Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 170 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
 Post subject: Re: The EU and the UK – a love story
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 14:19 
Gogmagog

Bill Maher is a bunny hugging PETA Mr Knob Face, so his opinions on just about fucking anything can be safely ignored, as you'll get more rational ideas from a hungry shark on meth in Boulder.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 14:58 
Gogmagog

Mr Christmassyfur wrote:
MaliA wrote:
Do you think Milliband has that kind of attraction, though? In my kinder moods, he's fucking terrible.

Yeah, but I think people are starting to remember why they hate the Tories, and are near to coming to the conclusion that anyone would be better than them. Even the adenoidal Millitede is a better bet.

PMQs.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 15:07 

Leaving any party politics aside our parliament really is a completely embarrassing spectacle at times isn't it? I mean it's just plain weird how they conduct themselves whilst discussing important matters. I guess it's just an illustration of how little it actually means to them, they might as well be back at school in a fucking debating group. Wankers.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 15:18 
Gogmagog

markg wrote:
Leaving any party politics aside our parliament really is a completely embarrassing spectacle at times isn't it? I mean it's just plain weird how they conduct themselves whilst discussing important matters. I guess it's just an illustration of how little it actually means to them, they might as well be back at school in a fucking debating group. Wankers.

On the contrary, I quite like the idea of running a country through a slightly drunk boy's club.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 15:30 
INFINITE POWAH

MaliA wrote:
markg wrote:

On the contrary, I quite like the idea of running a country through a slightly drunk boy's club.

Good job that's exactly what's happened since, ooooh, the council of Barons in 1258.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 15:33 
Gogmagog

Mr Christmassyfur wrote:
MaliA wrote:
markg wrote:

Good job that's exactly what's happened since, ooooh, the council of Barons in 1258.

Their second album was a disappointment, though.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 17:13 
Soopah red DS

ElegantBaubleGnome wrote:
Mr Christmassyfur wrote:
EFFECTS of the policies that flow from those views are not.

Effects are entirely arguable, however. 'Blahblahblah the cuts are making me poor' vs 'Long term econominic stability for UK, we'll all be better off in the long run'. Both of which could be true to varying degrees. People are merely predisposed towards thinking about only themselves in the very short term, so an angry reaction to the cuts is understandable, but short-sighted.

I'm sure I've said it before but had it not been for Thatcher, matey, you'd currently have euros in your wallet. Her refusal to agree a timetable for joining it was ultimately what got her kicked. The momentum of that sentiment remains to this day. I don't know about you, but I'm bloody glad for it.

Actually, without Thatcher we might not be anywhere near as 'in' Europe as we are. She managed a public face "I want my money back!" and a behind closed doors "signing every treaty going, get us the fuck right in there".

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 18:06 

MaliA wrote:
markg wrote:

This. Politics should be noisy, loud, and at times rude. Except in the Lords. The noise would give then heart attacks.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 18:11 

Was reading the transcript of Monday's debate in the Common on Europe last night. Well worth it, and some of the comments from the speaker to try to hush the House were hilarious.
And any official record that contains an interjection of '[hon. Members: 'Doomed!'] to capture the atmosphere of a debate is pretty awesome.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 18:14 
UltraMod

I like parliament - it's quaint and quirky in equal measures, a relic of the olden days. It would be worse if they treated it like a business meeting and talked about 'synergising the electorate' and whatnot.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 18:20 

The Daily Show did a whole segment over the summer on how 'awesome' it was that the Commons could attack Cameron over the phonehacking scandal. Worth finding, and also the followup a week later where they point out how under UK broadcasting rules prohibiting the use of Parliamentary clips outside of serious programme the segment couldn't be shown here.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 18:28 

Quaint, quirky and a relic of the olden days just about sums it up and everything that's wrong with it. I guess it doesn't help that tradition apparently dictates that they all behave like a bunch of sycophantic tosspots, braying loudly at every witless aside that their leaders dribble out. Honestly when the camera pans round for a reaction I just want to slap them all.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 18:39 
Legendary Boogeyman

markg wrote:
Quaint, quirky and a relic of the olden days just about sums it up and everything that's wrong with it. I guess it doesn't help that tradition apparently dictates that they all behave like a bunch of sycophantic tosspots, braying loudly at every witless aside that their leaders dribble out. Honestly when the camera pans round for a reaction I just want to slap them all.

This. Despite the speaker reminding them several times that the public probably won't be impressed by their ceaseless honking, it never shuts them the fuck up. Laughing, giggling, pointing, heckling and shouting over everything said by anyone answering a question or making a statement doesn't quite convey the sense of shit-hot administration that government should aspire to. On that score, they're all as bad as each other.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 18:39 
Legendary Boogeyman

DOUBLE POST HILARITY EDIT.

Post subject: The EU and the UK – a love story
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 20:06 
baron of techno

Ironically though, debates in the EU chambers of power are typically of the sober, polite, non-grandstanding model.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 21:08 
INFINITE POWAH

kalmar wrote:
Ironically though, debates in the EU chambers of power are typically of the sober, polite, non-grandstanding model.

Except when Hannan or Farage get going.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 14:22 
Gogmagog

MrChris wrote:
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Mr Kissyfur wrote:
Are they that blinded by the nonsense spouted by the Mail and the Sun et al about straight bananas and “elf and safety gone mad” to understand that the majority of the laws passed in the UK in recent years which are beneficial to workers or consumers originate in the EU?
Yes.

Well, quite.

And given the tendency for people to vote against their own interests, shouldn't we just do away with democracy? It's too good for us, and we clearly don't understand how it works.

(Chuckles)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 14:34 
INFINITE POWAH

This is a quality thread. Brought to you by Mr Chris, folks. Whatever happened to him.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 14:37 
Paws for thought

MrChris wrote:
This is a quality thread. Brought to you by Mr Chris, folks. Whatever happened to him.

He decided that space was passe.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 14:46 
Gogmagog

Mr Dave wrote:
MrChris wrote:

He decided that space was passe.

Died in Space after sacrificing Mali A in an A Wing because Mr Chris IS NO SPACE PIRATE

Reply to topic  [ 170 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4