Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 101 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: [PC] Command & Conquer 3
PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 8:59 
MR EXCELLENT FACE

Craster wrote:
It's 'eXplore, eXploit, eXpand, eXterminate'. It refers mostly to the genre of sci-fi strategy games like Masters of Orion, which have resource gathering, research, colony management, and space combat.

The quintessential 4x game is Civilization. So if you hear 4x, think Civ. That "kind" of game.
edit:I quoted the wrong post. I hope you don;'t mind. I'm terribly hungover.

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 15:55 
Excellent Member

Command & Conquer is still brilliant, in a way. Tiberian Sun was the game where I realised that Nod were basically a guerilla strike force/terrorist cell, and accordingly spent my first online game harrassing my opponent's harvesters and base with subterranean and cloaked units from a barely defended but cloaked base. When he finally realised he should be attacking with his massive army like in a proper war game, I wiped the entire lot out with surgical strikes by a few key units before they could reach my base. Excellent.

"At one stage, Farrell, playing undercover narcotics agent Sonny Crockett, actually asks Gong Li's beautiful Chinese-Cuban drug dealer to take the wheel of his supersonically fast speedboat while he removes his stylish jacket. It's an improvised move that is sexy, confident, intimate. But not funny. Like everything else in the picture, it has a muscular, unremitting seriousness."

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 16:08 
Excellent Member

Sheepeh wrote:
Gotcha. I'll be around from about 9:30ish.

sorry matey, I was far too busy playing cod4 last night with the other excellent fellows I didnt get a chance to read your post. I did check earlier on and it didnt look like anyone else was joining us, so I didnt think we'd go ahead with just 2 of us anyway.

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 16:14 
Excellent Member

For RTS, why aren't you all playing Company of Heroes, eh?

ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!

Fun!

Fun fun!

Pretty fun fun!

Sad fun fun!

Bored? Why not look at some pretty pictures on my photography blog? Here: http://petetakespictures.com

Come & See My Flickery Pics Here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/nervouspete/

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 16:18 
Song Wars 08/09 Champion

I own Company of Heroes too, of course. It's teh good.

Also - BLOODY RAMSEA. May your Forza car be smashed in to a thousand tiny pieces. ;)

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 17:53 
Excellent Member

I find Company of Heroes really really hard. I think I'm playing it wrong.

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 18:03 
Excellent Member

It is hard at first, and I still lose two out of three multiplayer matches. Just keep at the skirmishes, and read some of the guides out there. Also:

Don't be afraid to retreat units. Hit 'T' to do it quick.

Micro to hit stuff in the ass.

Learn to respond to whichever direction your opponent is leaning towards. For example if your enemy has lots of infantry with panzershrecks, don't bother with light vehicles so much, go for bar-equipped infantry. If they're going for early Stugs, go for anti-tank guns and stickybombs.

Keep your AT guns at a distance, otherwise enemy tanks will drive round them.

Grenades are deadly against garrisoned units in buildings.

Allied tend to come out of rifle fights at a distance better than German ones. Germans are better close up.

Keep an eye on the mini-map.

Always be sure never to have a unit just standing around, everything counts.

Have a hard time re/capturing one of their sectors? Try cutting it off to ensure that they at least don't get a benefit from it.

Bored? Why not look at some pretty pictures on my photography blog? Here: http://petetakespictures.com

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 18:50 
Excellent Member

mmm, this company of heroes looks pretty good...what kind of spec pc do you need to run it? My pc cant run day of defeat without shed loads of lag (i get about 15 fps) so I'm thinking this game is probably beyond my crappy aging system.

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 19:12 
Excellent Member

Ramsea wrote:
mmm, this company of heroes looks pretty good...what kind of spec pc do you need to run it? My pc cant run day of defeat without shed loads of lag (i get about 15 fps) so I'm thinking this game is probably beyond my crappy aging system.

Hmm, haven't played Day of Defeat. What are your specs?

