And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: Anonymity on the internet
PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:51 
Excellent Member

Watched this last night http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-29032399

Well worth a look on catch up TV if you missed it

It covered stuff I knew already TOR and the Silk Road.

Other stuff I didn't know like how Google and Facebook want to use wireless networks in cities to track where people are (even if they don't connect to them) and I guess send adds showing them were shops etc are.

They also said that all the tracking data they can get from web usage my one day be used to refuse medical insurance as what you do might increase the risk of certain diseases.

Post subject: Re: Anonymity on the internet
PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 11:59 
8-Bit Champion
Two heads are better than one

asfish wrote:
Other stuff I didn't know like how Google and Facebook want to use wireless networks in cities to track where people are (even if they don't connect to them) and I guess send adds showing them were shops etc are.

If you have an Android phone sign in here : https://maps.google.com/locationhistory/b/0 ;-)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 12:13 
Isn't that lovely?

zaphod79 wrote:
asfish wrote:

If you have an Android phone sign in here : https://maps.google.com/locationhistory/b/0 ;-)

Just had a look at that, it's not always accurate. It did show quite clearly my trip to the Bristol Ikea in August, and my trips to work, and into Plymouth and so on, but it also said I went to places about 10 miles away from where I know I actually was.

Malc

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 12:31 
Excellent Member

Malc wrote:
zaphod79 wrote:
asfish wrote:

Just had a look at that, it's not always accurate. It did show quite clearly my trip to the Bristol Ikea in August, and my trips to work, and into Plymouth and so on, but it also said I went to places about 10 miles away from where I know I actually was.

Malc

It'll be as accurate as the location was on your phone at the time the snapshot was taken. Sometimes it might not be able to get a GPS lock and might rely on cell towers or other much less accurate stuff so that's where it'll think you are.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 12:33 
Excellent Member

In fact if you click on each point on the map it'll show you the area that each point covers. For the GPS located ones that circle is tiny but for the less accurate snapshots it can show a really big circle of potential placement.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 13:00 
Excellent Member

I don't think that the targeted adds Google deliver are always that accurate.

For example I have a Big Green Egg barbecue, which was very expensive, I use it every week of the year to cook on (more so in the summer)

So I visit a log of forums for tips and recipes and often go to the main UK website to see if there are any new accessory's etc

So the adds keep appearing trying to get me to buy the barbecue I already have!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 13:45 
Isn't that lovely?

Bamba wrote:
Malc wrote:
zaphod79 wrote:
asfish wrote:

Malc

It'll be as accurate as the location was on your phone at the time the snapshot was taken. Sometimes it might not be able to get a GPS lock and might rely on cell towers or other much less accurate stuff so that's where it'll think you are.

Just doing that, The radius of the circle would have to be at least twice as big as it is to get me in it's circumference, maybe even 3 times as big.

Malc

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ]