saturnalian wrote:
Turns out I've got some money on my rewards card too and didn't need to spend a single penny.

:-)

Offer is still on until the 18th if anyone else wants to pick up the game and it is on the website but it probably has enough weasel words in it to deny you if they really wanted

http://www.game.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores ... tombraider

Quote:
Get Tomb Raider Explore Edition for only 99p Terms and Conditions: Offer valid 5/03/13 - 18/03/13. In stores only. Limited Offer while stocks last. You will get Tomb Raider Explore Edition for Xbox 360 or PS3 for 99p when you trade-in two selected games on Xbox 360 or PS3 and the trade-in value is deducted from the selling price of Tomb Raider Explore Edition. Selected games are: Devil May Cry, Resident Evil 6, Far Cry 3, Halo 4, Borderlands 2 or Call of Duty Black Ops 2 on either Xbox 360 or PS3. Trade-in offer only applies when the trade-in and Tomb Raider Explore Edition purchase occur in the same transaction. Offer available on Tomb Raider Explore Edition only. To trade-in; all games must be in good working order and of satisfactory quality, imported games are excluded from trade-ins. Titles are subject to change. Cash-trade-in value may vary. Photo ID is required for CASH trade-ins only. You will need to provide two forms of ID: 1. Valid Photo Driving License, Valid Passport, Valid Military I.D. card or Government recognized photo PASS card 2. A utility bill dated within the last 3 months. So please check with your local store for their local council requirements. Ask staff for details. Trade-in offers are open to members of the public only and GAME reserves the right to refuse the offer to anyone believed to be representing a trade buyer. The Manager's decision is final. Trade-in and cash prices are subject to change. This offer can be withdrawn without prior notice. This offer cannot be used in conjunction with any other offers. This does not affect your statutory rights.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 15:22 
Bad Girl

I never got asked for any of that junk. Yay me!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 21:01 
Bad Girl

It's funny really.

There's no HUD at all which adds to the atmosphere so when it does pop up, all cool and funky and floaty, it's fucking irritating.

"You have XP!" But I only just walked forward until you ran a cut scene.

I'll just spend a couple of minutes getting this bow. "Bow acquired! New item!" I know.

"New Mission! Escape the Forest!" I know, she just said she wants to escape.

The floaty menus are too cool for school an' all. I can barely discern which way to scroll them. XP. Skill points. Hunter. Hunted. I can't tell if they're adding anything to the single player at the moment but they are unnecessarily distracting me from progressing the story and its weighing down the pace.

Still, it looks pretty...

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:01 
Bad Girl

The level design is really nice so far. Lots of nooks and crannies to weasel in and find junk.

Literally junk. I can't say I'm that bothered with kicking over 10 boxes to get enough scrap to "level up" the bow. I'm tired of XP and shit in a 'serious' campaign.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 18:36 
Bad Girl

I've changed my mind about this. I like it. Lots. It's badass.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 19:08 
Bad Girl

Mind you, 3 or 4 hours in and she's totally forgot she got impaled by a spike in the first 10 minutes and then got shot in the arm 20 minutes later.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 19:27 
8-Bit Champion

Saturnalian wrote:
I've changed my mind about this. I like it. Lots. It's badass.

There was a point about 1/2 way through when the enemies instead of shouting "she's here lets get her" switched to "argh - she's here - we need help" :-)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 23:07 
Bad Girl

I'll look out for that.

I certainly won't need to look out for any 'falling down'-stuff events. It's verging on ridiculous the amount of times that's been overused.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 22:59 
Bad Girl

The walk into the Chamber of Judgement was aces. Great atmosphere there. Shame there was no real danger of death.

Oof, and I love the Resi 4 style grisly deaths. TR is definately channelling the Resi 4 reboot.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:23 
8-Bit Champion

Saturnalian wrote:
TR is definately channelling the Resi 4 reboot.

