Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 113 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: Games you've never finished
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:14 
Honey Boo Boo

Alberto wrote:
Thinking back to PS2 days, I don't think I ever actually finished the first Max Payne game :S

Me neither. That dream sequence (surely it doesn't matter if I finish it or not, it's a dream and not real!) where you had to run along a practically invisible blood trail surrounded by bottomless pits while a fucking baby wailed constantly in the background... switched it off, never went back.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:15 
UltraMod

It was a drug-induced dream, so if you didn't get to the end your brain stopped functioning and you died. ;)

That bit was really easy, anyway. :S

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:21 
Unpossible!

The second dream... harder.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:24 
Honey Boo Boo

After falling off the path for the fiftieth time with that constant shrieking I decided perhaps it was best if Max succumbed to his mentalness.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:04 
Excellent Member

I never understood the moaning about those bits; the baby's screaming was irritating and you maybe fell off the path of a couple of times but it was never properly difficult. The bit in the fucking building site in Max Payne 2 where, as Mona, you had to snipe all the fucking bad guys to keep Max alive however: that was a bastard nightmare. To the extent I had to cheat my way through it because there was no fucking way in hell I'd have managed it otherwise.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:10 
UltraMod

Max Payne 1 & 2 were pretty much the only games I completed of the previous generation. I didn't have to cheat either, I just really loved those games.

MP3 is going to be shit. :(

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:23 
Skillmeister

Mimi wrote:
Did you ever play Doshin the Giant, Dimrill?

I did! Another one I didn't complete. Getting the little guys to inter-breed was difficult.

Mimi wrote:
I think I played Magical Melody but thought it was on the Wii.

It was re-released on the Wii over here, I'd bought it as an import on the Gamecube because I was sick of waiting for a release date. My Chibi-Robo was an import too, simply because I didn't want to spend 40 quid or more on the UK version, as that was like hen's teeth.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 14:59 
Slightly Brackish

The wailing baby dream bits were bad I recall, but I did pass them. Not sure why, but I stopped when you have to escape from a burning building (restaurant), failed a few times and somehow just never tried again. Very unlike me looking back now, I'm slightly confused :S

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 15:00 
UltraMod

Alberto wrote:
The wailing baby dream bits were bad I recall, but I did pass them. Not sure why, but I stopped when you have to escape from a burning building (restaurant), failed a few times and somehow just never tried again. Very unlike me looking back now, I'm slightly confused :S

Yeah, you used to play good games, no matter how difficult they were. Now you play bad games for easy gamerscore. Very sad. :(

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 15:02 
Slightly Brackish

myp wrote:
Alberto wrote:

Yeah, you used to play good games, no matter how difficult they were. Now you play bad games for easy gamerscore. Very sad. :(

That reminds me, I should give you some of them back :p

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 15:03 
UltraMod

Please. :D

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 15:24 
Bad Girl

I forgot that I gave up in disgust at what they'd done to the murder sim Manhunt 2. I absolutely loved the first but the Wii sequel was a fucking abomination.

I got to the second level and traded it in. I don't think I've ever been so outraged about a game before but I just couldn't believe what they'd done to it.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 15:26 
UltraMod

Ian Fairies wrote:
I forgot that I gave up in disgust at what they'd done to the murder sim Manhunt 2. I absolutely loved the first but the Wii sequel was a fucking abomination.

I got to the second level and traded it in. I don't think I've ever been so outraged about a game before but I just couldn't believe what they'd done to it.

I'm glad I didn't bother with it now. The first one was great. I didn't finish it though (surprise, surprise).

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 15:30 
Paws for thought

Mmm. Gamecube
Metrosexual prime - the omega pirate bear me. In the end I had to cheat to get past him to the end of the game. Came close to having to do the same with Ridley.
Metroid prime 2: the final boss sequence was too long, frankly.

F zero gx - even with an infinite life + boost cheat I couldn't beat the penultimate set of levels.

Starfox adventures - reached a shit boss fight and was bored of the game.

Majors mask - couldn't get past fish boss.

Xiii - reached final boss, but didn't have enough health/ammo to beat him.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 15:38 
Master of dodgy spelling....

