And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Re: Celebrities you have met,
PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 20:07 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Malc wrote:
I worked with Jo Guest in about 2001 at the millenium dome whilst doing a quake 3 challenge (she was there as some eye candy) I thought she was really bitchy when not actually working, just rude and all me, me, me. Everyone else was all gaga over, but i didn't even think she looked pretty...

Malc

To be fair, she was working as eye candy for a Quake 3 challenge. I imagine she wasn't exactly in the best of moods with regard to the state of her career, there.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 20:17 
Isn't that lovely?

In 1996/1997 Grifff Rhys Jones filmed an episode of bookworm in the Internet cafe where I was working, he was alright, polite and whatever, but he did keep himself to himself, and looked like he didn't want to be there, and was critical of the coffee...

Malc

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 20:25 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

I was once good friends with a girl that went out with RICK-AAAAH off EastEnders. He was quite a laugh, although it was a bugger trying to go out anywhere because everyone would want to talk to him.

I've met Kevin Spacey at a party (or someone that sounded just like him, some Beexers will know the story), he was funny and properly drunk. I saw Lily Allen's second or third UK concert in a small bar and spoke to her at the bar afterward - and borrowed her lighter. Jimmy Carr is just a ridiculously nice guy. Derren Brown was fairly cool but obviously in a hurry, Jimmy White is short, Anneka Rice likes Wheetus (specifically Teenage Dirtbag), The Duke of Edinburgh likes Basement Jaxx (specifically Bingo Bango). Just last month I had a brief chat with Chris Moyles in a pub garden, and we decided that we don't look alike - we're both just fat men with beards.

I've met a whole load of Club DJs - Tong, Seb Fontaine, Fab and Groovy, Teisto (couldn't understand a fucking word he said), Lottie and suchlike.

And, finally, and bestly, I spoke to Holly Willoughby a few times. She's best. I loves her.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 20:26 
Worst

Internet coffee is a perfectly fine beverage.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 20:28 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

TheVision wrote:
I'm not a fan of Top Gear and James May has always seemed a bit aloof and a bit of a cock to me.

I met him this summer and I was proven wrong. He was a genuinely nice guy who seemed interested in what people were saying to him.

Dude...
What about Steve Corino and Al Snow?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 20:35 
Isn't that lovely?

Craster wrote:
Malc wrote:
I worked with Jo Guest in about 2001 at the millenium dome whilst doing a quake 3 challenge (she was there as some eye candy) I thought she was really bitchy when not actually working, just rude and all me, me, me. Everyone else was all gaga over, but i didn't even think she looked pretty...

Malc

To be fair, she was working as eye candy for a Quake 3 challenge. I imagine she wasn't exactly in the best of moods with regard to the state of her career, there.

Fair point, I think she was well paid for it mind, it was very, very well financed.

Eurogamer review of it here: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/battletop_uk1

Bloody Hell it was 11 years ago!

Malc

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 20:37 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Eurogamer were about eleven years ago?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 20:40 
Isn't that lovely?

Grim... wrote:
Jimmy White

Ah, he used to play snooker, at the place opposite where I grew up, he often parked his car, on the road below our living room window. I think my brother spoke to him a few times, and was alright.

I went to Steve Backley's Dad's Pub for a Christmas meal once, I don't think Steve was there, or maybe he was for a few minutes, but he had to go to training. (my dad was good friends with his dad)

Malc

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 20:42 
Isn't that lovely?

Grim... wrote:
Eurogamer were about eleven years ago?

I remember when it was started by members of (I think EED - Eat Electric Death) and it was a big rival to Barrysworld, I didn't think much of it, as it had a Q2 influence, which I wasn't fond of, being from a qw background (the camps merging a bit with q3). For that reason I don't really go there for gaming information, unless I follow a link...

Malc

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 21:16 
Part physicist, part WARLORD

I haven't met a single famous person. I walked past Britney Spears on the street once, apparently, but didn't notice her. Ditto Adam Sandler.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 21:28 

Sod! I fucking love Britney.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 21:29 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

Grim... wrote:
TheVision wrote:
I'm not a fan of Top Gear and James May has always seemed a bit aloof and a bit of a cock to me.

I met him this summer and I was proven wrong. He was a genuinely nice guy who seemed interested in what people were saying to him.

Dude...
What about Steve Corino and Al Snow?

Have I ever mentioned my days as a wrestling referee? Well... pull up a chair, this could take a while.... :facepalm:

I've met loads of wrestlers and the majority of them are really nice, polite people if a little, shall we say.. unhinged.

