Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 94 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: What does everyone here do?
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 12:49 
Sleepyhead

Obviously since some of us post on here all the effing time (myself included), the correct answer would be 'not a lot'.

That is, however, not the intention of this thread. Here, should you so desire, you can inform others of what you do, or what you get up to outside of work and/or video games.

I'm interested to see if there are correlations, or if others might like the same things as I, so I can form a cleek with them* converse with them on interesting points.

I had better start, before seeing this thread sink to the bottom of the internet.

I work in what could loosely be called risk management. That said, it's mostly manipulating spreadsheets and telling people off for not completing various controls that they should have done, all of which of course prevent a financial meltdown.

Outside work, I mainly devote my time to music (listeneing to as opposed to playing), sports (both watching and competing in), literature (both reading and writing), alcohol (as an avid consumer of wine) and the ubiquitous video games.

...and I just realised that I have bored even myself with this post.

I'm going to post it anyway, though, just to confirm what a dullard I am.

:)

*please note this is me being tongue-in-cheek, and not naughty

Post subject: Re: What does everyone here do?
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 12:50 
What-ho, chaps!

Tongue-in-cleek, surely?

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 12:51 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

I work in IT doing enterprise architecture, and spend a good amount of my time dodging people in risk management.

Hobbies are reading, computer games, fishkeeping, cooking, and gardening.

Goodness I'm a dullard.

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 12:55 
Son of a Reaperman

I work as an artworker for an advertising company. We basically take master artwork from a creative agency and then adapt it to size, typeset new copy etc. generally get it ready for publication.
Outside of work, curiously enough Curiosity, I do pretty much the same as you, minus the sport and exercise at the moment because I've managed to do both my feet in jumping off a wall and have a fractured rib from boxing with my flatmates when we were pissed the other weekend.

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 12:57 
Legendary Boogeyman

I work as a Database Manager, a job I've had for the last 8 weeks. I'm here on a minimum 1 year contract which might get extended after that. I've been on a series of contracts in the last two or three years mostly doing web, or database/web stuff. Currently I'm managing a tootload of clinical data for a clinical research centre.

Hobbies include murder, pick'n'mix monitoring, and DIY. I'm rock'n'roll, me.

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 12:58 
Gogmagog

Research Scientist soon to be dolescum. Working on a variety of stuff, I spend most of my days doing molecular biology and small scale expression screening. On occasion, I do teaching of people from other places.

I quite enjoy reading and going to the pub and watching football and playing computer games and riding my motorbike like a twat.

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 12:59 
Isn't that lovely?

I do 3rd line support for a company that sells computer based tills and back office stock management systems. I get to (mostly) avoid speaking to customers instead speaking to engineers and our 1st/2nd line teams. I also get to work from home 5 days out of 10.

I find I have little time for hobbies, what with having 3 kids. But I used to be interested in reading, sci fi, computers, the internet, cycling (doing, not watching), football (playing and watchin), films, eating, playing quake 3 to a fairly competitive level and other things.

Malc

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 13:03 
Time Out for Fun

I used to work as a canvasser, posting leaflets for bairstow eves the biggest estate agent in the land, wow, for nearly 5 years straight which is strange since Ive only just turned 21 last month, eeek.
Anyone I packed that in to concentrate on my final year of uni, where I am doing a film and media course, and Im doing my dissertation on the representation of race within the tv series 'the wire'.
when im not mumbling shit to myself and others on here, I threaten to make music, by myself and as a band, but fail to go through with it, although im going to try get the latest future prospect going since Ive finallygot a drummer.
I also listen to music, get drunk and act a fool, watch tv pretty much only for sport and use the internet for 70% of any of my TV and film watching.
and finally yes I play games everyone else plays on here.

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 13:07 
INFINITE POWAH

I am a solicitor, as you have all been bored to death with my repeated mentions of. I work on commercial contracts (buying and selling goods and services, at its most basic, but also more interesting things like relationships between nuclear industry bodies, and stuff to do with dairy co-operatives and cows. Moo!). I sadly don't get to go to court ever, wear a wig, or shout "OBJECTION!", except at my roommate.

