Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 7441 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94 ... 149  Next
 Post subject: Re: The 'NAY!' Thread
PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 10:11 

I'm not quite sure where you're based, Hearthly, but as far as I am aware in England at least the 'fit note' has replaced the sick note, which is why I had wondered if it was a communications issue whereby the doctors surgery hadn't realised that they were called 'fit notes'.

Regardless of the name, however, the problem is that the doctor will not issue one with the return to work recommendation part filled in, which basically says the patient is deemed well enough to return to work and could benefit from x y and z (if applicable). Like my mother's partner, my workplace INSISTED on a fit note to structure support do I wasn't fainting all over the place, and wouldn't have put my return to work in place without one. I've told him to ask for a sick note with the 'return to work' evaluation bit filled in but they won't give him anything, saying if it has expired he is obviously fine to work (which makes no sense: I was off for 8 or 10 weeks and had three doctors notes in that time, where I had to go back in, have all my tests etc and they re-evaluated how I was doing. I wasn't fine to go back to work just because the first note had expired.)

Shall do as Mark has suggested and see if he can get someone from his workplace to contact doctors directly to state the need, otherwise can only think to call local health authority and see what they say.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 12:16 
Decapodian

Yep, the important bit of the current policy is "Your doctor cannot give you a fit note stating that you are ‘fit for work’. "

What the patient/employee could do is provide written consent for the employer to speak to the doctor and request the relevant medical history, which ought to get them the information that they need.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 14:33 

That's a really good idea: thank you Dr (Zoidberg) :)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 21:12 
UltraMod

My current sick note states that I do not need to see a doctor to be 'signed on' again. Once my period of sickness elapses I can just go back.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 21:24 
Filthy Junkie Bitch

Yep, Ali didn't have a fit for work thing either, the renewals just ran out.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 22:07 
SavyGamer

Drank too much and am gonna be hungover tomorrow :(

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 22:11 

Future Warrior wrote:
My current sick note states that I do not need to see a doctor to be 'signed on' again. Once my period of sickness elapses I can just go back.

His doesn't state that, and his work place insist on it. Mine did too, due to the nature of what was making me ill, so I guess it is employer and role specific.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 22:14 
Hello Hello Hello

LewieP wrote:
Drank too much and am gonna be hungover tomorrow :(

10pm on a Sunday? Respect!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 22:37 
SavyGamer

Not in local time (Cambodia).

Also met a HOT Brazilian girl but it didn't work out sadface.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 22:40 
Hello Hello Hello

LewieP wrote:
Not in local time (Cambodia).

Also met a HOT Brazilian girl but it didn't work out sadface.

Respect therefore withdrawn.

Sorry, I don't make the rules.

You should get extra points for just staying alive though, isn't Cambodia one of those cocaine warzones?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 22:47 
SavyGamer

I'm doing my best but haven't managed to engage in actual warfare so far.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 23:33 
Sleepyhead

LewieP wrote:
I'm doing my best but haven't managed to engage in actual warfare so far.

Try harder.

ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
Don't really

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 8:33 
Ticket to Ride World Champion

Note, he didn't say he hadn't engaged in cocaine.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:12 
Excellent Member

At my work when people are off sick for a long time especially with mental health like stress, HR get an occupational health company to call them and "help" them back to work

Just thinly guised stuff to try and push people back, if somebody comes back then that's it unless the health company\doctor has made recommendations then HR will look at those, but not heard of a fit note before I read this.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:18 
Decapodian

Fit and Sick notes are basically the same thing, just with a glass half full / half empty spin on things.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:36 

Dr Zoidberg wrote:
Fit and Sick notes are basically the same thing, just with a glass half full / half empty spin on things.

They are actually exactly the same form, I believe. As far as I have seen they actually re-named the sick note the 'fit note', but the important thing in this case is that it is the section that deals with the return to work recommendation that is needed in this case.

If you look here, you will see sections 3 and 4 of the fit note (Which is properly called 'Statement of fitness for work, for social security or statutory sickness pay':

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... jan-15.pdf

The example document is on page 10. Section three basically gives whether the patient is fit to return to work or still requires time off. section 4 is a recommendation on what action of return to work that patient can benefit from, including details of anything that your condition might affect.

I do understand that some people have returned to work without needing to have this part filled in, and just gone back when it expired, but that isn't the case for all workplaces and is probably role dependant. I needed one because mine was in regards to problems with my pregnancy and I kept collapsing they had to take serious note of whether I was able to go back to work without endangering myself or the baby. My first doctors note was only for two weeks: If I had just gone back when that elapsed then god knows where I would be now, because I got much worse, as the big scar on my head goes to show... I had to be reassessed many times until my body started to react how it was supposed to and my blood pressure and all other things normalised - then I was given a return to work plan on the fit note with monitoring by my midwife.

