Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 4062 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33 ... 82  Next
 Post subject: Re: Middle Age Spread
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:54 
EvilTrousers

Trousers wrote:
It's amazing how much a relatively small break can set you back.

I did a second session last night (so 48hours+ since last session) and my tits told me "not happening matey" so I had to give up on the chest stuff.

It's only been two weeks off and I did less reps on my return session. Being old is shit. Proper shit.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:56 
Master of dodgy spelling....

My swimming is coming on great. Just got to get my fitness.

Can't wait to get on my road bike.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:21 
EvilTrousers

When's your first Triathlon fella or are you doing a Duathlon first?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 13:39 
Awesome
Yes

Trousers wrote:
Trousers wrote:

I did a second session last night (so 48hours+ since last session) and my tits told me "not happening matey" so I had to give up on the chest stuff.

It's only been two weeks off and I did less reps on my return session. Being old is shit. Proper shit.

You're not old.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 14:10 
EvilTrousers

Mr Russell wrote:
Trousers wrote:
Trousers wrote:

You're not old.

You try telling that to my bones / muscles / and more importantly - hair.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 17:02 

Trousers wrote:
When's your first Triathlon fella or are you doing a Duathlon first?

Going to aim for next year.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 18:00 
ugvm'er at heart...

First parkrun this morning, it was really good fun :)

Came fourth from last though, as I was babysitting Kate's 11yr old brother, and he was having none of this running shit :D so it ended up as a walk for me. I plan on going again next week and seeing what I can actually do it in, I'd hope for 35mins but would be pleased with sub 40 to be honest. We did it in 54 minutes walking 4.5k of it, so sub 40 should be easily on the cards.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 19:08 

you should be faster than me, you have less mass :)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 19:41 
Sleepyhead

Trooper wrote:

Came fourth from last though, as I was babysitting Kate's 11yr old brother, and he was having none of this running shit :D so it ended up as a walk for me. I plan on going again next week and seeing what I can actually do it in, I'd hope for 35mins but would be pleased with sub 40 to be honest. We did it in 54 minutes walking 4.5k of it, so sub 40 should be easily on the cards.

I am going to do a sub-30 minute one before the year is out. I'm aiming for 25 minutes, but 30 is still success.

At the moment I can run about twenty yards before feeling like death.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 20:06 
Isn't that lovely?

I think my natural walking pace is about 4 miles an hour, so I think I could walk 3 miles (5Km) in about 45 minutes (I used to do the 2 mile walk to work from the bus stop in just under half an hour).

I was always a sprinter, rather than long distance running, so I don't know what I could do running wise, it would probably be longer as I'd collapse after 100m!

Malc

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 21:12 
ugvm'er at heart...

Curiosity wrote:
Trooper wrote:

I am going to do a sub-30 minute one before the year is out. I'm aiming for 25 minutes, but 30 is still success.

Sub 30 is the real target, but that will be a little while coming I suspect. This is the first running I've done since I did the couch to 5k thing the first time.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 22:48 
Sleepyhead

Trooper wrote:
Curiosity wrote:
Trooper wrote:

Sub 30 is the real target, but that will be a little while coming I suspect. This is the first running I've done since I did the couch to 5k thing the first time.

You should be fine. I've still never got past Week Five of it, ever.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 23:11 
Soopah red DS

More parkrunning! Well done, the more of you/us that have a go, the better. Well done, and on a hot and tough day, too. There will be a sweet spot in autumn/early winter when with a bit of luck you'll hit fitness and lightness and whizz round one.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 23:24 
Legendary Boogeyman

Trooper wrote:

Going is the main thing, and you'll probably find that the mere presence of people around you pushes you to much faster times than you'll ever achieve running by yourself.

I know it's not a race, and that I can't win, but that doesn't stop me putting on a practically vomit-inducing sprint on the finishing straight to overtake as many people as possible. That's after I've been pushing hard the whole time to keep my position. Weird but useful!

Anyway, sub-30 will come. I did loads of 5ks back when I first started and I remember coughing up a lung to get a time of 30:24 or something, but now if I didn't run around 25 minutes I'd be quite annoyed. You'll get there :)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 18:49 
ugvm'er at heart...

Did the same route tonight on my own. According to the stopwatch 37m 59s :)

However, according to the inbuilt tracker in ZombiesRun (using the high accuracy GPS mode) I did 7km in 37m 59s, which synced up to runkeeper and on runkeeper apparently I did 6.18k in 39m. Yesterday on the same route runkeeper thought I did 5.74k...
I think i'll trust the parkrun guys as to the true distance, and the stopwatch as to the true time!

