Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 1599 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 32  Next
 Post subject: Re: Boardgame Thread: Let's organise a beexordgame night.
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 8:51 

Was looking again at 'Dead of Winter' on a rainforesty-site, and my finger slipped. Oops :)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 9:51 
Ready for action

Kern wrote:
Was looking again at 'Dead of Winter' on a rainforesty-site, and my finger slipped. Oops :)

Yay! Let me know how you get on, I love it!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 17:48 
chewbacca -future arc welder

Grim... wrote:
Star Realms is a good deckbuilding game, and there's a mobile game version of it now, of which a good chunk is free.

You can get it on iOS and Android, and if you pay the £2 to unlock the whole thing, my username is Grimddd.

I challenge thee to ye olde duel. My username is possibly krazywookie but who can tell?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 18:27 

We bought the Sherlick a Holmes game on Gilly's recommendation. Haven't played yet but looking forwards to sleuthing

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 20:55 
Best
Board Mother

Joan's bought that last week. We've only played one case so far, but it took a couple of evenings.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 8:41 

Back in Wales for the weekend so did some board gaming. Played Forbidden Island with my sister and brother-in-law; we smashed it to pieces. Bought King Of New York and had our first game of that with The Egg and Mrs The Eg; thought that was great. Then played a round of Forbidden Island with TE and MTE but lost it on (quite literally) a single card turn – we pretended it hadn't happened and played the game out to victory to check. That game is cruel, although far less brutal than Pandemic.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 9:49 
Best
Board Mother

We bought Forbidden Island when we were in York for my birthday. Played it that night and a couple of times a week since. I think it's helped us get to grip with the process of Pandemic quicker. But I'm enjoying both.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 10:19 

Are we missing something with Pandemic? We only lost our first game because we ran out player cards the turn before we would have cured the last disease and even though some unfortunate card turns sent our outbreak counter straight up to 5, we still won the second game comfortably enough.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 8:06 
Ready for action

Joans wrote:
Are we missing something with Pandemic? We only lost our first game because we ran out player cards the turn before we would have cured the last disease and even though some unfortunate card turns sent our outbreak counter straight up to 5, we still won the second game comfortably enough.

That does sound unusual, might be worth having another read through of the rules to make sure you aren't missing something. How many epidemic cards are you putting in the deck and are you shuffling them in at regular intervals? Are you preparing the board first with diseases in cities before you start and then putting those city cards in the discard pile? Are you shuffling that discard pile and then putting it back on top of the draw pile when each epidemic card is drawn (rather than shuffling the discard pile into the main deck. So as you are constantly infecting the same cities.) Based on my experience, the first few times you play it is difficult to avoid outbreaks that chain and quickly go out of control.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 8:16 
Ready for action

Mimi wrote:
We bought the Sherlick a Holmes game on Gilly's recommendation. Haven't played yet but looking forwards to sleuthing

Cool, let me know how you get on with it! I love it :)

Goddess Jasmine wrote:
Joan's bought that last week. We've only played one case so far, but it took a couple of evenings.

Did you like it? How did you do with the case? We didn't come close to Sherlocks score but we got all the questions right, mainly I think because by the time we decided we'd solved it we'd basically followed every lead :D

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Back in Wales for the weekend so did some board gaming. Played Forbidden Island with my sister and brother-in-law; we smashed it to pieces. Bought King Of New York and had our first game of that with The Egg and Mrs The Eg; thought that was great. Then played a round of Forbidden Island with TE and MTE but lost it on (quite literally) a single card turn – we pretended it hadn't happened and played the game out to victory to check. That game is cruel, although far less brutal than Pandemic.

I've not played Forbidden Island but I watched the tabletop episode with Forbidden Desert on it and it looks cool. It's on my wishlist and it seems to be great value for money as well. I've played King of Tokyo and enjoyed it, do you know if King of New York is the same?