Mr Dave wrote:
Mmm. Gamecube
Metrosexual prime - the omega pirate bear me. In the end I had to cheat to get past him to the end of the game. Came close to having to do the same with Ridley.

F zero gx - even with an infinite life + boost cheat I couldn't beat the penultimate set of levels.

Phone again?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 16:22 
Hibernating Druid

Mr Dave wrote:
Mmm. Gamecube
Metrosexual prime - the omega pirate bear me.

Awesome.

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 16:22 

On UGVM this is out current A to Z (we are on the letter F)

Mentioned so far by me Assassin's Creed, Bioshock, Beyond Good & Evil, Deus Ex, Duke Nukem 3D, Elite & Elder Scroll games excluding Skyrim

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 16:40 
Excellent Member

gospvg wrote:

Mentioned so far by me Assassin's Creed, Bioshock, Beyond Good & Evil, Deus Ex, Duke Nukem 3D, Elite & Elder Scroll games excluding Skyrim

That's a list of games you've never played (which seems like an odd thing to list but whatever floats your boat); not stuff you played but never finished.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 16:46 
Paws for thought

KovacsC wrote:
Mr Dave wrote:
Mmm. Gamecube

Phone again?
Yeah. That it doesn't know Metroid is unsurprising. Bear is an easy typo to make on a proper keyboard

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 19:31 

Bamba wrote:
gospvg wrote:

That's a list of games you've never played (which seems like an odd thing to list but whatever floats your boat); not stuff you played but never finished.

That is also including in the list, example Bioshock & Duke Nukem 3D from the list above.

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 16:16 
Excellent Member

I was thinking recently about starting this thread as a companion to the 'Finish 52' one and it turns out I already did!

• Dust: An Elysian Tale: A Metroidvania platformer with a relatively varied combat engine that was initially released on the Xbox during a 'Summer of Arcade' a few years back. I wasn't hooked by the Xbox demo way back when but the game reviewed very well so I picked it up on Steam as part of some bundle a while back. The aesthetic is manga-ish anthropomorphic animals and you're 'blessed' with a squeaky flying sidekick right at the start which doesn't bode well but, surprisingly, that ceases to grate pretty quickly and your sidekick is relatively funny throughout. The game's downfall instead is that it's all just a bit weak. The level design is pretty uninspired stuff which sucks any real enjoyment out of the exploration part and the combat quickly becomes very boring. It doesn't take long for you to level up to the point the vast majority of enemies are just an annoyance to button mash your way through but because they all respawn in every screen you'll spend ages just mindlessly wading through squads of the fucking things. It's not a terrible game or anything but I realised after spending seven hours or so on it that I just wasn't really gripped by it so why struggle on through it?
  • A Pixel Story: I've been following this for a long time after playing the prototype of it at the ProtoPlay show in Dundee one year. It stood head and shoulders above the rest of the competition; to the extent the team won some kind of BAFTA and got funding from Channel 4 to flesh it out. Almost inevitably it proved to be competent but disappointing. The gist of it is 2D pixel-art platform game with a 'teleport' mechanic and 'advancing through the years of gaming' schtick. It's pretty, if uninspired, to look at but the sound design was horrible with loads of flat and jarring squelchy noises as a soundtrack. In the end though it was just too fucking hard. Most of the challenge was hived off behind the unlockable doors of optional challenge rooms (which I never completed a single one of because they were honestly sadistic in their design) but certain aspects of the core game took no prisoners either. The final nail in it's coffin was one of those levels where you have to work you way up a platform and enemy filled shaft while a wall of death advances behind you. Combine that with one of the horribly flawed central mechanics that popped up everywhere (you have to micro-manage your characters trajectory after he hits a bounce spring or you'll plummet down a hole/into an obstacle, but this is incredibly difficult and random with no feedback you can reliably gauge from so it's a crapshoot every single fucking time) and it was a recipe for controller twisting frustration so I tapped out. A shame, and something people with more ability might well enjoy a lot, but it's not for me.
  • Closure: Yet another puzzle platformer that came in some kind of bundle and a more polished full version of this Flash game. The central concept of manipulating light to create platforms is a nice idea and I can't point to anything actually wrong with the game but having completed the first set of levels last night I'm just, again, not grabbed by it so I don't think I'll be going back. I'd certainly recommend giving the Flash version a go though because if you like that you will definitely appreciate the polished up PC version.

