Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 4059 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 82  Next
 Post subject: Re: Middle Age Spread
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 19:04 
Ready for action

I have lost about 2.5 stone since last October and went from a size 16 to a size 12 or a 30" waist although i think these jeans are getting a bit big now. I decided I needed to lose weight when I saw a photo of myself at a party last August and I was shocked at how I looked.
To lose weight, I didn't want to attempt unrealistic or unsustainable things. I bought a pedometer off amazon that measured step count and distance travelled as well as estimating calories and fat burned. I walk about a lot at work (averaging 15,000 steps) and so I tried to make sure I did 18,000+ every day. This meant that if I had a particularly slow day at work, I just took the dog for a longer walk when I got home and on weekends I made sure we went out for a few hours walking.

For my eating, I paid attention to portion size and to fat and calorie content. I am still too generous with portion sizes for things like pasta and rice but I more strict now. When I buy a sandwich, I would always go fr a Marks and Spencers BLT. After my first week of wearing the pedometer I realised that a BLT contains more fat than my pedometer estimates I burn from an average days walking. So suddenly I resented the BLT and choose more heathy options.

When planning meals, instead of making chicken with pancetta and stuffed with mozzarella, I made turkey escalopes in breadcrumbs flavoured with cayenne. So basically I was still eating really tasty food, just trying to be more intelligent with my choices. I cut out full fat fizzy juice which was hard as I hate diet but once I'd gone about a month with no fizzy juice at all, I found that actually diet was alright and now I couldn't go back. I also tried to limit the amount of beer, wine or cider I drank and stick mainly to a spirit with low cal mixer, like gin and slimline tonic. That made a huge difference as well.

At work, I got weighed every week (through choice!) and was losing 2lb-4lbs every week, literally by just doing what I've mentioned. There was no other difference in exercise at all. Getting weighed was a real motivator because it showed how much of a difference I was making but it quickly came to stop mattering because my clothes were hanging of me and the difference was visible. I've not been weighed since about Feb so couldn't tell you what I am now, I just now I'm still improving because of the way clothes fit.

I still would like to tone up a bit and so I'm planning to join a gym in the next month or so. Ideally I'd like to have a fairly toned stomach which is something I never had even when I was young and stupidly skinny. It's amazing the difference this has made to my lifestyle and my happiness though; we go on holiday on Wednesay and it's the first holiday I've been on in ten years. Went shopping for clothes last week and was fairly pleased with the reflection I was seeing in the mirror. Got lots of nice tops, shorts and even a bikini and the style of things I could choose was much wider because I'm now happy with my figure.

That brings me onto another thing though. At a size 12, I am not fat and I'm fairly healthy. I have quite good body confidence and I'm happy enough in myself and have a wonderful life. However, if I was fifteen years old and anything but a size eight, I can imagine a shopping trip would be enough to reduce you to tears. Some of the clothes and styles that the high street are selling are ridiculous and it makes me feel sorry for all the young girls. At least when I was that age, combat touters and baggy jeans were in style and shops like Topshop had a wide range of sort of boyfriend fit jeans for women. Now though it all seems to be designed to show off as much flesh as possible, or if you are covered up then it is skin tight.
It's a real shame and I wish this obsession with slutty clothes and fixation on celebrity figures would stop.

Anyway, I digress. Trooper I think you are doing the right thing, you really don't want to let it go for ages if you'd rather be healthier because I did and it really shocked me when I realised. In my defence I had other issues that were contributing to a lack of confidence but even still, I'm glad I finally acted and I don't like calling this diet because that suggests that at some point I will stop. I won't, I've changed my lifestyle now and I'm so pleased I did.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 19:07 
ugvm'er at heart...

BikNorton wrote:
1750 is pretty damned minimal, you'll end up depressed, especially if you're doing cardio.

That's 1750 if I do no exercise, I can add whatever I burn off onto that.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 19:08 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

BikNorton wrote:
1750 is pretty damned minimal, you'll end up depressed, especially if you're doing cardio.

I did 1400, for three weeks. It was brutal, but it's given me exactly the motivation I needed - to whit, "I never fucking want to have to spend 3 weeks eating sweet dick all again".