For Discworld fans, there is a game out called Discworld Ankh Morpork that is rated 7.2/10 on bgg and receives lots of great reviews. Since Sir Terry's death, the publisher hasn't been able to renew the licence and so the game is going to go out of print. It may be renewed at a later date but currently, the copies available to buy right now may be the last. It was on my wishlist so I was really disappointed to hear this and then this weekend I was gifted a copy! If you fancy one for yourself, it available at amazon here for £75(!) because stock is starting to run low. It's also available at Waterstones for £29.99 and apparently they are experiencing a bit of a run on it as people find out it's going out of print so if you like the sound of it, it may be worth picking up. I've not played it yet so can't offer my opinion but as far as I know, it's a hidden role area control game and plays well with 2, 3 or 4 players.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 9:11 

Finally beat 'Pandemic' on 5 epidemic cards last week. Now to do it on 6.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 9:39 
Awesome
Yes

Re: Sherlock Holmes - I totally messed it up.

First case spoilers:
ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
We'd followed a few leads, checked out the articles about the arms fair and the shooting competition in the paper, went to the society gossip guy, and I decided that Count Von Schulenberg was the baddie because Allen was having an affair with the Countess. It was only when it was revealed to be Lord Ragland that I realised we hadn't even been to interview him.

Reading some of the other leads afterwards it would have been obvious why the invoices in his desk were suddenly all paid if we'd looked into his financial affairs a bit closer, and we also totally didn't pick up about the Spaniards Inn, instead of looking for a Spaniard, so I sent us after Hector del Guerra who basically gave us a three and a half hour time window during the murder when the Count was unaccounted for.

Total score: 5 points.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 10:08 
Ready for action

Mr Russell wrote:
Re: Sherlock Holmes - I totally messed it up.

First case spoilers:
We'd followed a few leads, checked out the articles about the arms fair and the shooting competition in the paper, went to the society gossip guy, and I decided that Count Von Schulenberg was the baddie because Allen was having an affair with the Countess. It was only when it was revealed to be Lord Ragland that I realised we hadn't even been to interview him.

Reading some of the other leads afterwards it would have been obvious why the invoices in his desk were suddenly all paid if we'd looked into his financial affairs a bit closer, and we also totally didn't pick up about the Spaniards Inn, instead of looking for a Spaniard, so I sent us after Hector del Guerra who basically gave us a three and a half hour time window during the murder when the Count was unaccounted for.

Total score: 5 points.

We decided right at the start that we wanted to go to either the factory or office, I forget which but it was the one that wasn't listed in the directory. I scanned the map and couldn't see the street address so we went off down another route of leads. I think at some point or another we suspected everyone and we even made the link with the advertisement in the newspaper for the reward for a missing earring but it wasn't until near the end when I still felt like we should have been able to visit the street address and I finally found the street name on the map. We went there and got the answers we needed to clear up the last of it. I think if we'd went there first we'd have solved it quicker but at the same time, we had a great time doing it and I'm looking forward to playing another one :)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 10:53 

sdg wrote:
I've not played Forbidden Island but I watched the tabletop episode with Forbidden Desert on it and it looks cool. It's on my wishlist and it seems to be great value for money as well. I've played King of Tokyo and enjoyed it, do you know if King of New York is the same?

Caveat: I've not played KoT, and only played KoNY once. But I read a few reviews before choosing the latter.

KoNY has some extra game mechanics over and above KoT, and these add strategic depth:

1) Smashing buildings now creates military units, who can attack monsters in the same map place as they are based on a new symbol on the dice.
2) The map now has half a dozen places and you can move around to find more buildings to trash or avoid the military.
3) There's a new "Fame" dice symbol; if you roll three of those, you become the "superstar", and from then on every one you roll gives you a free victory point until someone else rolls three "fame" symbols.
4) The longer you stay in Manhattan (the equivalent to Tokyo), the more points you earn each turn, so it rewards careful hoarding of healing cards so you can try and maximise your stay in the hot seat.

My understanding is that KoT is vulnerable to slightly cheesy tactics where you just keep rolling for maximum victory points, and KoNY doesn't have this -- choosing what to re-roll is really hard most of the time.

This does change the character of the game a little bit, from a 30 minute knockabout fun to something a bit more thoughtful (although still pretty lightweight mechnically.) That's more to my tastes though.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 11:29 
Ready for action

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
sdg wrote:

Caveat: I've not played KoT, and only played KoNY once. But I read a few reviews before choosing the latter.

