Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 611 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 13  Next
 Post subject: Re: Playstation Vita
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:47 
UltraMod

Sony > Grim...

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 12:52 
UltraMod

Like the idea of fighting games, but can't be bothered learning millions of combos? Try Divekick, it only has two moves: Dive and Kick. Surprisingly deep despite that.

Also available on PS3 and PC; XBO/PS4 versions coming soon.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 13:06 
8-Bit Champion
Two heads are better than one

British Nervoso wrote:
Like the idea of fighting games, but can't be bothered learning millions of combos? Try Divekick, it only has two moves: Dive and Kick. Surprisingly deep despite that.

Also available on PS3 and PC; XBO/PS4 versions coming soon.

I've played quite a bit on the PC and yes there is a lot to it - one idea at the start was taking the exciting bit of a one on one fighter (the last few seconds) and making the whole game like that.

And i'd say it has more than 2 moves however it only has 2 buttons :-)

(Dive followed by kick gives a different move than kick followed by dive and you can of course press them together !)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 14:52 
I forgot about this - how vain

Anyone got any idea whats the cheapest way to get a vita? I have so many vita games it seems madness not to. That and I've a lot of crossplay titles that would better suit a handheld.

Whats the difference between a slim and old version? Is it worthwhile upgrade?

Faith schools, scientologists and 2-D platform games.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 14:54 

Old one has a better screen (OLED compared to LCD, although it's meant to be a very good LCD in the slim), but the Slim has better battery life.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 14:59 
UltraMod

Get the old one if you can. The screen is much better.

£119.19 on Amazon Warehouse Deals at the moment. That's how I got mine and it was flawless.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listin ... ition=used

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 15:00 

Hmmm, whichever is cheaper than I guess.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 15:08 
UltraMod

Dr Lave wrote:
Hmmm, whichever is cheaper than I guess.

Best price I can find new is ShopTo.net for £129.85. Wifi only.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 15:12 
8-Bit Champion

British Nervoso wrote:
Get the old one if you can. The screen is much better.

£119.19 on Amazon Warehouse Deals at the moment. That's how I got mine and it was flawless.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listin ... ition=used

Also worth bookmarking / checking back on Lewie's site as he often finds cheap ones that crop up and then go out of stock pretty quickly but that 119 above is a good price.

Cheapest that i can see on Savygamer thats still around is a 2nd hand one for £92

http://savygamer.co.uk/2014/03/18/ps-vita-wifi-91-99-2/

You will need to also factor in a reasonable price for a memory card - as big as you can afford and they are quite pricey (for what is just a propitiatory memory card) most games are around 2 gig or so (link for basic sizes - highest i can see on here is the FF pack for 6.6 gig but there are a lot just over 3 http://www.dmgice.com/dg/psvita.html ) if you want a quick way to pick up a card Argos do an 8 gig for £15 http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/p ... 060429.htm or order one from Amazon (16gig plus games for around £32 is not bad http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-PlayStatio ... vita+32gig )

For comparison the older vita's have a OLED screen and are what your going to be able to pick up 'cheaply' the new ones are thinner , have an LCD screen but also have a standard MicroUSB charging cable (the old ones are propitiatory but Sony are really doing well at switching everything over to MicroUSB) and have a slightly longer battery life - the new ones are also in a number of other colours but the big disadvantage right now is that they are 'new' so tend to be quite a bit more expensive

FYI I have the older one and love it - I bought a recharging cable so i can have one in my car and at home - for cards it came with an 8 and i upgraded to a 64gb one which i bought from a Japanese website for around £55 or so but i think you could manage with a smaller one and just swap the games out - and mine is WIFI + 3G but i've never used the 3G in it (and dont fancy picking up another mobile subscription just to occasionally download something when i could just find a wifi hotspot)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 15:14 

Ah, I thought they had swung lower than that, but I guess that isn't really that bad. Cheers though. Really tempted...

Doubly so now my wife has nicked my 3DS to play the new P.Wright.

edit: ooh, thanks Zaphod! Much appreciated. I'm defo getting one, but I think I'll keep an eye of Savvy, I'm gona hope a stock clear of the old version might happen somewhere....

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 15:17 
UltraMod

Dr Lave wrote:
Ah, I thought they had swung lower than that

They have been around £100 at points, but they've only been temporary price cuts.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 16:34 
8-Bit Champion

Vita + 16 GB memory card and some games for £139 from Tesco

http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/ps-vita ... ng-1867308

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 16:52 

ARgh. If Tesco hadn't have decided I don't have an account, I may have made a rather rash decision there. I'll ponder it again after my commute.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 20:50 
8-Bit Champion

So today Sony seem to have made a small change to the store and now all Sony PS1 classics and all PSP titles are now available for purchase and download on the Vita (previously it was a very limited number of both).

