Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 4059 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34 ... 82  Next
 Post subject: Re: Middle Age Spread
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:04 
Isn't that lovely?

I gave up on using Strava in Ivybridge, because it doesn't work well through the trees:

Attachment:
bad GPS.JPG

at no point did I cross the river

Malc

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 14:05 
Paws for thought

Indeed, I can't be bothered with gps tracking or anything. I'm not exactly running to beat a time as much as for some supposed health benefits. (Also: Because the CEO of the company called my 5K time pathetic, but well...)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 14:09 
Legendary Boogeyman

Wow, what a twat. I'd never knock anyone that was running, at any speed, because at least they're out there doing it.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 14:16 
Master of dodgy spelling....

A run is a run... not every one is fast. I am slow

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 14:19 
ugvm'er at heart...

ElephantBanjoGnome wrote:
Wow, what a twat. I'd never knock anyone that was running, at any speed, because at least they're out there doing it.

:this: I know my time is pathetic, I don't need other people to remind me :D

As this blogger said, "Hey, fat girl".

http://flintland.blogspot.co.uk/2012/05 ... -girl.html

Quote:
Yes, you. The one feigning to not see me when we cross paths on the running track. The one not even wearing sports gear, breathing heavy. You’re slow, you breathe hard and your efforts at moving forward make you cringe.

You cling shyly to the furthest corridor, sometimes making larger loops on the gravel ring by the track just so you’re not on it. You sweat so much that your hair is all wet. You rarely stay for more than 20 minutes at a time, and you look exhausted when you leave to go back home. You never talk to anyone. I’ve got something I’d like to say to you.

You are awesome.

If you’d look me in the eye only for an instant, you would notice the reverence and respect I have for you. The adventure you have started is tremendous; it leads to a better health, to renewed confidence and to a brand new kind of freedom. The gifts you will receive from running will far exceed the gigantic effort it takes you to show up here, to face your fears and to bravely set yourself in motion, in front of others.

You have already begun your transformation. You no longer accept this physical state of numbness and passivity. You have taken a difficult decision, but one that holds so much promise. Every hard breath you take is actually a tad easier than the one before, and every step is ever so slightly lighter. Each push forward leaves the former person you were in your wake, creating room for an improved version, one that is stronger, healthier and forward-looking, one who knows that anything is possible.

You’re a hero to me. And, if you’d take off the blaring headphones and put your head up for more than a second or two, you would notice that the other runners you cross, the ones that probably make you feel so inadequate, stare in awe at your determination. They, of all people, know best where you are coming from. They heard the resolutions of so many others, who vowed to pick up running and improve their health, “starting next week”. Yet, it is YOU who runs alongside, who digs from deep inside to find the strength to come here, and to come back again.

You are a runner, and no one can take that away from you. You are relentlessly moving forward. You are stronger than even you think, and you are about to be amazed by what you can do. One day, very soon, maybe tomorrow, you’ll step outside and marvel at your capabilities. You will not believe your own body, you will realize that you can do this. And a new horizon will open up for you. You are a true inspiration.

I bow to you.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 14:20 
Paws for thought

In the context of the conversation, it wasn't twatish. Not overly encouraging, but something of a shared joke.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 14:23 
Paws for thought

(I should also add that the times are about 27-28 mins, so while not blistering, not actually that slow. So again, context)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 14:24 
ugvm'er at heart...

Mr Dave wrote:
(I should also add that the times are about 27-28 mins, so while not blistering, not actually that slow. So again, context)

Hey, are you calling me slow? You bastard.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 14:26 
Soopah red DS

markg wrote:
Trooper wrote:
markg wrote:
JBR wrote:
The watch isn't perfect by any means. Sometimes the map looks bang on, and other times, regardless of how long I leave it to detect satellites initially, it shows me running 50 yards north of where I really am, or I drift all over the place.

I think that's GPS in general, I wouldn't expect a phone to necessarily be better, though I guess the newer the GPS receiver, the more accurate it's capable of being. I've a garmin 405 which has mostly been excellent, though some tracks are a series of very straight lines that I clearly never ran, and I really wasn't in the sea that time, officer.

Yeah, all GPS can be affected by thick cloud or say a narrow street with tall buildings. Some receivers definitely keep a lock better than others under difficult circumstances, though.

And, as proved by my experience yesterday, how the client interprets the GPS data seems to be a big factor too.

Yeah, I must confess that I've never seen that, though. GPS data isn't complicated so that's some wonky stuff going on.

