Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 113 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: Games you've never finished
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 14:18 

Limiting this to games I've played a good deal of the way through already...

Star Wars: Kotor 2 - Broken

GTA: Vice City - Final mission is trial-and-error slog through hail of bullets. Hate that in any game.

Scarface - Final misison is trial-and-error slog through hail of bullets. Hate that in any game.

Lego Star Wars - Jumping bullshit on final level during lightsaber battle, where the established 'how to jump places' seems to have been ignored for some floaty lava platforms. Basically, the game cheats.

The Saboteur - Story finished, 900/1000 achievements and it will take me another ten to fifteen hours to do the remaining few hundred identical sabotages and 100% the cunt.

Red Dead Redemption - I really want to 100% this but dicking about in the wilds for ages looking for small generic mammal type #7 and then shooting TEN of the things isn't my idea of fun.

Mirror's Edge - I can't do it.

Fable 2 - It rrod'd my original 360 and I'm scared to ever play it again.

Mass Effect 2 - If I finish this, I'll buy Mass Effect 3 when it comes out and I'm too skint. Otherwise, I'd have it done already.

Borderlands - I played online with others too much and lost my immersion in the world being as I was whisked off to defat foes that were wey ahead of me in the game too early.

Tomb Raider: Anniversary - I would be nowhere without the walkthrough, and playing like that is boring.

Oh... and Zelda games - I frequently have better things to do than play a given title for a month or more and, particularly with Wind Waker (though OOT and TP are guilty too) I'd come back to it and spend an evening tooling around with all the faqs to hand trying to figure out what the hell I'm supposed to do next, to no avail.

I think it's often not so much the problems with these games as the frustration of the needless amount of time it takes to get past them that's the issue, unfair restart points, loading times longer than you're surviving for in the boss battle, or the dialogue in Nintendo games being only semi-skippable when trying to get through a bit again, or when accidentally triggered, which I always seem to do for some reason.

I might also give up on the remaining unbroken bits of Skyrim if it doesn't stop spawning fucking nails-hard dragons when I'm 90% of the way to completing a long, complicated mission. Random events my arsehole.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 14:24 
Hibernating Druid

GovernmentYard wrote:
Red Dead Redemption - I really want to 100% this but dicking about in the wilds for ages looking for small generic mammal type #7 and then shooting TEN of the things isn't my idea of fun.

I got bored by Mexico.

GovernmentYard wrote:
Borderlands - I played online with others too much and lost my immersion in the world being as I was whisked off to defat foes that were wey ahead of me in the game too early.

I only finished this due to our very own Curly, Larry & Moe dragging me through it.

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 14:24 
What-ho, chaps!

Extermination on the PS2. Survival horror. The final boss has enough health to withstand the entire might of all your weapons, including the secret weapons, fully upgraded. He can hit you in ways you cannot defend against. There are limited health items through the game, and you need them ALL for the final fight. And he has two more forms on top of that.

In this YouTube video, the player just stands there for ten minutes, staying perfectly still, shooting all his remaining ammo and using all his remaining health kits.

Need For Speed: Carbon. The very final race is a canyon duel against Darius. His car is an Audi Le Mans concept that goes faster than the speed of light. You can't change or configure your car without doing THREE PREVIOUS RACES ALL OVER AGAIN. Canyon duels are played against a recorded copy of the computer player, which means you can't push him off the cliff (instant win) or even knock him aside so he spins out. Every collision will end in his favour: his car is made of lead, your car is made of paper. (Same rule as NFS U, NFS U2, NFS MW.)

The only way to win this fight is to either A) Be God or B) Use a fully upgraded Corvette to zoom past him and hold the lead for ten seconds. The Corvette is the only car in the game that beats his concept car for acceleration. Heaven help you if you don't have enough money to buy it. And you can't go back and redo old races for money because the prize money for already completed races is 1% of the money you get the first time.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 14:25 
UltraMod

Zardoz wrote:
I only finished this due to our very own Curly, Larry & Moe dragging me through it.

You ruined the story!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 14:26 
Bad Girl

Zardoz wrote:
Ian Fairies wrote:
Ah the Flying Fortress. Those massive robot things are a nightmare. If you're a big nancy, that is. Did I mention I've completed it?

No, it wasn't that bit. Either way it was a let down after the glorious Ninja Gaiden on the original Xbox, and that's coming from someone who completed the pitiful Shadows of the Damned.

