Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 195 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
 Post subject: Re: Max Payne 3
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 19:28 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Bezzie gaming works best en masse, in my humble view. Which is why there was a big CoD group for a while, a decent sized BF3 group for a much shorter while. There's not been a large-scale decent multiplayer game that appeals to all since Burnout Paradise though.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 19:45 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

The Halo Reach nights were ace, albeit short lived.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 19:55 
UltraMod

Ian Fairies wrote:
There's been a distinct lack of new gaming interest on the board for a little while. Has there been much/any Bezzie Payne action? I haven't really played much of the multiplayer at all but if there's interest I wouldn't mind a few games.

It's pretty good. The Albanian Flid and I have put a good few hours into it and there's some enjoyable game modes. If there's sufficient interest I would be happy to host a night.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 20:36 
Slightly Brackish

This grew on me, although towards the end of my second playthrough on hard it began to drag again, mostly because of the difficulty. Have done a couple of chapters on NY Minute mode which were quite fun, but again, I suspect as I go deeper in that mode I'll get grumpy with it again. Then just Old Skool, Hardcore and NY Minute Hardcore playthroughs to do for the max! :D

Overall I'm decreeing it a 7.5/10 game. And yes, I'd play the onlines multiplazorz if a few fancied it. Lack of general gaming interest on the board or not, I still join in the surprise that a AAA title made by Rockstar only seems to be owned by 3 people on here 8)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 21:33 
Hello Hello Hello

Ian Fairies wrote:
There's been a distinct lack of new gaming interest on the board for a little while. Has there been much/any Bezzie Payne action? I haven't really played much of the multiplayer at all but if there's interest I wouldn't mind a few games.

I realise I'm on the wrong platform for Bezzie Payne but I haven't even looked at the multiplayer, I bought it solely for the single player story mode.

BF3 is for multiplayer hijinks :)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 19:55 
Hello Hello Hello

GOD FUCKING DAMMIT.

Down to £14.99 in the Steam Summer Sale.

I played the game through once, took about 12 hours and then I uninstalled it.

It was a cracking good game but I'd have felt happier only paying £15 for it...... :'(

I think I might start waiting for Steam sales/reductions in future, this is a really quick price reduction for such a big title.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 20:05 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Bloody Hell!
Due to the naysayers in this thread I only started playing this tonight.

It's fucking great!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 20:34 
UltraMod

Grim... wrote:
Bloody Hell!

It's fucking great!

You should know by now that this place is full of the greatest curmudgeons known to mankind.

Yes, it's great. :)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 21:07 
Slightly Brackish

Grim... wrote:
Bloody Hell!

It's fucking great!

I said "slightly less nay" as the thread developed... see my final verdict just above from over a month ago. I escape all blame!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 23:47 
Slightly Brackish

Here's a big-time negative though - the multiplayer is ruined now if you haven't been playing it incessantly since release and unlocking all the good weapons and perks. You'll get destroyed and hate every second, because that is what game developers think you want nowadays. Awful.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 0:09 
Honey Boo Boo

Alberto wrote:
Here's a big-time negative though - the multiplayer is ruined now if you haven't been playing it incessantly since release and unlocking all the good weapons and perks. You'll get destroyed and hate every second, because that is what game developers think you want nowadays. Awful.

Isn't it? Being able to compensate for having no life by spoiling the game for noob fags?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 0:51 
Slightly Brackish

metalangel wrote:
Alberto wrote:

Isn't it? Being able to compensate for having no life by spoiling the game for noob fags?

The sad thing is that we have this discussion in so many different threads now, because it's so prevalent. I understand the rationale of rewarding people with unlocks the longer they play/more objectives they meet, because it is nice... but there's no thought given to the players who dip in and out for whom this is a game-breaking experience. Or worse, there IS a thought for them, and that thought is "fuck 'em, they ought to play our wonderful game more" and they consciously focus the rewards on the hardcore fans who don't actually need the incentives to keep playing because they'd play it anyway - they're hardcore fans after all!

Aside from the obvious problem of lazy developers simply cut and pasting from the CoD template, I wonder if perhaps part of the problem is the new phenomenon of recruiting all the beta testers from among the hardcore shooter playing community; every big shooter seems to have a beta code for some other future big shooter multiplayer extravaganza packaged in with it nowadays. I can't help but think this skews the testing pool somewhat, and all the feedback will be about which guns are too powerful and which map layouts suck, and there'll be no more casual players in the pool saying things like "actually, if you're not great at the game then you get annihilated by boys with bigger guns and want to play something else". Just musing.