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 17:35 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

How long have you got? I've got tons of games I've never finished but I'll pick out a few later that spring to mind.

The first being:-

Sonic the Hedgehog - I'll soon rectify this with the 3DS version but I never had a Megadrive as a kid. I've only owned it in my adult years.

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 8:06 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

El Shaddai: Rise of the metatron.

A friend of mine raved about this when it first came out and indeed, I played it at there's and quite enjoyed the snippet I played. I bought it myself and quickly realised that there was absolutely no variety in it.

It was a neat story and presented very well but it was just so dull! I don't know how far I got in it but I think I gave it a fair chance.

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 8:17 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

Another one.. Rise of Nightmares on the Xbox.

This is a Kinect game so it's basically a real chore to play. I think I got quite close to the end but gave up for some reason. Maybe because I'm lazy and just want to sit down to play games. Who knows?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 6:33 
Can you dig it?

I never finished Majora's Mask, and I just can't remember why. I never completed Link's Awakening either, I gut stuck in one of the later dungeons (the one with the Fire Rod). I really was enjoying them too but something else came along. Oh, and Mario 64 too - I got really close to 100% - I got 118 stars (I think it was 118, maybe 119...I was only one or two short.... getting enough coins on the flying rainbow one was too tough for me).

There are tons of others that I simply couldn't finish as I'm not all that good at games (especially the older ones). Would probably be easier to list the games that I have completed. As for games I have 100%, it might only be Warioland on the original gameboy.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 6:36 
Can you dig it?

And Ouendan! That bastard! I even went through extra hard super-cheer mode (with the girlie cheerleaders) but the last 2 levels before the final killed me. I loved Ouendan.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 7:34 
Sleepyhead

Whichever Final Fantasy had the Black Mage in it. He was cool, and I liked the game, but there was a part where your party was split up, escaping from somewhere, and I couldn't find the exit. There were random battles every couple of steps, and after a while it got annoying and I stopped playing.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 7:59 
Kinda Funny Lookin'

I have never finished any of the GTA games, all the way back to the original. I've played them all intensely and then just get to the point were I can't be arsed any more (or hit a ridiculous mission that sucks all the remaining fun from the game).

Having said that I am determined to finish GTA V (which I've returned to after over a year)...oh yes, I shall defeat it (even if I have to use the skip feature multiple times).

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 11:59 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Curiosity wrote:
Whichever Final Fantasy had the Black Mage in it. He was cool, and I liked the game, but there was a part where your party was split up, escaping from somewhere, and I couldn't find the exit. There were random battles every couple of steps, and after a while it got annoying and I stopped playing.

A few of them, but I presume you mean FF9. Main guy had a tail?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 12:42 
Esoteric

Pit Fighter SNES, because it was simply too broken to play.
Mario Sunshine, because it was fiddly and poo compared to SM64.
All of the Batman games because I lost interest in their sameyness.
Dirt 3.
Grid 2.
The Evil Within, because it was awful.
LA Noire for the same reasons stated.
F3AR because it was too hard. Unfairly so.
Dying Light, because as much as I wanted to play through it all using pure stealth (for the first time ever) it turns out that you need to make the custom weapons and I hadn't bothered.
Crysis 3 because it literally bored me to sleep.
Crysis 2 - see Crysis 3.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 14:20 
Excellent Painter

Deus Ex (whatever the last one on console was called) I was enjoying it as well, apart from the stupid difficulty spikes around the bosses.
Bioshock Infinite. I think I was pretty close to the end but real life intruded.
Gears of War 3. Didn't get very far with this one at all, not entirely sure why, other than it felt different to the previous two, and not in a good way.

More driving games than you can shake a gear stick at. Simply don't have the time anymore.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 14:51 
Esoteric

I got my step daughter to finish Bioshock Infinite for me. I don't like timed missions and the last one is timed and made my bollocks twitch. So when she was here last she played it all the way through :D

I too didn't finish Deus Ex. Was a bit poo if I'm being honest.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 17:47 
Sleepyhead

Grim... wrote:
Curiosity wrote:

A few of them, but I presume you mean FF9. Main guy had a tail?