Outside of work, I mostly look after pregnant Mrs C and play with Master C. Before we had children, I spent most of my spare time either playing games (mostly PS2, XBox and PC, and of that mostly FPSs, flight sims and RTSs), making model aeroplanes, flying radio controlled aeroplanes, drinking ales and wine, running, and doing lots of walking. Since Master Chris turned up a year and a half ago I've done much less of all of those, but I still manage to do as much running at lunchtimes. Yay me, eh? I suspect I'll have even less time to do anything when Junior Junior turns up.

Oh - I also do lots of gardening, and am building walls, terracing, laying lawns and all sorts of things most evenings and weekends.

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 13:11 
I forgot about this - how vain

I'm rapidly coming to the end of (or at least running out of money for) a PhD in Astrophysics.

I've no idea at all what I'm doing afterwards. I need someone to pay me to be a renaissance man. Ideally I would love a job working for a humanist charity or something.

Outside of my PhD I play with my blog, try to see my friends a bit, play a few computer games and watch Seinfeld.

Faith schools, scientologists and 2-D platform games.

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 13:13 

Employed as a Technical Manager (glorified Web Developer) for a graphic design agency in my home town. Worked there full-time for the last four years, moved to part time (three days a week) at the start of April to pursue a job with another agency 30 miles away that, in theory, should allow me to equal my monthly paypacket at the other job just from 2 days a week of work ;)

In both jobs I basically do PHP programming, server and hosting management, tech support etc. Most website programming is based from my own custom content/web management framework which allows me to crank out basic content-managed sites stupidly quickly (1.5 hours is the record so far).

Outside of work, I do yet more freelance work in the same field, rifle shooting (air rifle mainly), gaming and poker. Not much of the latter though, as I don't generally play for money with anyone except my brothers and they are spread out all over the UK so we're rarely all in the same room together.

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 13:14 
Legendary Boogeyman

We sound similar Gaz, as PHP is my backend of choice (hoho!).

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 13:16 
lazy eye patch

Mr Chris wrote:
also more interesting things like relationships between nuclear industry bodies or diary co-operatives

Will this nuclear diary replace the atomic clock?

Myself, I work doing websites, doing code doing but also some drawing. See like what GazChap said. In my spare time I mostly paint myself nude in imitations of different deific icons, mostly the Greek gods. Lately I have got well back in to comics and that, which is nice. My feet are never at the temperature I want them to be at.

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 13:21 
Hibernating Druid

I work as a Graphic Designer. Although my day to day work gets kinda repetitive I still really enjoy doing my own personal work, Illustration & painting. Playing games gets in the way of me being more productive (I'm sure I'm not on my own) but I love games I do.

As for hobbies, I enjoy getting stuck into the garden, cooking and drinking fine ale. Gleefully sucking music out of the internet and talking shite on this forum.

x

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 13:22 
Chinny chin chin

I mong on the internet all day.

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 13:22 
Excellent Member

Despite not having posted much here yet (busy busy times!) I have decided to both bore you all and turn you all against me at the same time.

I work for the Inland Revenue (Or HMRC as it's now called) in...Risk Management, albeit of a different kind. I essentially look for people who appear not to be paying enough tax and try to get them to pay more.

I get paid to be a complete bastard.

Outside of work I have recently started playing tennis, gym twice a week and swim most mornings. I enjoy watching painfully bad films (I have Uwe Boll's SEED to watch tonight) and spending time with my friends/girlfriend. When I get the opportuinty I do very much enjoy playing video games but sadly don't get as much time as I would like to nowadays.

I also enjoy long walks on the beach.

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 13:23 
EvilTrousers

I'm a Finance Manager which basically involves working on numerous spreadsheets, Sage and negotiating deals with all sorts of people. It's pretty stressful and sometimes I long for the days when I was back in IT just stopping things from breaking and blinding people with three letter acronyms then typing ipconfig/all in a dos prompt to hear people say "What manner of wizardry is this? Truly you are the chosen one." Having said that the current job is probably the most interesting I have had by quite some way.

Free time involves family mostly as I'm at work 6 days a week a lot of the time so whatever leisure time I get is pretty much devoted to them. I do weight training in my gym* a few nights a week and grab gaming time on the consoles when I can but it's a lot less than it used to be.

* garage.

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 13:25 

CUS wrote:
In my spare time I mostly paint myself nude in imitations of different deific icons, mostly the Greek gods.

