And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 221 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Pet Hates & Irritations
PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 15:02 
Excellent Member

Grim... wrote:
Alarm wrote:
I mentally work out how much it will cost, and usually have the money ready to hand over (the exact amount, if possible).

People that make me wait while they count out the exact change for their shopping, then the cashier does the same thing, rather than using a credit card like everyone else ;)

I count it out whilst in the queue. ;)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 15:15 

Cpt_Droman wrote:
People who don't acknowledge that I have held a door open for them.

United States of THIS.

Also, every cyclist in Liverpool. For whatever reason they always ride on the pavement, the busier the better, even if the road is mostly empty.

And fucking CUNTS who drive along the outside when there's a roadworks queue thing. And the fucks who let them in.

Also a pet hate. Lybian rebels who shoot bullets indiscriminantly up in the air when celebrating.

Oh and people who want a coffee when I'm making a massive tea round at work.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 15:20 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Blucey wrote:
And fucking CUNTS who drive along the outside when there's a roadworks queue thing. And the fucks who let them in.

No, no, no, no, no, no, no. Everyone should use both lanes to queue, then filter in turn. Leaving an empty stretch of road is pointless, and adds to congestion further back.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 15:29 
ugvm'er at heart...

Grim... wrote:
Blucey wrote:

No, no, no, no, no, no, no. Everyone should use both lanes to queue, then filter in turn. Leaving an empty stretch of road is pointless, and adds to congestion further back.

:this:

merge in turn people, merge in turn, zip zip zip!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 15:29 
ugvm'er at heart...

Alarm wrote:
Another supermarket one: why do many women wait right up until the cashier says how much the total is, then they look confused or panic, and only then do they get the money out?

FTFY

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 15:32 
Hibernating Druid

Cpt_Droman wrote:
People who don't acknowledge that I have held a door open for them.

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 15:33 

Grim... wrote:
Blucey wrote:
Shorter queues ≠ less time queuing. If you get everyone in one lane early the traffic will keep flowing at a steady rate because you don't need to brake every time some cunt forces his way in.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 15:37 
Excellent Member

Trooper wrote:
Alarm wrote:
Another supermarket one: why do many women wait right up until the cashier says how much the total is, then they look confused or panic, and only then do they get the money out?

FTFY

Heh, you're pretty much correct there!

I have been served in a supermarket when the cashier was chatting to her colleague on the next till. She only spoke and looked at me once, when she had to tell me of the total cost. A pretty impressive feat, if you think about it. ;)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 15:40 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Wullie wrote:
Grim... wrote:
Blucey wrote:
Shorter queues ≠ less time queuing.

When a longer one would go back across a sliproad they do.
I know that ideally people would all get into the same lane with 1/2 a mile to go and then it would be perfect and traffic would flow nicely, but as soon as people stop it makes sense to use up all the space you've got.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 15:43 
ugvm'er at heart...

Wullie wrote:
Grim... wrote:
Blucey wrote:
Shorter queues ≠ less time queuing. If you get everyone in one lane early the traffic will keep flowing at a steady rate because you don't need to brake every time some cunt forces his way in.

You only have to brake, because some cunts aren't letting the zip merger into the queue, so causing ripple braking.
Merging has to happen at some point, where it happens doesn't matter in terms of the flow, it does matter in terms of not blocking exits further down the queue though. If you merge early, you spend more time at a slower speed and use up more road length.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 15:45 
Unpossible!

You're never going to solve this one.

It's like people overtaking on single carriageway country roads. Some people just can't understand why going 50 in a 60 zone is so annoying.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 15:49 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

DavPaz wrote:

It's like people overtaking on single carriageway country roads. Some people just can't understand why going 60 in a 60 zone is so annoying.

FTFM

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 15:54 
ugvm'er at heart...

Grim... wrote:
DavPaz wrote:

It's like people overtaking on single carriageway country roads. Some people just can't understand why going 60 in a 60 zone is so annoying.

FTFM

:D Along with the "70mph in whatever lane I choose" brigade on the motorway.
I've stopped giving them the benefit of the doubt these days and just undertake when safe, rather than flashing or indicating. If you sit a safe distance back they will never move over, regardless.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 15:58 
Unpossible!

