Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 539 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: SimCity
PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:13 
Excellent Member

At least this has marked the return of the Comical Ali. Long missed.

Well, this is all very dispiriting. Let's hope I can get past it for my proper objective review play tomorrow, eh? But I'm afraid they're going to take some pummelling from me over the fudged population figures at least. Why can't they see? I don't mind running a small city with a few tens of thousands - as long as it's a realistic small city!

Bored? Why not look at some pretty pictures on my photography blog? Here: http://petetakespictures.com

Come & See My Flickery Pics Here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/nervouspete/

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:29 
Excellent Member

I like this review:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GV_94TQUvBA

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:33 
Chinny chin chin

Four_Candles wrote:

Watching now. Seen this guys stuff before. I've seen his review of the BBC Micro version. Not on emulation, he shipped a BBC Micro to the USA!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:58 

It's impressive enough to think that they could convert it to the Beeb, though colourwise I think I prefer the Amiga's default mud brown.

Might try and load it up on Beebem.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 13:06 
Excellent Member

chinnyhill10 wrote:
Four_Candles wrote:

Watching now. Seen this guys stuff before. I've seen his review of the BBC Micro version. Not on emulation, he shipped a BBC Micro to the USA!

Wow, really? Now that's dedication. :D

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 15:30 
Chinny chin chin

Kern wrote:
It's impressive enough to think that they could convert it to the Beeb, though colourwise I think I prefer the Amiga's default mud brown.

Might try and load it up on Beebem.

Same guy as above looks at Sim City on the BBC Micro:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 16:26 
Excellent Member

Thanks. :)

Quite a condemnation that even he (a Sim City fan) doesn't even like the 2013 incarnation.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 22:00 
Excellent Member

Some more info on why the game can be run offline -

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/03 ... sily-done/

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 22:28 
Chinny chin chin

Sim City 2000 Network edition.

Fascinating! 3 players share one map but you buy up real estate and then develop it. You can buy and sell services to land you adjoin. So your neighbour might supply your power and you can buy other services from them.

Sound familier?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 0:56 

SC2000 is the only one I can play. After SC2000, they "kiddified" the user interface to make it more like The Sims (or, more likely, The Sims cribbed from SC3000 - which I imagine came first) and I just couldn't get on with it.

Give me a utilitarian user interface any day.

Oh, and DON'T CUT BACK ON FUNDING. YOU WILL REGRET THAT.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:02 
Skillmeister

Werl, I managed to get a smelting factory at last. Now the entire city is complaining there's no water. Industries close because of it, smelting factory and mines don't work because of it. I'm importing loads, my water facility is maxed out with another 20 or so water towers dotted around the place. The water goes up streets in one large clump meaning that it takes forever to get around the entire map. Because my mines, smelter and trade depots take up so much space, my tax income has dropped dramatically. So much so that I'm now -12k an hour and keep getting warnings "bankrupt in 5 hours!" constantly despite me shipping out >£25k an hour in metals and alloys. All the while my level 3 tech industries are building and immediately closing from complaints of high taxes, no water, no workers, or burning down because the fire engines don't work. Grump.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:06 
Chinny chin chin

Dimrill wrote:
Werl, I managed to get a smelting factory at last. Now the entire city is complaining there's no water. Industries close because of it, smelting factory and mines don't work because of it. I'm importing loads, my water facility is maxed out with another 20 or so water towers dotted around the place. The water goes up streets in one large clump meaning that it takes forever to get around the entire map. Because my mines, smelter and trade depots take up so much space, my tax income has dropped dramatically. So much so that I'm now -12k an hour and keep getting warnings "bankrupt in 5 hours!" constantly despite me shipping out >£25k an hour in metals and alloys. All the while my level 3 tech industries are building and immediately closing from complaints of high taxes, no water, no workers, or burning down because the fire engines don't work. Grump.