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 19:33 
MR EXCELLENT FACE

Day of Defeat 1? That's the half life engine - aka ages old. If he means DOD2, then it's Half Life 2... so a bit more modern.

I just downloaded CoH demo myself, I've been meaning to play it for ages.

Also: WILL YOU GUYS HURRY UP AND BUY RISE OF NATIONS? IT'S THE BEST.

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 19:43 
Excellent Member

I had Rise of Nations. I sold it on when I was very poor though. I thought it was good, though my brain could never wrap itself around the fact that people were as big as planes and stuff.

Enjoy the CoH demo! If it's the first it's quite expansive with two peachy skirmish maps and runs smoothly. If it's Opposing Fronts then it runs badly. Happily, Opposing Fronts is now patched up to have the same smoothness as the original.

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 20:10 
Excellent Member

Was actually meaning the campaign seemed somewhat hard, even though I'm only on the 4th level - was playing it a few months ago, was a level which you have to clear out then defend a convey, took a fair few tries, finally made it to the end and then the game crashed so haven't been back yet.

Multiplayer in RTS is a totally different game to single-player I find, and not one that really appeals.

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 20:58 
MR EXCELLENT FACE

The demo won't run! The silly performance test runs fine, but when I try and play the demo, in any form, it just crashes after I "press any key". Mphm

Pete:
http://www.gamedb.com/games/01214/screen4_lg_01214.jpg

The scale looks fine to me?

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 21:11 
Excellent Member

nervouspete wrote:
Ramsea wrote:

Hmm, haven't played Day of Defeat. What are your specs?

My specs are:

Processor Information:
Vendor: GenuineIntel
Speed: 2792 Mhz
2 logical processors
1 physical processors
HyperThreading: Supported
FCMOV: Supported
SSE2: Supported

Network Information:
Network Speed:

Windows Version:
Windows XP (32 bit)
NTFS: Supported

Video Card:
Driver: NVIDIA GeForce 7800 GS
DirectX Driver Name: nv4_disp.dll
Driver Version: 6.14.11.6921
DirectX Driver Version: 6.14.11.6921
Driver Date: 5 Dec 2007
Desktop Color Depth: 32 bits per pixel
Monitor Refresh Rate: 60 Hz
DirectX Card: NVIDIA GeForce 7800 GS
VendorID: 0x10de
DeviceID: 0xf5
Number of Monitors: 1
Number of Logical Video Cards: 1
No SLI or Crossfire Detected
Primary Display Resolution: 1024 x 768
Desktop Resolution: 1024 x 768 Desktop Resolution: 1024 x 768
Primary Display Size: 11.81" x 8.86" (14.76" diag)
30.0cm x 22.5cm (37.5cm diag)
Primary Bus: AGP 8x
Primary VRAM: 512 MB
Supported MSAA Modes: 2x 4x

Sound card:
Audio device: Creative SB Live! Series

Memory:
RAM: 1278 Mb

Miscellaneous:
UI Language: English
Microphone: Not set
Media Type: DVD
Total Hard Disk Space Available: 476937 Mb
Largest Free Hard Disk Block: 115471 Mb
OS Install Date: May 06 2007
Installed Packages: Firefox,Windows Firewall

I think they may look a little better than they actually are tho...I know it should run most games fairly smoothly, but it doesnt. :(

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 23:51 
Excellent Member

Hmm, try bringing your ram up to two gigs, preferably with two compatible gigs of ram. There's a website that can recommend the best type. You'll find games then run a lot smoother. The rest of your specs are actually better than mine, so it should work. I have a copy of the demo knocking about on disc, so if you don't have the bandwidth I guess I could mail it you. With those specs it's definitely worth a go.

I endevour to suggest that it is remiss of myself to suggest defragmenting and spyware checking, as undoubtably you have done so already, but there it is. Also, a couple of runs of CCleaner in fixing any registry issues may improve things also, as would ensuring you don't have too many background processes. You should certainly have enough there to run Day of Defeat Source well at least.