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 19:13 
Sitting balls-back folder

speaking of which, can you bung the pastrami marinade/sauce recipe somewhere?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 19:23 
Excellent Member

I managed to lose a stone in one month just by taking note of calorie and fat content in food and drinks and reducing or eliminating the intake of those accordingly. No extra exercise either.

One more stone to go to get to my preferred weight.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 19:28 
EvilTrousers

Another vote for ignoring BMI here. A couple of years ago I got down to within my ideal BMI and everyone was concerned I had some kind of debilitating illness that I wouldn't talk about.

I got on the scales at the gym this afternoon and I'm under 14 stone for the first time in a while and that's been through using MyFitnesspal and having no car. It's a two mile trek into the office and if I do that twice a day that's over 400 calories burnt off just from getting to and from work. I'm weight training as well but the main difference seems to be the walking.

My car has been fucked for nearly two months now - argument with Mazda and then CarCraft as to who is going to pay for the £2k repair - and I'm not even sure I want it back. Apart from when it's pissing down of course.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 19:28 
ugvm'er at heart...

Craster wrote:
BikNorton wrote:

I did 1400, for three weeks. It was brutal, but it's given me exactly the motivation I needed - to whit, "I never fucking want to have to spend 3 weeks eating sweet dick all again".

For example, today I have had.
Waffles and maple syrup
Salad with feta and chorizo
Nectarine
Ice lolly
Chicken curry with rice and naan.

All for 1950 calories, minus 230 calories for the exercise bike and bang on target.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 19:49 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

BikNorton wrote:
speaking of which, can you bung the pastrami marinade/sauce recipe somewhere?

:DD

Will do. I made it up, so it'll take me a while to work out what measurements I used.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 19:49 
Excellent Member

Trousers wrote:
Another vote for ignoring BMI here. A couple of years ago I got down to within my ideal BMI and everyone was concerned I had some kind of debilitating illness that I wouldn't talk about.

I look at the BMI as a rough guide only, but that aside it's pretty accurate for me as I KNEW I was putting on weight, particularly around the waist and upwards. At least my trousers aren't as tight now, or my old shirts! :)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 19:56 
EvilTrousers

Four_Candles wrote:
Trousers wrote:

I look at the BMI as a rough guide only, but that aside it's pretty accurate for me as I KNEW I was putting on weight, particularly around the waist and upwards. At least my trousers aren't as tight now, or my old shirts! :)

The jeans I wore last year are no good to me at all, the jeans I bought 3 months ago need a belt. It's probably my best measure of how much I have lost weight.

That and deliberately finding people I haven't seen for a couple of months and seeing if they say anything. Mainly they say "Oooh you look a bit less like Homer Simpson than you used to" but it's all progress innit?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 20:22 
Excellent Member

Trousers wrote:
Four_Candles wrote:
Trousers wrote:

The jeans I wore last year are no good to me at all, the jeans I bought 3 months ago need a belt. It's probably my best measure of how much I have lost weight.

That and deliberately finding people I haven't seen for a couple of months and seeing if they say anything. Mainly they say "Oooh you look a bit less like Homer Simpson than you used to" but it's all progress innit?

Yup, slow but steady progress - that's the best way. Make sure that you're also getting the right vitamins and minerals.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:29 
Legendary Boogeyman

Gilly wrote:
Weight stuff

Nobody else has bothered replying, so I'll just say that's awesome, and well done! :)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:31 
Legendary Boogeyman

Trousers wrote:
Mainly they say "Oooh you look a bit less like Homer Simpson than you used to" but it's all progress innit?

I think on one particular day about three people seperately told me I was wasting away. Literally, I think it was down to the style of shirt I was wearing that was probably more slimming than usual.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 15:43 
EvilTrousers

I'm away for the week and there's a gym and swimmimg pool here. Last minute thing so went and bought some swiming shorts/trunks. Oprimistically I bought some medium ones.

When I got back to my accommodation I couldn't get the fucking things over my knees - let alone round my waist.

Turns out they were Boys aged 10-12 medium.

That would have been some pretty monumental weight loss if I'd got them on.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 15:52 
ugvm'er at heart...

ElephantBanjoGnome wrote:
Gilly wrote:
Weight stuff

Nobody else has bothered replying, so I'll just say that's awesome, and well done! :)

Oh yeah, totally! I thought that, but didn't type it :)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 15:54 
Best
Board Mother

Trousers wrote:
I'm away for the week and there's a gym and swimmimg pool here. Last minute thing so went and bought some swiming shorts/trunks. Oprimistically I bought some medium ones.

