Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 4062 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46 ... 82  Next
 Post subject: Re: Middle Age Spread
PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 10:10 
Excellent Member

After buying an MS band I've found its motivated me to do a minimum 10,000 steps a day. I make sure my lunch hour is spent walking. The calorie burn is as good as a 5K run (according to Band information) and it takes the pressure off trying to run when I get home. I generally find that I get home and my son is so happy to see me that my time is taken up with him until his bed time @7.30ish so after this I can't get the motivation together to run.

On top of this I linked the band to another app called My Fitness Pal. This has let me set up a weight loss goal and tells me what calories I should consume, I then enter the food I eat each day into a diary and it adds the steps\runs from the band and tells me what I'm doing.

I was surprised to see the calories in fruit which even when on a diet I used to treat as calorie free! Also booze was a shock as well. I've cut my drinking down so that I'm not hungover on a weekend and can do stuff with my son, even though I will have 4 large beers on a weekend night which is 1200 calories plus some crisps.

Overall a real eye opener and I'm finding the whole thing really useful with diet\exercise

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 10:23 
Master of dodgy spelling....

I have stopped looking at calories, just eating healthily, my weight is coming off steadily. I have seen a sports nutritionist about fuel properly. What has surprised me is that I need over 3000 calories a day, more when i run lots.

It is tricky balancing my diabetes and fuel, but it seems to working. My diabetes is under control, might see about coming off my meds at my next review.

My new sports watch is awesome, does a lot more than my last, and has a manual of 155+ pages

I do know the delete and save are the opposite way round :belm:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 11:02 
Excellent Member

Quote:
I have stopped looking at calories, just eating healthily, my weight is coming off steadily. I have seen a sports nutritionist about fuel properly. What has surprised me is that I need over 3000 calories a day, more when i run lots.

I'm using at calories really to help with healthy eating what I like about the fitness app is that even if you eat within the calorie count it will warn you that you are consuming sugar, sodium etc over you daily allowance.

Last night I had some Brie which was well in calories but I blew my fat allowance for the day:)

I like this over diets like slimming world that say "its a red day eat as much steak as you want"!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 12:41 
sneering elitist

I gave up on tracking calories after about 2 weeks, it's so fucking monotonous and my weight didn't change at all.

I eat what I fancy and if I have a day where I overdo it I try and balance it out the day after. I focus mostly on protein to support my lifting, good fats and veg. Consume very little fruit because of the sugar content and drink mostly water and black coffee (and vodka).

My weight is the most stable it's been in years so I think I'm doing OK.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 13:36 
Decapodian

I'm down about 10 pounds since the start of the year which is fine - it's my usual pattern of eating and drinking too much over winter, and not doing enough exercise when I can't cycle easily. As long as I keep off the snacks and carry on cycling to work a couple of days a week I'll be heading in the right direction, then this year I'm going to join a gym once the clocks change and I'm in the car every day.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 7:26 
Excellent Member

Got rid of 6 pounds since Monday!

Had this happen before when I've done Slimming World diets, just bloat and water I guess

Still a good start

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 8:49 

asfish wrote:
Got rid of 6 pounds since Monday!

Had this happen before when I've done Slimming World diets, just bloat and water I guess

Still a good start

Awesome start.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 8:52 

My latest idea is I'm going to set up my rowing machine in the garage and then re-watch all of Breaking Bad, while rowing, perhaps at the rate of half an hour a day or so. According to my gym bunny colleague a rowing machine is very good all round exercise. Going to get out running again too.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 9:38 
Excellent Member

I'm finding that if you can get out for an hour of walking at lunchtime plus keeping a sensible moderate diet that that is working. I'm eating normally but weighing the odd thing mostly to enter into my food diary.

Running is a bonus which I like to do but not necessary all the time for calories in fact in can be a bit much, I did 21,000 steps yesterday including a 5K run and found myself wanting more too eat last night.

Weekend will be a challenge as I find it easy to keep of crap food and beer within the routine of work but always find myself thinking I deserve a beer after a long week at work etc

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 9:44 

I don't particularly struggle with weight, I've been 70 kilos plus or minus 2 kilos for twenty odd years. I just prefer it when I'm feeling fitter and walking by itself doesn't really do it for me, I do walk each day at lunchtime as well but unless I do something that gets my heart rate right up then I feel as though I've not done anything.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 10:11 
Excellent Member

asfish wrote:
Also booze was a shock as well.

Aye, that was my biggest lesson from the months I spent tracking my calorie intake recently. During the week I run a relatively large calorie deficit but as soon as I go to the pub of a weekend that's it all blown to shit and is probably the reason why my weight loss has frustratingly plateaued. I'm cutting my drinking down anyway because these days, especially with the CFS, a hangover just kills me with fatigue but hopefully cutting out that massive calorie spike--plus the extra activity I'll hopefully be able to do of a weekend due to not being hungover--will bring some differences.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 23:43 
Sleepyhead

I can't get rid of my big fat belly (mainly because I eat a lot of shit, probably), and I don't seem to be any fitter in terms of running at the moment.

