Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 1659 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26 ... 34  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Walking Dead
PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 9:14 
Hello Hello Hello

Saturnalian wrote:
Once it got going? Goddamn you're hard to please. Don't forget that I watched that disco/psycho film on your recommendation, hmmmm.

Oh, and the opening sequence was expertly done. Expertly. Apart from that JSS crap; could've done without that.

What I mean by 'once it got going' is that I really wanted to see what happened directly after the end of Episode One, since Episode One was traditionally what you call a CLIFFHANGER, and storytelling convention with CLIFFHANGERS is that the next instalment picks up where the previous one left off.

ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
Instead we get an opening sequence that has absolutely nothing to do with the previous episode (albeit an 'expertly done' opening sequence, I agree), about a character whose name I couldn't even remember or what her significance was to anyone or anything.

Then we're back in Alexandria and Carol is talking about celery soup and paprika, and I'm like, 'What is this? Why is Carol talking about celery soup and telling a woman off for smoking?'

And then it all kicks off into overdrive and then 'the noise' makes me realise how it fits into Episode One and it's all good, but it took a while to get there.

Also, very convenient that THE WOLVES attack when Alexandria is absolutely at the weakest it's been since Rick and his crew arrived, unless they've been watching closely and knew that was the case, but they don't strike me as tactical masterminds. And why were they still chopping the arms and legs off the DEAD Alexandrians even after it became quite obvious that the residents were fighting back? I'd have said attacking the ALIVE Alexandrians at that point would have made more sense.

Don't get me wrong though, great episode.
Oh yes apart from the black guy refusing to kill anyone and instead speaking sternly to them and tying them up in the middle of MASS SLAUGHTER.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 9:25 
Bad Girl

I'd spoiler the lot of that, you're pretty much narrating the beginning.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 9:27 
Hello Hello Hello

Saturnalian wrote:
I'd spoiler the lot of that, you're pretty much narrating the beginning.

I has changed it to be MORE SPOILERED.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 22:21 
Sleepyhead

Just watched the two episodes.

Cracking good fun, especially the second one.

MORGAN AND CAROL GONE FUCKED UP SOME DUDES!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 23:37 
Sleepyhead

Re: Hearthly's second spoiler

The wolves had the photos from Aaron's backpack. They were smart and tactical enough to set the trap that caught Aaron and Darryl, and from the pictures and assorted accoutrements they must have found Alexandria and studied it for a bit before going in.

As for their fanaticism, it seems like they have certain leaders and followers within the group. Some of them can think and plot, others are almost like cultists who are rabid in their movements and actions. I assume we'll find out more about them in the coming weeks. I also assume that one of them having a gun now will be important.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 23:44 
Bad Girl

I thought what the guy who was being tied up was interesting in that regard. Something like "They have our friends. You shouldn't be here." He might have been a loon of course but it gave the impression that someone else had sway over their actions and possibly by nefarious means. I'm sure we'll learn all about the wolves at some point anyway.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 7:33 
Sleepyhead

He also mentioned something about a trap. I wish he'd enunciated more clearly, and Carol hadn't shot him.

I do wonder if Morgan killed the wolf at the end, or if he instead got some information out of him.

Also interesting is the 'A' painted on the (Rick's?) house. We've seen this a few times before and it is rarely a good thing (unless it was already there and I have missed it).

Finally, is Enid all she seems? Would be a bit odd to have the episode start about her and there not be a deeper link to the wolves.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 7:51 
Bad Girl

The pale faced kiddie sitting on the steps (when Carol told him to deal with his dad's death) had a stamp with a red letter A on it. I imagine the kid did it.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 9:23 
Hello Hello Hello

Cheers chaps some decent ideas there.

I do wonder how much stuff they're expecting us to remember and/or notice? Certainly when they're referencing someone/something from a previous episode or even [i]season[i], it's a bit of a stretch to expect folks to cotton onto everything.

It's not just me either, the chap at work who's into it was the same as me for the first episode of Season Six, couldn't even immediately remember who was dead or alive at the end of Season Five.

Another chap at work who's into it is deliberately waiting until Season Six has finished, and then he'll just splurge on the whole lot.

We should keep an eye out to see if the intro to Episode Two with Enid does actually have any wider significance, sometimes I get the impression they stick some random sequence in just because they've filmed it and have a few minutes to fill, without it really having much importance.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 15:48 
Hello Hello Hello

ENID THEORY!

http://uproxx.com/tv/2015/10/the-internet-is-buying-into-the-latest-the-walking-dead-conspiracy-theory/2/

ENID IS A SPY!

The theory is predicated on a few gaps that the audience has to fill in themselves, namely:

1) It assumes that, during the time between Enid’s parents died (as depicted in the flashback this week) and the time she walked into Alexandria, she met the Wolves and hatched a plan to invade Alexandria and potentially be the leader of the Wolves.

2) It assumes that, when Enid frequently leaves Alexandria to hang out in the woods, that she’s actually meeting with members of the Wolves to discuss their invasion plans.