Interesting how the different apps interpret the data, and some seem more accurate than others. I just assumed they took the data provided by the phone and didn't muck about with it, but that can't be the case if ZombiesRun and Runkeeper show different times and distances from exactly the same source data.

I'm going to do some science and use different tracking apps each time I do the run, and see which once comes closest to being accurate. I wasn't expect them to be completely accurate, but I was expecting them to be better than this. It's not like i'm running in a built up area, the run is around a lakeside. A few tree covered bits but nothing too dense.

What do you guys use? I was going to try Nike+, Endomodo and Strava. Assuming they all do running tracking.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 19:01 
Gogmagog

Strava

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 19:51 
Legendary Boogeyman

I still use my trusty Garmin Forerunner 305. Going strong after 7 years.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 19:53 
ugvm'er at heart...

ElephantBanjoGnome wrote:
I still use my trusty Garmin Forerunner 305. Going strong after 7 years.

I've got one of those too, which I can bring out of retirement. The only problem with that though is that you need to use the godawful garmin connect software and website. :)

Oh, and it takes about half an hour to find any satellites! :D

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 20:08 
Soopah red DS

You don't have to use garmin connect. I don't mind the website-and it has changed a lot recently, so maybe have a look. But Sporttracks is highly recommended by friends for PC, and I love Rubitracks (costs wonga, though) on the mac.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 21:36 
Legendary Boogeyman

Yeah I turn mine on well in advance of actually wanting to run anywhere. With phone GPS being pretty good I'm not sure if I'd buy another GPS watch now... I can't find any really good comparisonsor particular criticisms of phone accuracy to make me think a new watch is worth it.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 21:45 

Phone accuracy is fine, you only need to look at the trace on a map to see how the data is. I still use my forerunner watch though, I don't fancy running with my phone, it's just too bulky.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 21:47 
ugvm'er at heart...

I use my phone to listen to music, so I have it on me anyway. I'll try the garmin next time as well and compare the phone to it.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 23:28 
Legendary Boogeyman

The watch isn't perfect by any means. Sometimes the map looks bang on, and other times, regardless of how long I leave it to detect satellites initially, it shows me running 50 yards north of where I really am, or I drift all over the place.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:37 
EvilTrousers

Went for a walk yesterday on the sandstone trail near Beeston castle. Wore totally inadequate footwear but I managed to outlast a dog with my fitness (ok the dog is older than me in dog years but still eh) and could have gone for a lot longer. So I am making some progress with my aerobic fitness outside of the weights.

Going to go back without the dogs at some point for a longer trek and this time remember the memory card for my camera. That was gutting getting it out and reading the display and going "OOOOH BOLLOCKS - it's in the laptop".

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:26 
Soopah red DS

The watch isn't perfect by any means. Sometimes the map looks bang on, and other times, regardless of how long I leave it to detect satellites initially, it shows me running 50 yards north of where I really am, or I drift all over the place.

I think that's GPS in general, I wouldn't expect a phone to necessarily be better, though I guess the newer the GPS receiver, the more accurate it's capable of being. I've a garmin 405 which has mostly been excellent, though some tracks are a series of very straight lines that I clearly never ran, and I really wasn't in the sea that time, officer.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:30 
Gogmagog

Strava on my S2 and my friends Garmin agreed to within a good tolerance when we cycled 160+ miles.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:35 

JBR wrote:

I think that's GPS in general, I wouldn't expect a phone to necessarily be better, though I guess the newer the GPS receiver, the more accurate it's capable of being. I've a garmin 405 which has mostly been excellent, though some tracks are a series of very straight lines that I clearly never ran, and I really wasn't in the sea that time, officer.

Yeah, all GPS can be affected by thick cloud or say a narrow street with tall buildings. Some receivers definitely keep a lock better than others under difficult circumstances, though.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:53 
ugvm'er at heart...

markg wrote:
JBR wrote:

Yeah, all GPS can be affected by thick cloud or say a narrow street with tall buildings. Some receivers definitely keep a lock better than others under difficult circumstances, though.

And, as proved by my experience yesterday, how the client interprets the GPS data seems to be a big factor too.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:02 
Sleepyhead

I actually changed my usual route as the quick short cut at the start of the run confuses my GPS and it assumes I ran the long way round. Either that or I did do the first kilometre in 19 seconds.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:03 

Trooper wrote:
markg wrote:
JBR wrote:

And, as proved by my experience yesterday, how the client interprets the GPS data seems to be a big factor too.

Yeah, I must confess that I've never seen that, though. GPS data isn't complicated so that's some wonky stuff going on.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:04 
Isn't that lovely?