I can fully understand why my mother's partner's workplace now require one of him. He was taken into hospital for two weeks with suspected heart attack and stroke. He works doing a physical job as a bin man: it makes sense to say 'hey, let's have some word from your doctor on whether you are OK to go back to work and if there is anything we can do to support you in this' rather than, 'well, your most recent sick note has expired, you must be fine' which would perhaps be somewhat neglectful on their part. It's a council based job, and so I guess they are very likely to have quite inflexible guidelines about that kind of thing - unfortunately trying to impress this upon the doctor at his surgery does not seem to be getting him very far. He is there now, waiting to be seen, so fingers crossed.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 10:41 
Gogmagog

It is only with the death of Potts that i have realised I am Reginald Perrin.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 10:50 
8-Bit Champion
Two heads are better than one

MaliA wrote:

In what circumstances do you see a hippo ?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 11:08 
Filthy Junkie Bitch

zaphod79 wrote:
MaliA wrote:

In what circumstances do you see a hippo ?

There's a hippo directly in my Line of vision, as it goes.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 11:31 

He took in a print out of the document unlinked to, ringing the sections needed filling in and they have finally issued the fit note! Light duties, no more than 5 hours a day, no heavy lifting, re-assessment in four weeks. Am relieved for them both as work wouldn't let him back until he had one, so was a worry about his job.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 11:41 
Decapodian

Excellent. I suspect most councils are paying a *lot* more attention to whether their bin men have any medical conditions, given what's come out at the inquest into the Glasgow bin lorry crash.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 12:45 
sneering elitist

Feeling utterly overwhelmed this morning :(

Combination of summer holidays (less time because kids) plus time off for holiday plus illness recently means my schedule is all to cock, and I've got clients chasing and fuck all cashflow because stuff isn't getting finished fast enough.

Spending all my spare time working means I'm not eating right or working out which is making me feel fat and frumpy (and shit food == no energy)

And because I feel blah I'm sat here moaning instead of getting off my arse and sorting it.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 13:04 

It sounds like Gazchap needs to step up in the creation of some wholesome meals.

Here's hoping that you find the right balance between rest and working through any backlog of workload quickly x

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 13:14 
sneering elitist

Mimi wrote:
It sounds like Gazchap needs to step up in the creation of some wholesome meals.

Here's hoping that you find the right balance between rest and working through any backlog of workload quickly x

Gaz is as equally over-loaded with work as me at the minute :S

Thanks Mimi :luv:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 13:40 
Esoteric

Jem wrote:

Yeah let me join the line. My uncle is already in a cancer battle and after a huge op they deduced he still has cancerous cells.

Then two days ago Mrs JC found a lump in her breast and the doctor thinks it could be bad, so she's got to go to the hospital within the next few days.

I feel so overwhelmed and angry that I went on a rampage and smashed a few things. Wish I could say it made me feel better but it hasn't, because cancer is a CUNT illness and there's no respite from the stress it brings.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 13:41 
sneering elitist

JohnCoffey wrote:
Jem wrote:

Yeah let me join the line. My uncle is already in a cancer battle and after a huge op they deduced he still has cancerous cells.

Then two days ago Mrs JC found a lump in her breast and the doctor thinks it could be bad, so she's got to go to the hospital within the next few days.

I feel so overwhelmed and angry that I went on a rampage and smashed a few things. Wish I could say it made me feel better but it hasn't, because cancer is a CUNT illness and there's no respite from the stress it brings.

Sorry to hear that dude :(

(Now I just feel like a dick for moaning about work when clearly things could be much worse.)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 13:44 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Best wishes to your Uncle and missus, JC

Hope you manage to take the pressure off a bit and settle down into a less punishing routine, Jem.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 14:12 
Esoteric

Jem wrote:
JohnCoffey wrote:
Jem wrote:

Sorry to hear that dude :(

(Now I just feel like a dick for moaning about work when clearly things could be much worse.)

Every one has a limit Jem so don't feel bad for venting, because after all it helps.

Like a prat I thought that running around the flat smashing things and punching walls would make me feel better. It usually would, but when I was done huffing and puffing and screaming and shouting all of the stuff I did it for was still there.

About three years ago I almost boasted that thankfully (touch wood) no one close to me had ever had cancer. Some one up there figured they ought to teach me a lesson I guess, because within six months one of my uncles died of Asbestosis and then my other uncle has prostate cancer. And now my wife could have it too.

I'm hopeful that she probably doesn't but honestly I wish I'd kept my big fucking mouth shut now. This really is the most evil of illnesses.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 15:39 
Master of dodgy spelling....

