Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 7441 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94 ... 149  Next
 Post subject: Re: The 'NAY!' Thread
PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 19:20 

DavPaz wrote:
I've never been to T1

You're not missing much...

To be fair, my earlier post was obviously an attempt at humour :D (it's not like Spanish airports are oases of beauty and calm either, though I'd argue they're better than ours).

But, whilst I don't claim to be particularly well traveled by any means, clearly the world does has much to offer. I think I read sometime back that :attitude: doesn't even possess a passport; I suppose it's up to each individual as to whether or not they want to see anything of the world, but to me, I just don't get it. :shrug:

Dr Lave wrote:
Of course, he's normally wrong but interestingly wrong :p

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 19:39 
Esoteric

When I was a kid we went to France. You had to shit in a hole on the floor and the food was nasty. I mean seriously, snails and frog legs? firstly snails are snails, what's the point? and secondly there is hardly any meat on frog's legs. Oh and then there was the inescapable fact that their sewers are about ten inches under ground so the whole place minged of rotten eggs.

Then we went to Spain. The hotel wasn't finished yet and the water ran orange. Good thing we discovered Orangina really.

And it just continued. The Yanks don't speak proper English and live in wooden houses during hurricane season, nuff said.

Honestly after travelling loads as a kid and even as an adult I can safely say I would rather just stay here. When I left the UK in 1999 our idea of top nosh was a baked bean pizza. So I can forgive you back in those days. Now? we have some of the finest restaurants in the world serving all of the great food so you don't have to visit their shite country for it.

When my lady and I go to Hampshire we always go here.

http://www.verveine.co.uk/

I will vouch for the Turbot. It's incredible.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 19:52 
Filthy Junkie Bitch

It always strikes me that in most UK airports, Departures is a lovely glass walled experience with loads of places to eat, whereas in arrivals, you're lucky to find a toilet cubicle where only two of the following features prevail -broken lightbulb, broken lock on the door, sprayed with shit all over the place.

Go to foreign and the opposite holds true. Depatures is an afterthought but arrivals is clean, efficient and welcoming. It's almost like they've considered that it would be a good thing if your first impression of their country is a positive one.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 20:44 
Gogmagog

http://www.theatlantic.com/features/arc ... ts/384980/

Interesting article about Isis from what Wikipedia describes as a moderate publication. It is fairly long so you'll finish it quicker if you move your finger under the words faster

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 20:52 
Sleepyhead

JohnCoffey wrote:
When I was a kid we went to France. You had to shit in a hole on the floor and the food was nasty. I mean seriously, snails and frog legs? firstly snails are snails, what's the point? and secondly there is hardly any meat on frog's legs. Oh and then there was the inescapable fact that their sewers are about ten inches under ground so the whole place minged of rotten eggs.

Then we went to Spain. The hotel wasn't finished yet and the water ran orange. Good thing we discovered Orangina really.

And it just continued. The Yanks don't speak proper English and live in wooden houses during hurricane season, nuff said.

Honestly after travelling loads as a kid and even as an adult I can safely say I would rather just stay here. When I left the UK in 1999 our idea of top nosh was a baked bean pizza. So I can forgive you back in those days. Now? we have some of the finest restaurants in the world serving all of the great food so you don't have to visit their shite country for it.

They used to throw shit out of windows in London and let it rot in the street. They still do up North.

I also had a terrible campsite experience in the South of France when I was a child, but that was over 30 years ago. There are plenty of shit place in the UK, ditto France, USA, and most other places. Still, some of the best times of my life have been in the States, or Barbados, or France, or Estonia, or Solvakia, etc.

Certainly nicer than when I lived in Moss Side.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 21:06 
Excellent Member

Curiosity wrote:
They used to throw shit out of windows in London and let it rot in the street. They still do up North.

What the fuck?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 21:07 
Gogmagog

Bamba wrote:
Curiosity wrote:

What the fuck?

Windows are things that let light into houses. And shit out.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 21:23 
Gogmagog

Bamba wrote:
Curiosity wrote:

What the fuck?