KoNY has some extra game mechanics over and above KoT, and these add strategic depth:

1) Smashing buildings now creates military units, who can attack monsters in the same map place as they are based on a new symbol on the dice.
2) The map now has half a dozen places and you can move around to find more buildings to trash or avoid the military.
3) There's a new "Fame" dice symbol; if you roll three of those, you become the "superstar", and from then on every one you roll gives you a free victory point until someone else rolls three "fame" symbols.
4) The longer you stay in Manhattan (the equivalent to Tokyo), the more points you earn each turn, so it rewards careful hoarding of healing cards so you can try and maximise your stay in the hot seat.

My understanding is that KoT is vulnerable to slightly cheesy tactics where you just keep rolling for maximum victory points, and KoNY doesn't have this -- choosing what to re-roll is really hard most of the time.

This does change the character of the game a little bit, from a 30 minute knockabout fun to something a bit more thoughtful (although still pretty lightweight mechnically.) That's more to my tastes though.

That sounds like some good changes because King of Tokyo, while fun and a good filler, does feel very chance based.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 11:52 

Sorry for just jumping right into this thread, but what is this Sherlock Holmes game you mentioned above?

Also, I love Table Top. Maybe just because I almost never get to play any games myself.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 11:57 
Awesome
Yes

lasermink wrote:
Sorry for just jumping right into this thread, but what is this Sherlock Holmes game you mentioned above?

Also, I love Table Top. Maybe just because I almost never get to play any games myself.

Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective
http://www.amazon.co.uk/300/dp/29148498 ... +detective
https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/251 ... -detective

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 13:23 

sdg wrote:
Joans wrote:

That does sound unusual, might be worth having another read through of the rules to make sure you aren't missing something. How many epidemic cards are you putting in the deck and are you shuffling them in at regular intervals? Are you preparing the board first with diseases in cities before you start and then putting those city cards in the discard pile? Are you shuffling that discard pile and then putting it back on top of the draw pile when each epidemic card is drawn (rather than shuffling the discard pile into the main deck. So as you are constantly infecting the same cities.) Based on my experience, the first few times you play it is difficult to avoid outbreaks that chain and quickly go out of control.

Pretty sure we're doing all of that. It did occur to me that with two players, unless the player deck is harshly ordered against you, or you're careless with what you discard, then it should be easy for one of the players to pick up 5 of any one colour, whereas with more players I bet a lot of turns are used up just trying to exchange cards.
We won another game last night, but there was only two cards left in the player deck, so if we'd had to coordinate any card exchanges it might have been a different story.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 14:18 
Ready for action

Joans wrote:
sdg wrote:
Joans wrote:

Pretty sure we're doing all of that. It did occur to me that with two players, unless the player deck is harshly ordered against you, or you're careless with what you discard, then it should be easy for one of the players to pick up 5 of any one colour, whereas with more players I bet a lot of turns are used up just trying to exchange cards.
We won another game last night, but there was only two cards left in the player deck, so if we'd had to coordinate any card exchanges it might have been a different story.

Now that you say that I realise that I haven'yt ever played it with two players. I think I've always just assumed that it may be more difficult because you only have two player role abilities to help but I guess what you're saying could explain it! Have you tried making it more difficult with extra epidemic cards or are you already maxing out?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 15:07 
Awesome
Yes

You have to be in the same city as the other player, and also in the city of the card you are trying to exchange unless you have some abilities to the contrary.

Perhaps that's why you're finding it so easy?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 15:36 

Mr Russell wrote:
You have to be in the same city as the other player, and also in the city of the card you are trying to exchange unless you have some abilities to the contrary.

Gilly, we started with 4 and lost our first game, but I think it's probably time to move to 5.

Russ, for a two player game, you rarely have to exchange cards. There's 12 of each colour, so unless you discard too many or focus on one colour when the deck is actually set to give you everything but that, then 1 of the players will get 5 of each colour. Once you go up to 3 or 4, that becomes less likely and exchanging becomes a bigger part of the game.
Also our second game did involve the researcher that can give cards without needing to be in the right city.

I did wonder why Gaywood wasn't having the same issue with forbidden island, but you get at least two goes through the deck on that one depending on your starting level.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 15:54 
Awesome
Yes

Joans wrote:
Mr Russell wrote:

Gilly, we started with 4 and lost our first game, but I think it's probably time to move to 5.