Gaf thread covering what titles have been checked but so far it seems just about everything

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=805716

I'd love to see some nice bargain price drops in there but even without it you could pick up something like this : https://store.sonyentertainmentnetwork. ... AMEG000002 which is 28 mega drive games for £8 or Metal Gear Peacewalker for £15 : https://store.sonyentertainmentnetwork. ... ALGE000001

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 20:52 
SavyGamer

There's Pac-Man CE for the PSP which now works on the Vita, and I also grabbed Tomba (dunno if this was compatible before or not)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 21:04 
8-Bit Champion

LewieP wrote:
There's Pac-Man CE for the PSP which now works on the Vita, and I also grabbed Tomba (dunno if this was compatible before or not)

Pac-Man CE - Bought ! - downloading now

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:47 

Yeah I picked up PacMan too. What I would give for a version of DX too.

And I wish outrun 2 was in the store, but stupid saga let the rights expire. :'(

Any other hidden gems?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:17 
8-Bit Champion

Dr Lave wrote:
Any other hidden gems?

Its just difficult to go through and find stuff just now - I've seen people post about Gradius collection but cant find it on the UK store (and you cant easily mix n match Vita games between different stores)

I seem to remember Burnout Legends being quite good on the PSP

https://store.sonyentertainmentnetwork. ... 300024_exc

£8

** edit ** - yes Gradius Collection its on the US store but not the EU one which means that you cant just buy and use it without a lot of faffing around :-(

Quote:
A shooting fan's dream come true! Gradius™ Collection 5 classic games from the Gradius™ Series, I, II, III, IV and the long awaited Gradius™ Gaiden!

https://store.sonyentertainmentnetwork. ... IUSCOLLECT

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:31 

Hmmm, I'm doing post credits stuff on 'Sonic and blah blah Transformed' at the moment, but I'll look into that for my next racing game (although realistically that will be Mario Kart 8).

I'm really loving the Vita - especially as my wife still won't return my 3DS. It's so much better than I expected.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:39 
8-Bit Champion

Dr Lave wrote:
Hmmm, I'm doing post credits stuff on 'Sonic and blah blah Transformed' at the moment, but I'll look into that for my next racing game (although realistically that will be Mario Kart 8).

I'm really loving the Vita - especially as my wife still won't return my 3DS. It's so much better than I expected.

There are two Burnout games (Legend and Dominator) - you may want to watch some youtube stuff to see which one you'd prefer but i seem to remember Legend being the better game.

As for other Vita games you need to have Spelunky / Luft-trousers / TxK

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:43 

Yeah, doing the daily on Spelunky via the vita, and currently number 1 on my leaderboard for Luft-trousers (23k)!

I have TnK and Oli, but haven't given them my attention yet thanks to PS+. Have so many games I want to go through.

Sony are really onto a winner with PS+ it has sold me a vita, and will inevitably sell me a PS4 as well.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:53 
Bad Girl

zaphod79 wrote:
** edit ** - yes Gradius Collection its on the US store but not the EU one which means that you cant just buy and use it without a lot of faffing around :-(

Quote:
A shooting fan's dream come true! Gradius™ Collection 5 classic games from the Gradius™ Series, I, II, III, IV and the long awaited Gradius™ Gaiden!

I can confirm that this is awesome on PSP. It'd have been perfect if Gradius V was on there since that is undisputablyably the greatest ever shoot-em-up ever crafted.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 13:07 
8-Bit Champion

Saturnalian wrote:
zaphod79 wrote:

Quote:

I can confirm that this is awesome on PSP. It'd have been perfect if Gradius V was on there since that is undisputablyably the greatest ever shoot-em-up ever crafted.

It is possible to buy and play it on the PSP but to do that you need to create a US PSN account and purchase it on that and then use a separate memory card (with the US account set) to play it on your vita - you cant use it with a different account.

It would be nice if a future update to the vita allowed you to have multiple accounts on there the same way as the PS3 and PS4 :-(

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 13:29 
SavyGamer

I've been hassling Sony about exactly that. If they could let me put a US and Japanese account on my Vita too, that would be <3.