I am, however, noticeably stronger. So at least that's something from the agony my MMA trainer puts me through.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 0:18 

Curiosity wrote:
I can't get rid of my big fat belly (mainly because I eat a lot of shit, probably), and I don't seem to be any fitter in terms of running at the moment.

I am, however, noticeably stronger. So at least that's something from the agony my MMA trainer puts me through.

That is good

My body seems to just ache all the time

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 4:32 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:05 
Excellent Member

Got on the scales yesterday, a day before my weekly weigh in and had lost 8lbs

We had a load of people round yesterday and I had a burger and a couple of ciders, all within the calorie count but I feel a bit bloated this morning

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:11 

Well done :)

(not on the burger and beer) :)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 10:59 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

markg wrote:
My latest idea is I'm going to set up my rowing machine in the garage and then re-watch all of Breaking Bad, while rowing, perhaps at the rate of half an hour a day or so. According to my gym bunny colleague a rowing machine is very good all round exercise. Going to get out running again too.

Hook it up to a generator that powers the TV (like the battery charger in series 2!) and you'll have to row!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 14:59 
Gogmagog

Against the run of tradition, I went on a bike ride. I took RED BIKE out because it is a MOUNTAIN BIKE and has lower gears to CONQUER ESCARPMENTS and stuff. 18 long miles I toiled around the old pack horse trails and saw some people. I thought I saw a zebra at one stage, but as I got closer, it was a horse wearing a fancy coat, so that was a massive disappointment 'nall.

Attachment:
20150816_125018.jpg

This bit was really, really nice. And i liked it very much indeed.
Attachment:
20150816_120946.jpg

This is Altar Lane. It is a big hill. It is steep at the beginning, then flattens a little bit, then steepens, then steepens some more and then just relents a little. I was using a 22x32 and that wasn't enough. At all. Still, as a marker for progress, it'll be good. Onwards and upwards and not only halfway when you stop because you think you are going to faint. Rule 5 and all that. Just checked, that was my worst ever time up the hill.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 7:14 
Excellent Member

Lost 11lbs in 2 weeks, running once or twice a week and also getting 13000-20000 steps a day in

Trying to aim for 20000 a day now

Keeping a diary of what I eat and most days with the exercise have a 1000 calories over.

Consuming less booze and fruit but not going diet mad, had drinks at home at the weekend and went to Loch Fyne last night and had chips!

Think I will see less dramatic results from weight loss this week as this will settle down, also have a big night out in London to navigate with my brother this Friday

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 7:53 

asfish wrote:
Lost 11lbs in 2 weeks, running once or twice a week and also getting 13000-20000 steps a day in

Trying to aim for 20000 a day now

Keeping a diary of what I eat and most days with the exercise have a 1000 calories over.

Consuming less booze and fruit but not going diet mad, had drinks at home at the weekend and went to Loch Fyne last night and had chips!

Think I will see less dramatic results from weight loss this week as this will settle down, also have a big night out in London to navigate with my brother this Friday

That is really good.. well done.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 15:53 
UltraMod

I've noticeably put on a bit of weight in the time I was off sick and I want to get fit for baseball next season, so I've decided to start running again. I've not done this in earnest for a few years, so I'm pretty happy with my first run - sub-30m 5K.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 20:25 
Soopah red DS

Nice work - that looks a little light on the calories (as in - understated, if anything - seems a bit harsh) so I think you can have an extra pat on the back for the effort you put in.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 7:03 
Isn't that lovely?

JBR wrote:
Nice work - that looks a little light on the calories (as in - understated, if anything - seems a bit harsh) so I think you can have an extra pat on the back for the effort you put in.

Yeah, I was thinking that. I know you're probably lighter than me, but I did a 10 mile ish hike with my 12 year old son on Monday and Strava said that came in at over 2000 calories! I know I gained a fair amount of altitude too, but still it's not going to be 6* the calorie burn from only 3 times the distance traveled (and running consumes more calories than walking anyway)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 7:35 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Running didn't consume as many more calories than walking as you might think.

http://www.runnersworld.com/peak-perfor ... l-you-burn

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 8:10 
Isn't that lovely?

That's about what I thought actually.

running burns more because with each step you are lifting your body further from the floor than walking and is slightly less efficient. Other than that, it doesn't really matter how fast you go, just how far.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 8:13 
UltraMod

Grim... wrote:
Running didn't consume as many more calories than walking as you might think.

http://www.runnersworld.com/peak-perfor ... l-you-burn

cals/min is very important there, as I only have about 30-60 mins per day to exercise. It's three times as much. If I wanted to burn off the same calories I'd have to walk for more than 1.5 hours.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 8:16 
Excellent Member

Lost 15lbs to date, loss has slowed to around 2lb a week, if I have a larger day over a weekend then I may gain a 1Lb but I loose that and another by the middle of the next week.