They do throw shit from windows in the North of England as a great many houses or flats are not on the sewer network.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 21:44 
Hibernating Druid

Only at Southerners.

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 0:27 
Unpossible!

It's quicker than going outside to the toilet

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 1:44 
Can you dig it?

ApplePieOfDestiny wrote:
It always strikes me that in most UK airports, Departures is a lovely glass walled experience with loads of places to eat, whereas in arrivals, you're lucky to find a toilet cubicle where only two of the following features prevail -broken lightbulb, broken lock on the door, sprayed with shit all over the place.

Go to foreign and the opposite holds true. Depatures is an afterthought but arrivals is clean, efficient and welcoming. It's almost like they've considered that it would be a good thing if your first impression of their country is a positive one.

This is a good point, although an airport in foreign may also seem better due to the novelty and holiday feeling. Except LAX, that's a horrid airport with horrid staff in a horrid city.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 7:34 
Excellent Member

I tend to go more often to the same place when traveling abroad these days, we have a 2 year old so its more about a decent place with as little traveling hassle as possible.

Just booked my 3rd trip to Benalmadena in Spain for May 2016, the first 2 we spent in a cheap and cheerful hotel, this time we wanted some more space and a better kitchen (hotel had rings and microwave only)

So I booked a 3 bedroom apartment, I found the block this year whilst out for the day, so I know exactly where everything is and what to expect.

Also know the sun will shine and there is a pool which is all I need for a 2 year old!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 11:08 
Esoteric

Curiosity wrote:
JohnCoffey wrote:

I also had a terrible campsite experience in the South of France when I was a child, but that was over 30 years ago. There are plenty of shit place in the UK, ditto France, USA, and most other places. Still, some of the best times of my life have been in the States, or Barbados, or France, or Estonia, or Solvakia, etc.

There are good and bad places everywhere. I actually tested out that "Other side of the tracks" USA saying once. You literally went from white picket fences straight into the ghetto.

As some one who relies heavily on our NHS I can safely say it's the most wonderful organisation in the world bar none. My 'team' are amazing and I could not be without their help. That's the sort of thing that sets the UK apart. For example, mate of mine has Asperger's (USA). Because of that he suffers with anxiety really badly so needs to take Citalopram. However, because of his condition no one will insure him, so he can't get the help or the meds he needs. And this is very common in the USA apparently and "Obamacare" sucks poo filled orifices.

Now I know alot of you fit and healthy young scamps on this forum don't need to lean on healthcare but what if you did? what if you needed 24/7 care like I do?

It's not like I don't speak from experience. BTW? you don't have to live in bad places in the UK. There are ways out. I got out of London....

There are things that irk me about the UK. The town next to me has been referred to as "Little Poland" and whilst I don't mind them one bit (and even make sure I go to the Polish deli for their smoked meats and pickles) they do have bad habits. Like setting huge fires on the beach making them look like ass.

But I can live with that.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 11:30 

I've just had to swear at the work Village Idiot to get him to understand why what he was telling stores was not only wrong but also completely counter-productive and damaging.

Seriously, don't tell people (when you have zero idea of what you are talking about) that a problem has arisen because I have failed to do my job when, in fact, I have done my job perfectly and the problem has arisen because of something completely unrelated to me or my work.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 11:38 
Gogmagog

Mimi wrote:
I've just had to swear at the work Village Idiot to get him to understand why what he was telling stores was not only wrong but also completely counter-productive and damaging.

Seriously, don't tell people (when you have zero idea of what you are talking about) that a problem has arisen because I have failed to do my job when, in fact, I have done my job perfectly and the problem has arisen because of something completely unrelated to me or my work.

I know that feeling. Sympathies.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 15:57 

Monkey stole our pretzels:

>:|

https://goo.gl/photos/ooFz889WFEGxJF5fA

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 16:17 
Sleepyhead

JohnCoffey wrote:
Curiosity wrote:
JohnCoffey wrote:

There are good and bad places everywhere. I actually tested out that "Other side of the tracks" USA saying once. You literally went from white picket fences straight into the ghetto.