When I got back to my accommodation I couldn't get the fucking things over my knees - let alone round my waist.

Brilliant! :D

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 15:55 
Best
Board Mother

Trooper wrote:
Gilly wrote:
Weight stuff

Yeah, well done Gilly, you'be done exactly what I hope to. :)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 16:04 

Trousers wrote:

I did that a day before I went to Barbados. Ended up buying swimshorts for 8 year olds.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 16:06 
Master of dodgy spelling....

I am still in 36" jeans and have thrown my 40" jeans away.

I need to do more exercise, so I have stopped using the lift at work.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 16:10 
Isn't that lovely?

We have people who use the lift at work to go down 1 flight of stairs!

I think that unless you are injured, disabled, or carrying a heavy load or something you should not be allowed to use a lift unless you going up more than say, 5 floors.

Malc

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 16:18 
Ready for action

Goddess Jasmine wrote:
Trooper wrote:
Gilly wrote:
Weight stuff

Yeah, well done Gilly, you'be done exactly what I hope to. :)

Aw thanks everyone :)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 21:37 
Best
Board Mother

Well, I've been to see my nurse today. She weighed me. I am the heaviest I have ever been. A stone heavier than I actually thought I was. Gutted.

Lets do this thing.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 23:02 
Comfortably Dumb

Goddess Jasmine wrote:
Well, I've been to see my nurse today. She weighed me. I am the heaviest I have ever been. A stone heavier than I actually thought I was. Gutted.

Lets do this thing.

You can do it. :)

According to Wii Fit earlier, my ideal weight is 12st 9. Sod that.. I'm not sure I'd even look well at that weight.

In recent weeks I'd been getting a little breathless at work so I've kicked in the exercise again and while my weight is only coming down slowly (pesky takeaways), I'm at least a little more mobile again and a little less horrific sight in the mirror.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:55 
Best
Board Mother

Ima gonna come use your balance board. :p

Just booked in for a health MOT.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 21:40 
Best
Board Mother

Got an appointment with a personal trainer on Friday. Eek.

How are you getting on Trooper?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 21:56 
ugvm'er at heart...

All good :) been under my calorie target every day so far, but it's only been 3 days :D
Not doing enough exercise, but my headphones arrive tomorrow, so i'll do the first day of the couch to 5k tomorrow afternoon.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:08 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Goddess Jasmine wrote:

You could have taken mine from the BB2. Never mind.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:37 
ugvm'er at heart...

182lbs today, according to the scale. So 4lbs down already :) I'm expecting that loss rate to slow significantly now though.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 12:19 
Best
Board Mother

Grim... wrote:
Goddess Jasmine wrote:

Heh, I've got one thank you, I specifically wanted to use DM's. ;)

Well done Trooper, I've only gone over once so far and that was by accident - lesson learned there.

Just had my health MOT. Very healthy apart from my body composition, so that's a good start. :)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 13:34 
ugvm'er at heart...

Aww crap, headphones and iphone armband are here. Now I have no excuse :D

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 14:02 
Comfortably Dumb

Goddess Jasmine wrote:
Grim... wrote:
Goddess Jasmine wrote:

Heh, I've got one thank you, I specifically wanted to use DM's. ;)

:S

Perhaps more at home in the 'Stupid things you have done' thread, but I was using Wii Fit the other day, with a couple of 2.5kg weights to exercise my arms, when I saw my phone flash up with a text message. I put the weights down on the sofa, grabbed my phone and watched on of the weights roll off and land on my foot. :facepalm:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 14:44 
ugvm'er at heart...

Trooper wrote:

First couch to 5k run done, pretty easy.
No problems fitness wise, but running hurts my shins and feet a bit. I assume that will get better over time once I build up some leg muscle, and I work out the best technique. I'm more of a plodder than a runner at the moment :D

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 15:33 
Best
Board Mother

Trooper wrote:
Trooper wrote:

No problems fitness wise, but running hurts my shins and feet a bit. I assume that will get better over time once I build up some leg muscle, and I work out the best technique. I'm more of a plodder than a runner at the moment :D

@DM because it was saying you weigh less than you are.