But yes, get more ram and try the demo. For the ram http://www.crucial.com/uk/ is the place, merely click 'Scan My System'. I have used it before in picking my own, and it worked jim-dandy.

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 0:23 
Song Wars 08/09 Champion

These specs run all the CoH, as well as DoD:Source, at 1440x900, full settings at everything including aa and af. Cheap to build, these days, too.

Operating System: Windows XP Professional x64 Edition (5.2, Build 3790) Service Pack 2 (3790.srv03_sp2_gdr.070321-2337)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: NVIDIA
System Model: AWRDACPI
BIOS: Default System BIOS
Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4200+ (2 CPUs), ~2.7GHz
Memory: 2048MB RAM
Page File: 834MB used, 4153MB available
Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
DxDiag Version: 5.03.3790.3959 64bit Unicode

Card name: Radeon X1950 Pro
Manufacturer: ATI Technologies Inc.
Chip type: ATI Radeon Graphics Processor (0x7280)
DAC type: Internal DAC(400MHz)
Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_7280&SUBSYS_207217AF&REV_9A
Display Memory: 512.0 MB
Current Mode: 1440 x 900 (32 bit) (75Hz)
Monitor: SyncMaster 940BW/199BW/941BW, SyncMaster Magic CX915BW(Digital)
Monitor Max Res: 1440,900

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 0:36 
Excellent Member

Sheepeh wrote:
These specs run all the CoH, as well as DoD:Source, at 1440x900, full settings at everything including aa and af. Cheap to build, these days, too.

Hmm, how much and where from?

Pod wrote:
The demo won't run! The silly performance test runs fine, but when I try and play the demo, in any form, it just crashes after I "press any key". Mphm

Pete:
http://www.gamedb.com/games/01214/screen4_lg_01214.jpg

The scale looks fine to me?

Unfortunately I'm getting a broken link when I click on that. "Forbidden
You don't have permission to access /games/01214/screen4_lg_01214.jpg on this server." Gagh. I'll see if I can find out what may be wrong though.

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 0:48 
MR EXCELLENT FACE

Ramsea: Your computer is "twice" as better as mine. Ie all your number are twice as big. You'll definately be able to play Company of Heroes!

Pete: No idea! Sorry :( Just google for Rise of Nations screenshots. http://www.microsoft.com/games/riseofna ... ge=017.jpg for example. Whilst the planes are a bit smaller than they "should be", it's hardly drastic. The bombers are size the size of those wee spitfires, as well.

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 0:50 
Song Wars 08/09 Champion

From memory:

CPU, £50, Scan
Mobo, £30, ebuyer
RAM, £60, Overclockers UK
Gfx Card, £40, Overclockers UK
Silent Hiper power supply to feed it all, £40 , Overclockers UK
Samsung widescreen 19" monitor, £120, ebuyer

This is completely from memory and I built it in various parts, rather than all in one go, so some prices might have changed / been discontinued. You'll note that the Mobo is a 939 pin, not AM2, which is "obsolete" and getting harder to find. Mine's an Abit AN8 but any NForce 4 chipped board would suffice. Mine's overclocked from 2 cores at 2.2Ghz, to 2 cores at 2.7Ghz, bringing up to an estimated 6000+ from a 4200+. Running XPx64, based on Server 2003 rather than XPs kernel, it manages memory much better and runs like the proverbial shit off a shovel. It'll even manage Crysis at a respectible lick, and BioShock at full whack.

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 1:35 
Paws for thought

There was a spoiler warning. I ignored the warning and clicked on it. My life is ruined now. I hope you're happy.

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 1:50 
Song Wars 08/09 Champion

My system is completely silent, too. Cooled entirely on air, with massive heatsinks. Gfx card has an aftermarket silent cooler attatched that only spins up when needed. I get annoyed at other people's PCs, now though.

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 15:58 
Excellent Member

nervouspete wrote:
Hmm, try bringing your ram up to two gigs, preferably with two compatible gigs of ram. There's a website that can recommend the best type. You'll find games then run a lot smoother. The rest of your specs are actually better than mine, so it should work. I have a copy of the demo knocking about on disc, so if you don't have the bandwidth I guess I could mail it you. With those specs it's definitely worth a go.

