And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 2918 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 59  Next
 Post subject: Re: Dark Souls
PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 20:26 
Slightly Brackish

Malabelm wrote:
Stop selling this to me, you cunts.

What? They're talking gibberish and making it sound as fun as being pelted with eggs...

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 20:45 

Yes, but the eggs are fair.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 14:27 
Bad Girl

Boss done using the cheaty drop onto his head and slash away move repeated times. I didn't seem to get any souls or any good stuff off him either for the trouble which was annoying. Then I managed to kill the hog (hours later) using the bonfire before spotting some tit with his back to me and figuring I could sneak up and finish quickly. Turned out he was much bigger than he initially looked. Cue a chase through the castle Benny Hill style with him eventually catching up to me and giving me a good kicking. Fuck.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 15:49 
I forgot about this - how vain

1. This is amazing.
2. I suck at it.
3. This is amazing.

Faith schools, scientologists and 2-D platform games.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 19:15 
Part physicist, part WARLORD

I have this. I am shit at this.

I'm at a section where I have the choice between taking on a black knight in a narrow corridor, or go up some stairs and fight a giant bull boss on some castle walls. Both have incredibly strong forward attacks, and I can't seem to manoeuvre around them at all.

But I will persevere, as otherwise it's surprisingly good fun.

Now, is there no way to sell things, or see how gear in a shop compares to the stuff you're wearing?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 19:33 
Bad Girl

Y'know, I don't think you can sell items for souls. You could only trade minerals and stone in Demon's if I remember rightly. You can compare stats for what you're holding (you probably know this, sorry) but it doesn't let you compare at the merchant which is a bit shit as you have to remember what you overal figure is for each piece of kit you've got on.

I didn't manage that knight in the corridor yet. There's some item behind him but he's too powerful for me at the minute. Seven fire bombs didn't kill him.Go for the boss. Remember there's a ladder behind you as soon as you step on the ramparts! Spam him and he'll go down.

I've finally reached the second merchant - that was bloody rock solid. I was fighting off those large knights with red eyes with a slither of energy and no health in the flask. The sense of accomplishment and fear of death is unrivalled.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 19:44 

Ian Fairies wrote:
Y'know, I don't think you can sell items for souls. You could only trade minerals and stone in Demon's if I remember rightly. You can compare stats for what you're holding (you probably know this, sorry) but it doesn't let you compare at the merchant which is a bit shit as you have to remember what you overal figure is for each piece of kit you've got on.

I didn't manage that knight in the corridor yet. There's some item behind him but he's too powerful for me at the minute. Seven fire bombs didn't kill him.Go for the boss. Remember there's a ladder behind you as soon as you step on the ramparts! Spam him and he'll go down.

I've finally reached the second merchant - that was bloody rock solid. I was fighting off those large knights with red eyes with a slither of energy and no health in the flask. The sense of accomplishment and fear of death is unrivalled.

Boooo, that's poor. Still, a minor complaint.

I'll forget about the black knight, then. Just as I did with the graveyard of fucking bollocks-hard skellingtons at the start.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 19:55 

The knight is insanely powerful. The big boss is actually a piece of piss. I'd recommend watching the Giant Bomb video I posted on the previous page to everyone - it really helps give you a good understanding of what the game is about and how to play it. The big boss on the castle walls can be killed in any of about five or six ways. You can even make him fall off the wall to his doom! Personally I used an item I found earlier - pine resin or something - it coats your weapon with electricity which knocks some serious HP off the boss. I didn't even have to bother with jumping off the ladder to kill him - just rolled around and dodged his attacks, slicing at him.

As for selling items - apparently there's a merchant later in the game who'll buy stuff off you for souls, so don't drop anything. Although, apparently dropping items will send a "crab" creature to another person's game (chosen randomly) that is made out of the items you dropped. The more items you drop, and the better they are, the more badass the crab will be and more likely it is to ruin some poor fucker's day. :DD

Any way, back to inheritance tax tedium. Hopefully I'll get amongst it again before bed. :'(

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 20:00 

I downloaded the mini strategy guide that came with the Ltd Edition game, so have had a quick read of that re. the boss guy.

I did kill a sparkly woodlouse-looking creature that dropped a shield before. Reckon that was a ‘crab’ thing?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 20:08 

Malabelm wrote:
I downloaded the mini strategy guide that came with the Ltd Edition game, so have had a quick read of that re. the boss guy.

I did kill a sparkly woodlouse-looking creature that dropped a shield before. Reckon that was a ‘crab’ thing?

Hmm, maybe! I haven't seen one yet!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 22:17 
Bad Girl

That crab thing sounds aces. Do you get any feedback whether your crab killed whoevers game it invaded?

