Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 7450 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95 ... 149  Next
 Post subject: Re: The 'NAY!' Thread
PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 13:25 
Bad Girl

Is it me playing Rocket League?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 13:26 
Noob as of 6/8/10

Call the filth. No one wants an intruder in their house shouting 'FUCK OFF' at regular intervals. Are you sure it isn't a family member?

I'm going to have to stop shouting that in my van if we get dash-cams. I'll just have to stick to lip-syncing to 'Shake It Off' instead.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 13:29 
UltraMod

Unless a family member has unbeknownst to me bought the flat below I severely doubt it.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 13:33 
Noob as of 6/8/10

Why not try shouting, 'No, YOU fuck off,' in response, and see what happens?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 14:03 

When I lived in my flat, going back a few years now, the guy in the flat directly above mine could often be heard shouting obscenities and making general grunting sounds.

To begin with I thought it was some particularly animalistic sex that he was having, but after a few months of these occasional outbursts I finally managed to get a bit of context when he shouted a load of obscenities followed by something like "You jammy fuck, how did you score from there?" and I realised he was just playing FIFA '10 or whatever year it was, with his mates.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 14:46 
UltraMod

This guy JUST shouts "FUCK OFF" though. Nothing more, nothing less. No variation. It's mildly unsettling.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 14:59 
Excellent Member

Future Warrior wrote:
This guy JUST shouts "FUCK OFF" though. Nothing more, nothing less. No variation. It's mildly unsettling.

My mate has a flat and there's someone downstairs with really bad OCD, she would start off saying "One, two, three. Off. Four..." or some such and then get progressively louder and louder until she was shouting it at the top of her voice.

This would go on for a few hours, every night, from about 10pm. It wasn't so bad for him because he lived a couple of floors up from her and could only hear it when the windows were open. He recorded it one night because he had no idea what it was and thought it was weird.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 12:08 
Esoteric

Wow.

So at 7:30 this morning we got one of 'those' phone calls. Well we sort of didn't, because we ignored the phone. Then my wife's mobile rang so we knew it was something serious (only four or five people have that number).

It seems my wife's father passed away at 4am this morning from a heart attack.

Last week my wife kept saying how she wanted to call him as she hadn't heard from him in a few months. Sadly she never made that call.

What makes me nay the most though is apparently her father posted on Facebook about the first of his heart attacks and how he had to have a op.

So basically every one knew about it apart from his own daughter. Not sure how to feel about that tbh? I kinda feel like it's a bit of a kick in the teeth.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 12:39 
Excellent Member

Depends; when I wasn't on Facebook I missed a lot of stuff from friends because it's so ubiquitous everyone just forgets that a few people can't see content on there. There was nothing malicious in it, just common or garden thoughtlessness. Obviously it's still crap if people don't make sure to tell you important stuff, and this is a level of critical way about me missing the odd night out, but if it's not done intentionally it's probably not worth getting too worked up about it.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 12:54 
Esoteric

Bamba wrote:
Depends; when I wasn't on Facebook I missed a lot of stuff from friends because it's so ubiquitous everyone just forgets that a few people can't see content on there. There was nothing malicious in it, just common or garden thoughtlessness. Obviously it's still crap if people don't make sure to tell you important stuff, and this is a level of critical way about me missing the odd night out, but if it's not done intentionally it's probably not worth getting too worked up about it.

Well my wife's family are very distant. They hardly ever see each other, all preferring to do their own thing. Not like my family at all really, so I don't really get it. He hardly ever saw his grand children and didn't seem too bothered about it, was happy just to kick along with his second wife and do his own thing.

Thing is, if you knew there was a very high chance you were about to die then surely you would contact your children? maybe even to say goodbye? Apparently he had two heart attacks last week and had to have a operation to open an artery.

Seems a bit selfish.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 14:54 

Bamba wrote:
Depends; when I wasn't on Facebook I missed a lot of stuff from friends because it's so ubiquitous everyone just forgets that a few people can't see content on there. There was nothing malicious in it, just common or garden thoughtlessness.
I don't think it's thoughtlessness. Actually, I think it's a wee bit entitled to make the conscious decision not to be on Facebook then expect your friends to go to the effort to individually send you their updates. Not for actually important matters -- for important stuff you can't rely on FB anyway because of the vagaries of its algorithm -- but for general updates, day to day stuff, baby pictures and witticisms, sure. And that stuff is actually fairly important in aggregate.

If you choose not to have a Facebook, you're going to miss out on a lot of ambient chatter from and between your friends. C'est la vie.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 15:29 
Prince of Fops

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:

If you choose not to have a Facebook, you're going to miss out on a lot of ambient chatter from and between your friends. C'est la vie.

I was sure the song didn't go like that.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 15:36 
Excellent Member

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Bamba wrote:
Depends; when I wasn't on Facebook I missed a lot of stuff from friends because it's so ubiquitous everyone just forgets that a few people can't see content on there. There was nothing malicious in it, just common or garden thoughtlessness.
I don't think it's thoughtlessness. Actually, I think it's a wee bit entitled to make the conscious decision not to be on Facebook then expect your friends to go to the effort to individually send you their updates. Not for actually important matters -- for important stuff you can't rely on FB anyway because of the vagaries of its algorithm -- but for general updates, day to day stuff, baby pictures and witticisms, sure. And that stuff is actually fairly important in aggregate.