Gradius V probably is coming to PSN, since it was rerated by the ESRB a while back, but it is likely going to be a PS2 classic, thus not compatible with the Vita.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 13:30 
Paws for thought

zaphod79 wrote:
Saturnalian wrote:
zaphod79 wrote:

Quote:

It is possible to buy and play it on the PSP but to do that you need to create a US PSN account and purchase it on that and then use a separate memory card (with the US account set) to play it on your vita - you cant use it with a different account.

It would be nice if a future update to the vita allowed you to have multiple accounts on there the same way as the PS3 and PS4 :-(

This. The Ballachulish of transferring between eu and jp accounts is... Well, rather considering getting a cheap second hand vita to avoid it.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 15:00 
8-Bit Champion

FYI it looks like this large change has been reversed (PSP and PS One titles *all* being available on the Vita)

Neogaf thread : http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=805716

I do wonder if this was something they were going to announce and make a big fanfare over and accidentally made it live early ?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 16:13 
SavyGamer

zaphod79 wrote:
I do wonder if this was something they were going to announce and make a big fanfare over and accidentally made it live early ?

Most plausible explanation I think.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 17:29 
8-Bit Champion

Neogaf thread has descended into name calling and pointless arguments however it seems that at least some of the titles are still available now in the UK / EU and i'm not sure if they were before or not.

Pac-man CE is still showing as available for the Vita (I dont think it was before otherwise i'd have bought it)
The Sega Megadrive collection that i linked to above is still showing as available - however the Burnout games are not.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:07 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

zaphod79 wrote:
Neogaf thread has descended into name calling and pointless arguments

Wait - you have to descend to that on other forums?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:12 
8-Bit Champion

Grim... wrote:
zaphod79 wrote:
Neogaf thread has descended into name calling and pointless arguments

Wait - you have to descend to that on other forums?

All other forms descend into that - on here we aspire to it !

Actually because of the size there seems to either be a larger number of trolls or a larger number of complete idiots on there who follow company lines regardless of what it was - in the Vita PSP there there are a significant number of posters who said this was a glitch and therefore if you bought something and didnt transfer it over you have no comeback and you should count yourself lucky that Sony allowed you to give them your money :-)

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 14:11 
Bad Girl

Also, that Muramasa, goddamn it's pretty. Like, real purdy. This has gotta be one of the most beautiful game I've played on the Vita so far.

Shame that the fighty sword smash ain't that hot. It reminds me an awful lot like The Dishwasher on XBLA yet it's not quite as responsive. Dishwasher was like Ninja Gaiden with it's hyper responsive twitch gameplay but Muramasa is a bit less intuitive. Plus, I might be playing it on hard, but I'm assuming that easy also has you swamped by 6 ninja at a time making it incredibly difficult to know what's going on. Anyone who plays it on normal, can you, like, tell me if you're getting the same on any easier setting? I'm minded to start again if there's less going on. It's not that bad though, but it's taking a little to get into.

But, damn, it's purdy.

Oh hang on, the voice acting! It's sounds MARVELLOUS! I'm loving the voice acting even if I can't understand what's going on (notwithstanding the subtitles).

Well worth a free download on PS+ though. I'mma stick with it.

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 14:20 
Paws for thought

Saturnalian wrote:
Also, that Muramasa, goddamn it's pretty. Like, real purdy. This has gotta be one of the most beautiful game I've played on the Vita so far.

Shame that the fighty sword smash ain't that hot. It reminds me an awful lot like The Dishwasher on XBLA yet it's not quite as responsive. Dishwasher was like Ninja Gaiden with it's hyper responsive twitch gameplay but Muramasa is a bit less intuitive. Plus, I might be playing it on hard, but I'm assuming that easy also has you swamped by 6 ninja at a time making it incredibly difficult to know what's going on. Anyone who plays it on normal, can you, like, tell me if you're getting the same on any easier setting? I'm minded to start again if there's less going on. It's not that bad though, but it's taking a little to get into.

But, damn, it's purdy.

Oh hang on, the voice acting! It's sounds MARVELLOUS! I'm loving the voice acting even if I can't understand what's going on (notwithstanding the subtitles).

Well worth a free download on PS+ though. I'mma stick with it.

It's pretty much the same in terms of enemy quantity. (assuming legend/chaos is the difficulty - I'm lead to believe that it's actually a difference in simpleness of controls, but not sure.)

Enjoying it greatly though.

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 14:46 
Bad Girl

Seems a strange decision to smash you with 6 at a time from the outset. Especially since the tutorial against one ninja doesn't really prepare you for the battles you'll actually be having.

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 16:35 
Paws for thought

I don't know - I didn't find it that hard. Quick draw and a few smacks with my strongest sword, and didn't take any damange.