Yeah, I think so. It was the first one I played to have a Black Mage as a playable character. He looked like a cute wizard jawa.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 18:00 
Rude Belittler

I never completed the Original Deus Ex... I just got really, really bored of it around the Gas Station.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 18:23 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Really?

I’m surprised that bit of the game didn’t get you

Pumped.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 18:24 
Gogmagog

Pundabaya wrote:
I never completed the Original Deus Ex... I just got really, really bored of it around the Gas Station.

It faltered a bit around there, then ran on really quickly to the end. I seem to recall the early missions being much better than the later ones.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 21:46 
Excellent Member

Betrayer. It looks lovely and is atmospheric as all shit but the combat's fucking awful and I can tell that's just going to annoy the tits off me. Also the inventory system barely works with the control pad and is all kinds of half arsed so it can fuck off.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 22:29 
Bad Girl

The map and inventory work with the controller but you can barely see what's being highlighted. Yes, that bit was fucking annoying.

The combat is alright after a bit and you figure out that you need a short bow which lets off arrows like an SMG. Still crap though.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 22:43 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

An SMG won't fire arrows at all, so that bow sounds useless.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 22:47 
Excellent Member

I ended up with a longbow and a musket and couldn't for the life of me figure out how to switch between them without getting up and crossing the room to hit buttons on the keyboard. I'm blaming that for the fact that I got murdered three times on the trot by the group of four guys who seemed to be guarding something interesting and that's about there my patience ran out with it. If the combat was less crap, or the baddies easier to actually pick off with stealth, I could've seen me quite enjoying it with the atmosphere and the good use of sound and the mystery and all that jazz. Shame.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 22:49 
Bad Girl

Erm, wasn't it left bumper on the pad?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 22:52 
Bad Girl

Unless you meant you couldn't figure out how to change weapons in the inventory (I'm pretty sure it automatically loads you with three weapons as you pick them up though).

To switch weapons it was: highlight weapon (easier said than done), press X to equip (it says that at the bottom of the screen where the buttons are mapped) and then highlight a space out of the three available (easy enough as a red arrow pops up).

Other than highlighting the weapon, I didn't have any other problem.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 14:46 
Legendary Boogeyman

Something something PC with mouse is king.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 18:22 
Terrible Human Being

Dark Souls, because the Four Kings annoyed me out of playing it for a bit, then a bit became a long time

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 13:36 
Hibernating Druid

Four-king hell.

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 21:11 
Excellent Member

MrPSB wrote:
Dark Souls, because the Four Kings annoyed me out of playing it for a bit, then a bit became a long time

That almost happened to me with Bed of Chaos. Terrible terrible boss. Eventually i forced through by i left the game for some months.

I liked Four Kings though.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 0:07 
Noob as of 6/8/10

Any game I ever played. I don't think I ever finished any, although some of them prolly didn't have an end.

But the one that I gave up on because try as I might, I couldn't clear one level, was Interphase on the Atari ST. Despite what I've read about it recently, to me it was very much like a game version of the part of Max Headroom (the movie), when Theora Jones was guiding Edison Carter around The Network 23 building. I only got about as far as level 5 and was milliseconds away from clearing it, time after time, when I'd get annihilated by the guard droids because I just couldn't disable a security camera fast enough ....(IIRC). So close and yet so far. Drove me fucking bonkers.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 8:56 

We got a PC in 1994, and it came bundled with 'Chip's Challenge'. 21 years and several different machines later, I still haven't finished it. Love the game though. One day I will beat it. One day.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 9:01 
Kinda Funny Lookin'

Still never finished Nethack, Moria or Angband.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 9:20 
Excellent Member

Kern wrote:
We got a PC in 1994, and it came bundled with 'Chip's Challenge'. 21 years and several different machines later, I still haven't finished it. Love the game though. One day I will beat it. One day.

You know that a sequel was finally released last month right?

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015- ... e-2-review

Reply to topic  [ 113 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next