Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 221 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Pet Hates & Irritations
PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 19:01 
Bad Girl

I do, because I drive like somebody's elderly grandma, but other drivers may not be so considerate. The people who do this are putting themselves in harms way unnecessarily and need to have more respect for the inherent dangers of standing in the road like this. This isn't just something that I've experience once - it's every single day I'm seeing this and people need to remember that they are putting themselves at significant risk.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 19:20 

Are many people injured like that?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 19:37 
Bad Girl

Probably.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 21:31 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Someone should stand up for their rights of they get hurt.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 0:05 
Soopah red DS

Ooh, I've one that seems similar to Sat's, in a 'judgement of space cock-up' way. People who are behind slower walkers, coming in the opposite direction, but you're walking the other way, in the only space. They wait to overtake, then start to move out when next to you, so either brushing past or making you lunge away, rather than waiting the extra second and being able to move out after you've gone past. Idiotic. And bizarre.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 11:33 
UltraMod

Oh I do have a pet hate! Drivers who don't understand how part-time bus lanes work, and queue up in the outside lane even when there's no one parked in the bus lanes. So I drive up the inside and get evils, and also people who try to turn left into side roads FROM THE OUTSIDE LANE. Wow, what idiots.

There's quite a few around my way so this happens all the time.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 11:36 
Gogmagog

Future Warrior wrote:
Oh I do have a pet hate! Drivers who don't understand how part-time bus lanes work, and queue up in the outside lane even when there's no one parked in the bus lanes. So I drive up the inside and get evils, and also people who try to turn left into side roads FROM THE OUTSIDE LANE. Wow, what idiots.

There's quite a few around my way so this happens all the time.

Also:

2 lanes into one where there is a merge 8n turn. And if you pop down the RHS, people who have been queing in the left get shitty.

Most driving in Bradford.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 11:58 

Yeah there's one of those on my way to work, the left lane is queued up all the way from a roundabout past a set of lights and the right lane is mostly empty because nobody wants to feel like they're pushing in.

One time I was in the right hand lane when an ambulance came steaming up behind with its lights on so I had to floor it a bit to get past a car in the left lane to let it past, whereupon the clown I just overtook swerved out to go past me again right into the path of the ambulance who had to slam on to avoid hitting him :facepalm:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 12:05 

In a similar vein, I just cannot stand "overtaking lane dawdlers and hoggers". Every morning I'm sat behind some bellend sat doing 60.1mph in a 70mph dual carriageway (because they're so shit they think the speed limit on a dual carriageway *is* 60mph, including when they slam on at the speed camera every time to reduce their speed to 55mph). I know I shouldn't but I cannot be arsed flashing them, I just undertake every time and ignore the ensuing fury of flashing lights, hand signals or whatever.

It's called an "overtaking lane" for a reason, dicks.

Dr Lave wrote:
Of course, he's normally wrong but interestingly wrong :p

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 12:29 
Excellent Painter

In another similar vein, it's bank or summer holiday drivers on motorways. No lane discipline, tailgating, camping in the middle lane at 70mph when the inside lane is largely clear.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 12:34 

DBSnappa wrote:
In another similar vein, it's bank or summer holiday drivers on motorways. No lane discipline, tailgating, camping in the middle lane at 70mph when the inside lane is largely clear.

Yeah, that's the thing. People seem to think it's "beneath them" or something to go into the slow lane (leftmost lane) when they're the slowest vehicle. Maybe they think because they are close to what they (wrongly in this case) think is the speed limit, you're damn well not going any faster pal etc.? Whatever the psychology of it all, it most certainly gets on my wick.

It's better when I'm on the bike; people seem to shift out of the way though I've no idea why that should be the case for a bike and not a car.

Honestly, this morning it was raining hard, some tit in a new Jag XJ pulled right out on me, then saw the speed camera and promptly locked his brakes (mistakenly thinking the speed limit was much lower than it actually was). He's fine in that bloody great ugly tank of a thing but I'm in a lightweight 2-seater... it's hard to keep your temper on the road sometimes although I'm pleased to say I just briefly flashed him and politely drove on without looking over when he eventually deigned to pull back into his empty lane.