Trooper wrote:
I've stopped giving them the benefit of the doubt these days and just undertake when safe, rather than flashing or indicating. If you sit a safe distance back they will never move over, regardless.

Undertaking is ridiculously dangerous. People don't check their passenger side when pulling in. Please stop it.

Fuckers who dawdle in the middle lane in any lane, get out of the way!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 16:02 
Excellent Member

Grim... wrote:
DavPaz wrote:

FTFM

Grim... please come and play on our 'national speed limit applies' roads. As our national speed limit is, erm, 'as fast as your car can go?' so it can be pretty fun. It is on the back of a bike, anyway. Almost wobbles you head off!

Miserable old people annoy me too. I have more respect and patience for the eldery thanI have for the rest of the generalpublic but some of them really are bitter old bastards. And they're only going get more annoying as the excuse 'I fought in the war for you' starts drying up. Piss off you grumpy old twat, I work 40hrs a week to pay your pension and every fucker elses and there'll be fuck all provision for me when I qualify for a state pension amounting to £15.40, aged 76.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 16:03 
Unpossible!

Another one! People who dawdle at 60, you got to overtake them and they fucking speed up!

WTF is that all about? In the old 1,2 Polo, that was a right ballache.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 16:16 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

DavPaz wrote:
Undertaking is ridiculously dangerous. People don't check their passenger side when pulling in. Please stop it.

Yes mum.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 16:17 
Unpossible!

Grim... wrote:
DavPaz wrote:

Yes mum.

Good. Now, tidy your room.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 16:21 
ugvm'er at heart...

DavPaz wrote:

You presuppose that people check any mirrors when on the motorway, my experience is that they don't.

Undertaking isn't "ridiculously" dangerous, it's no more dangerous than any another motorway activity, if done with care and attention to surroundings. I don't just do it in a carefree manner, as my post alluded to, it's generally done in two specific cases.

1) rush hour traffic, where everyone is sitting in lane 3, with nary a car in sight in the first two lanes.
2) empty motorways, where someone is sitting in lane 3. I don't bother to come out of lane 1, I just zoom past...

Trooper's motorway driving rules:
Treat every other driver as if they are idiots, regardless of what they do or look like they are doing.
Leave enough room around yourself and other drivers so that if they do anything crazy, you have time to act.
Make sure any movement you make is well indicated and done with precision and decision.
Don't dawdle.
Be aware of what is beside and behind you, just as much as in front.

Whether you are overtaking, pootling along, or deciding to undertake an idiot. Treat everyone like the fools they are :) I've come close to having an accident twice on the motorway in my driving life, both times were people attempting to pull out into lane 3 without looking, while I was overtaking...

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 16:27 
Unpossible!

Trooper wrote:
You presuppose that people check any mirrors when on the motorway, my experience is that they don't.

I presuppose nothing. You can't prove it.

Quote:
Trooper's motorway driving rules:
Treat every other driver as if they are idiots, regardless of what they do or look like they are doing.
Leave enough room around yourself and other drivers so that if they do anything crazy, you have time to act.
Make sure any movement you make is well indicated and done with precision and decision.
Don't dawdle.
Be aware of what is beside and behind you, just as much as in front.

Pretty much the same rules I live by.

I would also add: Just because you're in a hurry, doesn't mean you can be a cunt. Stop tailgating, you arse.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 16:32 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Grim...'s Motorway driving rules:
Just because you're about to crash you don't have to wake Mr Dave.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 16:38 
Sitting balls-back folder

DavPaz wrote:
I am, right now.

The Highway Code, which every licenced driver reads at least once every year because they agreed to as a term and/or condition of holding a licence, says to merge at the point of congestion, because it minimises the length of the tailback. Holding any other opinion is not the best sort of correct.

That doesn't mean that people who blast up to the roadworks at 90 then shove their way in without indicating aren't cunts - I wander along at "above queueing speed", and do expect to be let in at the end. I also do get mardy when half a dozen people behave like fucking idiot children by cramming inches apart to prevent me merging.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 16:41 
Soopah red DS

Trooper wrote:
Grim... wrote:
Blucey wrote:

merge in turn people, merge in turn, zip zip zip!

