And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 441 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
 Post subject: Re: Diablo III - Out now!
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:56 
Hello Hello Hello

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
AtrocityExhibition wrote:
Yeah but as the guy in that hack readily admitted, the only reason the hack was significant was his duplicating of info across multiple accounts,
No. Not even close. The entire amount of duplicated info was his credit card number and the associated billing address, neither of which can easily be permuted between sites.

Quote:
and he hadn't backed up the photos of his daughter for a fucking year.
Which is relevant to what, exactly?

Quote:
A postal address is not important personal information.

it shouldn't be. Honan's point is that both Amazon and Apple (...and who knows who else?) treat it as if it is. Seriously, did you even read the Wired article?

1) Fair enough, but it still wouldn't have been a problem if he hadn't used the same email address for everything, or something like that anyway.

2) It's relevant in that the hack affected him badly because he was lax on his backup strategy. The less you stand to lose from a hack, the less it affects you.

3) Yes I read it all, it was quite interesting but at the same time I was like, 'I look after my shit a lot better than he does and if that hack happened to me I'd be nowhere near as badly affected.' It'd be a pain in the arse, sure, but survivable. (I ain't go no remote wipe shit going on with my fucking COMPUTER, that's for damn sure.)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:58 
Level 6 Laser Lotus

The physical authenticators haven't been compromised

Bold statment which goes alot further than Bliz

Quote:
With regard to Mobile Authenticators, information was taken that could potentially compromise the integrity of North American Mobile Authenticators. We have no evidence that other regions were affected. We are working quickly to provide software updates to users.

Additionally we believe the integrity of the physical authenticators remains intact.

If at first, the idea is not absurd, then there is no hope for it

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:03 

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
If the mobile authenticators have been compromised then that's a poor show, but my reading of that is that the authenticators haven't been 'cracked' as it were, more that the hackers have retrieved information from inside Blizzard that would allow them to circumvent the authenticators in some way. Same end result but slightly different methodology.

If you don't understand enough about public key auth to do any better than the above paragraph of waffle, then you don't understand enough to gauge the severity of this security breach.

The physical authenticators haven't been compromised, which leads me to believe that Blizzard handle the mobile authenticators in a different way.

But no, I don't really understand public key auth, but I still don't understand how it's a 'severe breach' either, they're only bloody game accounts at the end of the day.

I... Is there any point conversing with you? Haven't we already established that "just game accounts" definitely isn't all they are?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:11 
Hello Hello Hello

WTB wrote:
I... Is there any point conversing with you? Haven't we already established that "just game accounts" definitely isn't all they are?

We're talking about battle.net accounts, aren't we?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:25 

Yes, and all of the information held within. How are we not on the same page? It's not complicated!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:36 
Hello Hello Hello

WTB wrote:
Yes, and all of the information held within. How are we not on the same page? It's not complicated!

Oh right sorry I'm genuinely not trying to be obtuse, it doesn't help that AE Jnr is bouncing off the bloody walls as well!

I go back to what I said before then, namely that the majority of the information in a battle.net account isn't really that 'super valuable'.

And I've just re-read the Wired article, the guy really didn't do himself any favours with how he daisy-chained everything together, and considering that his gmail account was the key to the castle he should have had two-step on there.

I'm not saying that between them Amazon and Apple didn't facilitate his getting fucked over, because they did, but seriously, he basically enabled the 'devastation factor' of the hack with his own behaviour.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:43 

And now you've just reiterated the points Rich already addressed above! Regardless of whose "fault" it was, that guy suffered at the hands of hackers because a) some major websites have particularly lax security measures, and b) seemingly innocuous data is actually quite the opposite because of these lax security measures. That's regardless of the guy's own blunders, which we can learn from.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:52 
Hello Hello Hello

WTB wrote:
And now you've just reiterated the points Rich already addressed above! Regardless of whose "fault" it was, that guy suffered at the hands of hackers because a) some major websites have particularly lax security measures, and b) seemingly innocuous data is actually quite the opposite because of these lax security measures. That's regardless of the guy's own blunders, which we can learn from.

Well yes, I basically agree with you, but any of us can turn this into a total 'nothing to worry about situation' by NOT making the mistakes the dude did.

This comes back to my earlier point, ASSUME your data is vulnerable and ASSUME that companies are shit in how they look after it. The hack was very clever in that it played on Amazon's greed, because of course they want it to be easy to add a new payment option, hence no real security on that step.

Yes Amazon and Apple were shit, but equally, the dude could have easily made himself unhackable by the method described.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 12:05 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

WTB wrote:
that guy suffered at the hands of hackers because a) some major websites have particularly lax security measures, and b) seemingly innocuous data is actually quite the opposite because of these lax security measures.

