Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 1600 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22 ... 32  Next
 Post subject: Re: Boardgame Thread: Let's organise a beexordgame night.
PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 9:22 

First non-Pandemic-Legacy gaming session for a long time.

Started with 'Cosmic Encounters'. I loved the stackable UFO counters when we unpacked. The rules were quite simple to grasp and it swiftly became a riotous 90 minute long session of completely arbitrary back-stabbing and deal breaking and laughing. I came very close to winning but someone allied with the other person so they crossed the line first

We also played 'Flashpoint', using the heroic setup (lot of fires, hazards, and hotspots) because we're manly men like that. We managed to rescue four people, accidentally incinerated another three, then completely lost control and the building collapsed. When I first played this a long time ago, I wasn't too keen but it's grown on me and the tactical decisions are varied enough to keep interest. It also has the best pieces of any board game ever, which helps.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 12:45 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Kern wrote:
It also has the best pieces of any board game ever, which helps.

Incorrect.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 19:21 
Gogmagog

Netrunner Club tonight! Hurrah! 2 kill decks for the corp side and a Criminal deck for the runner. Let's atomize some hackers! Let's steal some agendas!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 9:31 
Gogmagog

MaliA wrote:
Netrunner Club tonight! Hurrah! 2 kill decks for the corp side and a Criminal deck for the runner. Let's atomize some hackers! Let's steal some agendas!

Well. First game lost first turn....

Lost the other games as well, but these were a little closer.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 11:56 
Gogmagog

There was a netrunner tournament at the weekend in Reading. Looming at the results, the corporation ID i have most recently played appears only 4 times out of 87 players, and the runner ID doesn't appear at all. So that explains a lot

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 8:19 

Libertalia: pirate game with rules that sound really complex but are actually quite simple (pick card, play, resolve, get points, stab others, or take penalties).

One Night Ultimate ['Mafia'-ed.] - this works really well and having time-limited rounds with no deaths removes a major complaint about this family of games.

We also discovered that Ticket to Ride:UK doesn't really work with five people.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 15:45 
Excellent Member

Bought Agricola and i'm absolutely loving it. Still haven't made the step to advanced mode, and i'm sure that with cards it's even more awesome.

I took it to family lunch last weekend, but i fear it wasn't as popular as pandemic. My killjoy brother in law found it to be boring, but in his defense, the game took 3 hours (which was mostly his fault for being so slow)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 9:08 
Gogmagog

Netrunner club tonight! I have refined my Corporation Strategy and have made a deck that is I AM A BANK AND I HATE MY CUSTOMERS where the primary aim is to demolish the home of the runner and surrounding area. Because subprime, right?

The Runner deck is largely unchanged as it didn't get a decent run out last time.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 22:57 
Gogmagog

MaliA wrote:
Netrunner club tonight! I have refined my Corporation Strategy and have made a deck that is I AM A BANK AND I HATE MY CUSTOMERS where the primary aim is to demolish the home of the runner and surrounding area. Because subprime, right?

The Runner deck is largely unchanged as it didn't get a decent run out last time.

Um. Yeah. That went ok. Mostly happy.

Hey, curio... lizzy sends her regards...

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 11:55 
Gogmagog

Netrunner night tonight! I am taking my Furious Bank run by Lizzy M which hates You, the customer, and wants to burn your flat down. And those around it. Because foreclosure is a dirty word. It is fuelled by Hedge funds, Restructures and a surprise wolf.

Runnerwise, I am taking Jezzy S in a new deck of hope, dreams and failure. This will hit Where The Plans Are a lot and hopefully work.

I need MOAR CARDS to get Furious Bank to work though, and EVEN MOAR to get a jesminder running nicely.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 14:15 
Excellent Member

I now see "twilight struggle" regularly in mainstream store chains translated in Portuguese reasonably cheap (40€). It's worth it? The game always seemed boring to me, but now that i took more time to read about it properly, it actually sounds interesting.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 14:16 
Gogmagog

RuySan wrote:
I now see "twilight struggle" regularly in mainstream store chains translated in Portuguese reasonably cheap (40€). It's worth it? The game always seemed boring to me, but now that i took more time to read about it properly, it actually sounds interesting.

I would love to play it but it looks like a long game. What i have read says it is well worth it.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 17:07 

What Mali said. My boss has it but he says that trying to convince the wife to learn how to play it is tricky. But we need more heavy two player games so probably worth the effort.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 22:13 
Gogmagog

MaliA wrote:
Netrunner night tonight! I am taking my Furious Bank run by Lizzy M which hates You, the customer, and wants to burn your flat down. And those around it. Because foreclosure is a dirty word. It is fuelled by Hedge funds, Restructures and a surprise wolf.