Oh yeah, absolutely - when I changed to Rubitracks I was surprised to see distances changing, but they explain why their calculations differ at http://www.rubitrack.com/faq.html. Apparently,
Quote:
Garmin Training Center (and others) use the device-calculated averages and absolute values (like distance, duration and average heart rate) unverified. This often leads to a displayed distance that does not agree with the GPS data.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 14:27 
Legendary Boogeyman

Mr Dave wrote:

I could kick yo ass. By maybe a couple of minutes. So, erm, in your face?

Actually if I finish in the top 1/3 of the parkrun (which is usually something like 150th), I'm pretty happy.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 14:29 
Paws for thought

Trooper wrote:
Mr Dave wrote:

I have no idea what times you run, the type of surface you run on, nor the level off hilliness you have to run over, so No. I'm not.

You slow git.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 14:30 
Soopah red DS

Mr Dave wrote:

Actually if I finish in the top 1/3 of the parkrun (which is usually something like 150th), I'm pretty happy.

You're running Edinburgh, though, aren't you? Most don't have that sort of depth - a friend of mine is often first lady at parkruns, was at Edinburgh this weekend and was over a minute behind the first. Her bloke's quicker - than her and me - and only made the first 20. Not that I'd recommend heading for a quieter one necessarily, but sometimes it's a nice, harmless ego boost.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 14:32 
Gogmagog

Mr Dave wrote:
Trooper wrote:
Mr Dave wrote:

I have no idea what times you run, the type of surface you run on, nor the level off hilliness you have to run over, so No. I'm not.

You slow git.

"I'm tapering"

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 14:35 
ugvm'er at heart...

JBR wrote:
Mr Dave wrote:

You're running Edinburgh, though, aren't you? Most don't have that sort of depth - a friend of mine is often first lady at parkruns, was at Edinburgh this weekend and was over a minute behind the first. Her bloke's quicker - than her and me - and only made the first 20. Not that I'd recommend heading for a quieter one necessarily, but sometimes it's a nice, harmless ego boost.

My local one (get me, i've been to one parkrun and now it is "my local" :D) Averages around 450 runners apparently.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 14:37 
ugvm'er at heart...

JBR wrote:

Oh yeah, absolutely - when I changed to Rubitracks I was surprised to see distances changing, but they explain why their calculations differ at http://www.rubitrack.com/faq.html. Apparently,
Quote:
Garmin Training Center (and others) use the device-calculated averages and absolute values (like distance, duration and average heart rate) unverified. This often leads to a displayed distance that does not agree with the GPS data.

That probably explains how my top speed on my last run was listed as 80kph then :D

Rubitracks looks... comprehensive! How much is it?

edit : £25. I'll have a look at the basic version tonight.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 14:42 
Soopah red DS

Trooper wrote:
JBR wrote:

Quote:

That probably explains how my top speed on my last run was listed as 80kph then :D

Rubitracks looks... comprehensive! How much is it?

Not cheap! £27 or 27.99, I think - I saved a fiver by getting a discounted itunes voucher. But I do have a lot of data in there and was swayed by the prettiness.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 15:13 
Legendary Boogeyman

JBR wrote:
You're running Edinburgh, though, aren't you? Most don't have that sort of depth

Aye, apparently we boast one of the biggest in the UK. That's why I say Top 1/3rd rather than top, say, 50. It's slow at the start with the crush of people, but it spreads out fast enough. It would be better if the slow people didn't choose to start at the front and then get in the way as they quickly fall behind.

I did a run in Dublin last year - it was only their 9th event or something so was much quieter. Harder course though, and one fucker kept on cutting the same corner to overtake me. I ran the true course with honour! Grrr ;)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 15:38 
ugvm'er at heart...

JBR wrote:
You're running Edinburgh, though, aren't you? Most don't have that sort of depth

Aye, apparently we boast one of the biggest in the UK. That's why I say Top 1/3rd rather than top, say, 50. It's slow at the start with the crush of people, but it spreads out fast enough. It would be better if the slow people didn't choose to start at the front and then get in the way as they quickly fall behind.

I did a run in Dublin last year - it was only their 9th event or something so was much quieter. Harder course though, and one fucker kept on cutting the same corner to overtake me. I ran the true course with honour! Grrr ;)

This is the MK run

http://runkeeper.com/user/trooperlooper/route/3297985

It's a nice run in the morning, less so yesterday afternoon when the international festival was on at the same time as I was running! :)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 16:41 
Soopah red DS

I've been there. I've been to many of them, in fact - different one every weekend, when I can. I ran MK in reasonable shape, behind a few of the runners near the front. But not the one at the front; Tim Don, just about the first triathlete to also be able to compete with runners. He had to stop to tie his shoelace and still set a course record.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 19:50 
ugvm'er at heart...