That's New Zealand. I agree it's a good standard to have, but we don't have it, so whipping down the outside is just jumping the queue of people who are waiting, and making them wait longer. If you're there before a queue forms then yes, by going down the outside you're creating a zip, otherwise no.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 16:43 
ugvm'er at heart...

BikNorton wrote:
I also do get mardy when half a dozen people behave like fucking idiot children by cramming inches apart to prevent me merging.

My approach to this used to be "my car is cheaper than yours, and I don't care about it. Your move" However these days I care about my car too much to make my presence felt as much as I would like. It has certainly changed the way I drive around that London.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 16:43 
Soopah red DS

BikNorton wrote:
DavPaz wrote:
I am, right now.

The Highway Code, which every licenced driver reads at least once every year because they agreed to as a term and/or condition of holding a licence, says to merge at the point of congestion, because it minimises the length of the tailback. Holding any other opinion is not the best sort of correct.

That doesn't mean that people who blast up to the roadworks at 90 then shove their way in without indicating aren't cunts - I wander along at "above queueing speed", do expect to be let in at the end. I also do get mardy when half a dozen people behave like fucking idiot children by cramming inches apart to prevent me merging.

Ah, that's fair enough then. Also the idea of not whizzing down the outside, just going faster than the queue. Fair enough, that is fixed, then.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 16:45 
Awesome
Yes

The people who got there first shouldn't have been so stupid as to only go down the left hand side, and instead started their own zipping.

See also theme park ride queues. Get zipping down that empty lane. Managed to go on Thunder Mountain in Euro Disney (as it was then) about eight times in a row using this method, each time whizzing past the same people still queuing down the one side. Eventually one of the attendants came and opened a bit of the barrier half way down to force people down both entrances.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 16:59 
Excellent Member

I can't believe I'm the first to post this one...

Text speak. There is absolutely no reason whatsoever to use numbers instead of letters or abbreviation - even mobile phones these days have adaptive and auto correct voodoo, in fact on my phone it would be far far more effort to use text speak. It is especially annoying in world of warcraft trade channel.

shoppers in meadowhall piss me off no end, they all look so fucking miserable all the time. Come on guys cheer up you just bought lots of shiney new things not a bag of dog shit.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 17:16 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

BikNorton wrote:

Then there's a problem, because illuminated signs on motorways tell you to get merging long before the point of congestion.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 17:18 
baron of techno

I think those are actually warning you that a lane is closing ahead, which will be coming up quite soon if you're doing 70 on an empty road.

I have seen "merge in turn" signs occasionally, but as Bik says, it should be automatic behaviour.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 17:25 
Awesome
Yes

Craster wrote:
BikNorton wrote:

Then there's a problem, because illuminated signs on motorways tell you to get merging long before the point of congestion.

Are we legally allowed to take anything you say about motorways authoritatively?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 17:27 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

You should always take everything I say authoritatively.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 17:28 
Excellent Painter

Craster wrote:

What about the shit you write in here?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 17:30 
Awesome
Yes

DBSnappa wrote:
Craster wrote:

What about the shit you write in here?

What about the way you can't even get on the motorway without crashing?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 17:33 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

I take both of your comments on board, and stand by my statement.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 17:34 
Awesome
Yes

Craster wrote:
I take both of your comments on board, and stand by my smashed car.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 17:41 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

STAAAND BY MY CAAAAAAAR.....

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 17:43 
Awesome
Yes

Craster wrote:
STAAAND BY MY CAAAAAAAR.....

For some reason I can only place this in my head up against the song as AAAAAAAAAALLLLL BYYYYY MYYYYSEEEEEEEEEEELF

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 18:26 
Gogmagog

DavPaz wrote:
Trooper wrote:

Fuckers who dawdle in the middle lane in any lane, get out of the way!

I undertake loads. And merge in with cones shutting that lane.

And, it was meant to be rail card not tailgate, earlier.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 18:50 
Excellent Member

Oakwell Hall:

Hello, we are the caretakers of this lovely old building dating back to the 17th century with beautiful warped wood, old four poster beds, pewter goblets and period furniture and furnishings bedecking the dozen and a half rooms that make this carefully preserved manor which is blessed by the most delicate light that falls as if cast by the brush of Vermeer himself.

No photography please.

