And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 216 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: DayZ - Everyone is banging on about this
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 13:58 
UltraMod

Mr Dave wrote:
If you die, would you respawn?

Yeah, he will. Changing servers won't do anything - you'll appear in the same point with all your inventory and injuries/sickness intact.

Otherwise you could just change servers every time something went wrong.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 14:09 
Bad Girl

Is it possible to force a respawn - otherwise I'm just crawling across the floor with no one around. I can't even find a zombie in a reasonable crawling distance to eat me and finish the job anymore.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 14:13 
Paws for thought

Internet appears to say "leave yourself to starve or similar, no shortcut"

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 14:18 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Can you not just crawl back underwater and drown?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 14:26 
Bad Girl

Cras wrote:
Can you not just crawl back underwater and drown?

Actually, no. No word of a lie, I was under the water for ages until I figured out I was under water. I though that it'd gone screwy on me.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 14:29 
UltraMod

You'll starve or bleed out in about 20 mins, just make a cup of tea and leave it running.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 14:56 
Bad Girl

I shall do this. I'm navigating my way along with the mouse and keys just fine so I think I probably need a couple more hours to get the basics down and I'll be up to speed.

Then I will hunt the peoples like Seagal in Hard to Kill.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 14:59 
8-Bit Champion
Two heads are better than one

Saturnalian wrote:
Then I will hunt the peoples like Seagulls.

FTFY :-)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 15:00 
UltraMod

Saturnalian wrote:
I shall do this. I'm navigating my way along with the mouse and keys just fine so I think I probably need a couple more hours to get the basics down and I'll be up to speed.

Then I will hunt the peoples like Seagal in Hard to Kill.

Safety in numbers. Let me know when you're next on. Assuming we can find each other.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 16:55 
Paws for thought

You may be able to persuade me too, if voice comms are sorted.

Also: Everything I see this thread I'm tempted to create a rival. "Your Mum - Everyone's banging this" (or as my phone wanted to say, Everton is banging this)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 22:58 
Bad Girl

This is happening. Right now.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 23:02 
Bad Girl

Fuck! I couldn't take a picture quick enough!

Two guys were just strolling along with me crawling on the floor - as I was looking down at my phone while holding W down.

Then one hatcheted me in the arsehole.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 23:04 
Paws for thought

Enough about that, we'd rather hear about what's going on in DayZ

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 23:58 
Excellent Member

If you're playing it through Steam there's a key to take proper screenshots, you don't need to keep taking pictures of your TV with your phone like some kind of Luddite savage.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 20:49 
Bad Girl

I hate you.

Anyway, this is a funny old game isn't it? I spent a good hour of near silence creeping around places looking for anything and everything. Most places have been emptied a long time ago but I managed to find some med kits, dry rice, cans of pop, a spade, a fire extinguisher and finally a crow bar (so I can go Half Life on zombies ass). I also found some kit to wear, a big rucksack, a motor cycle helmet, some jeans, a rain coat and so on.

I was making incremental progress along the shore and ventured further inland. First a farm, then the makings of a small village centre. I found no guns or ammo. And every five minutes I was running from feckless zombies. I appreciate it's an Alpha but not one zombie knows the boundaries of the houses and shacks I've been visiting. They regularly clip through walls, through doors, furniture, sometimes they can't do stairs and just stutter through the floor boards until their heads are poking through. They're fine when there's absolutely nothing around but add a little on screen furniture and they spaz out. Plus, it takes forever to kill the bastards with a spade or crowbar. And every encounter has left me bloodied until I've all but exhausted my bandages. I hate those bastards.

They even ran me up a construction frame until I was too afraid to come down, so I turned it off in the hope that next time I boot it up they'll be gone. Bastards.

And for all that I'm now enjoying the lonely quest to find more stuff. I've no idea why though.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 0:07 
Bad Girl

Broken leg. Broken arm. Suicide from 5 foot of scaffolding.

Restart and it's pissing it down and I'm in the middle of a forest.

Are these weather effects new?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 0:21 
Bad Girl

I'm surprisingly into this.