Yeah but Shadows was a piece of piss. NG2 is sadistic.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 14:28 
What-ho, chaps!

Far Cry 2 on the 360. This looks like fun! This is the exact same fun I had a couple of minutes ago! Hmm... *skips ahead to read the ending* Wait... THAT'S the ending? When did that happen? *skips to middle* No... this doesn't explain it.

ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
Fucking game. The game starts with me wanting to kill the Jackal and apparently I never get to do that.

NEXT GAME.

Infamous on the PS3. This is fun! I especially like the bit where COLE KEEPS AUTOMATICALLY TURNING TO FACE ENEMIES AND THROWING OFF MY PERFECT AIM THE BASTARD.

Clive Barker's Undying, SHOGO: Mobile Armor Division, Command and Conquer: Renegade. I'm sure there's an appropriate time and place to sit down and really get stuck into these, but I just don't like first person shooters enough to care.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 14:31 

FC 2 is a gun maintenance and self medication simulator though.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 14:33 
UltraMod

I never finished Eternal Darkness, come to think of it. :(

I've finished more games in the last five years than I ever did previously. Stupid addictive achievements!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 14:38 
What-ho, chaps!

Blur. I had it with those bloody stupid targets. I never even got to the final set of races because I couldn't stay at 130MPH for an entire lap, or use powerup X against Y enemies, or destroy X mines with Y powerups or whatever. If you want me to do ridiculous targets, you have to GIVE ME THE POWERUPS NECESSARY TO DO THEM and THE ENEMIES HAVE TO DO THE THING I'M SUPPOSED TO DEFEND AGAINST.

Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit 2, Killer 7, Sonic Adventure 2. Memory card died each time. Final level.

I also had 149 Pokemon when my save died. It's true.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 14:41 
Hibernating Druid

I never finished Burnout Paradise, I only played it for the Bezzie lolz.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 14:43 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Then sold it. Like a massive, massive loser.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 14:44 
UltraMod

Craster wrote:

To be fair I'm surprised EA haven't shut the servers down yet.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 14:45 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

They'd normally release a sequel first, wouldn't they? And Crash doesn't count.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 14:46 
Hibernating Druid

Craster wrote:

It had fizzled out long before I chucked it in towards my camera fund.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 14:48 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Pfft - we played the other week, and it was epic!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 14:49 
UltraMod

Craster wrote:
Pfft - we played the other week, and it was epic!

And I played it the time before last. It was epic!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 14:55 
Hibernating Druid

Can't have been that good if I wasn't there.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 15:01 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

Where to start... Ace Combat 6 – I’ll go back to that one soon.

Resident Evil 4 – I’m ashamed that I haven’t finished this. I’ll go back to it soon.

Luigis Mansion – A delightful game that I started playing again a year ago, I got further than I’ve ever got before but didn’t carry on. I should do though because I really enjoyed it.

And the list goes on and on and on.. I tend to get distracted by the shiny and new. The 3 above are the ones I want to go back to though as I enjoyed them the first time round.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 15:08 
UltraMod

I will pick up RE4 on the XBLA at some point. I never got out of the first village.

Luigi's Mansion I just didn't click with.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 15:26 
Honey Boo Boo

Zardoz wrote:

I don't want to think about which you think is which.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 15:30 
Paws for thought

myp wrote:
I will pick up RE4 on the XBLA at some point. I never got out of the first village.

I got out of the first village. Then got killed by a qte. Never returned.

Games:
Dragon age - not really sure why, as I liked the game.

Deus ex hr - similarly I liked it, and plan to return, but never do. That I have some huge timed rescue mission is what keeps putting it off.

Uncharted 2 - Too much of the arse combat parts. Again, I plan to return.

Fallout :nv - buggy. Also performance was lacking. Have since upgraded pc and it copes with skyrim perfectly well, so will probably return.

Space Marine - no online coop. And the game is shit. Don't plan to return until Dimrill plays it so that I have someone to share the pain.

Just cause 2 - perhaps after the tutorial it becomes fun, but I've tried twice and the tutorial is both dull and seemingly without end.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 15:35 
Paws for thought

myp wrote:
Zardoz wrote:
Dead Rising - Fucking horrible game

Every time you say this, it makes me less likely to put Dark Souls in the drive. I sometimes forget what such bad taste you have.

I loved dead rising for many of the same reasons as dark souls. Although they're both very different games.