No, no, no, no, no!
The guy suffered at the hands of hackers because a) hackers.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 12:10 

Bollocks! Hackers gonna hack. Certainty.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 12:13 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

WTB wrote:
Bollocks! Hackers gonna hack. Certainty.

Amazing.
I'm going to come around to your house and stab you death, and everyone's going to get real angry at the people that make your door locks.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 12:21 

Ha! I thought rule number one of ecommerce/storing secure data was to assume that someone is definitely going to hack you.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 12:24 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

WTB wrote:
Ha! I thought rule number one of ecommerce/storing secure data was to assume that someone is definitely going to hack you.

Then there's next to nothing you can do about it.

It's actually your fault for putting your details online in the first place. Hackers gonna hack.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 12:26 

So Amazon's laughably basic security measures - address and last four numbers of credit card - are my fault?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 12:35 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Everything's your fault.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 13:01 

Wasn't that a song by Fenix TX?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 20:08 
Hello Hello Hello

£32.99 for a fucking expansion.

I think I may be opting out of this one.

Attachment:
expan.JPG

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 19:55 

Is it an expansion, though? I mean, it has just as much content as SCII, only the campaign is Zerg instead.

Regardless, I've had it with Blizzard and they can lick the salt from my balls.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 19:58 
Hello Hello Hello

WTB wrote:
Is it an expansion, though? I mean, it has just as much content as SCII, only the campaign is Zerg instead.

Regardless, I've had it with Blizzard and they can lick the salt from my balls.

Well it is an expansion insofar as they were taking the piss in the first place by just including one race's campaign in the original game.

To then charge £33 for another single race's campaign is gouging on a scale I can't quite believe even of Blizzard.

I think my response is basically 'fuck off then, I'll play something else'.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:58 
Kinda Funny Lookin'

I have been enjoying the 360 version of this...I am assuming that I am the only one here who is.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:06 
Excellent Member

Morte wrote:
I have been enjoying the 360 version of this...I am assuming that I am the only one here who is.

I tried it the other day, here are my comments lazily copied from another thread (as I didn't realised this one existed):

Quote:
So, you get a very generous demo of Diablo 3 on the old PS3 right now, it's just a shame the game itself is so dull. I've never played a Diablo game before, are they all so boring?

Quote:
The setting and atmosphere of Diablo 3 seemed very nice to be fair to it, it's just the game play that bored me so much I never even finished the demo. The perspective and quality of the graphics reminded me a lot of the Lara Croft game and that just made it worse because I spent the entire time wishing I was playing a game like that instead. Indeed if they kept everything else about it and just made the core combat like the Lara Croft game it would be fucking excellent; the quests and RPG elements would work just as well. Someone go and make that game for me right now.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:23 
UltraMod

Morte wrote:

Ange and I were very much enjoying it on the PS3 before GTA V came out and ruined that.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:49 
Kinda Funny Lookin'

SilentElk wrote:
Morte wrote:

Ange and I were very much enjoying it on the PS3 before GTA V came out and ruined that.

Other way round with me, this has been the game that has distracted me from GTA.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 14:24 
Hibernating Druid

I'll get it when it's free on PS+

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 14:26 
Hello Hello Hello

Free is too expensive for this deathly-dull fucking lump of shit game.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 22:56 
ugvm'er at heart...

Bought this on the PS4 this week. It's really good, the control scheme fits a console controller perfectly, and the loot 2.0 business has made a huge difference. (not that that was a PS4, but I never played it on PC with the loot reboot)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:17 
Hello Hello Hello

I suppose I could revisit this now they've stripped out the real money auction house and re-purposed the rest of the loot around that change, but I can't imagine it improving the fundamentally tedious grinding nature of the game. Doesn't hurt to reinstall it and try I suppose, and it's all digital through battle.net.

I'll tell you what might sell it for me though, if they've patched in gamepad support for the PC. Seriously, playing the PC version with keyboard and mouse gave me what felt like the beginnings of RSI after an extended play session..... Too many twitchy mouse movements and constant clicking.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 13:27 
Excellent Member

While i purchased both the first and second on release day, i never bought Diablo 3 mostly because i lost interest in these kind of games.

Yesterday i got really eager to play it, since 20$ isn't that expensive, but i wonder if it's worth it. I got incredibly bored by both Path of Exile and Torchlight. How is D3 compared to these? Is it fun, or just an endless grind?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 14:06 
Ticket to Ride World Champion

I am playing it at the moment. It is okay, nothing special. Seems to have lost a little in comparison to 2, but isn't bad as such.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 14:51 
Hello Hello Hello

I found it really boring and grindy but that was when the Real Money Auction House was still in the game which gimped all the loot that the game dropped.

I've never found the enthusiasm to revisit it even though it has had some significant tweaks and patches since I played.