Feel a lot better more energy etc and don't feel like I'm sacrificing much in food and drink, have a beer or a burger now and again just not all the time!

Looking to ditch another 15Lbs so hopefully will be close by the end of the year

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 9:01 
UltraMod

From the same website, so :shrug:

http://www.runnersworld.com/weight-loss ... eight-loss

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 9:15 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Future Warrior wrote:

The first article was also saying that running was better than walking - but it had comparisons of the calorie burn.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 10:51 
Soopah red DS

Yeah, as a rule of thumb, you'll burn more calories the faster you run, and slightly more running than walking*, but that's not the only place you make a difference - if you run 5k in 30 minutes, and someone else walks it in 60, you will burn similar numbers of calories over the 5k. But the runner then has another 30 minutes burning calories, even if they're just sitting down. Plus for some of that resting 30mins, they'll have an elevated heart rate and metabolism.

*the difference is greater than I thought, from that article.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 11:15 

markg wrote:

You should hook it up to power your TV set-up, so you have to row at a rate high enough to power the output :D

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 11:16 

Grim... wrote:
markg wrote:

Hook it up to a generator that powers the TV (like the battery charger in series 2!) and you'll have to row!

Shhhhh...

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 14:16 
UltraMod

I am going for a run then having a baseball batting session straight after.

Pray for me

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 17:51 
Soopah red DS

OMG, etc. Good luck. Or, given that it's now several hours after your post - I hope you are collapsed in a chair somewhere that isn't an emergency medical facility.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 7:53 

Did Myp make it back, #findMyp

:)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 8:07 
Sleepyhead

KovacsC wrote:
Did Myp make it back, #findMyp

:)

Unfortunately he did

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 8:08 
UltraMod

Yes, I survived. Then played baseball again yesterday. Going for another run after work.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 8:18 

excellent..

I am sore after my swim last night.

In 50 mins I did:-

200m warm up

4 x 50 (20 seconds rest between sets)
4 x 50 (10 seconds)
4 x 50 (5 seconds)

4 x 75 (20 Seconds)
2 x 100 (10 Seconds)
2 x 50 (5 seconds)

I think I am ready for the swimming part of my tri now

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 15:16 
a creature of fathomless grace

Just finished my first ever triathlon!!!!

Given that I only started to learn how to ride a bike in April, and I hate running with a passion, I genuinely never thought I would ever see the day - I am no longer a totally useless sporty person! WHOOP!

Tired now.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 15:27 
Gogmagog

Well done!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 18:36 
Excellent Member

[quote]Just finished my first ever triathlon!!!!

Given that I only started to learn how to ride a bike in April, and I hate running with a passion, I genuinely never thought I would ever see the day - I am no longer a totally useless sporty person! WHOOP!

Tired now.[/quote

I know I will never do this, so well done,an excellent effort.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 8:14 

It seems a weekend of 1st triathlons.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 20:12 
Excellent Member

Down to 13 stone 11lbs now, but its getting harder to keep the 2lbs a week drop now.

Having a few drinks on a weekend now, thinking I've got over confident about these calories.

Also the nights are drawing in and my son wants to walk now when we go out on a weekend, so 3 months ago I would go out for 3 hours with him in the pram and stop at parks etc whilst still getting loads of steps in, now its still 3 hours with him walking and stopping every 10 minutes to look at something or play on the floor with his car :D So weekend has become a real struggle to get the same steps in

So on the wagon now until Xmas and doing more in the week.

Filled my car boot with clothes today, a load of 36 inch and some 38 inch "January" trousers among other things as part of a overall junk clearance at home. I'm never going back, I'm 34 and need a belt now

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 20:20 
a creature of fathomless grace

Well done you! Keep going, even though it's getting harder - that just means you've gone really far :)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 22:00 
Hibernating Druid

Down to 78.5kg now. Waist size down from 36 to 33.

I wouldn't recommend anyone follow my weight loss program though. :D

Hopefully lose a little more on my tum n tits then keep myself that way. Keep thinking of doing a fun run or something next year depending on how my recovery continues.

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 22:06 

Don't lose your boobs: they're your best bit.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 22:19 
Hibernating Druid

You'll have to make do with my inner beauty. You've got Russ's boobs now anyway.

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:04 

IT'S JUST NOT THE SAME!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 7:35 
Excellent Member

Lost 2 Stone 3 lbs now.

Waist is between 34 and 32. Smallest trousers I have are 34 and I need a belt for those.

Taking today off for a few reasons including taking my son to the local fun pool. Found my swimming shorts no longer fitted so bought some new ones yesterday

My size in these is now medium, can't remember the last time I was a medium anything clothes wise :D

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 10:55 

That is awesome...

it is great when all your clothes are too big, expensive but great.

Reply to topic  [ 4062 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46 ... 82  Next