Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 2346 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 ... 47  Next
 Post subject: Re: General Purpose UK TV thread
PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 11:57 
Gogmagog

markg wrote:
MaliA wrote:
Mimi wrote:
Grim... wrote:
Mimi wrote:
Grim... wrote:
You know they're told what to say and how to act, right?

You'll be saying that you think they choose who is kicked off each week next.

You know I use to work in a television studio, right?

Yes, and?

It just seems odd that you are trying to school me on how TV cookery shows are made when I worked on a TV cookery show...

It goes back to what I was saying... knowing the work arsehole isn't an arsehole outside of work doesn't mean you think better if his arseholish work ways.

It doesn't make Paul Hollywood any more likeable on screen in his role. Mary Berry's niceness is a balance.

But if it is scripted and he's the character "Paul Hollywood, Jaded Baker", then it surely changes stuff? Bruno Ganz was a bit of a dick in Downfall but he was playing Hitler but I am fairly sure he doesn't test poison on dogs.

There's a difference between being an actor and being a presenter. Convincingly acting like a complete arsehole is probably a bit difficult for someone who isn't either at least a bit of an arsehole or a good actor.

The point being, it is in all liklihood scripted, and he's paid to be hard on the idiots.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 11:57 
Awesome
Yes

Fuck me, Grim...; you built in hashtags!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 11:58 
Awesome
Yes

#BurtTank

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 12:01 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Mr Russell wrote:
Fuck me, Grim...; you built in hashtags!

It's a sekkrit feature.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 12:04 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Mimi wrote:
Cras wrote:
Hmm, but it's not like your ex-colleague was told to deliberately be an arsehole to you (and may have been otherwise nice when the cameras weren't rolling)

What are you actually arguing against here, though?

That I like Mary Berry?
That I think the positivity of MB is nice as a balance to PH?
That I don't much like the on-screen persona of PH and don't think that the off-screen him makes watching him on-screen any more enjoyable?
Or just because I must always be wrong about everything? :D

I'm not going to magically like Paul Hollywood on GBBO just because he seems nice on the radio.

That I think it's a bit of a false equivalence between the guy at work who was being an arsehole and Paul Hollywood who was being an arsehole. The strong likelihood is that the work guy is actually an arsehole whereas Paul Hollywood was playing a role.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 12:05 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Mimi wrote:
That I don't much like the on-screen persona of PH and don't think that the off-screen him makes watching him on-screen any more enjoyable?

That's the first time you've differentiated between the person you see on TV and the person he is, though. You started out calling him an odious man-child in a non-TV context. And then compared him to the arsehole at work.

[edit]FUCK YOU CRASTER

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 12:06 
Awesome
Yes

Cras wrote:
Mimi wrote:
Cras wrote:
Hmm, but it's not like your ex-colleague was told to deliberately be an arsehole to you (and may have been otherwise nice when the cameras weren't rolling)

What are you actually arguing against here, though?

That I like Mary Berry?
That I think the positivity of MB is nice as a balance to PH?
Or just because I must always be wrong about everything? :D

I'm not going to magically like Paul Hollywood on GBBO just because he seems nice on the radio.

That I think it's a bit of a false equivalence between the guy at work who was being an arsehole and Paul Hollywood who was being an arsehole. The strong likelihood is that the work guy is actually an arsehole whereas Paul Hollywood was playing a role.

And I think that Mimi was saying that Even So:
Quote:
knowing you're not always an arsehole outside of work does not stop me sitting at work thinking you're an arsehole.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 12:11 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Mr Russell wrote:
Even So:
Quote:
knowing you're not always an arsehole outside of work does not stop me sitting at work thinking you're an arsehole.

Even if part of his job is literally pretending to be an arsehole?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 12:12 
Gogmagog

Grim... wrote:
Mr Russell wrote:
Even So:
Quote:

This is like Inception.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 12:14 
Comfortably Dumb

MaliA wrote:
Grim... wrote:
Mr Russell wrote:
Even So:
Quote:

This is like Inception.

Maybe he's an arsehole who is paid to be a nice guy when not on the telly and is told to be himself when on the programme.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 12:15 

Grim... wrote:
Mimi wrote:

That's the first time you've differentiated between the person you see on TV and the person he is, though. You started out calling him an odious man-child in a non-TV context. And then compared him to the arsehole at work.

[edit]FUCK YOU CRASTER

... because we were actually talking about Mary, and why she is important to the show, being a counter personality to Paul in the show.

The comparison to work arsehole was appropriate because in neither case do I care what their personality is at home, just in the context that I am seeing them in. I wouldn't think that was particularly complex.