I walk about for an hour, I find lots of tat, I eat some stuff, I drink some stuff, I run for miles. Fack all happens. I run through the woods. It rains. I get wet. It stops raining. I search some shacks. I find a gun. I sometimes find some ammo for other guns that I don't have. I never find a gun and the right ammo. I find a crossbow. I am Daryl from The Walking Dead. I have no crossbow bolts. I walk about a bit. I head for a large tower. I head for a construction sight, I go to the roof and look out at the landscape. Pretty. And empty. I get chased by a zombie. I outrun him easily. I venture into town. I search a couple of buildings. I go to the top floor and into a small kitchen. It's a dead end. I find a hat. THEN SOME FUCKER IS STANDING BEHIND ME NOT MOVING OR SAYING ANYTHING BUT HE'S WEARING A PUPPET MASK AND ITS THE SCARIEST THING IN THE WORLD.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 12:26 
Bad Girl

Did you know that you can now use the Xbox 360 pad to play?

This is true.

It's a bit of a shite workaround though as you still need to be around your mouse and keyboard to move stuff your gear around in the menus, but I prefer it.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 15:12 
Bad Girl

I've read that you can get vehicles and helicopters and stuff in this. I haven't seen anything like this. I need to find a map or something of the area cause I think I keep stumbling into the same places.

Also, when does anyone else want to play this with me? It's irritatingly compulsive.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 15:38 
Paws for thought

If voice comms are sorted, I may be interested.Can't be so arsed with quiet multiplayer. Half the point (for me) is talking about irrelevant bollocks and pushing people off Dimrills plank

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 15:42 

Been watching some of this chap's DayZ videos lately:

https://www.youtube.com/user/FRANKIEonPCin1080p/videos

Quite amusing at times. Also there's some videos on there of another weird Arma Mod called Island Life which just looks bizarre.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 15:58 
Bad Girl

Mr Dave wrote:
If voice comms are sorted, I may be interested.

Sorted how? I'll try it with a 360 controller and headset and see if that works. Mind you, that'll mean I need to actually find someone to talk to.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 16:05 
Paws for thought

Saturnalian wrote:
Mr Dave wrote:
If voice comms are sorted, I may be interested.

Sorted how? I'll try it with a 360 controller and headset and see if that works. Mind you, that'll mean I need to actually find someone to talk to.

Typically with PCs you'd run a separate chat client rather than running the inbuilt game system (if there is one. the inbuilt steam one is nigh on unusable in my experience)

The xbox controller +headset should work, but its not usually plug and play like it is on consoles.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 16:34 
Bad Girl

Mr Dave wrote:
Typically with PCs you'd run a separate chat client

muhWAAAH?

Mr Dave wrote:
The xbox controller +headset should work, but its not usually plug and play like it is on consoles.

mahWUUUUGH?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 16:39 
Paws for thought

hence my comment.

It shouldn't actually be that hard, and I could make instructions, but first time I tried to get it working with Dimrill and Perkies was... an interesting experience.

Although probably bettet than the time we tried to play Dawn of War 2 with The Gaywood, and it somehow made him whisper quiet.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 16:58 
Excellent Member

Saturnalian wrote:
Mr Dave wrote:
Typically with PCs you'd run a separate chat client

muhWAAAH?

Windows isn't a dedicated gaming OS like whatever runs on the Xbox and PS3 so the fact it hasn't got an in-built chat client like you get on consoles shouldn't come as that much of a surprise. The Steam one should really work and that's pretty disappointing if it doesn't as Steam's trying to be a full-service gaming client, but even at that you'd still need to find an alternative if you were running a non-Steam game. The alternative would be for every single game to code an entire internal chat client which is a terrible idea and completely unnecessary when such things already exist outwith the context of a single game.

Saturnalian wrote:
Mr Dave wrote:

mahWUUUUGH?

I've never tried it myself but I did think MS had got all the drivers and such like sorted these days so all aspects of the 360 controller were pretty much plug and play. Obviously the controller itself is so I'm surprised the headset aspect isn't.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 17:21 
Paws for thought

the largest problem with the steam client is its use of the windows default devices, meaning you cant (or couldn't, at least) have comms on a separate set of speakers. making speech really indistinct.

could be its better given the last time I checked was a while ago.

The non plug and playness is simply a factor of windows/teamspeak/whatever not knowing which devices to use and what squelch/volume levels to use.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 13:23 
Bad Girl

markg wrote:
Been watching some of this chap's DayZ videos lately:

https://www.youtube.com/user/FRANKIEonPCin1080p/videos

Quite amusing at times. Also there's some videos on there of another weird Arma Mod called Island Life which just looks bizarre.

