Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 230 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: American Civil War Miscellany Thread
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 0:08 

Looks pretty neat from the video, and the buildings look eerily familiar too.

Course, shame there's no option to head straight to O'Rourkes for a pint or have a cheesecake at the Lincoln diner, but that would ruin that atmosphere I guess. :)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:03 
Excellent Member

Just got the latest National Geographic through the letterbox - there is a whole lot of stuff on the Civil War, with an article on reenactments.

Book me in the Face | Tweet me. Tweet me like a British nanny.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:09 

Plissken wrote:
Just got the latest National Geographic through the letterbox - there is a whole lot of stuff on the Civil War, with an article on reenactments.

Sounds cool - will keep an eye out for it.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:47 

NervousPete wrote:
I've just been playing Gettysburg: Scourge of War again. It's great!

Just been playing around with the demo and having my regiment march, wheel, then double quick, then lie down, then double quick at the oblique, before deploying as skirmishes. I know now why one of my corporals is so fond of the double quick when he takes us out for drill - might as well make the men run for their money. I think our wheelings are neater than the CPUs, however.

Also, I'm pretty sure this game could teach me the proper bugle calls...sorely tempted to get the whole thing.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 14:51 
Participant in dramatic games

just thought of you as well Kern, when receiving the nince civil war map with my dutch national geographic

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 17:04 
Honey Boo Boo

Sacrilicious! Gettysburg: Armored Warfare asks what if time travelling racists supplied the Confederates with near-future weaponry?

Tanks, hand-held gatling guns and airships clash!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 17:19 

Blimey.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 0:23 

Whilst I think of it, over the bank holiday weekend I'll be at the Fortress Wales multi-period event at Caldlicot Castle, Momouthshire. Details about the event here.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 10:29 
Gogmagog

Viking loves a nurse

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 10:34 
Hibernating Druid

Kern wrote:
Firstly, choose your period. I do American Civil War because I have a great interest in the period.

Been meaning to ask you what first got you into the whole thing, Kern? From an outside perspective it seems unnuasual for an English guy to be so enthralled with this period of American history. Do you have relatives from over there or is it something that just broadsided you?

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 10:37 

MaliA wrote:

Heh.

I'm taking part in a guard of a honour for a re-enacting friend's wedding next month. Means I'll have to clean the 'mud from near Shiloh' off my uniform and get those brasses shiny. But, perhaps the bridesmaids will find me irresistible...

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 10:53 

Zardoz wrote:
Kern wrote:
Firstly, choose your period. I do American Civil War because I have a great interest in the period.

Been meaning to ask you what first got you into the whole thing, Kern? From an outside perspective it seems unnuasual for an English guy to be so enthralled with this period of American history. Do you have relatives from over there or is it something that just broadsided you?

The latter, although I think I got into it by a very indirect route. Other than a trip to Fort Sumter when I was 9 (so it didn't mean anything to me), I remember years back writing a paper as an undergraduate in which I argued that federal systems were the best way to organise a diverse society. My tutor listened, then with one question destroyed my argument:

'Explain the American Civil War then'

I think I read James McPherson's 'Battle Cry of Freedom' shortly after, but at the time I was paying more attention to the chapters detailing the politics of the period rather than the war stuff. Didn't think much more about it for a few more years, but one day in late 2006 I was going through a bookshop making notes on which books looked interesting enough to add to my Christmas list. I've always had an interest in contemporary US politics, and the blurb for Tony Horwitz's 'Confederates in the Attic' describing his quest to understand what the war meant to the South today got my interest. I idly added it to the list, and my parents picked it out to get to me for Christmas. I then read it in one or two sittings. After that, I found myself reading more and more books on it and browsing various websites, before eventually deciding to combine a hiking trip to the Shenandoah (photos) with some battlefield visits.

After that trip, I joined a lecture group (the American Civil War Roundtable) so I could get to hear talks on the subject. At the time, I thought re-enacting was a bit of a strange way to spend one's time. But, come 2008 I realised that I was not doing much at the weekends, and whilst I had always thought about going back to being a Scout leader, decided I might as well give re-enacting a go instead. It's got the camping and social side I liked about Scouts, but with muskets. And beer.