I gave up on using Strava in Ivybridge, because it doesn't work well through the trees:

Attachment:
bad GPS.JPG

at no point did I cross the river

Malc

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 14:05 
Paws for thought

Indeed, I can't be bothered with gps tracking or anything. I'm not exactly running to beat a time as much as for some supposed health benefits. (Also: Because the CEO of the company called my 5K time pathetic, but well...)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 14:09 
Legendary Boogeyman

Wow, what a twat. I'd never knock anyone that was running, at any speed, because at least they're out there doing it.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 14:16 

A run is a run... not every one is fast. I am slow

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 14:19 
ugvm'er at heart...

Wow, what a twat. I'd never knock anyone that was running, at any speed, because at least they're out there doing it.

:this: I know my time is pathetic, I don't need other people to remind me :D

As this blogger said, "Hey, fat girl".

http://flintland.blogspot.co.uk/2012/05 ... -girl.html

Quote:
Yes, you. The one feigning to not see me when we cross paths on the running track. The one not even wearing sports gear, breathing heavy. You’re slow, you breathe hard and your efforts at moving forward make you cringe.

You cling shyly to the furthest corridor, sometimes making larger loops on the gravel ring by the track just so you’re not on it. You sweat so much that your hair is all wet. You rarely stay for more than 20 minutes at a time, and you look exhausted when you leave to go back home. You never talk to anyone. I’ve got something I’d like to say to you.

You are awesome.

If you’d look me in the eye only for an instant, you would notice the reverence and respect I have for you. The adventure you have started is tremendous; it leads to a better health, to renewed confidence and to a brand new kind of freedom. The gifts you will receive from running will far exceed the gigantic effort it takes you to show up here, to face your fears and to bravely set yourself in motion, in front of others.

You have already begun your transformation. You no longer accept this physical state of numbness and passivity. You have taken a difficult decision, but one that holds so much promise. Every hard breath you take is actually a tad easier than the one before, and every step is ever so slightly lighter. Each push forward leaves the former person you were in your wake, creating room for an improved version, one that is stronger, healthier and forward-looking, one who knows that anything is possible.

You’re a hero to me. And, if you’d take off the blaring headphones and put your head up for more than a second or two, you would notice that the other runners you cross, the ones that probably make you feel so inadequate, stare in awe at your determination. They, of all people, know best where you are coming from. They heard the resolutions of so many others, who vowed to pick up running and improve their health, “starting next week”. Yet, it is YOU who runs alongside, who digs from deep inside to find the strength to come here, and to come back again.

You are a runner, and no one can take that away from you. You are relentlessly moving forward. You are stronger than even you think, and you are about to be amazed by what you can do. One day, very soon, maybe tomorrow, you’ll step outside and marvel at your capabilities. You will not believe your own body, you will realize that you can do this. And a new horizon will open up for you. You are a true inspiration.

I bow to you.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 14:20 
Paws for thought

In the context of the conversation, it wasn't twatish. Not overly encouraging, but something of a shared joke.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 14:23 
Paws for thought

(I should also add that the times are about 27-28 mins, so while not blistering, not actually that slow. So again, context)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 14:24 
ugvm'er at heart...

Mr Dave wrote:
(I should also add that the times are about 27-28 mins, so while not blistering, not actually that slow. So again, context)

Hey, are you calling me slow? You bastard.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 14:26 
Soopah red DS

markg wrote:
Trooper wrote:
markg wrote:
JBR wrote:

Yeah, I must confess that I've never seen that, though. GPS data isn't complicated so that's some wonky stuff going on.

Oh yeah, absolutely - when I changed to Rubitracks I was surprised to see distances changing, but they explain why their calculations differ at http://www.rubitrack.com/faq.html. Apparently,
Quote:
Garmin Training Center (and others) use the device-calculated averages and absolute values (like distance, duration and average heart rate) unverified. This often leads to a displayed distance that does not agree with the GPS data.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 14:27 
Legendary Boogeyman

Mr Dave wrote:

I could kick yo ass. By maybe a couple of minutes. So, erm, in your face?

Actually if I finish in the top 1/3 of the parkrun (which is usually something like 150th), I'm pretty happy.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 14:29 
Paws for thought

Trooper wrote:
Mr Dave wrote:

I have no idea what times you run, the type of surface you run on, nor the level off hilliness you have to run over, so No. I'm not.

You slow git.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 14:30 
Soopah red DS

Mr Dave wrote:

Actually if I finish in the top 1/3 of the parkrun (which is usually something like 150th), I'm pretty happy.

You're running Edinburgh, though, aren't you? Most don't have that sort of depth - a friend of mine is often first lady at parkruns, was at Edinburgh this weekend and was over a minute behind the first. Her bloke's quicker - than her and me - and only made the first 20. Not that I'd recommend heading for a quieter one necessarily, but sometimes it's a nice, harmless ego boost.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 14:32 
Gogmagog

Mr Dave wrote:
Trooper wrote:
Mr Dave wrote:

I have no idea what times you run, the type of surface you run on, nor the level off hilliness you have to run over, so No. I'm not.