3) It assumes that Enid ingratiated herself within the community in order to gain a set of keys, which she then used to open the gates to Alexandria to let the Wolves in.

4) The theory speculates that Enid’s note of indifference when she went to say goodbye to Carl was because she had no fear, because she was in cahoots with the Wolves and therefore, they wouldn’t kill her.

5) The backbone for the theory (or the “proof”) lies within an unfinished line of Enid’s, so speculates Tassi:

Once inside, the most obvious slip of the episode happens when she’s talking to Carl about how it’s impossible to secure the place because it’s too big. “That’s how we…” she begins, but doesn’t finish the thought. The “we” there is almost certainly her referring to the Wolves.
6) Tassi also cites an Easter egg from last season — the Wolf Pack comic — that Carl was holding (a comic owned by Enid).

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 17:25 
Sleepyhead

Plausible, as there must be something more at work there, but...

The, "That's how we..." was surely referring to how the two of them could sneak out all the time.

But it is certainly plausible that she is linked there.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 17:48 
Bad Girl

The Enid theory doesn't work for me because of the bag that was found with the photographs of Alexandra. It suggested to me, at least, that the Wolves had found the place after finding the bag rather than it being "an inside job".

Oh, and Carl was following her so he'd have been more likely to bump into a clandestine meeting had there been one. But when he did follow her she was just doling about not doing nowt much.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 18:48 
Sleepyhead

Maybe she knew he was coming, so avoided a rendezvous?

And the photos could be something to make Aaron do a silly and blame himself. When actually it was someone else.

Occam's Razor thinks she's just a girl, though.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 21:50 
Decapodian

The "oldest" zombies are looking pretty rotten these days. How much longer before they lose all structural integrity and just collapse under their own weight.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 8:58 
Hello Hello Hello

Dr Zoidberg wrote:
The "oldest" zombies are looking pretty rotten these days. How much longer before they lose all structural integrity and just collapse under their own weight.

I've noticed they seem to have moved the decomposition on a bit, although a lot of them are still looking in reasonably sprightly shape.

EPISODE THREE:

So my OWN FUCKING PHONE spoliered it for me thanks to popping up a headline on my Google Now screen along the lines of 'IS GLENN DEAD?', so thanks for that, phone.

Episode itself was fairly solid although clichés abound somewhat:

1) OH NO A DEAD END!
2) OH NO THE ENGINE WON'T START!
3) POIGNANCY AS THE MAN MICHONNE SAID WOULD MAKE IT, DOESN'T MAKE IT

And so on.

Also, Daryl hasn't really had much to do has he?

Good telly, perfectly watchable.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 9:35 
Decapodian

Hearthly wrote:
Dr Zoidberg wrote:

I've noticed they seem to have moved the decomposition on a bit, although a lot of them are still looking in reasonably sprightly shape.

Yep, there's a good selection of "states" now. The one in the first episode of this series peeled all his flesh off as he went through the gap by the truck and there was another with an exposed ribcage last night. It can't be too much longer before some of them fall to bits.

Thinking about it, how long is suppose to have passed in story time?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 9:38 
Hello Hello Hello

552 or more days in, apparently.

http://walkingdead.wikia.com/wiki/The_W ... w_Timeline

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 12:01 
Bad Girl

e03: Another excellent episode. I did wonder how they would follow up last weeks episode but it turns out that they had that covered.

Also: Rick is a badass and this is fine with me.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 9:26 
Hello Hello Hello

All but confirmed that Glenn isn't dead. It did look like the eating of the guts was happening above him, like he was underneath Nicholas or something.

I'd be far happier to see the back of Rick, mumbling bollock-brain channelling Christian Bale's Batman that he is.

THANKS FOR SAVING ALEXANDRIA RICK.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 9:34 
Excellent Member

Tense 3 episodes, my wife had a pillow over her face during some of it as she couldn't watch!

Great TV, I find it horrible and great all in the same moment.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 9:38 

Pretty sure he's dead. If he's not dead then it's fucking stupid.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 22:33 
INFINITE POWAH

I'm 95% sure Glenn's not dead, as it would be a crap way to kill him off.

Rick is awesome. I know his brother.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 22:38 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Damnit!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 22:46 
INFINITE POWAH

Whoops.

It's all over the internet anyway. Google told me it when I googled series 6 episode 3 - one of the top results.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 18:45 
Hibernating Druid

He should be.

Great episode.

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 18:49 
Gogmagog

It is flashback things that have confused me.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 19:33 
Hibernating Druid

If you remember Woodstock you weren't really there. Man.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 22:52 
Hello Hello Hello

Bit conflicted about episode four. On the one hand it was a great hour of telly but I'm not convinced it was a great episode of TWD, or a backstory that needed telling in such detail, unless they've got something very big planned for the character.

The other main protagonist of the episode was excellent, I liked him.