Now, and I always stress this whenever I'm talking to the public at events, Britain was extremely tied up in the war. We know of around 60,000 English, Welsh, and Scotsmen who took part in it, as well as over 100,000 of our Irish cousins. We sold guns, ammo, and equipment to both sides, built and manned Confederate ships, and came very close to getting involved in it ourselves. And due to the South's ban on cotton exports, people in Lancashire starved due to the war.

The more I learn about the period, the more fascinated I become. There's just so many interesting subjects to choose from: from big political issues like how slavery had almost torn the country to pieces so many times in the past or the violent and bloody mess that Missouri and other border states turned into, to, say, the change in military tactics and how warfare was conducted. Or just a great cast of characters, from Lincoln's amazing political skills and laid-back nature, to the witty and vivid memoirs of Private Sam Watkins (Co H, 1st TN, CSA).

I just wish I had discovered the period and the issues when I went to graduate school, rather than afterwards. Oh well...

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 11:02 
Hibernating Druid

TL;DR

ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
;) Thanks Kern. Strange isn't it what pass times grab us? Thank fuck I don't waste my time with footy.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 13:03 
Isn't that lovely?

Kern wrote:
Plissken wrote:

Sounds cool - will keep an eye out for it.

That's what I meant to link to before, when I linked to the photo stuff!

Malc

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 20:15 

Radio 3 are currently broadcasting a live performance of Copland's 'Lincoln Portrait'. Admittedly, it's not one of my favourite Copland works, lacking, I think, the way he captures the Shenandoah perfectly in 'Appalachian Spring', the excitement of a rodeo in, er, 'Rodeo', or the majesty of the ordinary in 'Fanfare for the Common Man', but after three fun days re-enacting (including an unofficial 1860s BeeXmeet) it feels apt.

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 21:24 
Excellent Member

Missed this so am now listening to the Henry Fonda Lincoln Portrait. I love Copland, top five composers for me. I'll never forget the bit in Alaistair Cooke's TV series 'America' where the camera swoops over the bread-basket of America with all the combine harvesters at work in golden light to Copland.

Hope you didn't all get flooded out over there and managed to shift sticks okay. Did old man Mississippi rise any higher? Soon as I got back I had that long soak and then felt utterly exhausted. One weekend of non-stop photography has really taken it out of me! And cheers again for the tent loan!

Yes folks, I was there with Kern as we tumbled back in time to the 1860's. He stayed there, but I was jostled around a bit further to the 1930's and 40's, the Wild West and Medieval World. Later we were stalked by a malfunctioning Yul Bryner, but that's another story. Full report some time later.

Bored? Why not look at some pretty pictures on my photography blog? Here: http://petetakespictures.com

Come & See My Flickery Pics Here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/nervouspete/

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 22:08 
Excellent Member

As a taster, here's two photos. I broke my promise to myself in swearing I wouldn't look at them for a while to come. I just couldn't resist cracking the camera open and taking a peek inside, and these are the two that leapt out at me.

Lady of the Union

Thinking of Home

Wish they all had such gorgeous light! But it looks like I've walked away with at least a dozen 'greats' of the Union and Confederacy. Out of 900 I took, cough.

Bored? Why not look at some pretty pictures on my photography blog? Here: http://petetakespictures.com

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 15:40 
Excellent Member

Thinking about this colour style and grit for the latest battlefield shots, what think you Kern?

Union Fallen

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 15:48 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

I really like everything except the white vignette, which I think is a little too severe at the bottom corners.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 16:07 
UltraMod

While I was at the cinema yesterday I saw a poster for Abraham Lincoln, Vampire Hunter. Oh dear.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 16:49 

NervousPete wrote:
Thinking about this colour style and grit for the latest battlefield shots, what think you Kern?

Great shot. I think I agree with Craster though - unless it's smoke the white on the corners is a bit distracting.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 16:53 

myp wrote:
While I was at the cinema yesterday I saw a poster for Abraham Lincoln, Vampire Hunter. Oh dear.

I'm quite tempted to see it, just because I know it's going to be cringe-worthingly awful.