As some one who relies heavily on our NHS I can safely say it's the most wonderful organisation in the world bar none. My 'team' are amazing and I could not be without their help. That's the sort of thing that sets the UK apart. For example, mate of mine has Asperger's (USA). Because of that he suffers with anxiety really badly so needs to take Citalopram. However, because of his condition no one will insure him, so he can't get the help or the meds he needs. And this is very common in the USA apparently and "Obamacare" sucks poo filled orifices.

Now I know alot of you fit and healthy young scamps on this forum don't need to lean on healthcare but what if you did? what if you needed 24/7 care like I do?

It's not like I don't speak from experience. BTW? you don't have to live in bad places in the UK. There are ways out. I got out of London....

There are things that irk me about the UK. The town next to me has been referred to as "Little Poland" and whilst I don't mind them one bit (and even make sure I go to the Polish deli for their smoked meats and pickles) they do have bad habits. Like setting huge fires on the beach making them look like ass.

But I can live with that.

The NHS is great, and I've been on anxiety meds for the last seven years. That doesn't make visiting other countries on holiday for a week a chore that has to be filled with shitting on the floor and eating food you don't like. I like living in the UK. I like the NHS. This has no bearing at all on me having fun in Vegas, or visiting champagne houses and golf courses in France.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 8:43 
Excellent Member

One of the couples we are friends with from our NCT course have just lost their 2nd baby :(

Very early days I don't think they had reached 3 months although they told us all early

We have a private Facebook page for organising events etc and they posted on there

I've typed about 4 replies then deleted them as I just don't know what to say

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 9:02 
Decapodian

asfish wrote:
I've typed about 4 replies then deleted them as I just don't know what to say

I think that would be just fine as it is, and lets them know you care.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 10:55 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

That's terrible. I can only imagine what they're going through.

My youngest had an operation yesterday to remove a lump from her eyebrow. She's absolutely fine but it was a pretty hard day all in all.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 12:47 
Excellent Member

I know exactly what they're going through and I still don't know what to say to another person
so that's what I say

the vision, that must be so hard, good that it all went well!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 12:49 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

miki wrote:
I know exactly what they're going through

:'(

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 7:22 
Excellent Member

Grim... wrote:
miki wrote:
I know exactly what they're going through

:'(
:luv:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:26 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

My 2 year fixed term contract comes to an end on 1st October. I knew it was coming but it's still a bit of a bummer... Guess I'm back on to looking for a job then.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:34 
Awesome
Yes

TheVision wrote:
My 2 year fixed term contract comes to an end on 1st October. I knew it was coming but it's still a bit of a bummer... Guess I'm back on to looking for a job then.

Stick your CV on a recruitment site. You'll get offers coming out of your ears.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:34 
Gogmagog

Mr Russell wrote:
TheVision wrote:

Stick your CV on a recruitment site. You'll get offers coming out of your ears.

Yes, this.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 12:01 
Excellent Member

House at the bottom of my garden was sold 3 months ago. Its a big plot that was a total jungle as the old guy who lived there couldn't keep on top of it anymore

New owner is some builder who told me he plans to live in it, after a week of conversations about me removing some trees on the boundary I would check my calendar if he told me it was Friday.

He is clearing the site this week

He wanted me to use his cowboy tree guys whose idea of safe tree removal is to tie a rope around the top of a 40ft tree and pull it in in the vague direction you want it to land with a digger whilst cutting the bottom with a chain saw.

I said no and will be paying 50% more than these guys offered to do it for. They started off with a price 50% more! The killer was when I asked them for their liability insurance and they just gave me excuses. All along he has being trying to make some money out of me using his people, and its so obvious.

Then he started lighting fires, the fucking things were burning 24\7, so an guy 2 doors down called the environmental health, he used to run this for the council so thankfully somebody went out quickly yesterday after 4 days of smoke and shit. The inspector caught them burning plastic and told them to put it out.

I get home 5 hours later fire still going so had EH out again and they shut his fires down. They are now all over him, today his is getting rid of rubbish with skips and they are there waiting to issue him with fines if he doesn't do it right.