Welcome to Hull.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:35 
Excellent Member

One of the nicer game glitches:

http://imgur.com/tYO3fcx

:)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:22 
8-Bit Champion
Two heads are better than one

I think it would be better to talk about the original games but getting back on topic for now it seems that the hackers have found one bit of code in one of the modules which reads

Code:
        kNoRepeatNetworkAlertSeconds : 15,
        kNetDownForceQuitAfterMinutes : 20,

This is the timer that says after 20 minutes offline mode - quit , so commenting that line out allows the game to continue to be played while not connected

Eurogamer article about it from this morning :

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013- ... or-offline

Quote:
Maxis attempts to explain why SimCity is always-online as players discover code for 20-min offline force-shutdown timer

Maxis has attempted to explain why SimCity requires an internet connection to work amid more tinkering from players, this time resulting in the discovery of a 20 minute force shutdown timer for offline play.

Maxis boss Lucy Bradshaw took to EA's website to list what it is that the servers actually do for the game, which has been heavily criticised since its disastrous launch.

In a post called "Straight answers from Lucy", Bradshaw insisted SimCity's always-online requirement was "fundamental to the vision we had for this SimCity".

"It didn't come down as an order from corporate and it isn't a clandestine strategy to control players," she said.

"From the ground up, we designed this game with multiplayer in mind - using new technology to realise a vision of players connected in regions to create a SimCity that captured the dynamism of the world we live in; a global, ever-changing, social world."

EA, Maxis and Bradshaw have come under fire for what appear to be contradicting messages about SimCity's always-online.

Amid the launch chaos Bradshaw told Polygon the servers were required for performance issues.

"We offload a significant amount of the calculations to our servers so that the computations are off the local PCs and are moved into the cloud," she said. "It wouldn't be possible to make the game offline without a significant amount of engineering work by our team."

But, following that interview, a source close to the project told Rock Paper Shotgun that the SimCity servers weren't integral to the game's performance.

"The servers are not handling any of the computation done to simulate the city you are playing," the source explained. "They are still acting as servers, doing some amount of computation to route messages of various types between both players and cities. As well, they're doing cloud storage of save games, interfacing with Origin, and all of that. But for the game itself? No, they're not doing anything."

In her latest post, Bradshaw explained what, exactly, the servers are used for, but, importantly, didn't mention anything about offloading calculations from local PCs. Instead, as expected, the servers are used for multiplayer features and cloud saves only.

"We put a ton of effort into making our simulation and graphics engines more detailed than ever and to give players lively and responsive cities," she said. "We also made innovative use of servers to move aspects of the simulation into the cloud to support region play and social features. Here's just a few:

We keep the simulation state of the region up to date for all players. Even when playing solo, this keeps the interactions between cities up to date in a shared view of the world.
Players who want to reach the peak of each specialization can count on surrounding cities to provide services or resources, even workers. As other players build, your city can draw on their resources.
Our Great Works rely on contributions from multiple cities in a region. Connected services keep each player's contributions updated and the progression on Great Works moving ahead.
All of our social world features - world challenges, world events, world leaderboards and world achievements - use our servers to update the status of all cities.
Our servers handle gifts between players.
We've created a dynamic supply and demand model for trading by keeping a Global Market updated with changing demands on key resources.
We update each city's visual representation as well. If you visit another player's city, you'll see the most up to date visual status.
We even check to make sure that all the cities saved are legit, so that the region play, leaderboards, challenges and achievements rewards and status have integrity.

"Cloud-based saves and easy access from any computer are another advantage of our connected features," Bradshaw continued. "You can pop from work to home, play the game and have your cities available to you anywhere."

Bradshaw said "almost all" players play with connected cities, but some play alone. "But whether they play solo or multiplayer, they are drawn to the connected city experience. And Always-Connected provides a platform for future social features that will play out over regions and servers.

The game we launched is only the beginning for us - it's not final and it never will be. In many ways, we built an MMO
Maxis boss Lucy Bradshaw

"The game we launched is only the beginning for us - it's not final and it never will be. In many ways, we built an MMO."

Many have called for an offline mode. Again, there have been mixed messages on this point, but it appears it's off the table for now.

Bradshaw admitted Maxis could have built a subset offline mode, "but we rejected that idea because it didn't fit with our vision".