Masato Tanaka didn't speak much English but was happy to show off the massive bag of cocaine he had in his suit case. The Sandman is proper bonkers. Raven is pretty funny and took a shine to me because I looked like a friend of his from America. Al Snow is very polite and knows a lot about how to make a good match work for the crowd. Goldust was a little spaced out :nerd: and was very big. Bret Hart was a genuine class act and seemed very laid back. Jeff Jarrett kept himself to himself but wanted to entertain the crowd in the best way possible. Hacksaw Jim Duggan was loud. The Blue Meanie ate more pizza than I've every seen anyone ever eat. Rhyno liked swearing. Abyss smokes and was suffering from jet lag. C.M Punk was cool and was happy to talk tattoos with me. Christian Cage was very well dressed... and I went clubbing with Chris Jericho in Bristol. He almost had a fight with a guy who kept asking him about different wrestlers. "What's Hulk Hogan really like? How about Kevin Nash? What about Eric Bischoff? What about Vince McMahon?... etc, etc"

I've also met Jason Donovan who was really nice and Chris Shiflett from the Foo Fighers who is actually quite small.

AND.... I've been hit on the head by Timmy Mallets mallet.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 22:10 
Excellent Member

Readingthis on my phone so can't look back easily, who was the one who mentioned going to school with Jason manford? He's from my town, which school was it and where do you live?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 22:34 
ugvm'er at heart...

Daley Thomson used to go out with the girl next door, and came round for tea.

Barron Knights used to come into the nursing home that my mum worked at.

Two of the dwarves from the seven dwarves reality show were at the coach station last week.

Beat that, beexers...

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 0:01 
Isn't that lovely?

Jeremey Beadle lived in the flats opposite mine, and Lionel Blair used to be seen walking past my primary school.

Malc

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 0:47 
Excellent Member

Forgot, bff met Danny Dyer last month at a club. He sat with her for the whole night and was "wonderful and gorgeous and funny and handsome and and and" "you do realize he was trying to get into your pants right?" "oh fuck!! he was wasn't he shitshitshitshit!!"

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 1:38 
Sleepyhead

Went to a competition winner thing with APOD a month or two back to have dinner with Graeme Swann. He was a great laugh, pretty much like you'd expect, and was happy to answer questions truthfully and not stick to 'sanitised' answers.

I interviewed Fountains of Wayne waaaay back in the day. They were very nice. Oh, and the singer from Athlete is a friend of a friend, and a lovely chap.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 2:03 
It's all pish

My "famous people" list is pretty crappy, actually.

I met Glen Michael of Cartoon Cavalcade fame (will mean nothing to you unless you're Scottish and over thirty). He came to the Cowdenbeath Gala when I was about 5 and happily agreed to having his photo taken with me.

Kirsty Wark, whose production company I worked for briefly while at university, seemed nice enough when I met her, but I think she'd much rather have been interviewing someone famous than shaking my hand and saying hello.

David Steel appeared to have the attention span of a gnat, in spite of being a nice enough bloke, and caused me great distress by disappearing to the toilet when I was trying to get him onto the stage for a live TV programme.

Nancy "Bart Simpson" Cartwright seemed to be a nice lady when I saw her signing books in a Dublin book store. It is, however, freaky as hell listening to Bart Simpson's voice coming out of a middle-aged woman's mouth.

I won't even mention Dave Prowse, as I'm sure every Briton of a certain age had him visit their school.

Blimey, what a terrible list. FAMOUS FAIL.

Xbox Live & Game Centre ID - MalcSeventyFour
You're not allowed to be better than me, though.

Post subject: Celebrities you have met,
PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 8:25 

I've worked at A TV studio, radio station and theatre before now so met famous people all the time, most of them boring and I can't be bothered listing them. However, I really don't like Fern Britton.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 9:04 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Curiosity wrote:
I interviewed Fountains of Wayne waaaay back in the day. They were very nice. Oh, and the singer from Athlete is a friend of a friend, and a lovely chap.

How come?

I've just remembered that I've been drinking with Fred Dibnah. He liked to talk, but was a fairly interesting chap.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 14:47 
and!

Quote:
Yeah, 1997? Did he do Tears of the Dragon and Children of the Damned?

Yup! All acoustic. Ace. Strangely, I missed the tour that followed despite buying the very good Accident of Birth. The next album (Chemical wedding) was the really special one, though.

Comedy podcast, films and that - http://www.wenton.co.uk - Now with Hammer horror special

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 15:02 
Excellent Member

I interviewed Gary Stringer out of Reef (you know, they did the "Put yer hands on" song) and he was very, very, very nice. However, he does have a disturbing amount of body hair. The hair on his shoulders seemed to be a couple of inches long. I'm also now wondering why he had his top off.

I served Badly Drawn Boy in a pub. He's a wanker. He ordered some drinks for him and some mates, and then after I'd poured them, he decided he wanted some other drinks instead. And he didn't want to pay for the previous drinks.