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 10:11 

Apparently, the National Geographic Channel in the US broadcast a documentary the other day called 'Extreme Civil War Re-enactors'. If it ever gets shown over here, could someone let me know as I don't have satellite? Parts of it were filmed at last year's Gettysburg with the group I was with, and I'd really rather like to spot myself my friends on the telly.

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 10:26 
Worst

Kern wrote:
myp wrote:

I'm quite tempted to see it, just because I know it's going to be cringe-worthingly awful.

Mary Elizabeth Winstead is in it, so I have pretty much bought my ticket already.

Post subject: Re: Hardtack & Coffee
PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 11:10 
Excellent Member

Just idly collating the ACW pics into this thread:

I'm slowly drifting towards a style but I won't be sure for a long whiles yet. This one involved heavy vignetting and darkened greens. I'll be getting the new Lightroom 4 this month, so we'll see how that makes a difference.

I'll keep my peepers peeled for the Nat Geo doc, Kern. Oh, new book in the library, "The American Civil War: A House Divided", it's all about public, social, spiritual and political life during the period. Might be interesting.

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 11:18 
Bad Girl

Tried as she might, she couldn't get that stain out the linen.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 19:00 

For those in the area and looking for something to do on Sunday, I'm taking part in the Potter's Bar Carnival (sparse details here). We're taking part in the parade and then performing a small skirmish in the arena around 3ish I think. Not a big event (although after 150th Shiloh nothing is!) but it was a fun day out the last time we took part in it.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 23:01 
Gogmagog

Pound, please.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:13 

The carnival was good fun. Few things are as pleasingly surreal as parading through an English town in full 19th Century US uniform under arms, although as I know from two years' back marching on tarmac in brogans is quite hard on the feet.

Despite the small turnout (no more than 30 US and CS altogether) and the small arena, the public enjoyed our skirmish and as ever it was fun talking to them and showing the rifles etc. I might have inadvertently convinced a four-year old before the battle that we would be live firing (oops!). Better work on fitting my patter to the audience, I think :)

Next event is 7/8 July at RAF Hendon, if anyone's around.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 17:03 

I'll be at RAF Hendon (link above) this weekend, if the anachronistic appeal of musketry and flying machines is your idea of a fun day out.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 12:59 

My pards are, I'm not. Feeling crap so in the invalid corps dosing on medicinal whiskey. Meh.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 14:49 
Excellent Member

Kern wrote:
My pards are, I'm not. Feeling crap so in the invalid corps dosing on medicinal whiskey. Meh.

Boo. Hope you're feeling better soon and haven't got typhoid or dysentry through over-zealous camp-life reenacting! :hug:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 22:38 

And, with that sense of inevitability that's been hanging over the hobby since the start of the 150th cycle of commemorative re-enactments began, it was announced today that there will be two large-scale Gettysburg events next year, albeit one neighbouring weekends. The choice was easier for 150th Shiloh, of course, as the other event was generally considered a farby rebfest with added mullets. This time, it's between the group that organises the annual event, and those who did Shiloh and one or two other ones.

I think I'm going to get some popcorn, watch the arguments, and see where the US groups I'm involved with are heading. Probably possible to make both in the time I'll have, but at the cost of foregoing a lot of other stuff. And by the end of it, given the expected heat my uniform would be authentically rancid.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:23 
Gogmagog

Quote:

Pound, please.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 22:05 

Got back from an evening stroll and decided to put on a CD. Flicking on the stereo, which as always starts in radio mode, I heard ACW music followed by a Southern accent reading a soldier's letter. Turns out Radio 3 are repeating their excellent series on the American Civil War today, tomorrow, and on Thursday after each day's Prom. Details and listen again linky here. Highly recommended.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 16:12 

Universal rules of re-enacting - part 136 in the ongoing series:

Whenever a re-enactor is called upon to give a firing demonstration in front of a crowd, the first shot will always, without fail, misfire

Of course, the subsequent double charge is always that much more impressive...

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 17:27 

For those after a fun day out over the August bank holiday, I'll be with my pards at the huge multi-period event at the Kent County Showground, Detling, Kent.