Runnerwise, I am taking Jezzy S in a new deck of hope, dreams and failure. This will hit Where The Plans Are a lot and hopefully work.

I need MOAR CARDS to get Furious Bank to work though, and EVEN MOAR to get a jesminder running nicely.

The Angry Bank was a Winner! Closed out 7 points with a decent scoring remote. Nobody died.

Jezzy S did not do so well. Having a think about her....

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 8:53 
Gogmagog

MaliA wrote:
MaliA wrote:

The Angry Bank was a Winner! Closed out 7 points with a decent scoring remote. Nobody died.

I have made Angry Bank even MORE FURIOUS by adding EVIL SPIRITS and HOUSEKEEPING which makes the runner discard a card everytime they play one.

JezzyS has had some refinements to supply her with more money to use each turn using what I like to call The Gaywood Gambit.

We shall see tonight! Hopefully.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 11:30 
I forgot about this - how vain

MaliA wrote:
RuySan wrote:

I would love to play it but it looks like a long game. What i have read says it is well worth it.

It is probably my all time favourite game. I only play it with my wife (so we learn the game at the same rate), it takes about 3 hours to play, and it's complicated as fuck.

Once you've suffered the first game, you'll realise it's actually rather straight forward to play.

We play it once or twice a year, and I feel it's a game we will play the rest of our lives. It is just a piece of magic.

Faith schools, scientologists and 2-D platform games.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 16:13 
Gogmagog

MaliA wrote:
MaliA wrote:
MaliA wrote:

I have made Angry Bank even MORE FURIOUS by adding EVIL SPIRITS and HOUSEKEEPING which makes the runner discard a card everytime they play one.

JezzyS has had some refinements to supply her with more money to use each turn using what I like to call The Gaywood Gambit.

We shall see tonight! Hopefully.

Well, that was a disaster.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 8:43 

Played my second game of 'Dead of Winter'. Unlike the first game, we weren't in a deserted village hall in rural Oxfordshire, but in somebody's house in early Autumn so we didn't quite get the mood right. We came very close to meeting the objective, but ran out of morale and food before we could. It was only then we noticed that one playuer had been hoarding cards and read his 'betrayal' text with glee. I'm enjoying it, especially the 'crossroads' cards that force players to make tricky moral choices. Need to play it a few more times to nail down the rules, though. I lost my soldier because I forgot about frostbite. Careless.

Rounded the evening off with 'Citadels'. I've always liked this simple game with its interesting drafting mechanic and the interactions between the players. Again, however, I forgot a key part of a character's powers and threw away an easy win.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:03 

MaliA wrote:
MaliA wrote:

Well, that was a disaster.

I could have told you that.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 11:17 
8-Bit Champion
Two heads are better than one

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2016/0 ... hino-hero/

Sounds like a fun game

(If your looking for something to read then anything by Rab on this series is always great)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 7:42 
Excellent Member

My board gaming is pretty limited to Scrabble, we used to play a game called Articulate at Christmas but people started to take that too seriously as the drinking went on so it was dropped :)

Although I would be interested in D&D and Scifi type games my wife won't have any of that so need something outside of those genres that it easy to pick up.

Note from the cottage thread that a large amount of games are to be played, so any recommendations for a game to play over Christmas?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 7:45 

We're all big fans of the 'Ticket to Ride' series. The rules are pretty easy to explain but there's plenty of strategic choices to keep people interested. Start with the original USA set or the Europe one.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 8:05 
Excellent Member

Kern wrote:
We're all big fans of the 'Ticket to Ride' series. The rules are pretty easy to explain but there's plenty of strategic choices to keep people interested. Start with the original USA set or the Europe one.

Ok will give that a try, will take a lot of stick from family on this one as I spend all my spare time playing with a big Thomas train set with my son, so my family are all taking the piss and sent me Thomas birthday cards this year!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 9:22 
8-Bit Champion
Two heads are better than one

asfish wrote:
Kern wrote:

Ok will give that a try, will take a lot of stick from family on this one as I spend all my spare time playing with a big Thomas train set with my son, so my family are all taking the piss and sent me Thomas birthday cards this year!

There are computer (and tablet) versions of it as well if you want to practice or understand more about how it all works , I'm sure it was on a humble bundle at some point and there may be keys for the steam version in the 'free stuff' thread if you want to check there (i know i had multiple copies of it but i'm not sure if they were all used now)

If you like it then definitely get the board version but it will at least give you some ideas about also if you have the time watch 'tabletop' on youtube - here is the Ticket to Ride episode

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHmf1bau9xQ

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 9:48 

'Le Harve' - I've tried a few times over the years to play this with my Dad but it never quite clicked with us. I played it last night with two from my usual group and I'm still not sure about it. We played the long game (18 turns) , and whilst there were fun moments of 'screw you buddy' and agonising decisions about what items to grab before they go, it felt like playing patience in front of others for three hours rather than competing to win. I'll give it another go now I've got through a game, but fear it might be one for a long wet afternoon when nobody's in the mood for anything else.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 10:17 
INFINITE POWAH

Kern wrote:
'a long wet afternoon when nobody's in the mood for anything else.