@Trooper Have you got proper running shoes? I used to have that problem until I got me some asiscs.

Did my 2nd yoga class today, can already do more than last week, but my flabby bits are getting in the way now. :(

Meeting James my personal trainer tomorrow, don't be surprised if you don't hear off me. :P

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 15:41 
Gogmagog

Very unrelated, but Brad Pitt's fitness person in Burn After Reading was one of the funniest things I've ever seen him do.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 16:28 
ugvm'er at heart...

I do have proper shoes :)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 16:43 
Best
Board Mother

Trooper wrote:

Good, hopefully you just need to get your body used to it. :)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 17:08 
Comfortably Dumb

Goddess Jasmine wrote:
@DM because it was saying you weigh less than you are.

Ah. You might try reading my post again then. :)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 17:11 
Best
Board Mother

*re-reads* Oops!

Also, I agree.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 17:12 
Soopah red DS

Trooper wrote:

Take it easy with shins. They'll build up over time, just don't try and run through it, follow the plan, man.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 17:25 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Trooper wrote:
Trooper wrote:

How far did you go?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 17:25 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

JBR wrote:
Trooper wrote:

Take it easy with shins.

Just ask GazChap.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 17:38 

I only had one ;)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 18:07 
ugvm'er at heart...

Grim... wrote:
Trooper wrote:
Trooper wrote:

How far did you go?

First session was 60 seconds running, followed by 90 seconds "brisk" walking, repeated 8 times. Total was about 4.5k
I was tempted to go straight to week 2 as I didn't find it hard at all really, but follow the plan I shall :)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 18:19 

Trooper wrote:
Grim... wrote:
Trooper wrote:
Trooper wrote:

How far did you go?

First session was 60 seconds running, followed by 90 seconds "brisk" walking, repeated 8 times. Total was about 4.5k
I was tempted to go straight to week 2 as I didn't find it hard at all really, but follow the plan I shall :)

Well done mate, but being the sad twat that I am, that 4.5km distance didn't look right to me. If we assume 12kph for the running bit (which is pretty fast, to be fair) and 6kph for the brisk walk, that gives a distance of 2.8km.

(I'm a reet fat bastard at present; I managed 8.5km last night, same again tonight - but I have more that I need to lose than you mate! :D )

Dr Lave wrote:
Of course, he's normally wrong but interestingly wrong :p

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 18:30 
Best
Board Mother

Cavey, have you logged on to myfitnesspal.com?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 18:34 
ugvm'er at heart...

Captain Caveman wrote:
Trooper wrote:
Grim... wrote:
Trooper wrote:
Trooper wrote:

How far did you go?

Well done mate, but being the sad twat that I am, that 4.5km distance didn't look right to me. If we assume 12kph for the running bit (which is pretty fast, to be fair) and 6kph for the brisk walk, that gives a distance of 2.8km.

Plus 5 minutes either side brisk walk to warm up and warm down, then I was a 5 minute walk away from home, so I just carried on :D
Took 35 mins in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 18:39 
UltraMod

I can run 5k in under 30 mins without having done exercise in months. I don't know if I have some kind of level of natural fitness (i know my rotund figure says otherwise).

Recently I've been so lazy. Exercise annoys me because when I'm going hammer and tongs I can't get below 13st, but when I'm stuffing my face being a lazy bastard I never get over 14st. :S

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 18:41 
Gogmagog

Whilst I think of it, as I'm seeing him later, my friend J does a fair amount of boxing. He said that in between boxing sessions, going to the gym has really cut down on niggling inuries he was having. In his legs and back and things, as opposed to some 14 stone bloke twatting him in the face ("I don't mind it so much, my face doesn't hurt, but it makes my fillings jangle for about an hour afterwards). Once agian, do as I say, not as I do.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 18:42 
Master of dodgy spelling....

Goddess Jasmine wrote:

I had mine with Bupa.. I got a good old prodding and testing.

Everything is better than 3 years ago.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 18:45 
Gogmagog

KovacsC wrote:
Goddess Jasmine wrote:

I had mine with Bupa.. I got a good old prodding and testing.

Everything is better than 3 years ago.

I'm very happy to hear that, dude!

Reply to topic  [ 4059 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 82  Next