You slow git.

"I'm tapering"

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 14:35 
ugvm'er at heart...

JBR wrote:
Mr Dave wrote:

You're running Edinburgh, though, aren't you? Most don't have that sort of depth - a friend of mine is often first lady at parkruns, was at Edinburgh this weekend and was over a minute behind the first. Her bloke's quicker - than her and me - and only made the first 20. Not that I'd recommend heading for a quieter one necessarily, but sometimes it's a nice, harmless ego boost.

My local one (get me, i've been to one parkrun and now it is "my local" :D) Averages around 450 runners apparently.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 14:37 
ugvm'er at heart...

JBR wrote:

Oh yeah, absolutely - when I changed to Rubitracks I was surprised to see distances changing, but they explain why their calculations differ at http://www.rubitrack.com/faq.html. Apparently,
Quote:
Garmin Training Center (and others) use the device-calculated averages and absolute values (like distance, duration and average heart rate) unverified. This often leads to a displayed distance that does not agree with the GPS data.

That probably explains how my top speed on my last run was listed as 80kph then :D

Rubitracks looks... comprehensive! How much is it?

edit : £25. I'll have a look at the basic version tonight.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 14:42 
Soopah red DS

Trooper wrote:
JBR wrote:

Quote:

That probably explains how my top speed on my last run was listed as 80kph then :D

Rubitracks looks... comprehensive! How much is it?

Not cheap! £27 or 27.99, I think - I saved a fiver by getting a discounted itunes voucher. But I do have a lot of data in there and was swayed by the prettiness.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 15:13 
Legendary Boogeyman

JBR wrote:
You're running Edinburgh, though, aren't you? Most don't have that sort of depth

Aye, apparently we boast one of the biggest in the UK. That's why I say Top 1/3rd rather than top, say, 50. It's slow at the start with the crush of people, but it spreads out fast enough. It would be better if the slow people didn't choose to start at the front and then get in the way as they quickly fall behind.

I did a run in Dublin last year - it was only their 9th event or something so was much quieter. Harder course though, and one fucker kept on cutting the same corner to overtake me. I ran the true course with honour! Grrr ;)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 15:38 
ugvm'er at heart...

JBR wrote:
You're running Edinburgh, though, aren't you? Most don't have that sort of depth

Aye, apparently we boast one of the biggest in the UK. That's why I say Top 1/3rd rather than top, say, 50. It's slow at the start with the crush of people, but it spreads out fast enough. It would be better if the slow people didn't choose to start at the front and then get in the way as they quickly fall behind.

I did a run in Dublin last year - it was only their 9th event or something so was much quieter. Harder course though, and one fucker kept on cutting the same corner to overtake me. I ran the true course with honour! Grrr ;)

This is the MK run

http://runkeeper.com/user/trooperlooper/route/3297985

It's a nice run in the morning, less so yesterday afternoon when the international festival was on at the same time as I was running! :)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 16:41 
Soopah red DS

I've been there. I've been to many of them, in fact - different one every weekend, when I can. I ran MK in reasonable shape, behind a few of the runners near the front. But not the one at the front; Tim Don, just about the first triathlete to also be able to compete with runners. He had to stop to tie his shoelace and still set a course record.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 19:50 
ugvm'er at heart...

Trooper wrote:
Did the same route tonight on my own. According to the stopwatch 37m 59s :)

However, according to the inbuilt tracker in ZombiesRun (using the high accuracy GPS mode) I did 7km in 37m 59s, which synced up to runkeeper and on runkeeper apparently I did 6.18k in 39m. Yesterday on the same route runkeeper thought I did 5.74k...
I think i'll trust the parkrun guys as to the true distance, and the stopwatch as to the true time!

Interesting how the different apps interpret the data, and some seem more accurate than others. I just assumed they took the data provided by the phone and didn't muck about with it, but that can't be the case if ZombiesRun and Runkeeper show different times and distances from exactly the same source data.

I'm going to do some science and use different tracking apps each time I do the run, and see which once comes closest to being accurate. I wasn't expect them to be completely accurate, but I was expecting them to be better than this. It's not like i'm running in a built up area, the run is around a lakeside. A few tree covered bits but nothing too dense.

What do you guys use? I was going to try Nike+, Endomodo and Strava. Assuming they all do running tracking.

Ok, so i've just imported exactly the same data into rubitrack from runkeeper. Rubitrack says I ran 4.91k in 31m 21s :D

Reply to topic  [ 4062 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33 ... 82  Next