Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 7450 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, 106 ... 149  Next
 Post subject: Re: The 'NAY!' Thread
PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 18:02 
Comfortably Dumb

Could have been worse.

Attachment:
car-through-window_w670_h503.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 18:02 
Hello Hello Hello

How did you manage that then? Apart from 'not stopping in time', obviously.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 18:46 
Hibernating Druid

I imagined it much worse. Sure that's an easy fix.

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 19:31 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Hearthly wrote:
How did you manage that then? Apart from 'not stopping in time', obviously.

I was trying to wrestle a trailer into my driveway and the parking sensor was, let's say, "optimistic".

It threw a propshaft bearing on the way home, just for added fun.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 9:23 
Hibernating Druid

No new Game of Thrones to download today.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 9:40 
Hello Hello Hello

Grim... wrote:
I was trying to wrestle a trailer into my driveway and the parking sensor was, let's say, "optimistic".

See now you wouldn't have had that problem in my Merc.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 9:41 
Hibernating Druid

Because it's at the garage?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 9:45 
Hello Hello Hello

Zardoz wrote:

Because the Parktronic is broken.

viewtopic.php?p=912591#p912591

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 9:51 
Gogmagog

Zardoz wrote:

*snort*

Z!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 10:44 
Esoteric

Ear infection. Not in my ear but in the tissue surrounding my ear. Yay for aspie obsessions (headphones 16 hours a day) coupled with warm weather.

Still, I managed to sleep 21 of the past 24 hours and I guess I needed it.

I had it last year and it aches like buggery whilst itching like fire. It really sucks, and it seems it's spread into my cheek and the inside of my mouth too. Off to the docs at 3pm, hopefully they'll give me the spray I had last year when I had it that mings of vinegar. It still took a few days to work but stopped the itching part.

A slightly dizzy JC.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 9:46 
Esoteric

Not been sleeping very well due to ear infection. Last night I got about four hours, which is tough when I'm taking sleeping pills as they don't wear off that quickly so I feel like a zombie.

Any way, this is not so much of a nay in the whiny sense but I didn't know where else to put it. I bought an album the other week called BBC Sounds of the 80s Vol 2. Any way, on it is a acoustic version of UB40's Red Red Wine...

When I was nine years old I used to go to a summer project during the six week holidays. Basically they would open up a school and you would go there during the day and do fun things like bingo, sewing, art etc. They also had special days where they would bring in trampolines and we would go on trips by coach down to the coast. It was fun, and I guess at that age every one gets along and whilst kids can be kids you harbor no true anger or hatred.

Any way, that summer a friend of mine from summer project was taken to waste ground opposite the bridge at Streatham Common station and was murdered by a local kid called David Fox. David had learning difficulties but Aaron's mother trusted him to look after Aaron. Any way, they went to play in the waste ground and for some unknown reason David flipped and killed Aaron.

Right around that time Red Red Wine came out by UB40. It's not the most cheerful song, but I distinctly remember not being able to listen to it without crying my eyes out for Aaron. So this morning I finally decided to listen to the song. I didn't cry (probably because of the meds I'm on) but I felt extreme sadness. As I say, not in a pissy whiny nay kinda sense but just extreme sadness that my friend's life was taken so soon. I decided to see if there was any record of this online and it turns out there was.

Dated September 1983.

It's been a very long time. However, Aaron will never be forgotten. Not by me.

This is not the only song I have trouble listening to. Just after my dad died it was Leaving on a jet plane by John Denver that I just couldn't listen to.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 17:02 
sneering elitist

Agreed to take on another 2 cats for a friend who had to recently move because her landlord was selling, and one of them got out on night 1, came back on night 2, got out again on night 3 and then didn't come back. She was run over last night outside her old house. :( Feel like a right cunt about it.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 17:35 
Decapodian

Bum :(

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 14:37 

Next door, or the gist above (can't remember which) apparently has something wrong with their sill, which has expanded under the fronting of the flats. The building management company have known this two years or more, and we've been trying that long to get someone to have a look.

They contacted us with less than 24 hours notice to say they'd be coming in today to have a look inside. As I explained, both myself and my baby are ill, and we'd need a bit more notice. I thought that was what I said, anyway. However, it must have sounded to them more like 'bring your ladders and a pair of binoculars and a camera and scare me stupid by invading the privacy of my home whilst I breast feed my child in my living room.

I am so beyond upset. I actually don't have any peace left in my head

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 18:23 
Excellent Member

Been off work for 2 days with a nice mixed cold and stomach bug.

We have also been potty training my 3 year old son for the last 2 weeks.

He has worked out that the way to get a reaction from us is to piss on the floor as a sort of fuckyou\last word when we doesn't get his own way.

So been cleaning up after a human puppy for 2 bloody days :(

We were advised by health visitors and friends working in child care to ignore the deliberate toilet antics and that is staring to work.