Dr Lave wrote:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 14:39 
sneering elitist

If I listed all my driving pet hates I'd be here all bloody week, but middle lane wankers are definitely up there as one of the worst.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 19:52 
Gogmagog

Low speed bump in the 30mph limit outside lane between a busy roundabout and busy junction? No, Fuck it. Stop in 5he outside lane to have a chat during the middle of rush hour creating another choke point in an already congested area. Never mind the central reservation you could have pulled on to to keep the traffic flowing. Have a chat whilst all the traffic trying to get through the city goes from 3 lanes to 2 to 1 in the space of 35 yards you dicks.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 22:13 

Jem wrote:
If I listed all my driving pet hates I'd be here all bloody week, but middle lane wankers are definitely up there as one of the worst.

That's definitely one step up from people that just drive in the middle lane.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 8:26 
Excellent Member

I go into work at 6am via the back roads, without fail there is always somebody who sticks to 28mph in the 30 zones through villages then sticks to it on the miles of hard to overtake national speed limit roads.

Sometimes I get past, but these days I make sure there are good songs on the memory stick in the car and put up with it, as getting pissed off only leads to bad overtaking and possible car up a tree scenarios.

When I do get to overtake its always somebody around 70 driving so you do thing "what the fuck are you doing on the road a 6am!!!" :D

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 9:05 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Going to work, probably.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 10:03 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Coming back from burying a hooker

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 10:17 

I feel your pain asfish, I get the same round here they are two a penny and often ponder that it only takes one slow driver to hold up scores of others trying to get to work. I wonder how many of them get killed or seriously hurt each year risking overtaking and coming a cropper?

I think doing 30mph on a 50mph speed limit single lane road (in reasonable weather etc. obv.) should attract a driving without due care and attention conviction and 3 points, maybe then these people would pay more attention to knowing speed limits and good road sense.

It's a living in the sticks thing I think; I shudder to think how long they'd last in rush hour London

Dr Lave wrote:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 10:33 
Gogmagog

Average speed in London is 12mph; isn't it?

:)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 14:46 
Soopah red DS

Yeah - maybe the gentle travellers are from London, unable to believe their luck at averaging 25mph for an entire journey. London's just an exercise in moving from one set of lights to the next.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 14:59 

I suppose the one upside of it all is to remind me of the sheer, unalloyed joy of motorcycling (as if any such reminder were needed). Just twist your right hand, ride that reassuring, unstoppable wave of insta-torque and glide effortlessly past the obstruction, smiling as you go, and leaving the hapless queue of car drivers gnashing their teeth in your wake. :)

Bliss... just a shame about the UK's pants weather for about 8 months per year. :(

Dr Lave wrote:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 15:05 
Decapodian

Yep, there's something very satisfying about two wheeled transport through traffic.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 15:08 

Look at this video doing the rounds at the BBC etc., apparently showing some HGV driver bumping and intimidating a middle-lane hogger

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-no ... e-34933345

Whilst I'm appalled at the lorry driver, I'm almost equally appalled that this idiot refused to get out of the middle lane by the looks of that vid, despite the inner lane being utterly deserted? I mean seriously, just how much of an intransigent moron do you have to be to NOT get out of the way of a 38-tonne wagon bearing down on you when you have no business being there?

I hope they BOTH get prosecuted for dangerous driving.

Dr Lave wrote:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 15:09 

Dr Zoidbeard wrote:
Yep, there's something very satisfying about two wheeled transport through traffic.

Looks like the number of wheels is inversely proportional to driver satisfaction - a powered unicycle must be awesome. :D

Dr Lave wrote:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 15:11 
UltraMod

Cavey wrote:
Dr Zoidbeard wrote:

Looks like the number of wheels is inversely proportional to driver satisfaction - a powered unicycle must be awesome. :D

Tank drivers may disagree.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 15:11 
Decapodian

Cavey wrote:
Look at this video doing the rounds at the BBC etc., apparently showing some HGV driver bumping and intimidating a middle-lane hogger

Whilst I'm appalled at the lorry driver, I'm almost equally appalled that this idiot refused to get out of the middle lane by the looks of that vid, despite the inner lane being utterly deserted? I mean seriously, just how much of an intransigent moron do you have to be to NOT get out of the way of a 38-tonne wagon bearing down on you when you have no business being there?

