Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
 Post subject: The Nintendo Channel
PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 2:02 
Song Wars 08/09 Champion

Has anyone tried this on their Wii yet? Ratherly spiffingly, as well as various videos and trailers, you can now download demos of DS games wirelessly through the Wii straight to your DS...a nice feature addition to my mind.

It also features a list of upcoming games with release dates and info on them. Something so simple I'm suprised it's taken this long for somone to do it (I know Inside Xbox does list new games but only the ones everyone knows about anyway).

It also lets you feedback about games you've played, and your experiances, but excellently only games you've played for over an hour so you won't get quite so much silliness.

Thoughts on this?

Post subject: Re: The Nintendo Channel
PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 3:24 
Time Out for Fun

I heard its a really good advert page.

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 3:28 
Song Wars 08/09 Champion

Well of course...it is called the NINTENDO channel after all! The very first page is, at the moment at least, full of adverts for games like WiiFit, and WiiWare stuff, but hell it's presented by Shigsy himself, and most of this stuff DOES need explaining to the Wii's audience.

Also - having tried the DS demo functionality with a few games I have to say it's a really good idea. They have stuff like DS Picross which I've found I enjoy but would never normally look at. I also don't own a YarrCard, preferring originals on my console and handheld purchases.

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 3:43 
Time Out for Fun

c'mon surely even old stu and many others have told you to try picross before. if not for shame as I find the nintendo version a pain in the arse. find a copy of essential sudoku, the controls may take half an hour to get some fast solving note the fast for people used to the puzzles but theres no zooming in and out that hinders the nintendo version.

also pic pic is a must for any puzzle fan, any,
I feel Im doing stu's work again but hes got a great eye for DS games, although I though james pond:robocod or whatever was fucking terrible.

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 4:15 
Song Wars 08/09 Champion

Old Stu's love for a strange game called "Picross" was the reason I downloaded that one. But it gave me easy, onscreen access to the demo, from my bed, without even getting up. Straight to the DS. No illegal shenanigans, no complicated procedures, no wasted storage. It'll certainly make me buy more DS games if I can happily demo them first, same I as I do with XBLAH games. If there were no XBLAH demos I wouldn't touch most of them, same as I currently won't purchase WiiWare stuff.

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 10:58 

Why are there demos of about six games, most of which are very old?

Why are they all 'casual' games? In the game rating section (which is pointless as you can't say why you rate a game the way you do. OK, so a game is good... why is it good?) they acknowledge that there are 'hardcore' gamers out there. So why no demos, seeing as I've had to delete two more PC Engine shooters to fit it on my Wii, then when I tried to run it it insisted I deleted something else as well. I had to lose an N64 Game. Sure I'll be happy to wait while one of those downloads when next I want to play it, as opposed to playing something else I'm allowed to actually store somewhere permanent. And this 'hardcore' gamer wants some 'hardcore' demos, not fucking Sight Training. And a trailer for Wii Fit.

This channel may grow but right now it feels like Nintendo are actuually trying to push me away from the platform. Unless the online and storage issues are sorted out, I can see myself selling up. MAybe I should price up my wii and VC games, see what I could get?

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 13:09 
Time Out for Fun

Sheepeh wrote:
Old Stu's love for a strange game called "Picross" was the reason I downloaded that one. But it gave me easy, onscreen access to the demo, from my bed, without even getting up. Straight to the DS. No illegal shenanigans, no complicated procedures, no wasted storage. It'll certainly make me buy more DS games if I can happily demo them first, same I as I do with XBLAH games. If there were no XBLAH demos I wouldn't touch most of them, same as I currently won't purchase WiiWare stuff.

IVe got essential sudoku somewhere, Ill sell it to you for 5 quid if you want, not sure Ive got the box mind.

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 13:52 
Song Wars 08/09 Champion

Not sure why people are thinking Picross and Soduku are the same...I don't find them that similar at all. Also, the Picross DS I downloaded had no zooming at all so I didn't see that problem.

I guess I'm more excited about the possibilities of what Nintendo *can* do, as opposed to what they *have* done. It'll no doubt grow to include Zelda demos and such.

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 13:56 
Time Out for Fun

sorry I should have been more detailed, essential sudoku has 1000 picross puzzles on it, all without zooming in and out of the big puzzles, as you have to do this on the picross ds and is generally unpleasant I thought.
I think essential sudoku has been my most played game on the ds for just have many puzzles are on it.

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 14:11 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

How many demos can your DS store?

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 14:16 
Song Wars 08/09 Champion

One. Until you turn it off. It's stored in the memory the same as when you send multiplayer modes to people. It'll keep for as long as you leave it in Standby, though. And it only took me 10 seconds to add a new one.

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 16:33 
:insincere:

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 17:00 
Kindly deeds done for free

I've long maintained that the best Picross game on the DS is Hudson's Puzzle Series Vol. 6: Illust Logic. The d-pad controls are way, way better than Picross DS's stylus tosh. It's not as cheap though; £20 + delivery from Play-Asia. Illust Logic DS + Colorful Logic is a little cheaper (£15 + delivery) but I don't know if it's as good (it's already been tainted with the Satanic evil that is the colour-based Picross puzzle, who knows what else they've done to shit it up?).

Pic-Pic is awesome too, with the best of its puzzles clearly being the Minesweeper-meet-Picross antics of Magipix (aka Fill-A-Pix).

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 17:02 
Time Out for Fun

yeah essential sudoku works pretty much the same as the japanese ones, so if you havent played that on Id recommend it.

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ]