Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ] 
 Post subject: Dear Esther
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 5:15 

Played this last night and I approve. More of this sort of thing plz.

Post subject: Re: Dear Esther
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:27 
Excellent Member

I've played through it twice already and it's bloody wonderful. On replaying it you find so many things that you missed the first time around; there's a lot of background story to be uncovered, and I love unravelling the little mysteries behind the story.

ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
Have you encountered any of the ghosts yet?

For those who are curious, here's the main web site:

http://dear-esther.com/

It's not a game in the strictest sense, you can't physically interact with anything - you walk around at a steady pace soaking up the atmosphere, listening to the snippets of narration, looking at objects and writings, and formulating your own idea of what is going on.

The graphics are gorgeous (just wait until you enter the main cave system ........ ) and the music is wonderful.

The game is also damn creepy in places, and terribly sad in others.

I'd heartily recommend it - most reviews are very positive, and most people seem to love it.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:36 
Excellent Member

Heh, that reminds me that I bought this the other day and haven't actually played it yet! Should probably do something about that this weekend. I did play it in it's original form so I know what to expect but I'm looking forward to seeing it with the improved graphics.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:39 
Excellent Member

Hope you enjoy it - please report back with your observations. :)

Must admit that I never played the original mod but I've seen screenshots and videos of it, and this newer incarnation simply blows it out of the water. What they've done with the old Source engine is bloody marvellous.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 12:45 
Bad Girl

I saw the review in Edge and had to find out what it was all about. Damn you PC owners for having something genuinely interesting to play because this is never ever coming to the consoles is it. Gah!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 13:10 
Excellent Member

Ian Fairies wrote:
I saw the review in Edge and had to find out what it was all about. Damn you PC owners for having something genuinely interesting to play because this is never ever coming to the consoles is it. Gah!

The dev first wanted to see if the PC version was a success - it has been (resoundingly so) and a Mac version is due in the next few months. I believe that console versions are also now planned.

Meanwhile, get yourself a PC. :)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 14:01 
Excellent Member

Spoiler free review here:

http://www.gamezebo.com/games/dear-esther/review

Another review, very mild spoilers and a couple of screenshots:

http://thekoalition.com/2012/02/dear-esther-review/

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 16:34 
Excellent Member

Just finished playing the third chapter of this. First things first: it's fucking gorgeous. Seriously, the visuals they're wringing out of the creaky old Source engine are nothing short of electronic voodoo. The rendering of the moody, windswept island and it's surrounding sea is impressive enough but that moment in caves when your view opens out to the
waterfall
is genuinely jaw-dropping. Wandering the caves, and indeed some parts of the island, put me mostly in mind of Skyrim. But with better textures.

As for the gameplay itself; it's patchy. Huge sections of the island are bordering on boring to walk through. You can see the next structure or interesting looking blot on the landscape but it'll take you the sort of age to crawl slowly towards it that has you itching for a 'sprint' function. Once into the caves though the whole thing gets a million times better though as, not only is there more to look at, but the claustrophobic nature of the setting means you're simply not able to see miles ahead of you which keeps you from thinking about the time it'll take to move on. Although I struggled a bit with the earlier episodes, during the caves section I totally lost myself in the exploring and the gorgeouesness of it all.

There are also some issues with the audio clips happening either out of sequence, or even just not matching what you actually do. For example, just before the caves, the narrator tells you about
the shepherd that used to live there and his death and whatnot
. One of the times I played that section I got a clip about
what happened after his death
and shortly afterwards the clip informing me that
he had actually died and how it happened
which were blatantly supposed to play the other way round. Similarly, just before heading into the caves, you get the clip talking about how the narrator has
fallen down the cliff and broken his leg
. The thing is though that there's a nice path leading down the cliff side you can amble down which makes that whole clip into a nonsense. In an environment that's as tightly controlled as this one, you'd think the least they could do is make sure the story follows your actual movements.

The above are nitpicks though to be honest and they only briefly prickle your immersion; in general I'm really enjoying it and about to plunge back in for the final chapter.

I realise I've gone a bit spoiler mental above but as the story and gameplay are so subtle I thought I'd err on the side of caution for anyone reading this.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 17:03 
Excellent Member

Good to see they're you're mainly enjoying it. :)

To address a couple of your points, first the "audio clips being out of sequence or not matching what you do" - they are supposed to be like that are they are semi-random and each passage isn't necessarily supposed to reflect where you are in the game. As I understand it the game has three scripts, all telling the same story, but the game semi-randomly picks appropriate passages from each script as it progresses. On each playthrough many of these passages will change, and each give you more insight into the story. Basically you're reading random pages from a diary.

As for "Huge sections of the island are bordering on boring to walk through" - well, each to his own, but I didn't find ANY of it boring, even now that I've played through it a few times. Loved it all. :D

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 17:42 
Excellent Member

Four_Candles wrote:
As for "Huge sections of the island are bordering on boring to walk through" - well, each to his own, but I didn't find ANY of it boring, even now that I've played through it a few times. Loved it all. :D

Having just finished the final chapter I still think the first two chapters are a bit low on the interest scale; by contrast the final two chapters are much, much more engaging. It may be a deliberate decision, to slowly ramp up the amount of stuff going on as the narrator loses his grip on reality, but it's noticeable to me and, to anyone who has issues with the game initially, I'd urge you to reserve judgement until the caves chapter.

As to the randomness of the audio clips, what you say makes sense but as the commentary does so often follow what's happening it sets the expectation that it always will. The points when it then deviates are then pretty jarring at times and it doesn't seem like it would have been too difficult to keep things consistent while also allowing for some leeway. As I say thought, it's hardly a deal-breaker or anything.

Anyway, spoilerific questions/thoughts:

• What's the relationship between the narrator and Donnelly? Initially it seems pretty clear cut that Donnelly is a separate person who'd come to the island before the narrator. But then you find out that Esther, who's presumably the narrator's wife, is also a Donnelly which confuses things.
  • I loved the part in the caves when you're standing on the bridge and notice something flowing down the river below you and, if you follow it, you find loads of paper boats all piled up at the far end of the cave. Which is curious given that the same paper boats are then found floating in the sea in the next chapter.
  • Any thoughts on the circuit diagrams daubed around the place? I couldn't see any obvious connection with the narrative.
  • The bit with the flooded motorway's fucking brilliant!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 15:13 
Excellent Member

Looks like Dear Esther is available for free this weekend (August 25th and 26th) via Onlive:

http://blog.onlive.com/

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 21:15 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Ooh. I'll have a go later, then.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 21:57 
Excellent Member

Cool. It only take about 1.5 hours to play through it, although it has great replay value as the pieces of narrative and objects that you come across are semi-randomly played/placed. Each playthrough you learn a bit more about story.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 23:13 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Four_Candles wrote:
Looks like Dear Esther is available for free this weekend (August 25th and 26th) via Onlive:

http://blog.onlive.com/

Oi! Ian Aris! Lookit!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 23:53 
Bad Girl

Just signed up! I'll give it a punt tomorrow.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 20:07 
Bad Girl

Step 1: Sign up, download something.
Step 2: Get excited.
Step 3: Get told that the wireless Internet connection isn't fast enough to use OnLive.
Step 4: Connect special yellow wire from lappy to Internet box.
Step 5: Get told again that my Internet connection isn't fast enough to use OnLive.

No wonder it went tits up. Pah.

I'll wait till it comes to consoles then... still.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 23:20 
Excellent Member

Well that's just daft that OnLive won't let you sign up.

As for a console version - the dev was interviewed and asked about that possibility a few months ago, and the chances were very unlikely. It's out now for Windows and Mac and a Linux version is being developed.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:28 
Excellent Member

If anyone was considering this but put off by the price, Steam are doing it for £1.74 for the next six and half hours.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:32 
Unpossible!

Defo worth a punt at that price.

*YOINK!*

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:23 
Excellent Member

You'd be mad not to. :D

As of July, Dear Esther had sold over 250,000 copies.

It's won a good amount of awards too (six of them in the recent TIGA Games Industry Awards):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dear_Esthe ... al_release

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:32 
Bad Girl

Ooh, I forgot that I'd got this free on that other service (I forget the name) but couldn't play it since my Internet was shit.

I now have megabroadbeams shooting up my telly box!

I'll go back and see if it'll let me play it now. Whoop.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 12:03 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

Bought... Another game that I won't play.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 12:06 

It's only short, you'll finish it in a couple of hours.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 12:11 
Excellent Member

markg wrote:

But it has great replay value (can't remember how many times I've played though it now :) )

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 12:25 
Sleepyhead

markg wrote:

Dear Gaywood?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 12:27 

I've also taken a punt - looks like it should definitely be worth a look.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 12:47 
Excellent Member

Just remember that it's not an action game, it's more of an atmospheric visual book with a story that is open to interpretation.

Some of those that dislike it (and prefer to be spoon fed, preferably with "gunz an' 'splosions") describe it as a 'walking simulator'.

Yes, you walk - no running, no jumping, no touching or picking up objects. But there's more to it than that if you let it suck you in.

Just take your time and absorb yourself in the wonderful narrative, lovely visuals and hauntingly beautiful soundtrack. :)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 13:32 
Hibernating Druid

Curiosity wrote:
markg wrote:

Dear Gaywood?

Tedious :attitude:

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 15:50 
Honey Boo Boo

Ian Fairies wrote:

I'll wait till it comes to consoles then... still.

Dear Esther 2: Die Esther! You are leader of a squad of US Navy SEALS on a top secret mission to the isolated island fortress of Esther, the enormous breasted super villain. Separated from your squaaaaad, you need to rescue them while fighting off her army of mercenaries, mutants and robots.

Features:
-cover based shooting
-QTEs
-audio logs in place of actual storytelling
-perks and an XP system
-dubstep soundtrack
-awesome takedown moves, including carving out and enemy's heart, roasting it with parsnips, onions and rosemary and serving it with a fresh garden salad.
-terrible, unbalanced multiplayer
-broken co-op

Preorder now on Origin to get exclusive weapon skins!

Dear Esther 2. Spring 2013

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 15:51 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

That sounds fucking awesome. Got a link?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 16:18 
Honey Boo Boo

I should do a Kickstarter for it, and then just give everyone copies of SIN: Episode 1 and claim that 'we only had time to implement the big tits on the villain'.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 17:57 
Kinda Funny Lookin'

While not exactly the same (or in the district if same), this trailer for the 'combatless' Survival Horror "Outlast" looks rather spiffy.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 20:07 
Excellent Member

75% off sale now finished for Dear Esther, but still at 50% off - that ends on Nov 27th.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 0:50 
Bad Girl

Bloody lovely that.

So does the island exist? I might need to play that again which ain't so bad as it only took an hour from start to finish.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:15 
:insincere:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:37 
Excellent Member

Saturnalian wrote:
Bloody lovely that.

So does the island exist? I might need to play that again which ain't so bad as it only took an hour from start to finish.

In a way - the general outline is based off the island of Boreray in the Outer Hebrides. Naturally the features of the interior are fictional. :)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 21:02 
Bad Girl

I actually meant whether the island is like a spirit world. I'm assuming you play Esther and you're dead or in limbo. Why? A number of reasons but the best one is when you 'die' in the game the narrator whispers "come back".

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 21:04 
Unpossible!

DavPaz wrote:

*YOINK!*

Ahem, four years later, I have started playing this :)

Good innit? Creepy. Had to stop as I got to the caves for parenting and stuff. Will go back to it later

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 22:45 
Excellent Member

The caves bit boggled my mind as I realised that it's being generated by the same engine that was used for Half Life 2 and it's still capable of looking incredible.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 23:00 
Soopah red DS

DavPaz wrote:
DavPaz wrote:

*YOINK!*

Ahem, four years later, I have started playing this :)

Good innit? Creepy. Had to stop as I got to the caves for parenting and stuff. Will go back to it later

27th April 2012, I apparently installed it. Just opened it for the first time. Rock on!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 0:44 
Soopah red DS

Bloody hell. So opening that for 'a quick peek' before sleep didn't work for the sleep part, did it? Goosebumps just going down now.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 8:21 
Unpossible!

I swear I saw someone walk past a hole in the cliff face as I was walking down to the cave.

Hopefully I'll get to finish it tonight

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 9:54 
Soopah red DS

Shudder. It seemed full of that sort of possibility. The first time I saw
a candle
I got the willies.
A candle! But... someone must have put it there. I thought. Then it made me think about who 'I' was in the game and so on. Brilliant stuff.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 9:56 
Unpossible!

The very first thing I did in the game was walk back off the launch and into the water. There was darkness with some very faint images of a lighthouse and the aerial, then a voice said "come back" and I was ok.

So, yeah, I was pretty creeped out right from the start.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 9:35 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

Saturnalian wrote:

I wish Sat was still around so I could say "In your face! This is out on consoles today"

And... reading through this thread tells me that I already own this on my PC! Wow.. I should get around to playing it.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 19:21 
Excellent Member

Yup, it's been ported to Unity and released on Xbox One and PS4 today and is called Dear Esther: Landmark Edition -

http://dear-esther.com/?page_id=1547

This Unity port will also be made available for free to current PC and Mac owners of the game, but not for a few months.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 13:32 
Unpossible!

DavPaz wrote:
I swear I saw someone walk past a hole in the cliff face as I was walking down to the cave.

Hopefully I'll get to finish it tonight

Nearly 6 months later... I finished it!

That's the sort of game I love. Now I get to go and read other peoples interpretations.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 14:00 
Excellent Member

Well done on completing it. :)

There's quite a bit of useful and interesting info on the Steam forum for the game:

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/f ... php?f=1346

It's also worth re-playing the game as you get to see different pieces of dialogue and some of the placed objects change around. The game is very much open to interpretation which is why I love it so much.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 9:14 
Unpossible!

forgot to post this the other day after playing Dear Esther. Damn, for a Source Engine Game, it sure is pretty.

Attachment:
20160927130459_1.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 10:27 
Excellent Member

Nice isn't it? :)

Actually, there's kind of a clue to the narrative in that and other similar images ............ but you need to look at it from slightly farther back when you're playing the game.

Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]