Katie Hopkins may well be lovely at home with her kids, may just be an absolute c-nut in the media because the paper and other media outlets that pay her a lot of money to say hateful things have told her to be, but I'm pretty much not going to like her whatever :P

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 12:17 

I couldn't remember Katie Holmes names, and google image searched Katie Perry and Katie Holmes before searching 'horrible British Katie'

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 12:18 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Mimi wrote:
Grim... wrote:
Mimi wrote:

[edit]FUCK YOU CRASTER

... because we were actually talking about Mary, and why she is important to the show, being a counter personality to Paul in the show.

That we weren't. We were talking about her announcement that she wasn't going to C4 and how I thought she was a shrivelled old dipshit (or something to that effect). Mr Russell said he thought she was probably under a lot of pressure. Then you.

If that's what you meant then fair enough - but it would have been out of context.

Mimi wrote:
Katie Hopkins may well be lovely at home with her kids

I bet she isn't.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 12:18 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Mimi wrote:
I couldn't remember Katie Holmes names, and google image searched Katie Perry and Katie Holmes before searching 'horrible British Katie'

How did you not end up with Jordan?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 12:28 

Grim... wrote:
Mimi wrote:
Grim... wrote:
Mimi wrote:

[edit]FUCK YOU CRASTER

That we weren't. We were talking about her announcement that she wasn't going to C4 and how I thought she was a shrivelled old dipshit (or something to that effect). Mr Russell said he thought she was probably under a lot of pressure. Then you.

If that's what you meant then fair enough - but it would have been out of context.

Mimi wrote:

I bet she isn't.

Yeah, we were, because that came up. But I think it's just disagreement for its own sake, and I don't think you can really debate someone into liking someone as it isn't really a process of logic. I like Mary Berry and think someone like her is important to the show, you think she is shrivelled, or something. People like Paul Hollywood, I don't, and here's 100 reasons I must be wrong :D

I don't know who Jordan is, though? Unless you mean the girl who used to do the page 3 modelling, and I don't know why she'd come up in a search for Katie Hopkins, but I don't know much about either, unless someone on Twitter about that ridiculous woman. And yes, I think she is probably horrible, because you'd have to sell your soul to the devil to say that stuff for money, but she's a rather extreme example.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 12:32 
UltraMod

Grim... wrote:
Mr Russell wrote:
Even So:
Quote:

Pucker up

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 12:41 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Mimi wrote:
Yeah, we were, because that came up. But I think it's just disagreement for its own sake, and I don't think you can really debate someone into liking someone as it isn't really a process of logic. I like Mary Berry and think someone like her is important to the show, you think she is shrivelled, or something. People like Paul Hollywood, I don't, and here's 100 reasons I must be wrong :D

I don't think anyone thinks you're 'wrong' for not liking him, not at all - but I think your example of 'work guy is horrid so I assume he's always horrid' is much more applicable in that context than it is to someone who's clearly told to play the meanie for TV reasons, that's all. Doesn't invalidate you feeling that way about him in the least - it's a reaction, after all.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 12:44 
Awesome
Yes

It is still debatable that he's told to pretend of course. He could do it off his own back, or he could really be that guy. Nobody knows for sure, no matter how much we hypothesise or want to believe one way or another.

So everyone's equally right, and I solved the internet!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 12:46 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Mr Russell wrote:
It is still debatable that he's told to pretend of course. He could do it off his own back, or he could really be that guy. Nobody knows for sure, no matter how much we hypothesise or want to believe one way or another.

I'd be amazed if they didn't pretty much tell him word for word "We want you to be the Simon Cowell one"

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 12:47 
Awesome
Yes

Cras wrote:
Mr Russell wrote:

I'd be amazed if they didn't pretty much tell him word for word "We want you to be the Simon Cowell one"

Could you do it though, convincingly?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 12:49 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

No, but I'm not a TV presenter for a living :)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 13:02 

He's either not very nice, or has accepted money to turn his personal name and public persona into a hateful one, and has sold his personality to be crafted into that of a nasty, petty and smug person. Maybe that's why he's the only one to have taken the money to go to Channel 4? I don't know how well he'd transfer to a traditional cooking show now. I know he had one pre-bake off, but he's so linked to his GBBO persona now that I don't know that many would like someone so condescending and smug in the cosier setting of a cookery demonstration show, where it is filmed to feel like a one-on-one informal cookery lesson. Mary Berry can move seamlessly to that, as she has the encouraging warm persona that people want when learning. Though PH existed pre GBBO, it's where he has come to the fore, so he may have made his bed and now has to follow it to C4 to continue to lie in it. Whether you think I am wrong or not, my belief is that his GBBO persona will be the one that sticks, which is why I do think it is like someone who has a nasty attitude at work as I think that will be the persona that follows him around.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 13:03 
UltraMod

Mimi wrote:
He's either not very nice, or has accepted money to turn his personal name and public persona into a hateful one, and has sold his personality to be crafted into that of a nasty, petty and smug person.

He's the new Jeremy Clarkson, basically.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 13:03 
Heavy Metal Tough Guy

Grim... wrote:
Mimi wrote:

I bet she isn't.