There is a *lot* of Resi4 about the whole thing , even the main baddie walking with his staff thingy reminds me of Resi4

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 19:39 

They've already released DLC! A map pack for MP with 3 (I think) maps

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 0:09 
Bad Girl

This single player campaign is brill.

I've not once been bored. I love playing it and I'm annoyed I've got to go to bed cause I wanna crack on. It's got a mix of some of my favourite games in there: it's started off all Resi 4, it's had a crack at some God of War bombast and now it's gone all Uncharted for a couple of hours (the shooting, not the climbing, although its got plenty of that too).

(The shooting is very similar to Uncharted too, but here it seems a tad more satisfying. A headshot is a headshot for instance. And whilst I was strictly about the bow it's done a Dead Space and dropped some cheevos for using the other weapons, so it's made me use them and now I'm swapping and changing from stealthy pistol shots to the head to gunning down the hoards at medium range and diving in to get as many shotty kills as I can for the cheevo. It's come at just the right time too since its throwing baddies at me to play with.)

It's done the unthinkable and made me want to collect stuff too since every now and again it'll give me a map which reveals their locations and, well, it'd be rude not to since the maps are so well designed. It's been playing on my Resi 4 obsession to kick as many barrels as I can for loot. I go looking around the map and when the secrets are revealed I'll spend some time mopping up the few I've missed. It's ace. But pointless. But I don't care. Shiny shiny.

The only thing I can possibly moan about is its too bloody easy. Maybe I should have gone in on hard level for a start, but it just wants me to enjoy it. And enjoy it I have. What a surprise TR has been. Fack all like the old ones - it needn't have bothered with the name really - but definately corking fun.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 19:41 
Bad Girl

Holy shit, some of the weapons finishers are brutal.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 2:36 
Bad Girl

Finished.

That was bloody ace. 15 hours, 90% complete and 22 cheevos. I don't think I'll bother with that remaining 10% either. I've seen all it had to offer (cept the multiplayer, which I'll probably have a lil dabble with before it gets traded).

It's not perfect but it's loads of fun, and I didn't think I'd be saying that about a Tomb Raider game ever again.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 14:06 
Bad Girl

...and why ain't my GAME exclusive challenge tomb code working? Aye, tell me that world?

And why do I want a code for an "agility upgrade"? DLC is stupid sometimes.

Oh, and in another nod to Resi, it's got the toy models, but without the talking bases. Tch.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 15:21 
8-Bit Champion

Saturnalian wrote:
...and why ain't my GAME exclusive challenge tomb code working? Aye, tell me that world?

Mine worked and the tomb is right at the very start (near your first campsite where you meet the deer)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 22:36 
Excellent Member

Finished this tonight and mopped up the final challenges/collectibles; I'd been picking them up as I went along so there were only a few to go back and get. it's a fucking dirty trick though that one of the levels doesn't have a fast travel camp so you think you've done everything and only when the cheevo not popping sends you scurrying to the internet do you realise that the Cliffside Bunker isn't in the list of fast travel locations. One of it's challenge items is a fucking bitch as well and I'd never have found it on my own. Anyway, the game is excellent fun and I've banged through it quicker than most games I've played recently, which is a testament to the fun factor but also a comment on the low difficulty that others have already touched on.

I miss the massive entire-level-sized puzzles from the previous games and it's definitely more Uncharted than Tomb Raider, but the combat's more satisfying than Uncharted and there's a depth to the atmosphere that I think Uncharted also lacks in comparison. They really do need to sort out the stealth though, it would be excellent fun to properly stalk groups of enemies with the bow but you'll be lucky to get a couple down silently before everyone suddenly knows exactly where you are and the fucking dynamite starts dropping unerringly right at your fucking feet. There was one forest level where I took down everyone without being spotted due to all the enemies being quite spaced out and that gave a hint of how much fun a stealthy approach could be if they'd just tweak things a bit.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 22:48 
SavyGamer

This is a load of bollocks.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 17:32 
8-Bit Champion

Tomb Raider II confirmed

http://tombraider.tumblr.com/post/57069 ... om-darrell

Quote:
Good morning all! Some great news from Darrell Gallagher, Head of Product Development and Studios, below.