JC I hope Mrs Jc is ok, fingers crossed.

Hope it sorts out Jem, you can always pop round for a brew..

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 9:07 
Excellent Member

JohnCoffey, I hope you start getting good news, best wishes for your wife and uncle

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 9:17 

Really sorry to hear that Andy, and I hope all is OK with the missus.

Si/Cavey :hug:

Dr Lave wrote:
Of course, he's normally wrong but interestingly wrong :p

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 10:04 
sneering elitist

Cras wrote:
Hope you manage to take the pressure off a bit and settle down into a less punishing routine, Jem.

KovacsC wrote:
Hope it sorts out Jem, you can always pop round for a brew..

Cheers both :kiss:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:37 
Ready for action

JC I hope everything is ok with your wife.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 12:43 
Esoteric

Thanks guys :luv:

We're waiting for an appointment from the hospital for a scan. For the last few days I've really been feeling like shit. Helpless, angry. Man, I've not been this angry since my dad died. But today things are looking a bit brighter and I feel much stronger. My uncle will need radio or chemo they're not sure which just yet but yeah, cancer really is like torture mentally for the poor sod on the receiving end and every one around them who feels completely hopeless.

I will keep you all updated, but I'm just praying right now it's something less sinister :)

The good part? well it has made me realise just how much I love Mrs JC and how utterly fucked I would be without her. So it's time for me to appreciate her like I should and not take her for granted.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 12:49 
Gogmagog

Good man. Keep it up, JC.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 12:52 
Gogmagog

Dr Zoidberg wrote:
Excellent. I suspect most councils are paying a *lot* more attention to whether their bin men have any medical conditions, given what's come out at the inquest into the Glasgow bin lorry crash.

As an aside:

At first I was very sympathetic towards the driver. As facts came out, I was less so. On one level, he was less than honest to get a job, on another it was terrible to not say anything knowing now what the result was. I am conflicted

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 12:59 

He apparently reapplied for his HGV license four months after the crash. That's just taking the piss.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 13:02 
Unpossible!

markg wrote:
He apparently reapplied for his HGV license four months after the crash. That's just taking the piss.

Probably advised to by law-talkers. If he didn't might demonstrate some measure of guilt?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 13:05 

Best wishes JC.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 17:52 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

I've received a speeding fine today. Pah!

I can not have the points if I go on the speed awareness course but that will cost me £80. Rubbish.

If i take this route, do I need to let my insurers know?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 17:58 

TheVision wrote:

I can not have the points if I go on the speed awareness course but that will cost me £80. Rubbish.

I think the fixed penalty fine is more or less the same as the course fee (but the latter without any penalty points which will cost you for the next 5 years on insurance and you must tell them about points), so it's a bit of a no-brainer. Except you have to waste 4 hours of your life watching shit videos of 80s Nissans with no ABS and crap brakes, with the guy telling you this is still relevant in respect of stopping distances of today's cars. Etc. (I very nearly got thrown off my course after pointing this out, and then responding to the claim of fantastic "magic" motorways as being nothing more than a cynical tax collection exercise and putting in the required infrastructure for future road-billing by stealth, didn't exactly go down well)

Not sure if you have to tell insurers if you've been on a speed awareness course; my (possibly incorrect) understanding is that you only have to tell them if they actually ask you the question (as opposed to having a specific duty to inform them, irrespective)

Dr Lave wrote:
Of course, he's normally wrong but interestingly wrong :p

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 18:53 
UltraMod

TheVision wrote:

My advice is don't get caught. HTH

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 19:45 
Decapodian

I wouldn't volunteer the information now, but it's very likely you'll be asked at renewal/new quote time if you've done a speed awareness course - it's getting to be a standard question with the inevitable bump in premiums.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 20:16 
Bad Girl

TheVision wrote:

The answer to the question is: maybe.

You have to check your terms and conditions to see whether you need to declare this.

When I had to take the speed awareness course I couldn't be bothered so, y'know, stuff.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 0:12 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

I can't recall ever being asked when renewing. Different companies do different things, I guess.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 12:25 
Rude Belittler

*Goes to 4 day live roleplaying event, dislocates knee one hour in.*

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 12:45 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Oh shit!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 12:46 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Did you get hit by an arrow?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 12:56 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

:D :D :D

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 13:04 
Rude Belittler

Nah. trod on something, (I think someone elses foot, but anyway.. ) just put my weight on it, when leg was at awkward angle, knee just popped.

Hey, got off my tits on the old gas and air, and everyone was brilliant. Paramedic popped it back in, I'm mobile, so just a little (read: very) sore and fucking gutted.

Reply to topic  [ 7441 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94 ... 149  Next