Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
 Post subject: Go on then Derek, tell us about Gzoop
PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 0:44 
SavyGamer

I'm interested.

Edit: and the other Amazon marketplace stuff.

Post subject: Re: Go on then Derek, tell us about Gzoop
PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:13 
Goth

You expect me to give away all my trade secrets?

Maybe in the morning if I survive my typical all night long anxiety attack.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:42 
Excellent Member

I too, am interested in the marketplace stuff if it isn't too much grief for you.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:25 
Goth

Well with regard to Gzoop, they're a company which doesn't necessarily keep in stock what they have listed, much like Findprice (I think). Especially with games.

Their low prices get sales but then you're frequently waiting weeks for it to turn up and then it comes from Europe.

Their second hand stuff tends not to be so bad, it's just the brand new stuff that is problematic.

As for fulfilled by Amazon, it makes it very difficult to appear as the lowest price on an item because Amazon display things by price + shipping. Shipping price is not included in any reports from them. As such when repricing to appear first on the list you can end up twice the price you should be.

For example a PC game at £3.99 fulfilled by Amazon would appear before one priced at 1.99 and not FBA. So my auto pricing software would put it up to £3.99 (if there's nothing in between) and I'd then have a game priced at around £6.02 in effect (due to shipping being around £2.03 on Amazon right now). It just creates awkward problems and is intended really to get everyone on FBA to earn Amazon even more of a cut. They charge monthly by the amount of storage space you take up.

Unfortunately for second hand dealers such as myself who don't know when something is going to sell and often needs a clean before shipping, I'd be wasting loads of money cleaning stock to sit on shelves at Amazon's warehouse.

Still I get by for the most part.

Another problem associated with selling on Amazon is the feedback/communication situation. Buyers rarely check their emails and Amazon offers no obvious built in communication system. Have you ever spotted the tiny messages link top right of your screen? I bet you haven't. Amazon will only remove feedback when it is a product review or contains personally identifiable information. It doesn't matter if you can prove it to be completely false. They don't care. But hey ho we're all in the same boat there so I guess it's equal.

It's frustrating that some people reach straight for negative feedback without getting in touch.Even though we put in big bold letters on our packing slips to get in touch via email or phone if there's a problem. I've currently dropped from 99% to 98% for a while despite my generally excellent service due to one idiot and one that was admittedly my fault.

I'm sure it doesn't make much difference. As long as you're cheap you make money.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:21 

So, if I'm going to get rid of a couple of dozen games and DVDs soon, where do I see them for best effect?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 12:03 
SavyGamer

I'd have said probably eBay if it's just a one off. Probably worth posting them on here first though.

Or if you don't mind getting paid in Gamestation credit, their pricematch +£1 for trade in deals is generally pretty reasonable when you get them to match CEX.

Edit: Oh, and interesting stuff about Amazon and gzoop. Good to know.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 13:22 
Goth

You'll probably get the most money for something on Amazon and at least it will stop there until it sells. Well for about 3 months anyway. But as a new seller you'll find it hard to get a sale, due to having no feedback.

Amazon's cut initially seems quite large but when you work out what ebay's charges are after listing, final value and paypal it's about the same.

Someone will instantly undercut you on Amazon. Someone like me who does it for a living.

Sometimes ebay can provide better money but if it's a common item, you'll struggle somewhat to get anything.

Due to game postage charge on Amazon, it can be a good place for that. You get £4 if it sells overseas. Should cost less than £2.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 14:18 
Soopah red DS

My experience, being just a bod selling a few things, is a bit different. I went with Amazon because although their fees are high, what I have to sell has generally gone up in value and the ease of description is so great. But that's selling some old games (not for profit), mint condition Lego (usually at least twice what I paid for it, the best was 10x) and a few old gaming peripherals (Resident evil chainsaw controllers, yay).

For all of that, over the last year, it has been great - easy to use, I got paid automatically every two weeks, and almost never had to deal with a load of emails about whatever I was selling. Even when it's a marketplace thing, people either buy or don't, so the only questions I had were "can you list this so it can be bought in Europe?".

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 14:20 
Soopah red DS

Nirejhenge wrote:
You'll probably get the most money for something on Amazon and at least it will stop there until it sells. Well for about 3 months anyway. But as a new seller you'll find it hard to get a sale, due to having no feedback.

Amazon's cut initially seems quite large but when you work out what ebay's charges are after listing, final value and paypal it's about the same.

Someone will instantly undercut you on Amazon. Someone like me who does it for a living.

Sometimes ebay can provide better money but if it's a common item, you'll struggle somewhat to get anything.

Due to game postage charge on Amazon, it can be a good place for that. You get £4 if it sells overseas. Should cost less than £2.

I don't know if this has got slicker, but there were a few oddities for me, and there is some fluctuation, so you can stick to your guns. Conkers: Live and Reloaded went for about £20 when I sold it, then there was a price war and it went for under £10. Just checked and it's back up to £16. So it's worth a look, and so long as you're patient, just list it at a price you're happy to get and wait. You might only be undercut once, and once that's sold, you're in.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 15:50 
Goth

I have around 8000 items listed for sale so I can't really pick and choose what gets knocked down. If I think something special it gets listed as collectible so it doesn't get knocked down in price. I don't do it very often though. Too busy buying things in quantity very cheap and flogging them quick.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 20:03 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
So, if I'm going to get rid of a couple of dozen games and DVDs soon, where do I see them for best effect?

You stick them in a big parcel and send them to:
Grim...
76 Fuck Yeah House
Wikkid Street
Awesome Town
Slough

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 20:24 
UltraMod

Grim... wrote:
Awesome Town
Slough