Thankfully no sign of any fires today and I've just cut off contact with the prick, when it comes to getting trees down later next month access from his property will help, so I will just call him and tell him they are going on there and see if he objects.

Or I might just leave them as they are on my boundaries and its down to me to deal with them

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 20:42 

I'm not sure if anyone has got any advice on this, but it's one of those problems where heads are butting against brick walls.

A while ago my mother's husband (I guess that makes him my step dad, which I have never really thought of before...) collapsed at work. He has a very physical job (he's a bin man, actually...) and is one of the operators at the rear of the lorry, so involves quite a bit of lifting, etc.

Anyway, after a spell in hospital and angiograms, etc they say his heart and all other things are healthy and he can return to work after a chat with his GP. Work are waiting for his return but will only schedule his return to work plan once they have his fit note.

And that's the problem: His GP, after three attempts, has said that fit notes do not exist and is adamant that they have not existed since 2003. He has called the surgery and spoken to both receptionist and manager who have given the same sentiment. Now, I know this is not true myself as I had one on my return to work after all the issues I had in the early pregnancy stages. Thinking there might be some kind of misunderstanding in the communication (though they are actually called 'fit notes') I advised him to return to the GP and ask for a sick note but with the recommendation for return to work details filled in. The doctor will not issue one saying that is not how they work, stating that obviously if the sick note has come to and end he must obviously be fit to return to work. He is due to go back on Wednesday, which is the day that his sick note comes to and end, but his work will not plan his return to work strategy until he can give them this fit note with doctors recommendations...

Short of registering with a new doctor, which will take weeks, I have run out of things to advise other than 'print these pages out from the NHS website and take them to your GP', but I have a feeling that this will still achieve nothing.

Any ideas, folks?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 8:19 

Tell him to call occupational health at work. They should at least be able to advise.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 8:41 
Hello Hello Hello

Certainly over here the way it works is when your sick note expires, you either go back to work or get a new sick note - there's no such thing as a 'fit note' that I'm aware of.

Oh hang on, I have just done some RESEARCH and Gov.UK has a document about the fit note here:

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... n-2015.pdf

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 10:11 

I'm not quite sure where you're based, Hearthly, but as far as I am aware in England at least the 'fit note' has replaced the sick note, which is why I had wondered if it was a communications issue whereby the doctors surgery hadn't realised that they were called 'fit notes'.

Regardless of the name, however, the problem is that the doctor will not issue one with the return to work recommendation part filled in, which basically says the patient is deemed well enough to return to work and could benefit from x y and z (if applicable). Like my mother's partner, my workplace INSISTED on a fit note to structure support do I wasn't fainting all over the place, and wouldn't have put my return to work in place without one. I've told him to ask for a sick note with the 'return to work' evaluation bit filled in but they won't give him anything, saying if it has expired he is obviously fine to work (which makes no sense: I was off for 8 or 10 weeks and had three doctors notes in that time, where I had to go back in, have all my tests etc and they re-evaluated how I was doing. I wasn't fine to go back to work just because the first note had expired.)

Shall do as Mark has suggested and see if he can get someone from his workplace to contact doctors directly to state the need, otherwise can only think to call local health authority and see what they say.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 12:16 
Decapodian

Yep, the important bit of the current policy is "Your doctor cannot give you a fit note stating that you are ‘fit for work’. "

What the patient/employee could do is provide written consent for the employer to speak to the doctor and request the relevant medical history, which ought to get them the information that they need.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 14:33 

That's a really good idea: thank you Dr (Zoidberg) :)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 21:12 
UltraMod

My current sick note states that I do not need to see a doctor to be 'signed on' again. Once my period of sickness elapses I can just go back.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 21:24 
Filthy Junkie Bitch

Yep, Ali didn't have a fit for work thing either, the renewals just ran out.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 22:07 
SavyGamer

Drank too much and am gonna be hungover tomorrow :(

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 22:11 

Future Warrior wrote:
My current sick note states that I do not need to see a doctor to be 'signed on' again. Once my period of sickness elapses I can just go back.