Bizarrely, the game that handles multiplayer the best IMO is not really thought of as a multiplayer game at all. Assassin's Creed (both BroHo and Rev) handles it very well since while you unlock nifty new abilities as you rank up, both ways to kill your prey and ways to defend yourself from your hunter, the game autobalances as you go. Each round you will have one target to kill and one hunter hunting you at the beginning... but as the game goes on, the players at the top of the leaderboard begin getting multiple hunters assigned to them, making it harder. The flipside of that being that if you are struggling, you'll find you stop getting a hunter assigned to you so you stop getting pwned at every turn and things become a little more manageable, despite your repertoire being a little more limited. It works fantastically well. More of this sort of thing please.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:17 

The ironic thing though, is that despite copy and pasting the CoD template, CoD is probably the best example of a game that you can genuinely compete in from day one.

Yeah, you unlock more weapons, but they're all balanced against each other.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:18 
UltraMod

Not really. I always found each CoD's multiplayer fun and forgiving at first, but when I took an inevitable break for a few weeks, found it almost unplayable when I came back to it - it's just as bad as any other.

Back in the day online shooters weren't any better, though. Doom and Quake required map knowledge so you know where all the best weapons are. Gears still does this.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:57 
Slightly Brackish

The Last Salmon Man wrote:
Back in the day online shooters weren't any better, though. Doom and Quake required map knowledge so you know where all the best weapons are. Gears still does this.

True, but that can be overcome by following a teammate around until you learn. Max Payne has no weapon spawns, you spawn with access to whatever you've unlocked already and any lower ranked player has no access to pick anything as good up in-game until they've ground out ties extra 20 levels. Spending a few rounds learning weapon spawn points seems almost heaven by comparison.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:15 

Not really. I always found each CoD's multiplayer fun and forgiving at first, but when I took an inevitable break for a few weeks, found it almost unplayable when I came back to it - it's just as bad as any other.

How?! Are you just shit? Nothing changes or unlocks that gives longer players a significant advantage - beyond people knowing the maps better...

Edit: Just noticed you actually complained about that in your second para! What sort of game doesn't allow people to get better at it the more they play it?! You can't honestly be complaining about that!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:19 
Honey Boo Boo

Playing Counterstrike again has been eye-opening. There's no permanent unlocks, just the per-round money system.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:21 

CS will never get old! I still maintain CoD does the unlock thing the best though. For example in BLOPS I used the FAMAS pretty much exclusively, and that was available from like Level 4 or something. I never had trouble coming top in games.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 13:09 
UltraMod

Oh no, I fully accept that you need to learn the maps to get any good at games. You're saying that red dot sights etc don't make a difference though? You're living in a dream world

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 13:14 
Kinda Funny Lookin'

Pah...play Team Fortress 2 instead.

I've started playing this again quite a bit recently and even though it's gone free 2 play with micro transactions to pay for better kit the advantages they give seem to be only marginal and speaking as someone who's been away from the game for over six months I can still hold my own (usually placing mid table on my team).

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 13:15 

Oh no, I fully accept that you need to learn the maps to get any good at games. You're saying that red dot sights etc don't make a difference though? You're living in a dream world

They make a difference, but they're hardly much of a task to unlock unless you're properly shite. Some weapons* don't even need them to be ultra effective.

Battlefield 3 on the other hand - with the plane unlocks in particular, is ridiculous. CoD gets it right. You could pick up MW3 for the first time today and be competitive within an hour. No exaggeration. Just kill a few spods with any weapon and you unlock the red dot sights - if you even need them.

And this is coming from someone who is wholly sick of CoD. Although I do feel strangely tempted to have a game later after talking about it. Though I probably won't.

*See: The FAMAS from BLOPS again. Its iron sights were brilliant. I spent my upgrade on extended mags.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 16:44 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Okay, a couple of questions:

How do you get to the menu? It's not esc, that just pauses.
If I've got a two-handed weapon like a shotgun, and I've selected my pistol (because I've gone into cover or, normally, because there was a cut-scene) how do I choose my shotgun again? It seems I have to drop it and pick it up again :S

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 16:50 
UltraMod

No idea if you're playing on the PC.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 17:37 
Bad Girl

You'll only drop the shotty if you switch to dual pistols. If you switch to a single pistol he'll cradle the shotgun. But yeah, no idea if it's on PC.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 19:48 
Hello Hello Hello

Ian Fairies wrote:
You'll only drop the shotty if you switch to dual pistols. If you switch to a single pistol he'll cradle the shotgun. But yeah, no idea if it's on PC.

Works the same on PC IIRC (can't check as I've uninstalled the game) - it took a bit of getting used to, at first I was like 'why the fuck does he keep dropping his guns' but it makes sense.

TBH there's no need to worry about guns/ammo in this game anyway, the game regularly takes your entire arsenal off you and/or gives multiples opportunities to get hold of a variety of weapons.