Title

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 12:00 
UltraMod

'Le Harve'?!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 12:20 
Unpossible!

Lonewolves wrote:
'Le Harve'?!

and le Harve nots.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 21:30 

Captain Sonar: team battleship. Most of the box is taken up with a heavy board which becomes a screen to separate and hide the two teams of submariners whilst they try to hunt down and destroy the other team. There are four roles on the boat - captain, first mate, radio officer, and engineer. As there were four of us we were in teams of two with each player doing two roles. Each role has its own custom wipeclean map, and the radio officer, tasked with tracking the direction of the opposing submarine, overlays his with a clear sheet so as the game progresses you can try to match up the route with the layout of the islands on the map to work out where the hell everyone is.

You can play the game in real-time but we were playing the turn-based version, which was nasty and confusing enough. On a turn the captain announces the direction the boat will go, and joins the dots on his sheet. The other team's radio officer will log this on his map. The first officer can then charge one energy block of either a weapons system (mines or torpedos), a navigational aid (drone - you ask the other team which of the four map sectors they are in, and they must tell the truth; sonar - the other team give two of either sector, eastings, and northings, but one must be a lie and the other a truth), or silencer (zoom up to four spaces without telling the direction). Moving makes one of the bits of the boat to break down, and the engineer chooses which and crosses it out. When certain conditions are reached that part of the boat is repaired but the first officer can't use anything that the engineer has broken.

We spent most of the hour wandering aimlessly around until the other team activated their sonar, saw through our obvious lie, and fired a direct torpedo on it. All the while, we were unable to retaliate because my engineer (I was captain and radio man, obviously) hadn't been speaking to the first mate (himself) and kept on breaking bits that would allow us to do things. Then the radio man got confused and misheard an enemy's direction and we got confused and fatally struck. Oh well.

I really liked it, and although our maps and charts were hidden by the screen, part of the fun came from overhearing the debates, arguments, and expletives from the other team and trying to elucidate what they meant. Definitely wanting to play this with a full ship's complement, possibly in a red-lit narrow room that smells of cabbage. Playing real-time sounds like a recipe for carnage.

Arboretum - this was supposed our relaxing cool down after the tense marine-based conflict but became extremely bitchy and backbiting as we tried to make the prettiest woodland walks for our visitors. Some devious scoring rules allowed for agonising decisions. Apparently as a two-player game it becomes brutal.

Hanabi - I've played this several times before and whilst I've enjoyed it I've always felt it's missing something. It's a co-op involving laying down cards in order with the twist that you hold your hand outwards so everyone but you know what you're holding. The rules prohibit hints (unless you play a 'hint' token) or really any in-game communication other than asking others to repeat what they know about their hand.

A fun night, but far more mentally taxing than I was expecting.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 22:17 
Ticket to Ride World Champion

Captain Sonar sound like it would be great fun drunk!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 22:29 

You can't cross your line, so are at risk of trapping yourself, but you can surface to clear your old route and effectively start over. Of course, the enemy then know where you are and get three turns in a row to meet you for cocktails.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 0:07 
Gogmagog

Sounds awesome.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 0:09 
Gogmagog

For the record, i lost every game of netrunner again.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 0:10 
Ready for action

Kern wrote:
Captain Sonar

I love this game. It works really well with six players and it's funny when things go terribly wrong, which they invariably do. I like Hanabi as well although I've never won it. It's a real brain burner. I'd recommend Diamonds as a really good quick cooldown game. I got it as one of nine to take on holiday and it got played a few times each night.

I'd also recommend this excellent video from shut up and sit down. It's their review of Captain sonar and it sold me on the game.

https://youtu.be/Yjo4iXyDPtw

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 0:11 
Gogmagog

"Miss 100℅ of the shots you don't take" but, by fuck, variance is killing me at netrunner club!

However, after 12 rounds, my cirporation deck "Angry Murder Bank" has changed into "Mortgage not approved" and is hella slick.

Runner deck is not so good and nothing positive ti say about it.

Post subject: Re: Tabletop pen and paper rpg's
PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 10:43 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

I'd be interested in playing if I've got the time.