I'm saving my Pine Resin (and anything else valuable) cause I know they'll be a time when I'll need to throw "everything" at "something'.

Tip for Spear Guys: Stove their heads in with the mace - it can often break through the shield or allow you to keep bashing. Pissing bloody Spear guys - they never throw the first punch. Cants.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 22:49 

I fucking hate spear guys! They're a perfect example of how impatience will get you killed. And in my case, constantly does. They're a piece of piss to take down once you're getting the hits in, but getting frustrated and trying to hit them when they've got their guard up will result in taking a few too many spear jabs to the face.

re: the crabs - I dunno! I hope so. I only read it in passing over on NeoGAF. I should probably look into it a bit more myself, but most of those guys seem to know what they're on about.

edit: Have asked on NeoGAF. The Dark Souls Wikis are pretty thin on the ground at the minute. Can't wait for the people who are currently playing it to death to start updating them. There's so much in this game to see and do. You can miss out whole chunks of stuff, kill things that you didn't even think you could kill and find loot by killing things in certain ways. But right now, we're all kind of fumbling around in the dark.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 0:22 
Bad Girl

That was brilliant! Just had some guy leave a message that he wants to join my game to help kill the bell tower gargoyle bosses! He stabbed away while I beat one in the ass to get the gargoyle axe. Then the other cheaply killed us both with the smallest piece of energy left. Gah!

FYI if you find the red lance with the axe head the cloaked knights become a piece of piss all of a sudden.

Man, this game is aceskillz.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 0:42 

Oooh, I killed a silvery crab thing - thats awesome!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 0:53 
ugvm'er at heart...

The more you talk about this game, the more terrible it sounds! :D

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 1:24 

Dr Lave wrote:
Oooh, I killed a silvery crab thing - thats awesome!

Damn it! I want one!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 1:27 

Here we go - from the Wiki:

Quote:
Vagrants

Vagrants are NPC Black Phantoms spawned from dropped equipment. Dropped equipment has a chance to become a vagrant and invade other peoples' worlds. The longer items are on the ground, the more powerful the Vagrant. The more powerful the vagrant, the higher chance it will drop better armor than what spawned it. Essentially, you might run across an NPC Black Phantom that drops rare armor simply because someone decided to drop a set of armor from their world and it morphed into a Vagrant that invaded yours.

Such a fucking cool game. I love how the developers tell you basically fuck all and everything is left up to the community to work out.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:53 
Excellent Member

How is the combat?

I got interested when people mentioned atmospheric and ico about this title. Seems like you just have to go about killing things to collect souls. Is that the gist? Is it open ended orpaths to follow? Any choices? Or do you have to eventually kill all these things you are mentioning?

What is the save system like? If you die is it restart the whole game?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:01 
Hibernating Druid

Hhhhnnnnnnggg

This is the next game for me. I have to see it for myself now.

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:49 
Paws for thought

I thought demons souls was good, but I found it too oppressively bleak to get too far. (And the controller burger my hands)

So this is probably a get cheap later, although I may head back in to demons souls.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:52 
8-Bit Champion
Two heads are better than one

Mr Dave wrote:
(And the controller burger my hands)

mmmmmmm Burger

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 12:04 

LaceSensor wrote:
How is the combat?

I got interested when people mentioned atmospheric and ico about this title. Seems like you just have to go about killing things to collect souls. Is that the gist? Is it open ended orpaths to follow? Any choices? Or do you have to eventually kill all these things you are mentioning?

The combat is solid. It can be fast and frantic, but you'll die very quickly if you're not patient.

If you die, you return to the last bonfire you lit, and all of the enemies respawn. You lose all of the souls you've collected, which you have to pick up at your corpse. If you die between doing that, you stand to lose a fair deal.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 13:08 

How does it work if you want to stop playing? I presume you always return to the last bonfire? So, roughly how often (in actual time) do you see these things?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 13:11 

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
How does it work if you want to stop playing? I presume you always return to the last bonfire? So, roughly how often (in actual time) do you see these things?

I presume you do, yeah, but can't confirm it. They're quite common. Certainly not rare enough so far to feel stranded.

Edit: at a decent rate of progress, I'd say I run across a new one every 20 mins. But I haven't got too far yet. You can go back to one, but using a bonfire respawns everything.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 13:47 

Just quit anywhere and when you fire it back up you're exactly where you left off, bonfire or not. The game saves literally every few seconds. If you so much as aggro an enemy it saves.

Bonfires are few and far between, but you open up shortcuts to avoid enemies and get back to where you were without fuss. You actually use the same bonfires for completely different sections of the game with the help of said shortcuts. So 'stoking' your bonfire to increase your health flask to 10 shots instead of five is recommended.