But mainly as the main thing you're doing is improving your own understanding of the game and beating it that way. Many other games *cough*cod*cough* this really isn't the case. It's just a pretty corridor you walk along with the same stuff shoved at you throughout.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 23:42 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

Just completed Ace Combat: Assault Horizon because this thread reminded me to do it. :luv:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 23:48 
Skillmeister

Fuel - because some Southampton spawned git won't put it in his drive and lose 30 races to me.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 23:48 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

I have so many. So, so many.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 23:52 
Skillmeister

Chibi-Robo - LOVED this game. Played it almost to completion while off ill from work. When I had the time to play it again the Wii came out and I was lost to Twilight Princess. Since my nephews had the Gamecube off me for a few months I never got my power brick back from them so it's stuck in Limbo.

Any Zelda game - I get obsessed with collecting the collector things but there's never any pay-off like a nice fat achievement waiting for me, so I lose interest.

Harvest Moon Magical Melody - See Chibi-Robo.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 0:28 

Bobbyaro wrote:
So many I don't know where to start- which is a little sad and one of the reasons I buy so few games nowadays.

Definitely :this: You could probably devote an entire forum to games I've started and not finished.

Post subject: Games you've never finished
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 0:34 

Dimrill wrote:
Chibi-Robo - LOVED this game. Played it almost to completion while off ill from work. When I had the time to play it again the Wii came out and I was lost to Twilight Princess. Since my nephews had the Gamecube off me for a few months I never got my power brick back from them so it's stuck in Limbo.

Any Zelda game - I get obsessed with collecting the collector things but there's never any pay-off like a nice fat achievement waiting for me, so I lose interest.

Harvest Moon Magical Melody - See Chibi-Robo.

I wanted to buy Chibi Robot when it came out, but as it was near the end of the gamecube's life I was told not to, then nowhere sold it and I never got to play it and then I regretted that. Did you ever play Doshin the Giant, Dimrill?

Talking of Harvest Moon, I picked up my copy of Wonderful Life and stuck it on the Ganecube yesterday... I'm going to restart my farm as my save has gone. I think I played Magical Melody but thought it was on the Wii.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:46 
Slightly Brackish

There's a few games I've put in the drive, had a tinker with and decided I hated them and yanked them out before I got an achievement and considered myself "stuck" with them (Dead Rising, Kung Fu Panda, Ducksex HR) but owing to my cheevo completion mentality there is only one game I've ever properly played and not finished at least the campaign on - Far Cry 2. Although thinking about it, the reason for that was achievement related too, if it weren't for some silly collectible bollocks I'd have finished that too... it's pretty bad, but it's not quite the worst game ever.

Thinking back to PS2 days, I don't think I ever actually finished the first Max Payne game :S

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:08 
UltraMod

Dimrill wrote:
Fuel - because some Southampton spawned git won't put it in his drive and lose 30 races to me.

Yeah, that might be difficult now I've traded it in.

Alberto wrote:
Kung Fu Panda
Megamind next, eh? You cheevo whores sure do love your animated move tie-ins.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:14 
Honey Boo Boo

Alberto wrote:
Thinking back to PS2 days, I don't think I ever actually finished the first Max Payne game :S

Me neither. That dream sequence (surely it doesn't matter if I finish it or not, it's a dream and not real!) where you had to run along a practically invisible blood trail surrounded by bottomless pits while a fucking baby wailed constantly in the background... switched it off, never went back.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:15 
UltraMod

It was a drug-induced dream, so if you didn't get to the end your brain stopped functioning and you died. ;)

That bit was really easy, anyway. :S

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:21 
Unpossible!

The second dream... harder.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:24 
Honey Boo Boo

After falling off the path for the fiftieth time with that constant shrieking I decided perhaps it was best if Max succumbed to his mentalness.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:04 
Excellent Member

I never understood the moaning about those bits; the baby's screaming was irritating and you maybe fell off the path of a couple of times but it was never properly difficult. The bit in the fucking building site in Max Payne 2 where, as Mona, you had to snipe all the fucking bad guys to keep Max alive however: that was a bastard nightmare. To the extent I had to cheat my way through it because there was no fucking way in hell I'd have managed it otherwise.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:10 
UltraMod

Max Payne 1 & 2 were pretty much the only games I completed of the previous generation. I didn't have to cheat either, I just really loved those games.