Trooper wrote:
Did the same route tonight on my own. According to the stopwatch 37m 59s :)

However, according to the inbuilt tracker in ZombiesRun (using the high accuracy GPS mode) I did 7km in 37m 59s, which synced up to runkeeper and on runkeeper apparently I did 6.18k in 39m. Yesterday on the same route runkeeper thought I did 5.74k...
I think i'll trust the parkrun guys as to the true distance, and the stopwatch as to the true time!

Interesting how the different apps interpret the data, and some seem more accurate than others. I just assumed they took the data provided by the phone and didn't muck about with it, but that can't be the case if ZombiesRun and Runkeeper show different times and distances from exactly the same source data.

I'm going to do some science and use different tracking apps each time I do the run, and see which once comes closest to being accurate. I wasn't expect them to be completely accurate, but I was expecting them to be better than this. It's not like i'm running in a built up area, the run is around a lakeside. A few tree covered bits but nothing too dense.

What do you guys use? I was going to try Nike+, Endomodo and Strava. Assuming they all do running tracking.

Ok, so i've just imported exactly the same data into rubitrack from runkeeper. Rubitrack says I ran 4.91k in 31m 21s :D

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 20:19 
Soopah red DS

Crikey, you are having significantly more fun with these things than I ever get to! :p Mine is almost always a little shorter in Rubitracks, but by a few metres rather than anything really comical. It helps, I suppose, that my commute is pretty much the same route every day so I could discount any joke results-not that I get any. Plus the non scientific part of my brain believes I am training the garmin to know the route so it can fill in blanks if it stops concentrating for a minute, or something equally nonsensical.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 20:27 
Gogmagog

My strava failed again. Did sub 31 minutes. If I hit the second mile hill harder I reckon on a sub 30 is eeasily done.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 20:28 
Gogmagog

Any tips for running up steep hills or is it just "head down and go anaerobic until you get there"?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 20:46 
Soopah red DS

MaliA wrote:
Any tips for running up steep hills or is it just "head down and go anaerobic until you get there"?

Pump the arms and shorten your stride. You might think the former comes naturally, but it doesn't. Also, try not to put in greater effort up the hill-the more even you can keep the effort,even though the hill is obviously harder, the better for you, and the more you'll develop. If you're racing it/testing yourself, then get away from any 'phew!' feeling as you crest it. Keep the effort level up instead. If you can increase the effort then the pain passes and you accelerate, away from either people or your previous time.

I tend to not look at the top, either, just picking successive spots a little ahead and running to them. I'm not conquering a hill then, but a series of intermediate spots.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 21:52 
Legendary Boogeyman

JBR wrote:
try not to put in greater effort up the hill

That's my tactic. Aside from raising my legs a little more, my focus is simply on keeping the total effort the same. Obviously I'm much slower up the hill but it makes it much more manageable.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 22:05 
Gogmagog

Ta, I shall try that. Here's the profile of the loop I've been doing in 30 minutes. The steepening at 1.75miles is a fucker.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 22:45 
Soopah red DS

That is a beast of a route-one steepening to tire you out, then the daddy to finish you off. If you can keep a consistent effort on that, you're doing exceptionally. Still, you can try different things if you're doing it several times-plodding up and running free going down, taking it easy on the downs,but working on the ups, etc. Consistent effort for improvement, though-hard on a route like that, but in general, if you can finish thinking not 'phew, buggered now' but more 'that was hard, but I could do more', then all to the good.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:37 

I spontaneously went for a run with Jem last night, my first run since October 2012 (and even then I was only on day 1 of week 2 of Couch to 5K) and somehow, with a little bit of walking mixed in, I managed to do 3.8 miles in 45 minutes.

I'm happy with that.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:49 

That is pretty good...

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:04 
sneering elitist

KovacsC wrote:
That is pretty good...

That's what I said :DD

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:05 

No such thing as a bad run...

Beex is getting fit..

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:06 
sneering elitist

Just got to persuade him to do it again now :p

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:06 
Gogmagog

Jem wrote:
Just got to persuade him to do it again now :p

Encourage him to fly his quadcopter.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:08 

Fasten a gadget to your back...

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:17 
ugvm'er at heart...

Go pro camera + quadcopter + first person view goggles = 3rd person over the shoulder running game, with ultrarealistic controller.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:27 

:DD

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 13:19 

Trooper wrote:
Go pro camera + quadcopter + first person view goggles = 3rd person over the shoulder running game, with ultrarealistic controller.

