All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 113 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: Home Networks
PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 16:24 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
The major advantages of my WHS over a NAS unit are;

1) drive expansion -- I have four bays, which are all consolidated to a single big volume in the software. I can add and remove drives at will.
2) per-volume redundancy -- some of my stuff is mirrored across drives, some isn't. Can toggle this on the fly.
3) flexible software -- mine runs Couch Potato, sabnzbd, Sick Beard, for example.
4) can shell onto box and move files locally -- handy for moving 10 gig+ files around on the box without having to pull them down to and back up from a client
5) can put disks in any other computer and read them, so I've a bit more confidence that I can recover if the hardware goes pop
6) much more CPU and RAM grunt -- makes some DLNA transcoding tasks feasible (can your NAS handle 1080p?) and makes big unRAR jobs much faster
7) probably more I've forgotten.

Aha -- as Cras says, be an offsite backup host.

4 and 5 it can do (I'm almost positive 4 isn't an issue with Win7 anyway), it doesn't transcode so 6 is out (although I've not found that to be an issue just yet). It can also run Dropbox with not much fiddling (you just have to go into the shell and wget the installer). I only watch one folder but if I drop a .torrent file into it the NAS will pull it down for me, which is cool.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 16:43 
Master of dodgy spelling....

Is there an idiots guide to sickbeard, couch potatoe etc

How is it different from torrents?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 16:46 
Excellent Member

Grim... wrote:
I'm almost positive 4 isn't an issue with Win7 anyway

It's not; I often open a folder on my desktop machine from my laptop and move stuff around directly on the desktop's drive without pulling the files over to the laptop then pushing them back again. Indeed I thought I remembered doing that with XP as well, but maybe I didn't.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 17:00 
ugvm'er at heart...

KovacsC wrote:

I'm pretty certain I posted you a load of links last time ;)

Sickbeard and the like are just admin and and automated searching tools, which can send torrent files to a torrent client to download whatever it finds, or nzb files to a usenet client.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 17:02 

Bamba wrote:
It's not; I often open a folder on my desktop machine from my laptop and move stuff around directly on the desktop's drive without pulling the files over to the laptop then pushing them back again. Indeed I thought I remembered doing that with XP as well, but maybe I didn't.
The data is still flowing through your laptop when you do this. Unless SMB got a lot smarter in recent times, anyway.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 17:05 
Excellent Member

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
The data is still flowing through your laptop when you do this. Unless SMB got a lot smarter in recent times, anyway.

I'm pretty sure I can move GBs of files from one folder to the next like this in seconds rather than the hours it would actually take (on my shite network) if it was moving through the laptop. I'll try it tonight though to confirm.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 17:09 

Bamba wrote:
I'm pretty sure I can move GBs of files from one folder to the next like this in seconds rather than the hours it would actually take (on my shite network) if it was moving through the laptop. I'll try it tonight though to confirm.
This would suggest SMB has become smarter, which would be nice. However, I'd be more interested in moves between two top-level shared volumes on the same server than between two folders within the same volume, which is a different optimisation pattern.

It might also be the sort of thing that only works with Windows $SOME_NEW_VERSION on both server and client. I only have Macs as clients, so that's an issue for me. I'll try it.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 17:11 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Bamba wrote:
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:

That's because if you're mobmving files on the same volume, it doesn't actually need to move the data, just tell the filesystem that it's in a different logical location. Try it with copying data or moving it to a different drive and it'll take ages again.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 17:16 

Trooper wrote:
KovacsC wrote:

Sickbeard and the like are just admin and and automated searching tools, which can send torrent files to a torrent client to download whatever it finds, or nzb files to a usenet client.

You did and I can't find it.

Is usenet worth the investment?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 17:19 
Part physicist, part WARLORD

KovacsC wrote:

It certainly is for me, where P2P stuff is massively throttled whenever I'm at home. Newsgroup stuff always downloads at full speed without hassle.