For $20 you can't go too far wrong I suppose, but don't expect greatness would be my sage warning.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 18:20 
Excellent Member

Apparently i can try act I for free, so i'm downloading the game as we speak.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 7:15 
Excellent Member

Except for being too easy, i liked the demo a lot, specially concerning all the negative opinion around. I actually find that not having to choose skill is a good thing as it reduces grinding and lets me experiment with different builds. The combat feels punchier than in Torchlight or Path of exile, and I also like the look of it. It's a bit more cartoonish, but still feels diablo and not WoW.

Before i buy it, i will try Path of Exile again...and check the differences.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 8:21 

it is way too easy in comparison to D2. I remember spending ages before getting a character build right, whereas here, I am just flying through, have upped it to hard and have only died for the first time at the end of Act 2, and that's cos I was dicking around.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 12:35 
Excellent Member

Anyway, I restarted Path of Exile and i'm having a blast. It seems i won't have to spend 20€ for D3. At least for now.

Still, I prefer the zoom level and view angle on D3. PoE feels too close and vertical.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 22:08 

Okay, anyone understand the stats on this? I have a follower, the templar, and he had a weapon equipped that will increase his toughness, the shields stat. However, I can't figure out what property of the weapon leads to this increase. Anyone any idea?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:09 
Hello Hello Hello

I'm going through a bit of a phase of 'Why buy new games when I have so many games in my various catalogues (Steam, Origin, Blizzard Launcher etc) that I've never played properly and/or at all, or have been very much overhauled since I last played them?'

Diablo 3 has made that list and I am surprised to find it's actually a good game now.

I already knew the Real Money Auction House had been gone for ages, and they'd revamped all the loot drops, and generally just patched the shit out of it - but I wasn't expecting the end result to be a pretty tasty game.

As has been noted above on the default skill level it's a proper romp, especially with my Demon Hunter who appears to be a ranged death-dealer of the highest order, but it is fun at the same time. Even just piling through Act 1 I've already noticed many changes for the better, not least the loot drops in the game are now excellent, compared to the horrible meanness it used to display to guide you towards the RMAH.

There is an expansion for the game but I haven't bought that, so I'm just playing the 'base' game in its fully patched state (the Blizzard Launcher will take care of all those shenanigans for you, indeed, since I only downloaded it again a couple of days ago it just came down in its fully patched form).

I've also realised that it's possible to fire without clicking the mouse all the time which was really hurting my wrist last time I played the game, instead you can use the SHIFT key (or whatever you set it to), which I find a lot kinder in RSI terms.

So yeah, Diablo 3 - not bad at all now.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 12:23 
UltraMod

Diablo 3 amusingly enough has always been very good on consoles. No auction house and revamped controls for a control pad. I played the shit out of it on PS3. Would be tempted to pick it up again for the PS4 if there was anyone else up for online co-op - couch co-op was very good fun.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 13:36 

I have been playing it, but it was just too easy to be much fun. I set the difficulty level to the highest I was allowed to, but there is still little challenge, all that happens is that you level up faster. Which means that after finishing chapter 1, I am already halfway towards the level cap. I have uninstalled it now, and I don't think I'll play it again soon, if ever. Shame, because I like everything else about it.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 13:40 
UltraMod

lasermink wrote:
I have been playing it, but it was just too easy to be much fun. I set the difficulty level to the highest I was allowed to, but there is still little challenge, all that happens is that you level up faster. Which means that after finishing chapter 1, I am already halfway towards the level cap. I have uninstalled it now, and I don't think I'll play it again soon, if ever. Shame, because I like everything else about it.

Yeah, it's designed for multiple playthroughs. Some of the difficulty levels you unlock later are RIDICULOUS.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 16:18 
Hello Hello Hello

I don't mind easy TBH, probably because I'm like, really old and stuff now.

'Normal' difficulty usually does me just fine these days, and if that's a romp then so be it.

Having said that I did do a True Vault Hunter Mode playthrough on BL2, but then again I didn't find that more difficult in the main than the normal mode playthrough due to all the badass ranks and ace guns I had and stuff. Ultimate Vault Hunter mode was daft though, with even a basic Bullymong taking a small army's worth of firepower to go down.

Anyway as for Diablo 3 even with it being daft easy I'm just enjoying the ride and the destructive rampage of it all and the peerless Blizzard production values.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 21:34 
I forgot about this - how vain

Yeah, I found it far too easy to be fun. No interesting decisions, and comparing items was tedious (rather than a joy) as well. No way I'm sticking it out for it to get challenging down the line.

Might dig it out if I am ill down the line though, as it is mindless enough.

However, I do agree that the PS1's version of Diablo was The Best Version. So much fun. Even if you did need a memory card per character.

Faith schools, scientologists and 2-D platform games.

Reply to topic  [ 441 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9