Not easy though, especially when he has done it couple of time and is trying again when he clearly has no pee left, but still is assuming the position and concentrating, in that situation for me the difficulty is to leave the area before I burst out laughing :)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 18:30 

One of my brothers did this as the boys were potty training while their dad was abudive and then removed from the house for some time by the courts. Both boys acted out in vsrioys ways, but one did exactly as you describe, including trying to pee on an empty bladder.

What we found to work was that when he did wee on the floor was to remove him to another room where he was safe, but out of sight of where he'd wee'd. We would pick him up and move him to another room with a simple 'that was naughty' said calmly, nothing else said. Then we'd clean up but out of his sight. I think doing the clean up out of his sight was important as he never got to see the trouble that his actions caused, so all it resulted in was a bit of 'out' time for him.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 18:36 
Excellent Member

Mimi wrote:
Next door, or the gist above (can't remember which) apparently has something wrong with their sill, which has expanded under the fronting of the flats. The building management company have known this two years or more, and we've been trying that long to get someone to have a look.

They contacted us with less than 24 hours notice to say they'd be coming in today to have a look inside. As I explained, both myself and my baby are ill, and we'd need a bit more notice. I thought that was what I said, anyway. However, it must have sounded to them more like 'bring your ladders and a pair of binoculars and a camera and scare me stupid by invading the privacy of my home whilst I breast feed my child in my living room.

Mimi, that's bloody awful :(

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 18:49 
Excellent Member

Mimi wrote:
One of my brothers did this as the boys were potty training while their dad was abudive and then removed from the house for some time by the courts. Both boys acted out in vsrioys ways, but one did exactly as you describe, including trying to pee on an empty bladder.

What we found to work was that when he did wee on the floor was to remove him to another room where he was safe, but out of sight of where he'd wee'd. We would pick him up and move him to another room with a simple 'that was naughty' said calmly, nothing else said. Then we'd clean up but out of his sight. I think doing the clean up out of his sight was important as he never got to see the trouble that his actions caused, so all it resulted in was a bit of 'out' time for him.

The peeing is a red herring really, its all about reaction for him. I think that I give him too much attention, my world revolves around him and I spend all my spare time with him. Thought that made me a good Dad but maybe its back fired as now we expect some more independent play etc and he doesn't want that.

Take Sunday, my wife was watching the tennis on the main TV, so I take him upstairs to the other one and let him watch his shows, which is a treat as we try to regulate screen time.

I wasn't finding Fireman Sam too stimulating so I starting reading a Kindle book, he threw the (empty) potty downstairs as he just wants me to be at his beck and call ready for an order all the time!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 19:02 
Excellent Member

Mimi wrote:

Missed this is my keeness to bitch about my mad son!

That is shitty, focus on getting your house bought as this sort of renting related crap will stop then :)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 23:38 
Excellent Member

More people have just been killed in France. A lorry ploughed into a crowd at a fireworks celebration in Nice. It seems the attack was deliberate, and it sounds very bad. :(

Bored? Why not look at some pretty pictures on my photography blog? Here: http://petetakespictures.com

Come & See My Flickery Pics Here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/nervouspete/

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 23:48 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Sixty dead so far. The driver got out of the truck and started firing into the crowd so it's definitely an attack :(

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 0:02 
Excellent Member

Fuck, I can't believe they keep getting hit like this. And the attacks show such horrible effectiveness.

I pray the French keep cool heads. A few more of these and I'd fear an eventual repeat of the 1961 Paris massacre.

Bored? Why not look at some pretty pictures on my photography blog? Here: http://petetakespictures.com

Come & See My Flickery Pics Here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/nervouspete/

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 0:10 
Unpossible!

Christ that's evil.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 0:17 
Sleepyhead

Over 70 dead. Donald Trump already tweeting about how this proves him right about everything, because he's a fucking evil cunt.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 0:31 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Grim... wrote:
Sixty dead so far. The driver got out of the truck and started firing into the crowd so it's definitely an attack :(

So far I've only seen the comment about a shooter being attributed to a single witness, so I'm not sold on that yet. Certainly does seem deliberate though :(

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 7:10 

goodness. Didn't see this until this morning. More than a nay I think it deserves a thread of its own. But why do people think that France especially keeps getting targeted? Are the terrorists usually French citizens?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 7:20 
Paws for thought

They do have some laws that are seen to be more anti Islam /more secular than its neighbours. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/French_ ... e_covering
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/French_ ... in_schools

But I don't think it's that simple.

There's probably some element of social proof in there, for a start.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 7:33 
Decapodian

Mimi wrote:
goodness. Didn't see this until this morning. More than a nay I think it deserves a thread of its own. But why do people think that France especially keeps getting targeted? Are the terrorists usually French citizens?