Also please excuse the IKEA lamps we have in the corner of every room and the security sensors, warning signs and radiators we've installed everywhere carefully destroying any sense of delightful timeslip you may otherwise have enjoyed, and further destroying any photo you may wish to take on the sly. Thank you.

>:(

Bored? Why not look at some pretty pictures on my photography blog? Here: http://petetakespictures.com

Come & See My Flickery Pics Here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/nervouspete/

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 18:54 
Rude Belittler

People who ride horses on the road. One tried for bus assisted suicide this morning. She won't be the last.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 19:05 
Peculiar, yet lovely

Blacks, poors, and gays.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 19:12 
Gogmagog

Generally, the reason for not being allowed to take photos in places like that is so thieves can't build up a catalogue of stuff available to interested collectors.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 19:13 
Peculiar, yet lovely

MaliA wrote:
Generally, the reason for not being allowed to take photos in places like that is so thieves can't build up a catalogue of stuff available to interested collectors.

Also, you are then less likely to pay for postcards etc. , and relatedly, there's nothing to stop journalists/publishers taking their own pictures instead of paying to use yours.

Some places go for the middle ground of making you pay for a photo permit, typically at an absurdly expensive rate. I used to work at a place where this happened, and I would turn a blind eye wherever possible, because the permits were extortionate and most people only take a couple of crappy snaps anyway. Harmless.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 19:14 
Excellent Member

Couldn't they hire a guy with a crossbow to patrol the rooms, instead?

Also, shut up you lot. Really wanted a photo of those olde leather shoes by the four-poster. :(

Bored? Why not look at some pretty pictures on my photography blog? Here: http://petetakespictures.com

Come & See My Flickery Pics Here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/nervouspete/

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 19:19 
Gogmagog

NervousPete wrote:
Couldn't they hire a guy with a crossbow to patrol the rooms, instead?

Also, shut up you lot. Really wanted a photo of those olde leather shoes by the four-poster. :(

An ex of mine, can't recall her name, nice girl, glasses, taught me loads about architecture, I think she's married now, was the custodian of an NT place. So, she was alone in this centuries old house every night after locking up. She used to dread the alarms going off. So, in some ways, yes. In other ways, no.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 20:04 
Full of plumptiousness

Ray Winstone.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 20:15 
Comfortably Dumb

Grim... wrote:
Alarm wrote:
I mentally work out how much it will cost, and usually have the money ready to hand over (the exact amount, if possible).

People that make me wait while they count out the exact change for their shopping, then the cashier does the same thing, rather than using a credit card like everyone else ;)

I can't be doing with either. I'll make sure I have some notes on me before I go in. You'd think paying on card might be quicker, but I seem to get stuck behind the ditherers who take an age to find their card and deliberate over entering their PIN.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 20:26 
Peculiar, yet lovely

devilman wrote:
Grim... wrote:
Alarm wrote:

I can't be doing with either. I'll make sure I have some notes on me before I go in. You'd think paying on card might be quicker, but I seem to get stuck behind the ditherers who take an age to find their card and deliberate over entering their PIN.

I used to count to the pound as I shopped, but I've got much better at estimating as I've always shopped by the basket, so you're never more than a fiver off at the most. Hence, I always carry about what I think it costs, plus an extra note in case. Quick and easy, often more so than using a card.

You do have to have it ready before you get to the till, though. There's really no excuse in a supermarket.

Of all the things on this list, the one that I hate most is doorway loitering and pavement/stairway blocking. It seems that the larger a public space is, the greater the likelihood that some witless dickheads will be pointlessly occupying the one spot that absolutely everyone in the vicinity needs to pass through.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 21:46 
Unpossible!

I have a very specific one: Students sitting in corridors.

Students tend to sit outside rooms when waiting for lectures or for the room to empty from the previous session. They sprawl, legs extended down the length of a narrow hall and I have to hop over and between them, usually dragging a flight case or some other bulky item whilst they make a token effort to shift out of the way.

Grr.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 21:48 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Decca wrote:
There is absolutely no reason whatsoever to use numbers instead of letters or abbreviation - even mobile phones these days have adaptive and auto correct voodoo, in fact on my phone it would be far far more effort to use text speak.

Not everyone has your phone though - it came about to save time and money. Android folk can get a thingy that expands the message for you automatically :)

Reply to topic  [ 221 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next