Also, my mum went to school with Roy Castle (she liked him) and my sister in law met the wrestler Yokozuna a few hours before he died. Apparently he was very scared of spiders...

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 16:12 
Sleepyhead

Grim... wrote:
Curiosity wrote:
I interviewed Fountains of Wayne waaaay back in the day. They were very nice.

How come?

Student newspaper.

Oh, and it was in 1996... 7 years before they won their Grammy nominations for 'Best Newcomer'.

:D

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 17:06 
Worst

ltia wrote:
Quote:
Yeah, 1997? Did he do Tears of the Dragon and Children of the Damned?

Yup! All acoustic. Ace. Strangely, I missed the tour that followed despite buying the very good Accident of Birth. The next album (Chemical wedding) was the really special one, though.

Good times. He played in Leeds HMV. It started out as just metal fans in the audience, but then pretty much all passers-by heard the awesomeness and came in to listen.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 18:15 
Ready for action

Malc74 wrote:

I met Glen Michael of Cartoon Cavalcade fame (will mean nothing to you unless you're Scottish and over thirty). He came to the Cowdenbeath Gala when I was about 5 and happily agreed to having his photo taken with me.

I remember this and I'm a youthful 27 :) I hadn't realised it was only in Scotland though.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 20:28 
Ezekiel

Ant and Dec in an airport bar about five years ago. Not only were they happy to get a picture with my mates from work (business trip), but stuck around and chatted about football with everyone for twenty minutes as if we were all old mates in their local. Genuinely top blokes in my experience.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 21:43 
Excellent Member

At Reading festival in 2004 there was a bloke in the Atticus tent shouting about his DVD, I started chatting to him, declared he wasn't on a DVD and that he was just a "Welsh cunt", he insisted he was playing on one of the stages, I called him a liar. Anyway, it turned out he was the lead singer of Funeral For A Friend and I only realised this when I saw the crowd of mini-moshers stood behind me waiting for his autograph.

I met Pat Sharpe on my hen do when he was DJing at the club we were at in Leeds. I told him I used to do handstands when he came on tv. As soon as I said it I turned round and face-palmed at my friend. Poor old Pat, he didn't know what to say to my comment.

When I was in Amsterdam last year with Itsallwater's Missus and our friend Liam we saw the curly haired boy from Waterloo Road and we spent the best party of an hour trying to work out who he was. I met him again today at Butlins in Skeg, told him the story and ended the story with "You are from Waterloo Road aren't you?", thus proving that I shouldn't be allowed to meet anyone ever, least of all famous people.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:26 
Master of dodgy spelling....

I met David Belemay when I was about 7 and I was dressed as a giant Ladybird...

Have met Lawrence Dallaglio in the toilets at a rugby dinner... he is a man mountain..

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:32 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Ange wrote:
At Reading festival [...] blah blah [...] famous people.

Didn't you meet the entire WWE roster, like, yesterday?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:47 
Excellent Member

Grim... wrote:
Ange wrote:

*cough* fancy dress *cough* :(

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:55 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Ange wrote:
Grim... wrote:
Ange wrote:

Hahahahahahaha!

Who were you?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 12:05 
Excellent Member

Grim... wrote:
Ange wrote:
Grim... wrote:
Ange wrote:

Hahahahahahaha!

Who were you?

I was at a 90s weekender at Butlins in Skegness and I was dressed up as a 90s raver. I was tempted to dress up as Hulk Hogan though :D there were loads of men dressed up as Higan but no women, so I'd have stood out :)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 12:09 

Once, back when I was working in a record shop, I couldn't understand why most of the staff were hanging around the upstairs department (classical, jazz, folk, etc where I worked) and were staring intently at a customer. It was only when he handed me his credit card to pay for a CD that I learnt I was serving Van Morrison.

I've met a number of politicians when they were giving lectures (Tony Benn several times), and when I was 10 Ken Livingstone cut my steak for me in the House of Commons restaurant. Oh, and Chris Patton once bought me a pint.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 12:42 
Isn't that lovely?

Kern wrote:
and Chris Patton once bought me a pint.

I went to school with his daughter...

and Harry Greenway's son...

Malc

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 12:46 
Ticket to Ride World Champion

TK-421 wrote:
throughsilver wrote:
I remember when they were just called Drain. Hottest Alice In Chains ever.

So do I. They had to change it when they went to America.

I always wondered why that was; they were hot!

Also, love the little drop of "I went clubbing with Chris Jericho." That is so cool!

Also, also, I think Kern maybe a little middle class! :D

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 13:32 
Gogmagog

I doubt I'd recognise anyone famous at all, I spoke to Goldie once at a nightclub in Sheffield. I didn't know who he was, I'd almost bumped into him and a couple of his friends, and apologised, had a brief chat, and told him that I had to go as I was looking forward to the DJ coming on soon, and I hoped he has a nice evening.