Ambient chatter I was happy to miss out on but I specifically meant stuff like nights out and gigs that were sometimes arranged and I wasn't included. In this day and age there are a metric fuckton of ways to contact people so to demand that someone use a specific private website or you won't make arrangements with them would be entitled to me. I realise I wasn't too specific in my original post but, also, you've jumped to a massive conclusion there that I was demanding some kind of private feed of everything in their lives sent to me.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 19:39 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

I think that if you don't use the tool that everyone uses to organise events, then you shouldn't be too surprised if things happen and you don't know about it.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 19:58 
Excellent Member

Maybe. Maybe not. I'm not really interested in getting into it though.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 20:33 
INFINITE POWAH

I'm with Bamba here.

I'm on Facebook, but don't spend all fucking day on it like a lot of people, so if some shit's going on I would email friends and they'd email me.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 20:34 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Thst's because you're a crusty old Luddite.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 20:46 
Hibernating Druid

I don't do Facebook.

My wife tells me all about what's happening with everyone I don't give a fuck about.

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 20:46 
INFINITE POWAH

No, it's because I actually work, rather than sit around playing with my phone.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 20:48 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Mr Kissyfur wrote:
No, it's because I actually work, rather than sit around playing with my phone.

8)

What are you going on about?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 21:01 
INFINITE POWAH

On Facebook, I mean. All fucking day, like half the people on Facebook.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 21:06 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

/glances at Mr Chris's post count

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 21:11 
Filthy Junkie Bitch

I've largely trashed Facebook. I miss things but overall I'm happier with the world.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 22:26 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

Zardoz wrote:
I don't do Facebook.

My wife tells me all about what's happening with everyone I don't give a fuck about.

:this:

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 22:35 

Zardoz wrote:

I had a cunning plan for avoiding that: I don't FB friend people I don't give a fuck about. Works pretty well.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 22:38 
INFINITE POWAH

Ha, yeah. Well, the per day count dropped off a while ago.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 23:56 
Hibernating Druid

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Zardoz wrote:

I had a cunning plan for avoiding that: I don't FB friend people I don't give a fuck about. Works pretty well.

Pretty well isn't good enough.

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 6:27 

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Zardoz wrote:

You never accepted a friend request mostly out of politeness?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 10:16 

I sometimes accept them out of politeness, but then if I don't find that they post anything that interests me I put them on mute. I also set my posts to often post only to particular people (work, friends, family, etc).

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 10:52 

I haven't accepted requests out of politeness for many years. I do have a corpus of people I don't care about, from years ago, but they are all muted. The less people you have in your stream, the less fucking about the algorithm will be doing.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 11:51 
Decapodian

Originally I accepted a bunch of semi-randoms that just happened to be on forums I used, but now I'll only add or accept people I'd be happy to meet and socialize with IRL (though geography means that some I probably never will), and I find I'm getting much more proactive in binning anyone I don't want.

Anyone who posts Britain First pictures goes, as does anyone posting "hilarious" borderline racist comments about refugees or other thoroughly unpleasant stuff. I don't mind a difference of opinion, and have had some interesting discussions on there, but I have no time for copy & paste stupidity.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 12:59 
Esoteric

Well my wife spoke to her step mother and apparently after the first heart attack they fitted a stem? stim? Something like that and then gave him the complete all clear.

Apparently his Facebook post was along the lines of "thought it was heart burn, turns out I had a heart attack".

But yeah, apparently after they cleared the artery he was given the all clear and didn't know he was going to die so it's a little easier to live with.

Won't be rejoining Facebook any time soon though. After Mrs JC's lump and my uncle's recent scrap with cancer we've decided to go all old school and actually visit relatives and loved ones in person and weekly rather than sharing our lives with the internet.

It always made me laugh how people would post 'in progress' pics of their holidays, then wonder why they'd been burgled when they got home.

Serious, close your Facebook and see how many people actually give a fuck. If you can count them on more than one hand I'd be amazed.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 14:06 
Excellent Member

JohnCoffey wrote:
It always made me laugh how people would post 'in progress' pics of their holidays, then wonder why they'd been burgled when they got home.

That's what they get for being Facebook friends with burglars, which is what would have to be the case for this to make any sense at all.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 15:50 

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
The less people you have in your stream

Fewer.

Ahahahaha! (Myp, I do hope I am doing this correctly)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 16:01 

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
I haven't accepted requests out of politeness for many years. I do have a corpus of people I don't care about, from years ago, but they are all muted. The less people you have in your stream, the less fucking about the algorithm will be doing.

You've got more than twice the number of people added as I do, though. I don't feel bad about not accepting friend requests from people that bore me. I turned down requests from my sister and cousins, but there are some people I like that mostly talk about Rice Crispies or whatever, so I add them in case I want an easy way to get in touch in the future but don't care about their breakfast to read about it seven times a day.

Also: minions.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 16:03 

What is the fascination with those? People will post any old crap if you stick a blinking minion on it.