I was all old-school about it early on, trying to hoard the good stuff and build up a fearsome collection of weaponry, but it soon became clear the game just doesn't work like that so I stopped giving a shit about it.

As for the menu question Grim... I'm really no sure, off the top of my head I think it was just ESC to get to the menu but obviously you're finding that's not the case. It may well be that the full menu is only on the title screen or something? No offence but I'm not downloading the game again just to check that! :D

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 1:01 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Ian Fairies wrote:

No no, he's holding the shotgun in his left hand - I want him to put his pistol away and hold it in both hands again!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:14 
UltraMod

Grim... wrote:
Ian Fairies wrote:

No no, he's holding the shotgun in his left hand - I want him to put his pistol away and hold it in both hands again!

On the 360 you hold LB to bring up the weapon selection menu, then push the right stick down to select your two-handed weapon. Look in the control config to see which key brings this up.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:33 
Hello Hello Hello

Grim... wrote:
Ian Fairies wrote:

On the 360 you hold LB to bring up the weapon selection menu, then push the right stick down to select your two-handed weapon. Look in the control config to see which key brings this up.

Yeah that rings a bell, I had that bound to a key, can't remember which one but it's all fully configurable from the menu.

Assuming Grim... has managed to find the menu, that is.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 20:46 
Hello Hello Hello

£7.49 on Steam today, well worth a tickle at that low price.

Deffo one of my top ten single player games of the last few years.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 21:45 
Excellent Member

Picked this up for 15 after playing one and two on pc. Is more of the same old school killing an I likes it a bunch

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 22:18 
Excellent Member

I played a few levels of this tonight but it's not for me so it got uninstalled. The shot-dodge move seems designed almost entirely to get you murdered because you can't generally see what you're shot-dodging into--plus the bad guys have a tendency to sit doing nothing at all for ages and then suddenly announce their presence by pumping bullets into your surprised face--so you end up taking out one or two guys then lying on the floor while their mates excitedly murder you. And without that USP it's just repetitive and stunningly clunk cover shooting. There were parts where I died and, at the restart point, literally didn't know what the hell I was supposed to do because there baddies at every angle and no cover to speak of. Going all gung-ho just gets you killed to death and trying to hide and take them out just gets you flanked and/or utterly overwhelmed so these battles ended up all scrappy and ridiculous.

On the upside, the music and sound design in general were excellent and it looked gorgeous. As someone said earlier in the thread Rockstar sure know how to build a good looking world. Which is unfortunate given that whenever you try and stop to either look around or hunt for secrets there's always someone screaming at you to hurry up and move on, indeed the level in the club actually ends if you look around long enough which can fuck off.

With hindsight I don't think I'm entirely in the right frame of mind of repetitive shooty-shooty at the moment but even at that, that's the quickest I've given up and uninstalled a game since, I dunno, Nier or something.

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 22:30 
Excellent Member

Which brings me down to only three 'last gen' games I actually own (Asura's Wrath, Sleeping Dogs and God of War 4) and only a couple more I'm all that interested in playing; and only one of those (GTA V) currently isn't available on either the PC or PS4. I could suddenly be right on course for picking up that PS4 along with Arkham Knight. Hell, I've got enough indie PC stuff stacked up to keep me going even if I run completely out of console stuff to care about.

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 2:50 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Good god play Sleeping Dogs. It's properly ace.

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 9:34 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Cras wrote:
Good god play Sleeping Dogs. It's properly ace.

:this:

Play "Copper Chase" - grab a copper, snap a limb or two, put him into the boot of a car and drive until you evade the police chase, at which point you get him out of the boot and put him in another car.

You score one point each time you put him in a new boot, and the game is over when you get arrested or he dies.

My best score is eight.

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 9:42 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

:D

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 22:20 
Hello Hello Hello

Since this thread popped up again, and since I'm getting a bit maxed out (no pun intended) on Hearthstone, I decided to reinstall Max Payne 3 and go for a second playthrough.

Working through it pretty solidly and I'd say it's a better game second time around, all the stuff that was slightly confusing on the first playthrough (the combinations of weapons you can/can't carry, the way the various controls/leaps/bullet times/auto pills/etc work together, the hurry up mechanics which ultimately don't matter because it saves all the time and you can just try every section as many times as you like, etc etc) has been nullified because I remember them from last time, and I'm able to fully enjoy the game and the gunplay right from the off.

I guess it helps if you played and loved Max Payne 1 and 2 back in the day, then waited YEARS for another one, and were then bitterly disappointed by Alan Wake (which is where Remedy disappeared off to), to have Rockstar pick up the ball and deliver an absolutely barnstorming third game in the series that's just about everything you could possibly want it to be.