It's pretty lenient on quitting and restarting the game. The harshness is found in spawning back at a bonfire when you die, with all enemies respawned.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 14:41 

WTB wrote:
Just quit anywhere and when you fire it back up you're exactly where you left off, bonfire or not. The game saves literally every few seconds. If you so much as aggro an enemy it saves.

Bonfires are few and far between, but you open up shortcuts to avoid enemies and get back to where you were without fuss. You actually use the same bonfires for completely different sections of the game with the help of said shortcuts. So 'stoking' your bonfire to increase your health flask to 10 shots instead of five is recommended.

It's pretty lenient on quitting and restarting the game. The harshness is found in spawning back at a bonfire when you die, with all enemies respawned.

I stand corrected. Also: ace.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 18:44 
Excellent Member

Malabelm wrote:
LaceSensor wrote:
How is the combat?

The combat is solid. It can be fast and frantic, but you'll die very quickly if you're not patient.

If you die, you return to the last bonfire you lit, and all of the enemies respawn. You lose all of the souls you've collected, which you have to pick up at your corpse. If you die between doing that, you stand to lose a fair deal.

Sounds cool
I have some amazon vouchers I might use

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 19:55 

This is really starting to click now. Got some great items and I'm dispatching those caped bastards with ease. I've never felt such a sense of accomplishment with an RPG before. The combat takes genuine skill. I know my opinion is taken with a pinch of salt around here, but I fucking love this game. The last couple of hours have been absolutely fantastic.

And it really is the difficulty that makes it all the more satisfying when you get things right. There's no difficulty slider, you can die in one hit from most enemies, there's nobody telling you where to go. You're just on your own, shitting yourself. Progress feels like a proper accomplishment.

I love the subtle touches as well that soften the loneliness. Your main objective is to ring a bell in a church tower, and when you get near the church, you hear it ringing every now and then. That's other players ringing the bell. Awesome.

Oh, and no loading. A massive seamless world. How the chuff do they do that?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 20:26 

Indeed, it's like nothing I've ever played before. I mean, you've got to have the mindset that you need for games like Super Meat Boy, but if you can get on board it's sublime.

I love the fact that combat is slow. I'll circle a searguy waiting for an opening, knowing that a moment of impatience can end me.

Brilliant.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 20:59 

Yep. The length of some of the sword fights I've had is ridiculous!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 21:23 
Bad Girl

I love that everyone that's playing this is enjoying it as much as when I first played Demon's Souls. It's not for everyone, sure, but there's something about it that's magic.

I kept get Estus flasks recharging yesterday every now and again and I'm sure that happens when someone + rates your messages!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 21:44 

I got one-shot by a guy in plate armour, wielding a sword I can only describe as an incredibly large, erect-if-slightly-bent penis. He beat the living shit out of me.

Fortunately I lured him away from his spawn point, so I rescued the ~5000 souls and 3 humanity I'd lost.

Awesome.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 22:06 

What colour was his armour? Has anyone found the orange armoured dude? He drops an awesome ring. You let him out of jail, but I attacked him. Took ages to kill him. His metal armour clacking against the floor as he rolled around sounded brilliant. In fact, the sound effects generally are great. Every piece of armour makes a different noise when you move. And has anyone else noticed that every single weapon in the game has its own animations and moves? Also also, the enemies visibly go into different stances dependent on what they're planning to do, be it parry, block, defend, go all out attack, etc.

So much stuff! Seriously, I'm blown away by the depth of it. The polish and the little details. The only thing I can really nitpick at is the occasional dodgy camera angle and terrible frame rates from time to time.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 22:07 

Finally killed the fucking Taurus Demon. Hell yeahs. When I died straight after before getting to a bonfire I thought I had to do it all again - but thankfully I hadn't.

Also, you can quit at any point and it will start you there when you reload. Considering my life is hellabusy at the moment, and I barely get a second to think, it's weird this is both my game to relax, and the game I can fit into 10 min chuncks.

Acebest.

Also spoiler for the dragon:

ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
Apparently if you hide in the bit under the bridge after knocking down the ladder you can spy the dragons tail whilst unmolested. Puncture it with enough arrows and you get a bad ass sword!.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 22:08 
Worst

Stop making me want this before it goes sub-£20!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 22:14 

Dr Lave wrote:
Finally killed the fucking Taurus Demon. Hell yeahs. When I died straight after before getting to a bonfire I thought I had to do it all again - but thankfully I hadn't.

Also, you can quit at any point and it will start you there when you reload. Considering my life is hellabusy at the moment, and I barely get a second to think, it's weird this is both my game to relax, and the game I can fit into 10 min chuncks.

Acebest.

Also spoiler for the dragon:

ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
Apparently if you hide in the bit under the bridge after knocking down the ladder you can spy the dragons tail whilst unmolested. Puncture it with enough arrows and you get a bad ass sword!.