But I download all the stuff manually. Everything to do with automation seems like loads of fucking about, and I'm a moron.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 17:20 
Excellent Member

Craster wrote:
That's because if you're mobmving files on the same volume, it doesn't actually need to move the data, just tell the filesystem that it's in a different logical location. Try it with copying data or moving it to a different drive and it'll take ages again.

Aye, I know how files copy vs file move works in general; but the point the Doc's making is that when you were doing file operations on a remove drive mapping previously it would copy/move the files 'through' the local machine you were logged onto rather than performing the operations directly on the remote machine even when you were copying/moving only within the same remote disc partition. And I'm saying I think that doesn't happen any more; at least when you're doing it on two Windows 7 machines as I am at home. A bit of quick Googling shows that MS introduced SMB version 2 with Windows Vista which could account for the change I see at home. It only uses v2 if both machines in question are running Vista or onwards thought which would also explain why the Doc sees the old behaviour when using his Mac to hit a network share.

Or I'm talking utter shite and it doesn't work the way I think it does at all, but I'll try it tonight when I get home and report back either way in case anyone cares.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 17:24 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

KovacsC wrote:

Depends how much you care about the legal aspect of it. Given that with torrents it's incredibly easy for someone to track who's downloaded a given file, as well as the fact that by torrenting you're technically distributing content rather than just downloading it, I'm astonished that anyone uses torrents any more.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 17:28 
Unpossible!

Also, nntp traffic isn't shaped in my experience.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 17:28 

I don't know how to use an alternative... :)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 17:50 
ugvm'er at heart...

KovacsC wrote:
Trooper wrote:
KovacsC wrote:

http://www.sickbeard.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=10
http://christopher-williams.net/2010/08 ... ick-beard/

I watch pretty much all my TV via download these days, so for me it is.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 21:25 
Excellent Member

Just checked and yeah, when working with two Win7 machines moving files on a remote machine definitely doesn't push the file operation through the local machine.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:31 
Excellent Member

This thread will do! Despite my flat being about the size of a fucking shoebox my Sky router still often struggles to get a decent wifi signal from the living room to the bedroom. I understand that 'being generally awful' is a standard feature of ISP supplied routers so I'm thinking I should maybe pick up something better. I'm not looking to spend a fortune here because it's a minor irritation more than anything so my only real requirements are that it's an improvement on the bundled Sky thing and that, well, it works with Sky's broadband. Also, how do you actually switch these things out? Do I need to spoof the MAC address and whatnot?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:33 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

IIRC the only thing you have to do is fuck about with the firmware on the existing one so you can get the actual broadband username and password to enter into the new one.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:37 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Can you not grab a wifi extender?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Belkin-Mounted ... ag=beex-21

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:37 
8-Bit Champion
Two heads are better than one

Other options are :

Wifi range extenders (which do work but it will depend on the availability of plugs and whatever else is interfering with signals
Homeplugs

You could also check what channels are being used (there are a variety of different apps and sites that do it but i cant find the one i used to use which was something by Cisco - meraki or similar)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:45 
Excellent Member

Grim... wrote:

Yeah, maybe, I wasn't sure how effective these things actually were. Have you used them? Are they any good?

zaphod79 wrote:
Other options are :

Wifi range extenders (which do work but it will depend on the availability of plugs and whatever else is interfering with signals
Homeplugs

You could also check what channels are being used (there are a variety of different apps and sites that do it but i cant find the one i used to use which was something by Cisco - meraki or similar)

I've got limited sockets at the point where the router is so I don't think a Homeplug would really work. I've checked the channels in the past and the router was doing as good a job as it could of auto-selecting the least cluttered channel, but in a street that's full of individual flats it doesn't really make much difference sadly.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:46 
Excellent Member

Actually, fuck it, for the sake of £20 delivered I've just bought that extender Grim linked to so hopefully that'll sort it!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:49 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Bamba wrote:
Grim... wrote:

Yeah, maybe, I wasn't sure how effective these things actually were. Have you used them? Are they any good?

Indeed I have, and it seemed to work pretty well.

This app will show you how strong the signal is from each device: https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... i.analyzer

Reply to topic  [ 113 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next