Also I've got a new monitor and graphics card since last time so I'm playing it in quite remarkable gorgeous-o-vision (2560x1440@60 with v-sync and totally maxed except no MSAA since FXAA does the job on that front), to the extent that the pre-rendered cutscenes are an immediate and horrible downgrade from what the engine renders in realtime for the game and also the cutscenes that are generated by the game engine, and being sat pretty close to a 27 inch monitor the moniker of 'cinematic gaming' seems entirely appropriate.

Yes it is a touch 'cover shooter' if you want to be a bit harsh, but then again so were the originals, and once you get your head around the various mechanics you can break out from the cover shooter mechanic anyway (as you could in the originals, and I think that was back before 'cover shooters' were even a thing).

Finally, it's impossible to overstate how good the sound package is in this game, the music, the effects, the voiceovers - all glorious.

Definitely a treat to play through for a second time. (When I've finished with this it'll be Deus Ex Human Revolution again, unless I've managed to get a Wii U and MK8 by then.....)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 22:27 
Bad Girl

Yeah, I'd love to see what this looks like on my gargantuan PC and give it a second run through. It was pretty ace.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 22:46 
Hello Hello Hello

Saturnalian wrote:
Yeah, I'd love to see what this looks like on my gargantuan PC and give it a second run through. It was pretty ace.

I'm taking my time a lot more for the second playthrough, the environments aren't exactly expansive but there's still a little bit of exploring to be done, uncovering the clues and extra characters and the golden gun parts and extra bits of exposition from Max himself.

It's definitely a game that improves with familiarity IMO, and you should certainly give it a run through on your shiny new PC :)

Works best with decent volume levels too, so headphones on if you've got neighbours :D

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 23:35 
Bad Girl

The 360 version was a bit of a looker though. Do you reckon I'll see palpable differences and will I ever know what MSAA and FXAA are? Tune in when the price drops to £3!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 8:01 
Hello Hello Hello

The Eurogamer face-off at the time reckoned the PC version was a definite step up if you could max it out at 1080 (or higher), whilst acknowledging that the 360/PS3 versions were still pretty tasty in their own rights.

Your PC should be able to maintain 60FPS@1080p quite comfortably with v-sync enabled and all the settings maxed out or close enough, so you'll get a much smoother and more consistent experience than either of the consoles managed, along with snappier controls thanks to reduced input lag. Tesselisation causes quite a hit for not much extra shinies so you could drop that down if needs be.

(Don't worry too much about what FXAA and MSAA are, just turn MSAA off completely and set FXAA to 'Very High'.)

The game routinely turns up in Steam sales for a fiver or less these days.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 1:04 
Bad Girl

Saturnalian wrote:
The 360 version was a bit of a looker though. Do you reckon I'll see palpable differences and will I ever know what MSAA and FXAA are? Tune in when the price drops to £3!

16 months later and I can finally find out. Turns out I can't remember what the 360 version looked like so I've no idea if it looks significantly more graphicsy or not. Sure is beut though. And shooty.

The textures defaulted to very high and everything else to high. The resolution was slightly less than my telly and left about a half cm gap for some reason so I punted the resolution up to the 1900x1000-odd and it filled the screen and played exactly the same. So I shoved tessalisio non too. Still didn't slow it down. Fuck it shoved the graphics up to whatever and I couldn't tell the difference in graphics yet it still looked and moved fine to my old eyes. PC gaming is Acebest and I'm Acebest at it.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 20:41 
Bad Girl

Has anyone not played this? It feels so much better second time around for some reason. It looks so good why hasn't 'this' had an HD Remaster out of all the tosh games that managed it. I'm not 100% about the improvement of the graphical update but this PC version feels Next-Gen to me.

Blasting people in the face has never felt so good.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 21:57 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Max Payne 3 isn't exactly old, man.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 0:12 
Hello Hello Hello

Not really much to add from me as I played the game through twice and documented it in this thread :)

It's a fantastic game, and if you can totally pimp it all out it looks stunningly gorgeous too. Oh yes and it sounds incredible as well. Turn up loud or wear headphones.

It is better second time around I feel because you understand the weapon/ammo system better (don't stress about either, basically, unlike in the first two Max Paynes where collecting guns and ammo was really a thing), plus I think in some regards the story works better somehow when you know where it's going. (Even the really nasty bits. Necklacing and organ harvesting, not nice.)

Deffo one to use the old quicksave/quickload buttons on as well, to really finesse each little section as much as you fancy.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 11:07 
UltraMod

Saturnalian wrote:
Has anyone not played this? It feels so much better second time around for some reason. It looks so good why hasn't 'this' had an HD Remaster out of all the tosh games that managed it. I'm not 100% about the improvement of the graphical update but this PC version feels Next-Gen to me.

Blasting people in the face has never felt so good.

I loved it, but then again I'm a Max Payne fanboy anyway.

Reply to topic  [ 195 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4