"We did not focus on the 'single city in isolation' that we have delivered in past SimCities," she said. "We recognise that there are fans - people who love the original SimCity - who want that. But we're also hearing from thousands of people who are playing across regions, trading, communicating and loving the Always-Connected functionality. The SimCity we delivered captures the magic of its heritage but catches up with ever-improving technology."

Bradshaw's comments come amid more revelations about the troubled game.

Last week a player managed to access SimCity's debug menu and mod the game so it could be played offline indefinitely.

He did this by simply removing the game's in-built timer that forces SimCity to stop working after a period spent disconnected to EA's servers.

Now, players have uncovered the code that governs this, proving that Maxis set a 20 minute time limit of offline play after which the game kicks the player out.

The code for this shutdown time is below, posted to NeoGAF by EmCeeGramr. For modders, removing this always-online code is a simple job. EA, Maxis and Bradshaw will be holding their breath as they wonder how their city simulation will be tweaked next.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 14:58 
Excellent Member

Timeline: "The Fall of Sim City" -

http://embed.verite.co/timeline/?source ... height=600

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 17:39 
SavyGamer

Here's the games you can get one of for free:
Battlefield 3, Bejeweled 3, Dead Space 3, Mass Effect 3, Medal of Honor Warfighter, Need For Speed Most Wanted, Plants vs. Zombies & SimCity 4 Deluxe Edition.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 17:45 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

Wouldn't it be something if everyone went for Simcity 4 and played that instead?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 17:45 
SavyGamer

SC4 has been on the Steam top sellers chart loads recently, without any discount.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 17:53 
ugvm'er at heart...

Hmmm... Either BF3 or NFS MW for me.

Might get BF3 just to see what it is like on the bigger servers, but that feels like a waste as I've played my fill on xbox and I won't have a DLC pass on the PC (I assume having the annual pass thing on xbox doesn't mean you have it on PC)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 20:14 
Hello Hello Hello

I bought NFS:Most Wanted for £25, having spent SEVENTY TWO FUCKING QUID on Sim City Deluxe Edition and using my amazing resulting discount voucher towards NFS:Most Wanted.

I've already got BF3 and Sim City 4 and Plants Vs Zombies, there's nothing else on that list I want.

OH CRUEL FATE WHY DO YOU MOCK ME?

Also, first world problems, I do realise that.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 20:17 
SavyGamer

You should get Dead Space 3 and then give it to me.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 20:17 
Hello Hello Hello

Trooper wrote:
Hmmm... Either BF3 or NFS MW for me.

Either would be a good choice, but you really, really need chums to play BF3 with. (i.e. A proper session with voice comms and a good regular crew who you work with as a squad, know the maps, know the tactics and the weapons, and so on.)

NFS:MW is a cracking game and if you've got the gear to max it out, looks almost unbelievably gorgeous. Bit short though if you don't bolt any DLC on.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 20:18 
Hello Hello Hello

LewieP wrote:

Can you gift stuff on Origin? Happy to do so if that's the case Lewie, I have no need of it.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 21:52 
SavyGamer

AtrocityExhibition wrote:
LewieP wrote:

Can you gift stuff on Origin? Happy to do so if that's the case Lewie, I have no need of it.

Dunno! I guess we can find out when this offer goes live.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 16:17 
ugvm'er at heart...

EA CEO has resigned. Not over this directly I don't think, but I suspect it didn't help!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 16:19 
SavyGamer

I think it's probably more because of their share price falling every year since 2008. The Old Republic was a pretty colossal balls up too. As you say, this can't have helped.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 20:11 
Ticket to Ride World Champion

Well, while I haven't put too much thought into it, haven't EA had a pretty colossal balls up every year since 2008?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 21:16 
Excellent Member

Uodate 1.7 now available:

http://www.reddit.com/r/SimCity/comment ... s_is_live/

Oh, and on the back of that there's this:

http://www.reddit.com/r/SimCity/comment ... tures_and/

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 21:22 
Hello Hello Hello

I think this game has potential once it's all patched up and (hopefully) they stick in a single-player offline region mode.