Similarly, I played Hero Quest with some friends last night and we had a great time. I was the DM and they completed the first quest, have bought some items and are ready for the next quest.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 10:59 
Sleepyhead

I have mostly been playing Tumblin' Monkeys with my wife and daughter. It's like a better version of Kerplunk.

i wouldn't recommend it unless you have a small child.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 11:00 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

I came up with rules for "Drinking HeroQuest" - basically you have a shot in front of you for each body point, and if you lose one (or more) you drink a (or more) shot. The potion of healing would literally be a bottle of alcohol, so you can refill your glasses.

I'm struggling to come up with a rule for the Evil Wizard player, though. "Each monster killed" is far too many.

Are you playing the UK or USA HeroQuest? What house rules do you have?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 11:03 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

Just the standard UK set I believe. The only deviation from the rules so far is the searching for traps/secret doors and treasures rule. In the the instructions it says that player must specify whether they're going to search for treasure, <b>or</b> a trap/secret door.

In the interests of speeding the game up, we've said they can just search and find whatever is in the room.

It's the first time my friends have ever played it so I'm sure we'll come up with something else when the time comes.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 11:03 
Paws for thought

Curiosity wrote:
I have mostly been playing Tumblin' Monkeys with my wife and daughter. It's like a better version of Kerplunk.

i wouldn't recommend it unless you have a small child.

What about if you have a Myp?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 11:08 
Awesome
Yes

Grim... wrote:
I came up with rules for "Drinking HeroQuest" - basically you have a shot in front of you for each body point, and if you lose one (or more) you drink a (or more) shot. The potion of healing would literally be a bottle of alcohol, so you can refill your glasses.

I'm struggling to come up with a rule for the Evil Wizard player, though. "Each monster killed" is far too many.

Can it be something along the lines of:
1) Turn glass right way up.
2) Refill glass if right way up, otherwise 1.
3) Down glass and place upside-down if full, otherwise 2.

That way it's still taking a shot, but cuts down the amount by a third, with an easy to remember mechanism. Obviously adjust for the actual kill rates as I have no idea.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 11:08 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

I've never heard of anyone changing the searching rule before, that's a new one. Don't forget that you don't put "good" treasure back in the deck!

We normally have "creatures/heroes can push through doorways", "only rooms can be searched for treasure, and only once*" and "when the wizard uses all of a spell set he gets them back". Lots of people get rid of the dice rolling when moving, too.

* This might actually be the proper rule, but the wording is ambiguous.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 11:10 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Mr Russell wrote:
Grim... wrote:

Can it be something along the lines of:
1) Turn glass right way up.
2) Refill glass if right way up, otherwise 1.
3) Down glass and place upside-down if full, otherwise 2.

That way it's still taking a shot, but cuts down the amount by a third, with an easy to remember mechanism. Obviously adjust for the actual kill rates as I have no idea.

Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaas.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 11:22 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

Grim... wrote:
I've never heard of anyone changing the searching rule before, that's a new one. Don't forget that you don't put "good" treasure back in the deck!

Whoops. I didn't know this.

Grim... wrote:
We normally have "creatures/heroes can push through doorways"

This stops people from standing in a door way and having the monsters come to them one at a time, right?

Grim... wrote:
"only rooms can be searched for treasure, and only once*"

I think this is a proper rule. When we played last night, when one character leaves the dungeon the other two had to carry on and work their way to the exit. Without this rule, there's nothing to stop them standing by the exit and searching every move until they get a monster, which they can then ignore and leave the dungeon.

grim... wrote:
"when the wizard uses all of a spell set he gets them back".

This makes sense as the Wizard is pretty useless when it comes to fighting.

grim... wrote:
Lots of people get rid of the dice rolling when moving, too.

I can see why you'd do this but I also appreciate the randomness of a dice roll.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 11:23 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

TheVision wrote:
Grim... wrote:

This stops people from standing in a door way and having the monsters come to them one at a time, right?

Yeah, basically the Barbarian stands in the doorway and hacks away at anything that comes close.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 11:26 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

Grim... wrote:
TheVision wrote:
Grim... wrote:

Yeah, basically the Barbarian stands in the doorway and hacks away at anything that comes close.

Well, my friends haven't figured this out yet but when they do, I'll introduce the rule! Strangely too, out of my three friends... no one picked the Barbarian. Weirdos.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 11:30 
UltraMod

TheVision wrote:

Fucking Ian. :'(

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 11:33 
Paws for thought

Lonewolves wrote:
TheVision wrote:

Fucking Ian. :'(

Certainly having a horde of monsters fuck Ian one at a time would take some time.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 11:33 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Or you can reduce their attack and defend dice to 1 to simulate the difficulty of fighting through a door (something monsters are fine with, of course). That soon puts a stop to it, and allows heroic "holding of the doors" moments.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 11:34 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

We should probably be discussing this the the boardgame thread.

Reply to topic  [ 1600 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22 ... 32  Next