Do not understand.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 16:22 
Unpossible!

It won't last. My kids are bored of minions, so the childlike will be soon

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 8:31 
UltraMod

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 9:34 
Excellent Member

My birthday today and have a really shitty chest\flu bug.

So took the day off as I didn't want to pass it around work.

Stuck at home with son who can't believe his luck as dad is around on a Monday but he has no concept of "dad is ill leave him alone"

He also chose today to demonstrate he can climb the stairs unaided.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 9:50 
UltraMod

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
I haven't accepted requests out of politeness for many years

Glad I got in on the ground floor.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 9:56 

My basic rules are - I'll accept a friend request from anyone that I've met in real life. If I've not met them, I have to have spoken with them online in some manner (forums etc.)

However, anyone posting anything unpleasant - racist remarks, homophobic remarks, sharing anything from Britain First or the like, and even people that fall for those "Apple have 1000 iPads they have to give away because they can't sell them" things - instant removal.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 10:20 

GazChap wrote:
My basic rules are - I'll accept a friend request from anyone that I've met in real life. If I've not met them, I have to have spoken with them online in some manner (forums etc.)

Very much this. I do occasionally purge people by looking down the list and if nothing comes to mind about them pressing 'unfriend'.

Quote:
However, anyone posting anything unpleasant - racist remarks, homophobic remarks, sharing anything from Britain First or the like, and even people that fall for those "Apple have 1000 iPads they have to give away because they can't sell them" things - instant removal.

If keeping the contact might be useful, I just unfollow them. I'm always surprised by who 'likes' various posts as most are intended for certain circles.
I've never had cause to block people, but a handful of people are unfollowed as I don't want to see references in comments to people who have blocked me.

(Probably not a Nay thread subject?).

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 10:25 

asfish wrote:
My birthday today and have a really shitty chest\flu bug.

Being ill on your birthday sucks. Hope you get better soon.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 13:42 
Esoteric

GazChap wrote:

I did that, and was quite surprised at how many dumb people I knew.

In the end though I just closed it down. Way less aggro.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 21:22 
Bad Girl

Saturnalian wrote:
l and now my parents dog has terminal liver cancer. The cancer is 10cm and apparently there was more cancer than liver on the ultrasound. If anyone sees me on Twitter/Instagram you might have guessed I dote on my doggies and this is my dog's dad. It's heartbreaking to watch this cute dog that you've spent 12 years fussing and loving just waste away as the cancer eats at him.

It's been a strange old day today. The Gooch's dad, Jezzy was put down today. He was 12 years old and I met him when he was just 2 months old. He'd been suffering from liver cancer. The vet wanted to put him down almost 6 months ago but the family said no and he lasted another 6 months. I saw this morning when I dropped the Gooch off at the folks. He'd had another bad night apparently and as he was "end stage liver failure" he'd started having coughing fits. Mum was rubbing his chest and I went and gave him a fuss and he licked my nose like he always does. His eyes seemed bright even though his body was grossly swollen from ascitis. Then I got the call from my dad at about lunch: they'd had him put down. Jezzy had a coughing fit earlier and couldn't get his breath so they took him to the vet and decided to have him put down. He'd had 5 months of pain. My dad told me he'd brought his body home to see the other dogs so they knew what had happened and he was just going to the doggy crematorium with the body. He started to cry so he put the phone down.

I was a bit angry at first because I didn't have the chance to say goodbye to him. I could have asked to see the body before my dad took him but decided against it. I don't know why. But later I realised that the decision to put him down would probably have been made quickly at the vet so I don't blame the folks for not letting me say goodbye. My dad told me later he held him in his arms at the vets as he passed away and his body just went limp at that moment he slipped away. I've had lots of mixed emotions today, not really having lost anyone before, but I've seen Jezzy almost every day of his life.

I can't imagine what my dad was going through today. He's obviously had a cry but to carry around Jezzy's body - he must have a steel will. It makes you wonder what dads do and how they cope. I don't have any children of my own but, by Christ, dads must do some rough things. Mum's too of course. I'm just thinking about what my dad has done over the years. Me and brother's bullshit, the pets he's lost and buried. Salute to him.

Weirdly I've been pondering whether to put up a Facebook post for an hour or so. What purpose would it serve? To do it for a bit of sympathy. Would it be seen like that and is that the reason? I decided in the end that I would do it but not for anyone else but as a marker in a digital diary. I might look back on the crap I've written at some point in the future and remember that I miss Jezzy, I loved him and he was a great little dog and thank him every day for The Gooch.

When I walked out the door this morning I said "See you later Jezzy. See you later." I never did.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 21:29 
Gogmagog

Really sorry to hear that.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 21:58 
8-Bit Champion
Two heads are better than one

Sorry Saturnalian :-(

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 22:14 
Bad Girl

That's ok. Just wanted to vent for a minute.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 22:29 
Sleepyhead

*virtual hug*

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 23:00 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

That's really sad. I'm really sorry for your loss.

You're right about dads though. When I think about all the stuff that my dad has done for me and my brother. Immense.

Reply to topic  [ 7450 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95 ... 149  Next