I just watched the one where he makes friends with a group but it goes bad and the group gets disarmed by bandits and then taken away to be tortured! It was quite brilliant.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 15:41 
Bad Girl

Jesus. Some people should be banned from games for being weird.

http://youtu.be/PLveMFmNTmw

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 17:31 
Awesome
Yes

Saturnalian, post more about your adventures in this game pls.

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 19:59 
Bad Girl

You probably know this already but just plugging the headset into the 360 controller doesn't work. BUT i'm now the proud owner of a cheapo PC headset! Yay!

Now I can say "Don't shoot" just before I'm instantly shot dead.

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 20:52 
Bad Girl

It's a bit overcast. Rain is probably on the horizon but for now I'm alone in the forest and should find somewhere to start my daily scavenge. I've learned something about survival when you're on your own: going up hill takes forever. Ok, so that's not the best advice anyone has ever given another gamer but it's probably the reason why exploration at the tops of the hills and peaks is a lonely quest and the possibility of running into anyone become increasingly remote the higher above sea level you get. Oh, and you run slower uphill. So if you've got a couple of miles between places with no form of transport (I've not seen a single vehicle on any of the roads, nor have I come across any vehicles that weren't burnt out and useless) then oop top is boring. This place is huge. How huge? Fucking huge. So I scrat about for a bit in the woods on the hills and find a rifle, some hats, some cans of pop and bags of rice and stuff. I'm actually quite good at finding stuff now. The items are so tiny that you need a keen eye to spot them. Magazine's filled with bullet or shotgun shells are so tiny (as in real life and stuff) that you really have to concentrate when you enter anywhere. I imagine that some places are more likely to have military hardware but for now a dusty rifle from some shack in the woods will keep me going even if I only find a couple of bullets. Funnily enough, this is exactly what I do: I find two bullets.

This goes on for, like, three quarters of an hour. I pop in one house, scavage, I pop next door and scavage, I pop across the road and scavage. I find a kids bag which I fill with cans of pop, and even find a nice pristine orange which I save for dinner. In between small shanty towns I run for ages until I find the next shanty town or a farm. I barely see any zombies. They've calmed down since I was last here. They are slower and even easier to outpace. You can even give them the slip. Stupid zombies.

Off shore I spy a ship that is half submerged. I've no idea if I can swim so I wade out until my body remembers that it can! So I swim. Oh, I've forgot to ditch my clothes so I'm soaking. Fuck. But I've read The Road and I know some guy will no doubt nick my stuff if I leave it on the beach. Or maybe I forgot to take my clothes off. No, it's a smart move that I deliberately came up with the moment that I saw the ship - I would swim out with all my clothes on, pillage and leave like an underwater pirate ninja. Turns out that the ship can't be accessed so I bob around the side of it like a floating idiot. I swim all the way back to the beach, strip and dump my clothes on the floor and wear a spare t-shirt.

I start a run down the road like a madman looking for the next something. To be fair, I'm craving some company so I ditch my plan of lonely solitude and head along the road looking for travellers to share the journey with.

I pass a water irrigation plant. I take a look around inside and climb onto the roof to survey where the hell I am. It turns out that I'm not far from a large town and get a bit giddy with excitement at the prospect of meeting people and perhaps doing a trade for the stuff I've found.

I run off towards the town but find it seemingly deserted. I wonder what goodies the flats and apartment buildings might hide so I start my endless scavage through the buildings. There are shops and supermarkets too but the goods are stripped from the shelves; yet you can find one or two bits knocking about. I chance upon a cross bow! It's looking up again. I find a med kit. A snazzy hat. Some pristine gloves. A MAGAZINE FILLED WITH BULLETS! ...for a gun I do not possess. Ah well. I might chance upon some armoury or something on my travels.

I come to the centre of the town after a good 20-30 minutes. It's been under 2 hours since I woke up in the zombie apocalypse and I'm still alive, well nourished, and my pack is bulging with supplies. I don't think that this is too bad going; everyone else in the world is probably dead. There's a church in the centre of the town so I take a wander in.

There's nowt here that I don't already have.

"Don't fucking move."

I turn around and three guys who look like they've found a cache of military equipment have come in behind me.

"Hey guy's. Y'alright?"

"Put the fucking rifle on the floor"

"Whoooa, Frankie says Relax"

At this point I decide it'd be a good idea to show my cheeky side by giving them the finger. I press the button on the keyboard and someone says "Oh right" and all I can hear is a short burst of firearms before the screen goes black. I was dead before I could look up from the keyboard.