James Lavell seemed a pleasent enough man, I knew who he was as he signed my friend's driving licence.

Gok Wan was in a pub in Oxford I was in. It was quite funny as MrsA didn't believe me when I said he was there, as I never know who people were. There was a discretionary 10 foot zone around him, nobody seemed to want to speak to him. He followed me into the toilets and I felt self consious as I was painfully aware Id dressedfrom the floor that day as I wasn't expecting to be in a pub with a fashion attack dog.

Oh, and Kris Akabousi at school, and some footballer who played centre forward for Plymouth Argyle at a wedding. The footballer and I spent most of the evening eyeing up the birds and then I pulled one and it was funny as it turned out she was working downstairs at the place I was and stuff like that so SNooksie kept sending me down to offer her (and the interior design girls) cakes and sweets and things.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 13:45 
Excellent Member

Rhys Ifans - seems like a down-to-earth guy, really approachable and pretty funny. Loves his drink.

Gareth Gates - seemed nice enough, but I didn't go out of my way to speak with him.

Terry Pratchett - erudite and warm. Wish I could have spent more time with him.

Danny Boyle - entertaining and really enthusiastic about cinema, as you'd expect.

There are more 'famous folk' but I won't bore you with them (religious figures, politicians and fairly unknown authors and poets, mostly).

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 15:52 

Kern wrote:
Once, back when I was working in a record shop, I couldn't understand why most of the staff were hanging around the upstairs department (classical, jazz, folk, etc where I worked) and were staring intently at a customer. It was only when he handed me his credit card to pay for a CD that I learnt I was serving Van Morrison.

Now there's a guy who doesn't take kindly to people treating him like a celebrity. In fact he doesn't take kindly to people, full stop. Much like fellow Ulsterman Josef Locke, whose daughter was best mates with ym aunt back in the day. he was an utter cunt by all accounts. My mate who can vouch for the Morrison nature summary from her time on the circuit over there can also vouch for the downright loveliness of Christy Moore.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:15 
Gogmagog

Rory McGrath was standing behind me as I was buying contraception from a petrol station in St Austell 13 years ago.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:28 
Unpossible!

I sold Gary Barlow some batteries in Liverpool Airport. He was a very nice man. Also: short.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:06 
Excellent Member

Was he off on holiday or coming back for good?

Book me in the Face | Tweet me. Tweet me like a British nanny.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:08 
Sleepyhead

Was it the greatest day of your life?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:11 

Kern wrote:
Danielle once ducked out of serving a rough-looking customer who was trying to buy codeine-containing cough mixture (a common problem case for pharmacists) who she was sure had been in lots of times before because he looked familiar. Her colleague served him instead. It was Ben Stiller.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:13 
Paws for thought

MaliA wrote:
Rory McGrath was standing behind me as I was buying contraception from a petrol station in St Austell 13 years ago.

Were these facts related?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:15 

My list of celebrity meetings is abysmally short:

Gary Wilmot.

Although I suppose technically you can count the time that I embarrassed Charlie Dimmock in front of a crowd of gardening types.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:30 
Comfortably Dumb

GazChap wrote:
Although I suppose technically you can count the time that I embarrassed Charlie Dimmock in front of a crowd of gardening types.

More detail required. I'm guessing you didn't point out that her bra straps were showing.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 13:48 

I was helping out a family friend, who was supplying a bouncy castle to our local garden centre on their gala opening day. Charlie Dimmock was there to open it, and afterwards she was touring around the grounds doing the whole meet-and-greet guff.

She made a bit of small talk with me at the bouncy castle, asking how the day was going etc. and then asked if she could have a go.

"Yeah, of course, 50p please and don't forget to take off your shoes and socks."

She did the whole "Do you know who I am?" type thing in response, can't remember her exact words, and I just said "Uh... no, sorry." and she got all embarrassed and went off in a bit of a huff.

//edit: To clarify, I did know who she was, but I'll be damned if I'm letting her go on it for free. Had she been bra-less, that would have been a different story.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:56 
Gogmagog

Forgot this.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:14 
INFINITE POWAH

:DD

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 20:33 
Noob as of 6/8/10

MrHobbs wrote:
Readingthis on my phone so can't look back easily, who was the one who mentioned going to school with Jason manford? He's from my town, which school was it and where do you live?

Apologies for the delay ... I was me who posted it, but my daughter who knew him at Chorlton High School.

Forgot to mention that we used to see Mick Hucknall at lot in and around Chorlton when he lived on Brooks Road in Old Trafford. We once queued up behind him at a supermarket checkout. Can't remember what he was buying, but it wasn't anything spectacular.

Reply to topic  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next