“Hi - you may have read today that a next-generation sequel to Tomb Raider is in the works. We’re very excited to confirm that the team has started working on telling the next chapter in Lara’s tale. It’s still early days, so I’m afraid I can’t provide any further details for now save my assurance that we’re not resting on our laurels and acclaim from Tomb Raider’s recent successes, but working hard to raise the bar even higher and re-affirm the faith you’ve shown.”

The sequel was mentioned on a blog from Phil Rogers today. To read the complete blog, which has some great insight into Square Enix’s future plans

http://na.square-enix.com/us/blog/note-phil-rogers-ceo

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 21:09 
8-Bit Champion

Straight back into the format wars but Digital Foundry's performance specs for Tomb Raider 'ultimate' or whatever its being called

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digit ... e-analysis

Quote:
CUTSCENE
Xbox One
Lowest FPS: 27fps
Highest FPS: 30fps
Average FPS: 29.98fps

PS4
Lowest FPS: 32fps
Highest FPS: 60fps
Average FPS: 53.36fps

GAMEPLAY
Xbox One
Lowest FPS: 18fps
Highest FPS: 30fps
Average FPS: 29.84fps

PS4
Lowest FPS: 33fps
Highest FPS: 60fps
Average FPS: 50.98fps

That sounds really weird , the frame rate was choppy at times on the 360 but if you want to play it with no lag the PC version is constantly on offer for about £6 or £7 , so to put out a 'next gen' version for £50 and then mess up the performance like that doesnt make sense to me

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 21:12 

Not everyone has a PC.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 21:36 
8-Bit Champion

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Not everyone has a PC.

Nope , however you can also pick up the PS3 / Xbox360 versions for between £12 and £15 - I would think to try and encourage me to buy it again they could possibly have made it work a little better ?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 21:44 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Not everyone has a PC.

No, but you can get a brilliant one for less tha... (That's enough of that-ed)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 21:55 
UltraMod

The PS4 version sounds ok for anyone without a PC/Mac that would run it. Not for £50 though. 18fps on the Xbox One sounds horrid.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 22:05 
Bad Girl

Yeah, but you get all of the DL...ah, nope. No, I got nothing.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 22:11 
Decapodian

British Nervoso wrote:
The PS4 version sounds ok for anyone without a PC/Mac that would run it. Not for £50 though. 18fps on the Xbox One sounds horrid.

Plenty of places doing £35 preorders.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 22:20 
Bad Girl

Just so I know, what were the 360 and PS3 versions running at? I can't recall any frame rate issues but then again I was having too much fun to notice.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 22:37 

720p/30 on 360, and the same but with more frequent frame rate drops on the PS3. So the PS4 version is more than twice as many pixels plus twice the framerate.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 22:38 

zaphod79 wrote:
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Not everyone has a PC.

Nope , however you can also pick up the PS3 / Xbox360 versions for between £12 and £15 - I would think to try and encourage me to buy it again they could possibly have made it work a little better ?
Not everyone bought it last year either. I didn't. So I'd obviously buy the next gen one now.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:58 

XBone has worse textures too:

http://i.imgur.com/cQCWacC.gif

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 13:39 
Decapodian

That's a vast difference. Ouch!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 21:05 
Hibernating Druid

Loads more seagulls on the PS4.

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 14:15 
Excellent Member

Ffffffuuuuuuuuck! The next game, Rise of the Tomb Raider (which is a terrible title) seems to be Xbone exclusive:

http://www.engadget.com/2014/08/12/rise ... ombraider/

I'm very surprised they'd cut out a massive part of their audience for what's always been a cross-platform franchise; MS must have paid them boatloads of cash to do that. Unless it's just a timed exclusive and they're playing silly buggers with the wording of the announcement.

Reply to topic  [ 295 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next