Don't be shy man. I'm sure everyone would like to see these works.

I do intranet and internet stuff as well as being mithered by everyone who knows my name to fix general IT faults so they can avoid phoning the helpdesk. I work from home mostly, if I'm honest it's a pretty sweet deal.

Other than that I like skateboarding, videogames, radio controlled things that fly, having an aquarium (not sure what the actual name for that hobby is) going up to The Lakes and sitting watching telly.

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 13:27 
EvilTrousers

Mr Chris wrote:
I work on commercial contracts

My ex was a solicitor and I went out with her and her work mates once and they kept talking about "COCO" referring to the above. It was about half way through the night when I realised they didn't actually all work at the cocoa processing factory on one of the industrial estates in Hull.

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 13:37 
Part physicist, part WARLORD

I guess I'm a graphic/web designer, though I object to the title because I don't think I'm good enough to have earned it yet.

Outside of work, I like to go off exploring on my motorbike, taking photos of stuff or playing guitar.

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 13:40 
Heavy Metal Tough Guy

Another Interweb nerd here. Doing Perl website junk all day. Fairly dull.

I also like gardening and fine real ale. Also books ( sci-fi, spy / crime stuff and history ) and a bit of cycling.

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 13:43 
Comfortably Dumb

I was initially taken on here to offer tech support for a new web-based product the company was launching but as that takes up less than an hour of my time a week it's a good job there's lots of other IT things that need doing. Currently, the task is to get people to agree on the new company website. The plan is to launch the new site on May 1st so, er, not going great.

In my spare time I like to breathe in and then out again.

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 13:44 

I'm working as an admin whilst I get around to thinking about the whole scary career thing. Outside of that I drink ale, read far too much, play squash, occasionaly go hiking or canoeing (not as often as I'd like), and have recently got involved with a historical re-enactment group. And I'm a heck of a lot more interesting than I sound. Possibly.

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 13:47 
Legendary Boogeyman

I'd like to point out I don't class myself as a web 'designer' because I can't design. I suck at design. My image skills are rudimentary and my website layouts are simple and unremarkable. Employ me now!

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 13:49 
Hibernating Druid

"you got the brains, I've got the looks, lets make quite a comfortable living"

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 13:53 

ComicalGnomes wrote:
I'd like to point out I don't class myself as a web 'designer' because I can't design. I suck at design. My image skills are rudimentary and my website layouts are simple and unremarkable. Employ me now!

Yes, I'm the same. Perhaps you are, in fact, me. Just with a fascination for abominably large snacks.

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 13:55 
Heavy Metal Tough Guy

GazChap wrote:
ComicalGnomes wrote:

Yes, I'm the same. Perhaps you are, in fact, me. Just with a fascination for abominably large snacks.

Same here. I have the artisitic skills of a badger carcass ( and not a pickled one, in a glass tank in a fasionable Mayfair gallery, either. Just a regular one. )

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 13:56 
INFINITE POWAH

Trousers wrote:
Mr Chris wrote:
I work on commercial contracts

My ex was a solicitor and I went out with her and her work mates once and they kept talking about "COCO" referring to the above. It was about half way through the night when I realised they didn't actually all work at the cocoa processing factory on one of the industrial estates in Hull.

Heh.

However, "CoCo" is "corporate/commercial", being the corporate law bastards who do the work on buying and selling companies as well as pretending do the commercial contracts. They're cunts. Not like us pure commercial sorts. We work less hours, too. :)

I'd prefer the cocoa though.

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 14:01 
making out to faces of death

In light of Mr Grinch's revelation, I'm not sure I should say. :p

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 14:03 

I mentioned in the "weekend" thread last week that Friday I was going to a job interview. Well, I got the call this morning and I got the job!! :D So, in 4 weeks time I will be an AV Technician in the (dead good) Uni of Manchester. I'm rather excitable today, it has been an excellent week all round! I've gotta figure moving to Manchester now, though. Cripes.

I have loads of things I do in my free time since I am sans kid or bird, so music (making/listening), watching films, walking, cycling, rock climbing, reading books (but mainly of the dissertation kind atm, since I'm working hard to finish my MA... nearly done though!), travelling to see friends and new places and a bunch of other stuff I do occasionally like getting tattooed, playing on my DS and more.