Aye the Drake sword! I'm using it now - it's truly badass! I had to pump some souls into strength, mind. Had to use it two-handed before which is a bit risky. Now I'm swinging it with one hand and brandishing my shield. Awww yeahhhh.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 22:36 
Bad Girl

I've found the guy in the tower. I didn't murder him as he said he'd give me a reward later. Still ain't found him yet but then again three humanities and all my pine resin gone I haven't killed those sodding gargoyles.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 22:40 

I've read that he kills an important NPC or something, so it's best to kill him. It'll be interesting to see what happens in your game though! Apparently he's quite similar to a guy from Demons Souls? Did it ring any bells when you saw him?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 23:03 
Bad Girl

Actually there was a guy who gradually bumped off your allies in the main hub. I can't remember him looking the same. The guy in orange armour in Demon's Souls was one of the first people you meet and helped you out in various spots. He did turn right at the end though for some reason I can't remember but it was for some righteous reason or other.

Still, now I'll have to kill that guy next time I meet him! I don't want him making a hard game any harder.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 23:11 

WTB wrote:
What colour was his armour?

Just a normal grey/silver. He was in the tower you climb to get to the Taurus boss, through the locked door on the ground floor. I used my trusty Master Key thing to go through, ignored all of the handy player-written warnings on the floor, and proceeded to get royally fucked. Think I'll wait a bit and fuck him up when I'm stronger; he surely carries or guards something useful.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 23:12 

Haha! Not sure I met him! This game reminds me of the original Prince of Persia a bit. You know before you get the sword? And you run the wrong way into the guard? That bit. But for the entire game.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 23:21 

WTB wrote:
Haha! Not sure I met him! This game reminds me of the original Prince of Persia a bit. You know before you get the sword? And you run the wrong way into the guard? That bit. But for the entire game.

I didn't play that, but it sounds about right. I got absolutely battered in the graveyard before realising there was a ramp right by the bonfire to take you up to the right zone. And having just started again as a Pyromancer (man they're fun), the guy you talk to actually gives you a whole load of information if you nag him. Well, until he gets fed up and tells you to piss off, anyway.

I'm back to where I was last night now, but I'm too full of cold to carry on. But now I've not lost any souls, and have managed to pick up a healing spell, a bow, and a whole load of arrows, so I'm in much better shape this time around. The combat is clicking, too, now I'm lighter than the Knight I originally picked; now I can circle strafe and roll to my heart's content, then beat the living shit out of people from behind with my giant mace. Awesome.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 23:41 
Hibernating Druid

throughsilver wrote:
Stop making me want this before it goes sub-£20!

:this:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 0:10 
Bad Girl

This is weird. I kept shooting the dragons tail but it didn't drop the sword, but I noticed that he stomped around on the bridge so I shot him one last time and made a run for it up the steps and towards the dragon. I managed to run under his legs and to the other side! The dragon gets a bit pissed but then flys off and there's a respawn point.

It only opens the gate near where the Undead Parish starts after the rats though, but still, I crapped myself for a minute. This giant Claymore sword waits on the bridge though to be picked up.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 0:34 

I haven't managed that! How long did you shoot his tail for? It takes like 50 arrows... I just got killed by the Gargoyles. I wasn't really trying hard enough - they seemed quite easy - I just got taken out by the damn fire breath during a lapse of concentration. Might save it for tomorrow night now.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 0:43 

Had two more goes. It's not easy! I need to take out the first one before fire face turns up to spoil the party. Will continue tomorrow. But what a game, eh? I've already ploughed 15 hours into it since Friday!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:31 
Bad Girl

Once the dragons gone, it's gone. I'm sure it'll pop up again later in the game but I'm not getting that sword now. I stuck about ten arrows in the tail but got bored after that. I don't think I had fifty anyway!

Has anyone seen this though, as you come down the lift in the Undead Parish before you get to the bottom you can step off onto the ruins. If you walk along you can see an item shining on the roof of a building but I can't see a way across. Anyone else seen that? The lift brings you back to the start point with the skeletons which a little easier and one poke of my big lance and they fall over. I thought I might take a look since I was struggling with the gargoyles but there are some mahoosive skeletons in the graveyard too that slapped the shit outta me and my pokey stick. I think I'll leave that for a little while yet, although you can reach the catacombs if you defeat about 4 skeletons. Not that you want to go down there either yet...

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:34 

You people are making me want this.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:04 
Excellent Painter

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
You people are making me want this.

:this:

However, seeing as I'm only half way through GeOW3, haven't started Deus Ex yet and Forza 4 is out on Friday, I think my resistance fu is high at the moment.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:16 
Hibernating Druid

It's at the top of my LoveFilm rental list now.

Reply to topic  [ 2918 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 59  Next