I actually thought about taking my car to a big empty car park, placing the camera and video transmitter overlooking it and then driving around wearing the goggles so it would be like driving a giant RC car but from inside. I've already tried walking round with the camera but looking through the goggles and pretending to be a terminator. I came to the conclusion that terminators would actually just trip up on things, walk into walls and fall over a lot.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 14:36 
Excellently Membered

I've been using the Garmin Forerunner 110 with the heart rate monitor. I think it's kept me interested in running* as I can see how hard and where I've run in some great detail. The Garmin website's a bit crappy though even with it's redesign.

Running by heart rate also seems to help me control my runs. Although I'm still shit and need to get a few more sessions in.

* coming up to a year of fairly consistent routine.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 21:27 
Sleepyhead

Did another run. Week Five Day Two of C25K. That's the first one with two 8 minute jogs. Went surprisingly easily, to be honest! I think I have learned how to pace myself!

Still just 4k in half an hour, but that's 250 metres more than my last half hour outing.

Next one is on Thursday and is the dreaded 'Run Twenty Minutes' one. That'll test my pacing!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:05 
sneering elitist

So I am:

Running 2-3 times a week

Doing a short workout with planks, squats, star jumps etc most mornings

Restricted calorie diet (circa 1500 most days, occasional binge at ~2000) with no alcohol for the entire of July

Still can't lose any weight :shrug: :(

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:07 

Jem wrote:
So I am:

Running 2-3 times a week

Doing a short workout with planks, squats, star jumps etc most mornings

Restricted calorie diet (circa 1500 most days, occasional binge at ~2000) with no alcohol for the entire of July

Still can't lose any weight :shrug: :(

Weight has little bearing on fitness (I keep telling myself that). I am a lot fitter than I was, but not a lot lighter. The fear for a skydive is not making me want to lose weight.

Well done on the runs, you will have to show me the runs round town.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:10 
sneering elitist

I know, I do keep reminding myself that. I can run an easy 6km or more without stopping now (including bursts of sprinting just to vary things a bit) so it's obviously making a difference but it's making sod all difference to body shape (specifically my wobbly belly) and it's bloody depressing >:|

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:15 

It will in time, I still have a wobbly belly too :)

I can barely do a 5k with out stopping now. The track work with MsKovs tri club has helped a lot, seems to have pushed back the acid build up in my legs now.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 19:48 
Gogmagog

Sub half hour for 3 miles along that route. Getting there.

Now, all I haev to do is flatten out those two peaks and drop the main line a bit. The "pump your arms harder" thing worked well for me, as did "focus on a point a bit in front of you". I did that and imagined elastic pulling me toward it, then onto the next one.

As you can see form the graph, crossing the road, to get to the next bit of the hill I had a bit of a breather, and then again when it kicked up.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 20:36 
Soopah red DS

Nice work. I feel a little lazy - had a day off, totally. Maybe a little running tomorrow.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:20 

I got my 400m swim down to 15 mins. Need to shave off 5 more mins.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 21:29 
Sleepyhead

Oofah!

Did the big step up run today. Longest had been 8 minutes at a time, but I managed the 20 minute one without taking a break. Was pretty comfortable until the last three minutes, which really hurt. Very happy with myself for pushing through.

My half hour covered 4.07km. Average pace 7.23 per k, and that's with one third walking. Once my endurance is up, getting sub-35 should be an absolute doddle. Then the goal is sub-30.

Getting there!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 22:26 

Well done.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 10:45 
ugvm'er at heart...

That was a bit better :) Park run number 2 done, and I stopped my forerunner as I crossed the line dead on 35 minutes! Very pleased with that :) Will have to see what the official time turns out to be.

Uploaded to Garmin and it says I did 5.07km in 35m 08s. Transfer that exact same data across to Nike+ and it says I did just over 5k (it only goes up in 100m increments) in 35m 02s, with a fastest 5k time of 34m 37s.
Unsurprisingly the Garmin is a lot more accurate than the phone was last week. Surprisingly, even with the same more accurate data, the various services still interpret it differently.

I also ran with my heart monitor on this time, and it seems that what my head tells me is my legs seizing up, is actually my heart rate climbing above my personal threshold of "oh shit" which is interesting.
Sub 180bpm i'm pretty comfortable and can just keep going, 180-185bpm is where my head is telling me to stop, but it's possible to ignore it and keep going if I want to. 185-190bpm is painful, but if I manage to block it out I can keep going. 190bpm+ is where I pretty much have to stop.

I managed to run the first 3k without stopping, then had 3 short walks in the final 2k. If I wasn't such a pussy, I'm sure I could run the whole thing, or at least only stop once.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 11:05 

Well done.

I have just done my 2nd park run. I had to walk a bit, still getting too much pain in my calves. Did 5.2km in 33.49, my 3rd best time. A bit disappointed need to put the miles in.

Reply to topic  [ 4059 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34 ... 82  Next