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 14:04 
making out to faces of death

Well done! :DD

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 14:06 
Sleepyhead

Runcle wrote:
Im doing my dissertation on the representation of race within the tv series 'the wire'.

I wrote mine on 'sharpening the seeing of giant optical teelscopes'... and you get to watch the best TV show ever?

NO FAIR!

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 14:07 
Legendary Boogeyman

pupil wrote:
I mentioned in the "weekend" thread last week that Friday I was going to a job interview. Well, I got the call this morning and I got the job!! :D

Given I live in Manchester, and work for the same humble university, I'm happy to offer you advice on any relevant stuff. After you start you'll be able to look me up on the internal staff directory and EVERYTHING. Fun.

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 14:08 
Hibernating Druid

Nice one Pupil. Chuffed for you mate.

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 14:09 
INFINITE POWAH

Congrats, Pupil!

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 14:12 
lazy eye patch

Booooo! Booooo Pupil! Boooooooooooooooooooooo!

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 14:14 
Isn't that lovely?

Well done Pupil, sounds like you will do a similar job to what my brother does for Sony BMG

Malc

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 14:15 

Excellent news, Pupil. Well done. Try not to get shot though.

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 14:25 

I get paid to do virtually nothing at the moment - and it's driving me totally fucking mental. I work for a not-so-popular-it-seems printer manufacturer providing technical support for our large business customers. Until about a month ago I was permanently stationed at one of those client sites working entirely on that contract, but now I've been moved to our head office to spearhead a more general enhanced support helpdesk. However, as is typical here, no one has done any of the ground work needed for me to do my job and none of it is stuff I can do myself. So I sit here and browse the web all day. Apparentely this will all change in about a week or two, but I'm already on the lookout for a new job.

In the evenings I'm way too tired to do anything useful, as a day of nothing combined with a 60-mile round trip wears a guy out. At the weekends, I occasionally play videogames, which annoys my girlfriend immensily.

Life's a bit shit at the moment, to be honest. Sorry guys! :)

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 14:28 
Sleepyhead

Zio wrote:
Life's a bit shit at the moment, to be honest. Sorry guys! :)

I do hope you'll still be drowning your sorrows with us tonight though...

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 14:29 

Doing nothing knackers you out doesn't it. The day just drags, then you're too shattered to do anything in the evening, so you go to bed. Then it's tomorrow instantly >:(

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 14:33 
Isn't that lovely?

nynfortoo wrote:
Doing nothing knackers you out doesn't it. The day just drags, then you're too shattered to do anything in the evening, so you go to bed. Then it's tomorrow instantly >:(

That's what I say is my "weakness" when asked at job interviews. "I hate doing nothing, in an udderless ship without a captain at the helm."

Malc

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 14:36 

Spinglo Sponglo! wrote:
That's what I say is my "weakness" when asked at job interviews. "I hate doing nothing, in an udderless ship without a captain at the helm."

Malc

I like that answer. I always struggle on that question without shooting myself in the foot.

Comfortably Dumb

Spinglo Sponglo! wrote:
nynfortoo wrote:

Malc

Are there many ships with udders then?

INFINITE POWAH

Spinglo Sponglo! wrote:
an udderless ship

It's a hard life in the Moo-chant Navy.

EDIT - Damn!

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 14:38 
Comfortably Dumb

nynfortoo wrote:
Malc wrote:

Malc

I like that answer.

I reckon I'll have to start using that answer instead of 'coke and whores'

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 14:39 

It really does knacker you - I never felt this tired when I was busy.

I really want to go to this Beardy Beer night tonight, but like a twat forgot I'm supposed to be doing something else this evening. I'll definitely come along if I can get out of my other plans though.

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 14:41 
Isn't that lovely?

Mr Chris wrote:
Malc wrote:
an udderless ship

EDIT - Damn!

Tits!

Malc

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 14:43 
Comfortably Dumb

Spinglo Sponglo! wrote:
Mr Chris wrote:
Malc wrote:
an udderless ship

EDIT - Damn!

Tits!

Malc

Aha.. we got your real weakness out of you.

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 14:44 
Heavy Metal Tough Guy

Malc made a simple mistake. There's no need to milk it.

Reply to topic  [ 94 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next