All being well, at least one other Beexer will be there too, so come along for the closest you'll get to time travel in southern England. Phonebox optional.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 21:02 

The history carnival continues this weekend at the Broadlands Estate, Romsey, Hampshire, for the annual (if slightly unfortunately titled) 'You're History' multi-period event. Details here, and they've even included a timetable of the attractions (here).

My troop, the 18th Missouri, always do a Missouri guerrilla war display with our friends in the hardcore American Eagles Society at this event, to show just how nasty the war out in the west was. Also if you visit the Wyoming Wild Bunch always put on a good show.

It's a fun multi-period if you fancy coming along.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 21:45 
Excellent Member

Oh dear, I'm tempted again. Does everyone have to intone 'You're History' in an Arnie manner? Will you be there?

I've still got my mate's tent so if there ain't one available I can use that.

Oh, and proper Lincoln movie!

God, I hope it's got the same lightness of touch and lyrical quality that the source material, Mary Godwin's masterful 'Team of Rivals', has. Please don't be TOO Oscar baiting!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 21:46 
UltraMod

Kern wrote:
The history carnival continues this weekend at the Broadlands Estate, Romsey, Hampshire, for the annual (if slightly unfortunately titled) 'You're History' multi-period event. Details here, and they've even included a timetable of the attractions (here).

My troop, the 18th Missouri, always do a Missouri guerrilla war display with our friends in the hardcore American Eagles Society at this event, to show just how nasty the war out in the west was. Also if you visit the Wyoming Wild Bunch always put on a good show.

It's a fun multi-period if you fancy coming along.

In a bizarre case of serendipity, we shall be visiting the Beaulieu museum this weekend. If I can convince my parents, we'll try to pop along.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 22:16 

NervousPete wrote:
Oh dear, I'm tempted again. Does everyone have to intone 'You're History' in an Arnie manner? Will you be there?

Yep, I can pack the A-frame for you if you decide to come.

Quote:

God, I hope it's got the same lightness of touch and lyrical quality that the source material, Mary Godwin's masterful 'Team of Rivals', has. Please don't be TOO Oscar baiting!

'Team of Rivals' is essential reading for anyone interested in political leadership and statecraft. It really draws out the great man's exceptional skills at managing his cabinet, other politicos, and public opinion at large. A truly fantastic work.

As for the film, Day-Lewis certainly looks the part - I'm quietly looking forward to it.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 22:19 

The Last Salmon Man wrote:
In a bizarre case of serendipity, we shall be visiting the Beaulieu museum this weekend. If I can convince my parents, we'll try to pop along.

Ace!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 22:24 
Excellent Member

Kern wrote:
NervousPete wrote:

Yep, I can pack the A-frame for you if you decide to come.

Corking, reckon I'll be there, then. I'll bring whiskey. Cheers!

Though it does mean having to stomach another pre-battle commentary from that woman. :facepalm:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 22:46 
Honey Boo Boo

NervousPete wrote:
Oh, and proper Lincoln movie!

What are you talking about? There's already been two!

One

Two

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:57 

NervousPete wrote:
Though it does mean having to stomach another pre-battle commentary from that woman. :facepalm:

In the past the event organiser himself has given an excellent and informed commentary, free of Lost Cause bullshit. I'm hoping he does it again this year.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 13:38 
UltraMod

We'll be coming down on the Sunday. Hope to see you there!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 14:29 

Huzzah!
I'll save some hardtack for you. The Union camps should be easy to find.

It'd be great to finally have an event with no rain this season. There was even a downpour at 150th ('Pea Ridge' - ed. ).

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 14:57 
Hibernating Druid

I keep reading this thread title as Hardcastle and McCormick.

That is all.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 15:08 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIMAfwJSfKw

:metul:

Mike Post did some ace theme tunes.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 19:41 

BBC: UK American Civil War tribute hope

Yes, that would be awesome. I've been in ACWRT for over five years now - they're an excellent and very informed bunch.

As for memorials, I still get a thrill when I go to London and see the giant statue of Lincoln towering over Parliament Square (and guarding our Supreme Court).

Reply to topic  [ 230 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next