I was chatting to Teuta today (he posted a couple of pages back) and he's had a lot of fun doing an entire region by himself, although he did hit some of the glass ceilings that have already been alluded to, traffic craziness, economy stuff not working and so on.

The game is in a fairly poor state at the moment but it's so high profile I think Maxis/EA are going to HAVE to patch it up and get it sorted out, and as their 'online required' claims are systematically torn apart, I wouldn't be surprised to see an offline mode introduced 12-24 months down the line, and certainly before they turn the servers off.

I'm still fucked off I dropped £72 on the super deluxe limited edition, but I've not written it off, either. (And I'm having a fucking ball with NFS:Most Wanted in the meantime.)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 21:24 
Filthy Junkie Bitch

Heres a thing - people are still complaining about not having Cheatah speed.

I've had it for a week.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 21:27 
Excellent Member

I still haven't bought it, and have no intention of buying it until a proper single player offline mode is put in (and the AI is vastly improved). I'd really LIKE to buy it though, hence my continued interest in the game.

I'd also like to see the ability to freely create larger cities - at the moment it's more like Sim Town than Sim City .....

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 21:52 
Filthy Junkie Bitch

Ignore previous comment - I hadn't realised that it is no faster than Llama speed. Which is plenty fast enough however.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 0:50 
8-Bit Champion

Cheap joke but :

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:20 
Excellent Member

:D

Meanwhile, I like this little write-up:

http://designislaw.tumblr.com/post/4546 ... verview-of

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 20:36 
Hello Hello Hello

Sorry Lewie no way to gift the free game (the T&Cs seem to explicitly rule it out, in fact).

So then, gotta be Mass Effect 3 I guess, since I already have BF3, Sim City 4 and NFS:Most Wanted. (And Plants Vs Zombies.)

Attachment:
freebie.JPG

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 20:43 
ugvm'er at heart...

Don't feel too bad, I really enjoyed ME3 :)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 21:08 
SavyGamer

Never mind, thanks for trying. I suppose they would have probably got a lot of people reselling keys if they did it that way.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 21:09 
Hello Hello Hello

Trooper wrote:
Don't feel too bad, I really enjoyed ME3 :)

I would heartily recommend you give NFS:Most Wanted a try for your free game Trooper, if you can look past the GOUGING FUCKING DLC, it really is a splendid game.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:46 
Excellently Membered

Has this new patch help fix the game then? I'm still tempted by it.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:48 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

I'd wait for the next one.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:51 
Excellently Membered

SimCity 2 ? :p

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 19:08 
Hello Hello Hello

itsallwater wrote:
Has this new patch help fix the game then? I'm still tempted by it.

I'll be giving it another few weeks, maybe a month or more, they're going to have to fix it, the only question is how long it'll take.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 23:16 
Excellent Member

A new review:

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/03 ... ore-146846

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 18:49 
Excellent Member

Wow - impressive road!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... mcXhU#t=0s

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 19:00 
Filthy Junkie Bitch

Where's you review Pete? I'm still on tenterhooks.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 19:34 
Hello Hello Hello

Four_Candles wrote:

It shows off the 3D engine very nicely, I'll give it that.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 14:31 
8-Bit Champion

Yahtzee's review :

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/ ... 53-SimCity

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:45 
Skillmeister

Annnnd the first dulluck is bullshit corporate advertising backscratching shit.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:08 
Filthy Junkie Bitch

Dimrill wrote:

As pointed out on their forums, as you can't claim an abandoned city which has DLC content in it which you don't have, this has already spawned a new level of griefing whereby people join a multiplayer map, drop a LEAF charging station and nothing else, then leave it, meaning that that city is now unplayable by anyone who hasn't/doesn't want to claim the LEAF, and fucking up the region.

This has already been an issue to a significant extent with people who started cities who had the Emperors New Clothes edition in a region, then changed server when they brought the new ones on line.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:08 
ugvm'er at heart...

Dimrill wrote:

:facepalm:

This game is a travesty.

Reply to topic  [ 539 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next