MP3 is going to be shit. :(

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:23 
Skillmeister

Mimi wrote:
Did you ever play Doshin the Giant, Dimrill?

I did! Another one I didn't complete. Getting the little guys to inter-breed was difficult.

Mimi wrote:
I think I played Magical Melody but thought it was on the Wii.

It was re-released on the Wii over here, I'd bought it as an import on the Gamecube because I was sick of waiting for a release date. My Chibi-Robo was an import too, simply because I didn't want to spend 40 quid or more on the UK version, as that was like hen's teeth.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 14:59 
Slightly Brackish

The wailing baby dream bits were bad I recall, but I did pass them. Not sure why, but I stopped when you have to escape from a burning building (restaurant), failed a few times and somehow just never tried again. Very unlike me looking back now, I'm slightly confused :S

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 15:00 
UltraMod

Alberto wrote:
The wailing baby dream bits were bad I recall, but I did pass them. Not sure why, but I stopped when you have to escape from a burning building (restaurant), failed a few times and somehow just never tried again. Very unlike me looking back now, I'm slightly confused :S

Yeah, you used to play good games, no matter how difficult they were. Now you play bad games for easy gamerscore. Very sad. :(

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 15:02 
Slightly Brackish

myp wrote:
Alberto wrote:

Yeah, you used to play good games, no matter how difficult they were. Now you play bad games for easy gamerscore. Very sad. :(

That reminds me, I should give you some of them back :p

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 15:03 
UltraMod

Please. :D

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 15:24 
Bad Girl

I forgot that I gave up in disgust at what they'd done to the murder sim Manhunt 2. I absolutely loved the first but the Wii sequel was a fucking abomination.

I got to the second level and traded it in. I don't think I've ever been so outraged about a game before but I just couldn't believe what they'd done to it.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 15:26 
UltraMod

Ian Fairies wrote:
I forgot that I gave up in disgust at what they'd done to the murder sim Manhunt 2. I absolutely loved the first but the Wii sequel was a fucking abomination.

I got to the second level and traded it in. I don't think I've ever been so outraged about a game before but I just couldn't believe what they'd done to it.

I'm glad I didn't bother with it now. The first one was great. I didn't finish it though (surprise, surprise).

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 15:30 
Paws for thought

Mmm. Gamecube
Metrosexual prime - the omega pirate bear me. In the end I had to cheat to get past him to the end of the game. Came close to having to do the same with Ridley.
Metroid prime 2: the final boss sequence was too long, frankly.

F zero gx - even with an infinite life + boost cheat I couldn't beat the penultimate set of levels.

Starfox adventures - reached a shit boss fight and was bored of the game.

Majors mask - couldn't get past fish boss.

Xiii - reached final boss, but didn't have enough health/ammo to beat him.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 15:38 
Master of dodgy spelling....

Mr Dave wrote:
Mmm. Gamecube
Metrosexual prime - the omega pirate bear me. In the end I had to cheat to get past him to the end of the game. Came close to having to do the same with Ridley.

F zero gx - even with an infinite life + boost cheat I couldn't beat the penultimate set of levels.

Phone again?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 16:22 
Hibernating Druid

Mr Dave wrote:
Mmm. Gamecube
Metrosexual prime - the omega pirate bear me.

Awesome.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 16:22 

On UGVM this is out current A to Z (we are on the letter F)

Mentioned so far by me Assassin's Creed, Bioshock, Beyond Good & Evil, Deus Ex, Duke Nukem 3D, Elite & Elder Scroll games excluding Skyrim

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 16:40 
Excellent Member

gospvg wrote:

Mentioned so far by me Assassin's Creed, Bioshock, Beyond Good & Evil, Deus Ex, Duke Nukem 3D, Elite & Elder Scroll games excluding Skyrim

That's a list of games you've never played (which seems like an odd thing to list but whatever floats your boat); not stuff you played but never finished.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 16:46 
Paws for thought

KovacsC wrote:
Mr Dave wrote:
Mmm. Gamecube

Phone again?
Yeah. That it doesn't know Metroid is unsurprising. Bear is an easy typo to make on a proper keyboard

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 19:31 

Bamba wrote:
gospvg wrote:

That's a list of games you've never played (which seems like an odd thing to list but whatever floats your boat); not stuff you played but never finished.

That is also including in the list, example Bioshock & Duke Nukem 3D from the list above.

Reply to topic  [ 113 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next