We Love our family. We're in bliss. Join us.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 13:04 

Lonewolves wrote:
Mimi wrote:
He's either not very nice, or has accepted money to turn his personal name and public persona into a hateful one, and has sold his personality to be crafted into that of a nasty, petty and smug person.

Maybe, though I think Clarkson is probably an actual racist. I don't think you'd try to slip racist jokes past censors without being an actual racist and idiot.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 13:05 

And he punched someone.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 13:08 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Mimi wrote:
I don't know that many would like someone so condescending and smug in the cosier setting of a cookery demonstration show

He has one: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b03hcv64

I also don't think he's that bad on the show, he just gives actually critical feedback. But that's just personal feelings, obv.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 13:12 

I've seen the one from before Bake Off, and it was ok. But I don't think that one troubles the ratings much, does it? Certainly MB's cooking show, even repeats, usually makes it to the top 40 iPlayer shows when it is on. I've never seen that there.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 13:17 
Gogmagog

Mimi wrote:
Lonewolves wrote:
Mimi wrote:

Maybe, though I think Clarkson is probably an actual racist. I don't think you'd try to slip racist jokes past censors without being an actual racist and idiot.

I'm not so sure about that. Over the years, the writing has become more and more to position him as a relic of his time, stuck in the modern world which alienates and confuses him. The scripts for the other two regularly mention this, referring to him as "The oaf", "The Orangatuan" and so on.

I don't think for a moment that the "there's a slope on that bridge" wasn't left in delibrately to fuel exposure, nor was there anyone not aware.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 13:26 

If someone appears on telly ostensibly as themselves then it's pretty legitimate to form some judgement about them based on that. Unless they're actually Larry David and that's the whole joke.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 13:31 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Or James Van Der Beek.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 13:34 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

:luv: James Van Der Beek

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 13:39 

Most people who aren't arseholes wouldn't slag off someone's cake just to make them cry. Unless we're positing that being on a cake programme is something like the situation created for Milgram's famous studies into obedience.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 13:41 
UltraMod

Or Ricky Gervais.

Oh

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 13:45 
Gogmagog

markg wrote:
If someone appears on telly ostensibly as themselves then it's pretty legitimate to form some judgement about them based on that. Unless they're actually Larry David and that's the whole joke.

Well, yes. And Top Gear's Clarkson is the oafish, relic of his time, wishes the empire still existed character. I am not saying that Clarkson is the reverse of this, but it is written that way

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 13:47 
UltraMod

MaliA wrote:
markg wrote:

Well, yes. And Top Gear's Clarkson is the oafish, relic of his time, wishes the empire still existed character. I am not saying that Clarkson is the reverse of this, but it is written that way

But they've won awards for unscripted telly, so which is it?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 13:48 
Gogmagog

markg wrote:
Most people who aren't arseholes wouldn't slag off someone's cake just to make them cry. Unless we're positing that being on a cake programme is something like the situation created for Milgram's famous studies into obedience.

It forms a watchable narrative with good and bad. The contestants probably shouldn't invest so much of their hopes, dreams and ambition on making cakes but as they do, that fine line between victory and emotional breakdown. It is a constructed reality.

SupaMod
Est. 1978

markg wrote:
Most people who aren't arseholes wouldn't slag off someone's cake just to make them cry.

They're not crying because he "slagged off their cake", they're crying because they did a shit job in a competition.

In other news (via Popbitch):
Quote:
And, if Mary's departure isn't bad enough news for GBBO fans, want to know the names currently circulating as being in the frame to replace Mel and Sue?
Gok Wan and Alan Carr.

SupaMod
Est. 1978

Lonewolves wrote:
MaliA wrote:
markg wrote:

But they've won awards for unscripted telly, so which is it?

Hahaha oh my God, seriously? Did you forget why they couldn't collect the award?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 13:56 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Didn't Clarkson say he was busy writing the script for that week's show, or something?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 13:59 
UltraMod

I can't remember - it was a long time ago when it used to be good.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 14:01 
Gogmagog

http://jalopnik.com/how-we-made-top-gear-1713882209

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 14:07 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Cras wrote:
Didn't Clarkson say he was busy writing the script for that week's show, or something?

Yup.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 14:43 
Unpossible!

Mr Russell wrote:
#BurtTank

Dammit, you've got me archive crawling now.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 14:46 
Awesome
Yes

I would have posted more hashtags but it seems to only linkify the first one in a post.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 14:50 
UltraMod

#come #on #grimdotdotdot #step #up #your #game

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 14:51 
UltraMod

Weird.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 14:55 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Haha every other one. God damn regex.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 15:08 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

I know how we can settle the Paul Hollywood debate!

He can come to MeatUp 2017 and make the burger buns.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 17:29 
Gogmagog

Or the cottage. There's room now Pinot hasn't RSVP'd

Reply to topic  [ 2346 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 ... 47  Next