I endevour to suggest that it is remiss of myself to suggest defragmenting and spyware checking, as undoubtably you have done so already, but there it is. Also, a couple of runs of CCleaner in fixing any registry issues may improve things also, as would ensuring you don't have too many background processes. You should certainly have enough there to run Day of Defeat Source well at least.

But yes, get more ram and try the demo. For the ram http://www.crucial.com/uk/ is the place, merely click 'Scan My System'. I have used it before in picking my own, and it worked jim-dandy.

Hmmm cheers Pete, I did think about getting another gig of ram from Crucial, but wasnt sure how much of a difference this would actually make. I might just do it as its not that expensive now and might work a treat. I'll have a look for the demo on tinternet but if I have any trouble I may take you up on your kind offer.

I run crap cleaner frequently and various other spybot/blaster/adaware programs too, so hopefully my system is fairly shite free.

And Dave, the spoiler was only used to stop cluttering of the thread you fool and yes, for your antics last night, I am happy your life is now ruined. :p

So who's up for a bit of C&C tonight then? Ive played a few skirmishes against the puter (although I am finding it difficult to win on hard whereas I used to be able to win on brutal :() and am very much looking forward to playing some real people.

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 16:00 
Legendary Boogeyman

Ok dude, count me in. THe gf is off to the gym tonight so I'll be bored. I just need to have a nose at how the online play works, having never done it before :)

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 16:01 
Excellent Member

Might buy this so I can play you lot. Though I really shouldn't with my finances.

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 16:07 
Excellent Member

Sheepeh wrote:

Also - BLOODY RAMSEA. May your Forza car be smashed in to a thousand tiny pieces. ;)

Actually Ramsea, would you like a 1vs1 tonight? PM with yer ingame name so I can find you an stuff. Never set up a 1vs1 outside of automatch before so not sure how it works.

That goes for anyone wanting to play me, by the way. Don't worry, I'm not actually that tops at it.

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 16:11 
Excellent Member

ComicalGnomes wrote:
Ok dude, count me in. THe gf is off to the gym tonight so I'll be bored. I just need to have a nose at how the online play works, having never done it before :)

Its really quite simple, it took me no time whatsoever to sort out on my first time; and Im not very computer literate.

Do it Pete, the Kane's edition only about £15 now..well worth it. :)

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 16:12 
Excellent Member

nervouspete wrote:
Sheepeh wrote:

Actually Ramsea, would you like a 1vs1 tonight? PM with yer ingame name so I can find you an stuff. Never set up a 1vs1 outside of automatch before so not sure how it works.

That goes for anyone wanting to play me, by the way. Don't worry, I'm not actually that tops at it.

Was this meant for Sheepeh as I dont have COH and you dont have C&C3? :S

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 16:14 
Song Wars 08/09 Champion

I'll be around any time after 9:30, as this is the time I get home and fed.

I'll leave XFire open, username Sheepeh - if you guys need to use anything else just leave a message and I'll find you, somehow.

Me EA ID is Sheepeh, as well so feel free to add me to the ingame friends list.

CG - if you've never played online you'll need to register an account first (free), so make sure you've got that set up before you want to play!

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 16:18 
Song Wars 08/09 Champion

I got Kane's Edition too. Kane is teh awesome.

@pete - my CoH name is Sheepeh, it's linked to my Steam account name which is "SheepehToo" - some bastard nicked my name!! I think I should play C&C tonight assuming the others get it working ok, but I'll definately be up for CoH soon - it's a geat game but I haven't even finished the single player campaign yet...

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 16:41 
Excellent Member

Ahh! Sorry Ramsea. My brain got confused. Again. I think I might get Kane's Edition then. Shame I finish at 7:00, or I'd pop down the shops and get it for tonight.