Lessons learned? No one has a sense of humour in a zombie apocalypse.

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 8:18 
Awesome
Yes

Awesome. So you can kill each other as well? Not in the spirit of survivorship is it?

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 9:01 
UltraMod

Mr Russell wrote:
Awesome. So you can kill each other as well? Not in the spirit of survivorship is it?

Have you not seen any zombie survival story ever?

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 9:10 
Awesome
Yes

British Nervoso wrote:
Mr Russell wrote:

Yep, and very few humans kill other humans on purpose.

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 9:13 
UltraMod

Mr Russell wrote:
British Nervoso wrote:
Mr Russell wrote:

8)

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 9:51 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Mr Russell wrote:
British Nervoso wrote:
Mr Russell wrote:

8)

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 9:53 
UltraMod

One of the main points of humanity facing some kind of apocalypse is that it's human nature to turn on one another. How have you missed that, Russ, you soft twat?

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 10:22 
Awesome
Yes

Where's your list?

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 10:31 
UltraMod

Mr Russell wrote:
Where's your list?

The burden of proof is on the person who is wrongdisagrees with the majority.

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 10:34 
Awesome
Yes

British Nervoso wrote:
Mr Russell wrote:
Where's your list?

https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/burden-of-proof

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 10:41 
Excellent Member

Mr Russell wrote:
British Nervoso wrote:
Mr Russell wrote:
Where's your list?

https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/burden-of-proof

https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/just-b ... mned-wrong

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 11:51 
Sleepyhead

Mr Russell wrote:
Where's your list?

28 Days Later
28 Weeks Later
The Walking Dead
Dead Set

Your turn.

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 11:59 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Curiosity wrote:
Mr Russell wrote:
Where's your list?

28 Days Later
28 Weeks Later
The Walking Dead
Dead Set

Day Z

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 12:00 
Sleepyhead

Grim... wrote:
Curiosity wrote:
Mr Russell wrote:
Where's your list?

28 Days Later
28 Weeks Later
The Walking Dead
Dead Set

Day Z

World War Z

Etc etc

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 12:49 
Bad Girl

Mr Russell wrote:
British Nervoso wrote:
Mr Russell wrote:

It seems that those that have managed to accumulate an arsenal often turn into right dickheads with the sole intention of griefing everyone else. I've never found more than two bullets for any weapon I've ever held...

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 21:24 
Bad Girl

I'm at some docks (I should seriously get a map or something. I've no clue where I am even though I've visited some places more than once). There's a long concrete map that leads maybe, what, 2-3 hundred yards along. Bushes either side. Cover from the main town to the left of me. Sea to the right. I've heard gunshots so I know some twats are griefing others. Not just one or two gunshots but loads. Machine gun fire, perhaps. I inch down the wall to a crossroads where the wall stops for a few yards to let the train tracks through. There's two bodies on the floor. A guy from out of nowhere, with no gear on, streaks past me to a sound of whistling gunshots. He zips past the wall out of sight. He zips back running full steam.

Everyone is ignoring me by the looks of it and this body has a nice shiny rifle on his body. I crawl on the floor low and close to the wall reaching out with my mouse. I stretch out until I get the symbol which means I can look in the backpack. Goodies! This body had a shit load of stuff. I pinch the lot and dump all my stuff which I'd been farming for 30-odd minutes. About 5 feet in front there's the second body but this needs me to stretch out from behind the wall. But look at this muthafucking shiny assault rifle. It might be a freakin' M4 or some shit. I get all excited; resolve to be very very still and pretend to be dead too. I crawl out from behind the wall and fortunately there's a small bush that I can get a little bit of cover from and inch forward. I stretch out with my virtual hand. I inch forward a bit more and stretch out. I can see the block of flats from where the gunshots had been coming from. I stretch out a little bit more and don't move. Still ok I reach forward and I'm in his bag. It was like Christmas and Easter and my birthday all at once. Until the screen went black and the sound of gunshots could be heard. Knickers.

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 23:53 
Paws for thought

Just wondering, what's stopping people from just logging out when they encounter some people being complete dicks to them? Aside from being sporting to complete dicks?

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 0:03 
Bad Girl

Nothing as far as I can tell. If you want to be left alone you can just switch servers. There's always plenty with just a couple of people on them that you might never bump into on a 200 mile map (or whatever it is)

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 7:20 
UltraMod

WHERE HAS RUSSELL GONE

Reply to topic  [ 216 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next