You do have to wonder as well, why he didn't just speed up a bit to get away from the lorry.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 15:13 
Decapodian

Festive Warrior wrote:
Cavey wrote:
Dr Zoidbeard wrote:

As would this guy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4YmVP6i4qw

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 15:14 

Dr Zoidbeard wrote:
Cavey wrote:

You do have to wonder as well, why he didn't just speed up a bit to get away from the lorry.

Yeah agreed, or you know, just pull in? Seriously, what is wrong with these people? Apparently the guy's an ex-copper - so no excuses. Retake your driving test after a lengthy ban, mate, and learn some anger management whilst you're cooling your heels and taking the bus. Dick.

Dr Lave wrote:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 15:16 
UltraMod

People driving in the middle lane is annoying, but not life-threatening in the majority of cases. The lorry driver is in charge of 10 tonnes of metal! He should never be allowed to drive again after that. If driving is his livelihood he shouldn't be getting road rage like that.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 15:17 

Dr Zoidbeard wrote:
Festive Warrior wrote:
Cavey wrote:
Dr Zoidbeard wrote:

As would this guy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4YmVP6i4qw

Eek, guy wearing a T-shirt on a V8 unicycle, with "horrible crash at 2'55''" warning - cannot watch that. I shudder when I see bikers in T-shirts and shorts. :(

Dr Lave wrote:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 15:19 

Cavey wrote:

Quote:
Mr Stockdale, who runs a dashcam company, followed the lorry to a depot in Dunstable where an ambulance took him to hospital with neck and shoulder pain.

Runs a dashcam company, gone to hospital with neck pain despite the fact that the worst damage seems to be some scratched paint. I dunno, it all seems pretty shady to me.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 15:19 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Tanks have no wheels and are therefore infinitely satisfying

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 15:21 
UltraMod

Cap'n Gingerbeard wrote:

They have lots of wheels, fool.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 15:22 

Festive Warrior wrote:
People driving in the middle lane is annoying, but not life-threatening in the majority of cases. The lorry driver is in charge of 10 tonnes of metal! He should never be allowed to drive again after that. If driving is his livelihood he shouldn't be getting road rage like that.

I agree generally but I think it WAS life threatening in this case. I'm making no excuses for the conduct of the lorry driver, it's utterly appalling by the looks, but I'm sorry, this imbecile was going out of his way to provoke him still further (in so doing endangering himself and others IMO, including other road users completely unconnected with their "duel"). I get hassled all the time by dickwads in their shagged Astras, Corsas and reps in their 2.0TDI Passat CC shitboxes all the time but I just get out of their way without even looking over. It's called driving defensively; and besides, seriously, what do I care? The alternative, i.e. winding up someone who is clearly a total arsehole without any further help from me, could easily end nastily and I'd prefer to see my missus and kids again over some streak of piss like that.

Dr Lave wrote:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 15:31 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Festive Warrior wrote:
Cap'n Gingerbeard wrote:

They have turny things, they're so not wheels

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 15:31 

Cap'n Gingerbeard wrote:

Levitating trains must be positively orgasmic to drive. :D

Dr Lave wrote:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 15:34 
UltraMod

Cap'n Gingerbeard wrote:
Festive Warrior wrote:
Cap'n Gingerbeard wrote:

Turny things, right... probably Unitedian Kingdomian-made

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 19:53 

Don't they have caterpillar treads? Essentially like conveyerd gears?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 19:53 

Like, army tanks, right?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 22:12 
Soopah red DS

Yes - but they have wheels inside the tracks, for to push them forwards.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 22:17 
INFINITE POWAH

Cap'n Gingerbeard wrote:
Festive Warrior wrote:
Cap'n Gingerbeard wrote:

The ones that are groundlevel are called "roadwheels", so, yeah.

Reply to topic  [ 221 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next