Sheepeh! CoH multi-gaming would be, excellent! I'll find you in game through yer Sheepeh name, then. If you need any help in adapting to multiplay I'll go gentle and give yer tips in an unbearably smug manner. Or something.

(Heavily edited this post, btw. I am tired.)

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 19:31 
Legendary Boogeyman

Are we playing the Kane's edition of the multiplayer? Because I haven't quite got the hang of all the extra units/abilities yet, but I don't suppose it matters too much.

I'll set up my account and try to link to you chaps shortly. Stand by.

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 21:11 
Song Wars 08/09 Champion

The units are the same, aren't they? They just look different.

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 21:30 
Excellent Member

hi chaps, I'm presuming we are going for a 930 start then?

Im just gonna reboot cos my pc's being awfully slow.

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 23:41 
Legendary Boogeyman

VICTORY. :metul:

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 23:57 
Excellent Member

CUNT...no attacking for 10 minutes, 1 second later...comical gnome has built an ion cannon! CUNT

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 0:02 
Song Wars 08/09 Champion

What Ramsea said.

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 18:35 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

I like Dawn of War.
And I really, really like Homeworld. Sucks that there isn't going to be another.

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 18:43 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Oh
my
God!

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 18:47 
Legendary Boogeyman

Cool Grim... I have Homeworld 1 and 2 and like them both. Good fun as far as space-based RTS goes. Mind you, I'd rather se Deus Ex 3 get released first.

As for these other two whiney shits, they're just jealous I pwned them both at c&c ;)

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 18:49 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

The only problem with C&C online is that when you are out it can be ages before the new game starts!

"Grim..." mode solves this problem: When you play in "Grim..." mode anyone that gets killed is added to the weakest team, allowing two of you to play with the same army - one could handle the base while the other drove the units about, etc.

Someone make Grim... mode!

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 19:10 
Song Wars 08/09 Champion

Isn't that possible if the player getting destroyed allies with someone else before their Yard is destroyed? I *believe* you can let any allied player control your units - although that may be another game I'm thinking of.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 0:39 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

I think it's possible in Warcraft 3, for one.
But I'd want it done automatically.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 0:39 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Aside: I'd love a RTS set in the Alien vs Predator galaxy.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 0:40 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Grim... wrote:

Wouldn't it be a bit dull? A turn-based squad shooter in the AvP galaxy would be super.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 0:45 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

The marines and predators have all sorts of tech they can use, and there's plenty of scope for the alien player.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 4:44 
MR EXCELLENT FACE

Grim... wrote:

There was one :) I only became aware of it when I read this thread the other day:

http://www.quartertothree.com/game-talk ... v+Predator

(horribly low quality) Videos of it on youtube seem a bit...boring. Sexysound effects though.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 9:16 
Legendary Boogeyman

For anyone interested in Red Alert 3, and have a shit-hot internet connection, you might be interested in the latest ep of Battlecast Primetime, the monthly 'show' on http://www.commandandconquery.com. While being stupid and cheesy it also has lots of useful info about upcoming games and existing stuff too.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 14:38 
Excellent Member

I'm tempted to buy C&C3: Kane Edition after work from Game, is the single player campaign good? And if I do will anyone play me tonight? I'd quite like a big game of that.

Also, anyone with Company of Heroes cool to challenge me yet? I'm really itching for a game.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 14:40 
Legendary Boogeyman

The single player campaign is good, 13 missions. It's been criticised because it doesn't have any GDI missions, but it makes perfect sense to me. The canon of the story has always held to a GDI victory, so the best way to advance the NOD story is to have a NOD-only expansion that moves it forward without any conflicts.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 17:18 
Excellent Member

Just to clear up some confusion:

Command and Conquer 3: Kane Edition was just a Special Edition version of C&C3 with some extra maps and a different box. It has a massive and fun single player campaign with all 3 races.

Command and Conquer 3: Kane's Wrath is the expansion pack which has a very lengthy, tough and fun NOD-only campaign, and a single-player Global Conquest mode that's actually pretty well realised.

Reply to topic  [ 101 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next