Indeed, most fights I manage to avoid damage.

(Plus also, there's a certain randomness as to which fights you'll get.)

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 11:06 

Talking of PS+ - Everbody's Golf is brilliant.

I've never been a golf game fan (outside WiiSports) and only got it as it's 'free' - but it's really got it's claws into me. Perfect for a portable. Really relaxing. No reason not to give a go.

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 11:07 
Awesome
Yes

Dr Lave wrote:
Talking of PS+ - Everbody's Golf is brilliant.

I've never been a golf game fan (outside WiiSports) and only got it as it's 'free' - but it's really got it's claws into me. Perfect for a portable. Really relaxing. No reason not to give a go.

Gosh, I remember that from the PS1.

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 11:10 

Yeah, it's called Hot Shots Golf in america I think.

I haven't even looked at the online, but there is weekly tornaments, and asynchronous play, chat rooms and everything.

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 12:02 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

I'm quite a fan of Golf games recently but I'd forgot all about this one. I might see if I can get it working on one of the handhelds I've got.

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 13:55 

You've multiple vitas?! Cor.

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 18:33 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

Ha! I wish. No, I've got a couple of handhelds capable of playing PS1 games so I'll have a got getting it on one of those.

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 10:15 
Paws for thought

Mr Dave wrote:
I don't know - I didn't find it that hard. Quick draw and a few smacks with my strongest sword, and didn't take any damange.

Indeed, most fights I manage to avoid damage.

(Plus also, there's a certain randomness as to which fights you'll get.)

The boss I've got to, mind.
Easy,easy,easy,easy... reach the last bar... sudden screen wide attacks that remove your entire life bar. :/

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 9:02 
ugvm'er at heart...

PS Vita get today, assuming anywhere has them in stock. It's me birthday on Tuesday see, and it's the present from the wife :)

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 12:18 
ugvm'er at heart...

No good deals in actual shops, best was £180 for a slim with one of the memory card games pack from Game.
I've just ordered the same from Tesco Direct for £139 (or £132 if the quidco tracks properly), I can pick it up from the local supermarket on Tuesday :)

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 18:07 

Bought/downloaded Ridge Racer as it is (was?) on offer for seven quid. Disappointingly, despite looking fantastic for a handheld game it feels like a playable demo rather than a full game. Oh well.

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 21:07 
8-Bit Champion

Anonymous X wrote:
Bought/downloaded Ridge Racer as it is (was?) on offer for seven quid. Disappointingly, despite looking fantastic for a handheld game it feels like a playable demo rather than a full game. Oh well.

I was tempted by it since it was on special but the reviews said so much was removed - I'm pretty sure the offer on PSN was for the 'deluxe' version which had all the DLC stuff - is there maybe an option somewhere to download all the extra tracks / cars that your missing ?

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 11:27 

zaphod79 wrote:
Anonymous X wrote:

I was tempted by it since it was on special but the reviews said so much was removed - I'm pretty sure the offer on PSN was for the 'deluxe' version which had all the DLC stuff - is there maybe an option somewhere to download all the extra tracks / cars that your missing ?

You have to download them all individually and manually(!), and there still aren't many tracks to race on once you've downloaded them. And: no single-player career mode. Just one-off races and time trials.

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 11:41 
8-Bit Champion

Anonymous X wrote:
You have to download them all individually and manually(!), and there still aren't many tracks to race on once you've downloaded them. And: no single-player career mode. Just one-off races and time trials.

Glad I avoided it - I'm doing the same for Lego Batman 2 right now - its only a fiver but its another 'dumbed down' port so its missing the hubworld and a lot of the other bits that were in the main games (I've no idea why they chopped it out)

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 11:51 

zaphod79 wrote:
Anonymous X wrote:

Glad I avoided it - I'm doing the same for Lego Batman 2 right now - its only a fiver but its another 'dumbed down' port so its missing the hubworld and a lot of the other bits that were in the main games (I've no idea why they chopped it out)

From my understanding, it's a lazy port of the 3DS version.

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 11:53 
UltraMod

Yeah, they mostly are as the 3DS was chosen as the lead platform for obvious reasons. It's a shame as the Vita could do full versions of these games.

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 17:24 
ugvm'er at heart...

Uncharted then. As far as I can tell, only being 20 minutes in, it's extremely linear, go where your told and press what your told, and if you fall off something you die and go back to a checkpoint miles back.

Unless anybody tells me it gets massively better, i'm going to delete it.

Reply to topic  [ 611 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 13  Next