Russ, for a two player game, you rarely have to exchange cards. There's 12 of each colour, so unless you discard too many or focus on one colour when the deck is actually set to give you everything but that, then 1 of the players will get 5 of each colour. Once you go up to 3 or 4, that becomes less likely and exchanging becomes a bigger part of the game.
Also our second game did involve the researcher that can give cards without needing to be in the right city.

I did wonder why Gaywood wasn't having the same issue with forbidden island, but you get at least two goes through the deck on that one depending on your starting level.

And you're also limiting your hand to 7 cards? We've found it hard to collect 5 of each colour each time.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 18:31 

Yup. 7 cards.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 17:44 

Help folks!

It's our first wedding anniversary in a few days, and something something paper.

I'm totally out of my normal brain capacity for thought, and can't think of what to get. Russell suggested a new board game, specifically a co-op as I can't play competitive board games as I have absolutely zero competitive drive, so don't try to win, which makes it rubbish for others,

Anyway... Board games are kind of paper-ish, and we gave enjoyed a few co-operative ones (Sherlock Holmes, Pandemic, The one where you quickly roll dice like Indiana Jones...

Please does anyone have any suggestions for a co-op game that I can get and maybe even manage to play with baby brain (and goodness knows I am stupid enough at the best of times, but I've basically turned only semi-sentient.)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 18:30 
Kinda Funny Lookin'

The Lord of the Rings game is good with two players

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Lord-Rings-Boar ... board+game

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 7:10 
Ready for action

Mimi wrote:
Help folks!

It's our first wedding anniversary in a few days, and something something paper.

I'm totally out of my normal brain capacity for thought, and can't think of what to get. Russell suggested a new board game, specifically a co-op as I can't play competitive board games as I have absolutely zero competitive drive, so don't try to win, which makes it rubbish for others,

Anyway... Board games are kind of paper-ish, and we gave enjoyed a few co-operative ones (Sherlock Holmes, Pandemic, The one where you quickly roll dice like Indiana Jones...

Please does anyone have any suggestions for a co-op game that I can get and maybe even manage to play with baby brain (and goodness knows I am stupid enough at the best of times, but I've basically turned only semi-sentient.)

Forbidden Desert is a coop game that's meant to be good. Designed by the guy who made Pandemic so it has a similar feel. It's about trying to gather parts for your ship that's crashed in the desert, by clearing sand off tiles and looking under them. Cards are drawn that spreads more sand around or makes you dehydrated if you don't have shelter. It gets really good reviews. Forbidden Island is similar only on an Island setting that is slowly being flooded. I believe both games also include the mechanic of making them harder by adding more of a particular card to the deck and they're a great price.
Not a coop but a lovely and non combative game that you'd both probably enjoy even without a competitive drive is Takenoko. In it, you try to match conditions shown on cards by moving a gardener and panda around tiles to either grow or eat bamboo. The playing pieces are amazing, it's ittle wooden pieces of bamboo that stack together and a wee plastic panda and gardener. A really lovely and gentle game :)
If I think of any others I'll post again.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 8:42 

Hannabi (BGG link) is an interesting co-op. Everyone can see your hand, but you can't. Deciding what to play depends on how well the others have hinted to you what's where in your hand.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 9:19 
8-Bit Champion
Two heads are better than one

sdg wrote:
Forbidden Desert is a coop game that's meant to be good.

The game being played on Tabletop (it looks good)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMLP0gn4I6k

sdg wrote:
Not a coop but a lovely and non combative game that you'd both probably enjoy even without a competitive drive is Takenoko.

And Takenoko (i've not watched this one yet)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wv4n-e-hb_o

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 10:23 
Ready for action

zaphod79 wrote:
sdg wrote:
Forbidden Desert is a coop game that's meant to be good.

The game being played on Tabletop (it looks good)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMLP0gn4I6k

sdg wrote:
Not a coop but a lovely and non combative game that you'd both probably enjoy even without a competitive drive is Takenoko.

