Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.
It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 20:02

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 996 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 30, 31, 32, 33, 34
 Post subject: Re: New generic book thread
PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 13:48 

Booker Binge 2017: Elmet by Fiona Mozley

In the twilight world of Britain's underclass, where prize fights are a fun day out, day labouring borders on slavery, and brute force settles most things, a father and two children eke out an existence.

I enjoyed this one. The story was very easy to follow and surprisingly captivating. The descriptions of life at the bottom of society vivid and convincing. I'm not sure what the monologues starting each chapter that take place after the events of the book add to my understanding of the narrator, but those bits could easily be skipped. The ending might feel a bit contrived but it was, to me, perfectly reasonable given everything that led up to it.

Just got '4321' by Paul Auster left to go!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 18:39 

Kern wrote:
Just got '4321' by Paul Auster left to go!

Only 15% through but I'm really struggling to enjoy this, and it's a lengthy one. Having four alternative timelines in the book ('Sliding Doors' only manages two) and skipping between them is an interesting concept but I'm struggling to remember what's happened in previous chapters in each timeline. The author also writes in really, really, really long sentences which become difficult to follow after the seventeenth subclause. I'm also not particuarly interested so far in any this particular post-war American kid's lives , and the inclusion of key books, movies, TV shows, and records from the period just feels like the author showing off his Wikipedia skills. But on I plod, in case he ends up on a grassy knoll or something.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:27 

Kern wrote:
Booker Binge 2017: Lincoln in the Bardo by George Saunders

In which the spirit world's versions of Statler and Waldorf meet the freshly deceased Willie Lincoln and a grieving Abe.

This one won. I still think 'Autumn' was the book that grabbed and moved me most this year, but much of my response was based on reflections in the text of my own particular feelings in summer and autumn 2016 so I don't think it will be as emotionally powerful in a few years' time as 'Bardo' will be.

Read about a fifth of '4321' but have put it aside for now as I wasn't really enjoying it and finding it tiresome.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 16:34 

Went to the local bookshop and bought a nice paper bag.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:55 

The owner and coder of Ravelry was recommending this book to anyone who writes codes for use by people: Technically Wrong: Sexist Apps, Biased Algorithms, and Other Threats of Toxic Tech https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/0393634639/ ... eAbKX57F4K

It looked interesting so I thought I’d pop the link in here in case it interested anyone.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 13:19 
Lupine member

Mimi wrote:
The owner and coder of Ravelry was recommending this book to anyone who writes codes for use by people: Technically Wrong: Sexist Apps, Biased Algorithms, and Other Threats of Toxic Tech https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/0393634639/ ... eAbKX57F4K

It looked interesting so I thought I’d pop the link in here in case it interested anyone.

Cheers!

Reply to topic  [ 996 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 30, 31, 32, 33, 34