His doesn't state that, and his work place insist on it. Mine did too, due to the nature of what was making me ill, so I guess it is employer and role specific.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 22:14 
Hello Hello Hello

LewieP wrote:
Drank too much and am gonna be hungover tomorrow :(

10pm on a Sunday? Respect!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 22:37 
SavyGamer

Not in local time (Cambodia).

Also met a HOT Brazilian girl but it didn't work out sadface.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 22:40 
Hello Hello Hello

LewieP wrote:
Not in local time (Cambodia).

Also met a HOT Brazilian girl but it didn't work out sadface.

Respect therefore withdrawn.

Sorry, I don't make the rules.

You should get extra points for just staying alive though, isn't Cambodia one of those cocaine warzones?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 22:47 
SavyGamer

I'm doing my best but haven't managed to engage in actual warfare so far.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 23:33 
Sleepyhead

LewieP wrote:
I'm doing my best but haven't managed to engage in actual warfare so far.

Try harder.

ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
Don't really

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 8:33 
Ticket to Ride World Champion

Note, he didn't say he hadn't engaged in cocaine.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:12 
Excellent Member

At my work when people are off sick for a long time especially with mental health like stress, HR get an occupational health company to call them and "help" them back to work

Just thinly guised stuff to try and push people back, if somebody comes back then that's it unless the health company\doctor has made recommendations then HR will look at those, but not heard of a fit note before I read this.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:18 
Decapodian

Fit and Sick notes are basically the same thing, just with a glass half full / half empty spin on things.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:36 

Dr Zoidberg wrote:
Fit and Sick notes are basically the same thing, just with a glass half full / half empty spin on things.

They are actually exactly the same form, I believe. As far as I have seen they actually re-named the sick note the 'fit note', but the important thing in this case is that it is the section that deals with the return to work recommendation that is needed in this case.

If you look here, you will see sections 3 and 4 of the fit note (Which is properly called 'Statement of fitness for work, for social security or statutory sickness pay':

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... jan-15.pdf

The example document is on page 10. Section three basically gives whether the patient is fit to return to work or still requires time off. section 4 is a recommendation on what action of return to work that patient can benefit from, including details of anything that your condition might affect.

I do understand that some people have returned to work without needing to have this part filled in, and just gone back when it expired, but that isn't the case for all workplaces and is probably role dependant. I needed one because mine was in regards to problems with my pregnancy and I kept collapsing they had to take serious note of whether I was able to go back to work without endangering myself or the baby. My first doctors note was only for two weeks: If I had just gone back when that elapsed then god knows where I would be now, because I got much worse, as the big scar on my head goes to show... I had to be reassessed many times until my body started to react how it was supposed to and my blood pressure and all other things normalised - then I was given a return to work plan on the fit note with monitoring by my midwife.

I can fully understand why my mother's partner's workplace now require one of him. He was taken into hospital for two weeks with suspected heart attack and stroke. He works doing a physical job as a bin man: it makes sense to say 'hey, let's have some word from your doctor on whether you are OK to go back to work and if there is anything we can do to support you in this' rather than, 'well, your most recent sick note has expired, you must be fine' which would perhaps be somewhat neglectful on their part. It's a council based job, and so I guess they are very likely to have quite inflexible guidelines about that kind of thing - unfortunately trying to impress this upon the doctor at his surgery does not seem to be getting him very far. He is there now, waiting to be seen, so fingers crossed.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 10:41 
Gogmagog

It is only with the death of Potts that i have realised I am Reginald Perrin.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 10:50 
8-Bit Champion
Two heads are better than one

MaliA wrote:

In what circumstances do you see a hippo ?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 11:08 
Filthy Junkie Bitch

zaphod79 wrote:
MaliA wrote:

In what circumstances do you see a hippo ?

There's a hippo directly in my Line of vision, as it goes.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 11:31 

He took in a print out of the document unlinked to, ringing the sections needed filling in and they have finally issued the fit note! Light duties, no more than 5 hours a day, no heavy lifting, re-assessment in four weeks. Am relieved for them both as work wouldn't let him back until he had one, so was a worry about his job.

Reply to topic  [ 7441 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94 ... 149  Next