And Takenoko (i've not watched this one yet)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wv4n-e-hb_o

On Takenoko, I have introduced it to loads of people and every single one of them has enjoyed it. Basically as soon as you see the wee panda you'll be sold :luv:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 11:59 

That's brilliant. Thank you so much! Thank you for the suggestions... Off to Amazon go I xx

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 17:53 

Ok, got Forbidden Island and Takenoko as one was cute and the other sounded good, too.

Have told Russell not to look in here, so if you are reading this right now Russell: :slappychops:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 19:20 
Best
Board Mother

Forbidden island is great. We have played it lots. I like the sound of that panda game too.

Mimi, I hope you haven't bought them using Russ' Amazon account... :D

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 20:13 

I'd like to reply that I'm not that silly, but I very much am :) just not on this occasion.

I even remembered not to get it on the joint credit card.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 21:46 
Ready for action

Excellent, let us know how you like them! I've been tempted by the idea of forbidden island or desert so I'm sure they'll find their way into my collection at some point. Takenoko is one my favourite games :)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 11:40 
Best
Board Mother

We popped into Village Games in Camden yesterday. Came out with Chrononauts and Mindtrap. Looking forward to giving them both a try later. :)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 12:18 

Forbidden Island is great, and it's accessible enough that non-boardgame-players can pick it up and enjoy it too (which I think isn't as true of Pandemic, which has moderately cluttered mechanics.) It's s inevitable I'll buy Desert at some point but so far I've put it off (faced with the choice on one new game, I picked up King of New York most recently instead.)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 13:23 
Best
Board Mother

I'd agree with all of that Doc.

How have you found King of New York?

Has anybody got or played Marvel Legendary? Joans is talking about putting it on his wish list for Christmas.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 14:04 
8-Bit Champion
Two heads are better than one

Goddess Jasmine wrote:
Has anybody got or played Marvel Legendary? Joans is talking about putting it on his wish list for Christmas.

Not played but it was last weeks game on Tabletop - looks like great fun

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 15:39 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Goddess Jasmine wrote:

The chance of me not owning Aliens Legendary before the Cottage is incredibly slim.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 20:19 

Goddess Jasmine wrote:
We popped into Village Games in Camden yesterday. Came out with Chrononauts and Mindtrap. Looking forward to giving them both a try later. :)

I love 'Chrononauts'. For reasons that are beyond me, the 'videotape of the creation of the universe (on Betamax)' card cracks me up every time. And it took me a long while to work out why 'Emily' is a good name for a Brontosarus.

By the way, be very careful with the 1945 cards: all the patches for it affect the rest of the timeline in slightly different ways.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 22:36 

We just had a game, although it was probably not the best thing to try just before bed. We did patch 1945, so I hope we did it right.
I liked my stegasaurus called Steggy.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 22:44 

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 8:36 

Played 'Flashpoint' last night using one of the expansions that allows for additonal floors on the building and specialist roles (including a rescue dog). First game was a pretty diastrous: despite our valiant efforts the whole building collapsd as the fires in the basement and the first floor ruined the structure. Second game, reverting to one board, went off far better and all the civilians and their pets were heroically rescued.

This game grew on me. When I played it last year I wasn't that impressed but was glad I gave it a second chance. Like 'Pandemic', as the fires get out of control your team's carefully orchestrated plan becomes increasingly irrelevant. And the plastic fire-fighter pieces are pretty cool too.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 13:36 

We played Takeneko. I won.

It's a great little game. The design is particularly charming :)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 1:01 

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 18:41 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

This is the Legendary Encounters: Alien game.

It's very beautiful and very good fun, even if we did just get our asses kicked.

It's a deck-building card game, so anyone who has played Star Realms or any other Legendary game will know how to play it. 600 cards!

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 4:15 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 17:08 
Kinda Funny Lookin'

Dark Tower! Yes I had that one as a young 'un. It became an early mobile game once you realised it didn't need the board.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 19:13 
Filthy Junkie Bitch

We played Destination:Portsmouth on Friday so that none of you have to. You owe us.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 19:16 
UltraMod

ApplePieOfDestiny wrote:
We played Destination:Portsmouth on Friday so that none of you have to. You owe us.

It was an epic game of skill and bravery.

Reply to topic  [ 1599 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 32  Next