I think France has a fairly high population of north African & Muslim (with origins going back to colonial times), quite often concentrated in the poorer suburbs. In addition, rather than try and work on integration between communities it's taken a relatively hardline stance with some laws that are perceived as anti-Islam.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 8:29 
Excellent Member

Nasty attack and a worrying change in tactics. Bombs are not something every fanatic has access to, but anybody can get hold of a lorry.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 8:36 
Hello Hello Hello

This is the problem with lo-tech terrorism, any fucking nutbag with a desire to kill can do a pretty serious amount of damage with 'everyday items', especially if they have no interest whatsoever in surviving the attack.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 8:49 
Gogmagog

"Nice is jihadist breeding ground" says expert

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 8:52 

He seems to be backing that up with all the evidence.

They've said the same thing about Walsall, as well.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 9:15 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Mimi wrote:

Because people at a magazine drew a cartoon.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 9:33 

Grim... wrote:
Mimi wrote:

That was Jyllands Posten, no? So Danish. Unless there were more cartoons on another occasion?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 9:35 
UltraMod

Mimi wrote:
Grim... wrote:
Mimi wrote:

That was Jyllands Posten, no? So Danish. Unless there were more cartoons on another occasion?

Charlie Hebdo

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 9:41 

Oh, goodness, of course. I don't know how I forgot that. So, were they original cartoons, or re-prints of the Jyllands-Posten? It doesn't so much matter, I'm just wondering why France is targeted so much when I think *many* places published those cartoons in solidarity.

I think the colonial ties with Islamic North African countries and poor slum areas where Muslim citizens are treated as an underclass are probably important points in this, I just wondered if there was a discernible catalyst point when the attacks started.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 9:47 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

They were originals, drawn just a few days after protests and attacks due to a film about Muhammad. It was basically religious hate speech, which everyone (except for Islamic folk, obv) seemed to ignore, and they should be fucking ashamed of themselves.

Of course, the reaction is insane, and I'm not condoning it for a second, but people sure are quick to forget why it started.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 9:49 
Gogmagog

Mimi wrote:
Oh, goodness, of course. I don't know how I forgot that. So, were they original cartoons, or re-prints of the Jyllands-Posten? It doesn't so much matter, I'm just wondering why France is targeted so much when I think *many* places published those cartoons in solidarity.

I think the colonial ties with Islamic North African countries and poor slum areas where Muslim citizens are treated as an underclass are probably important points in this, I just wondered if there was a discernible catalyst point when the attacks started.

Hezbollah have bombed French citizens repeatedly in the 1980s, then another lot took over in the 1990s as a result of the war in Algeria.

Along the way, Basque seperatists, Corsican seperatists and Breton seperatists have dobe terrorism, too.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 9:55 
Heavy Metal Tough Guy

France was also a Colonial Power in Syria and Lebanon, so there's probably some residual fallout from that.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 9:57 
UltraMod

Grim... wrote:
They were originals, drawn just a few days after protests and attacks due to a film about Muhammad. It was basically religious hate speech, which everyone (except for Islamic folk, obv) seemed to ignore, and they should be fucking ashamed of themselves.

Of course, the reaction is insane, and I'm not condoning it for a second, but people sure are quick to forget why it started.

I completely agree.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 9:59 

Grim... wrote:

The film was hate speech or the cartoons (or both)? I don't think I've actually seen any of the cartoons, so I'm not really sure what they contain. Actually I'm going to go and look now.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 10:01 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Lonewolves wrote:
Grim... wrote:

I completely agree.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 10:02 

Mimi wrote:
Grim... wrote:

The film was hate speech or the cartoons (or both)? I don't think I've actually seen any of the cartoons, so I'm not really sure what they contain. Actually I'm going to go and look now.

D'oh. Forgot I can't speak French. What a tit.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 10:05 
UltraMod

Mimi wrote:
Mimi wrote:
Grim... wrote:

D'oh. Forgot I can't speak French. What a tit.

Domage

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 10:22 
Hibernating Druid

I can't speak French,
So I'll let the funky music do the talking talking.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 12:03 

Zardoz wrote:
I can't speak French,
So I'll let the funky music do the talking talking.

I was, by coincidence, listening to this while reading through this thread and arriving at your post:

Life Is Strange.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 12:10 
Hibernating Druid

lasermink wrote:
Life Is Strange.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 12:41 
Gogmagog

Mimi wrote:
He seems to be backing that up with all the evidence.

They've said the same thing about Walsall, as well.

Reading the bit under the clip, he says "dozens" have joined, which I suppose is a non insignificant number. There was a treasure trove of ISIS application forms found which have given up a lot of intelligence, so maybe he got it from there.

When we were there we didn't really explore the bits that weren't the old city or the PdA, so we didn't see the less great bits. There's a Foreign Legion recruitimg office there, too.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 12:47 
Ticket to Ride World Champion

isis application forms?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 12:48 
Gogmagog

Bobbyaro wrote:
isis application forms?

Yes. As mind boggling as it sounds, their beaurocracy game is strong.

here is some news and it was on PM a few times, too.

Reply to topic  [ 7450 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, 106 ... 149  Next