Plus some of it was rather clunky and required silly amounts of suspension of disbelief as to what was happening to move the GRAND CONVERSION forward.

A decent watch though.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 4:44 
Sleepyhead

I liked it.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 19:59 
Bad Girl

I enjoyed it.

I think it needed telling too. The last time we saw Morgan for reals, he was a psychotic mess of a man willing to slit open Rick A hole. I'm sure there were a few people who wondered how he got from dribbling loon to buddhist monk and glossing over it with "Yeah, I'm alright now" isn't really an answer. This episode was.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 23:56 
Hello Hello Hello

I'm not criticising the episode itself, in fact I guess the point is that it's so much better than what passes for standard TWD fare that a return to 'normal programming' next episode will be a bit of a let down.

Generally speaking there are too many characters who aren't really interesting enough to care about, and it all gets lost a bit in the mulch. (To the extent that at the start of Season Six I had a genuinely hard time remembering who had fucking died in Season Five to start with.)

Morgan's story is an interesting one, but back in the present day I fear he'll just go back to be a rather underwritten and underwhelming character like so many of the others are.

(A lot of folks seem to think that the season that spent all that time on the farm was boring, but whilst it was quite slow I really liked it, as it gave a smaller roster of characters a lot more room to breathe and be human.)

On top of that there are some characters I'm really fed up with too, Snarling Rick is just dull now, he really is.

That's all part of what made the last episode really great, even if it wasn't perfect in and of itself.

The other thing is that TWD as a whole isn't really going anywhere, I read this piece the other day and whilst I don't agree with all of it, I do think the guy makes some very valid points.

http://www.pajiba.com/the_walking_dead/ ... g-dead.php

Quote:
Since the Doctor whispered into Rick’s ear at the end of the first season, there has not been a single new fact introduced about this world. There has been no direction, no gradual learning of more, no story development. So when the producers say they already know what happens in seasons ten through twelve? That’s no triumph of long term storytelling. The show will be in the same place it is now, regardless of who happens to be alive, or where they happen to be. All the physical moving around is just the illusion of story to mask the fact that there isn’t a story being told at all. The show isn’t going anywhere.

The Walking Dead has so far aired 70 episodes. The last time any actual plot development happened was in episode six. The next 64 have just been slowly cutting away the characters you love. And that’s not any kind of story.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 0:35 
Bad Girl

What a load of old bolllocks. If you want to watch a zombie film where they look for a cure then you can watch the myriad of shitty (and some not so shitty) films that do just that. Next he'll be complaining that Eastenders hasn't advanced its story since the Well 'ard died.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 1:11 
Sleepyhead

Whilst ultimately a dead end, the 'Get to Washington' thing was a genuine plot point, as was the attempt to create a genuine agrarian community at the prison. Not sure what they really want out of the show (though I agree it probably has a limited shelf life).

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 8:32 
Excellent Member

What makes the show so good (and tense) is that it doesn't have any long plot with a magic cure or trying to get to mega city where everything is safe and normal.

It just shows what it would be like if this happened and you were trying to survive

It would be nice to have a little more understanding of what has happened now and again though.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 16:35 
Excellent Member

The last episode was one of my favourites in a long while. It reminded me of the governor episode, and for me these are the most interesting ones. Lately TWD has became a blurry mess of noise and boredom, and this was a nice break.

And that bald man might have been the best person on earth.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 22:19 
INFINITE POWAH

Yes, there hasn't been a very obvious overarching story arc, and there's no defined end for the series. The thing is, of course, that the source material didn't either. Basically, it's a soap opera. Yes, it has guns, and zombies and shit, but it's a soap opera. A very good, very astute soap opera exploring human behaviour.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 22:27 
Gogmagog

I really enjoyed it. I wasn't sure at first, but it really pulled through well.
There was a name missing from the opening credits

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 22:28 
INFINITE POWAH

He/she/it wasn't in the episode? Or they're winding viewers up

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 22:31 
Hibernating Druid

Do zombies shit?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 22:33 
INFINITE POWAH

That undigested human flesh has to go somewhere.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 22:49 
INFINITE POWAH

Wow. Very, very, very good episode. Best one for a long while.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 23:23 
Sleepyhead

Lennie James is great.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 23:24 
Sleepyhead

RuySan wrote:
The last episode was one of my favourites in a long while. It reminded me of the governor episode, and for me these are the most interesting ones. Lately TWD has became a blurry mess of noise and boredom, and this was a nice break.

And that bald man might have been the best person on earth.

Apart from the whole...

... chaining up that guy in his house and starving him to death for kicks.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 23:27 
INFINITE POWAH

It wasn't for kicks though, was it. Even a little bit.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 22:49 
Hello Hello Hello

So not a great episode then. As suspected Morgan is reduced to effectively a non-existent character for the duration (he got to scowl a bit at Rick), and as for the other stuff....

Rick gets back into town, him and his group having inflicted more damage to the community THAN THE ENTIRE ZOMBIE OUTBREAK THUSFAR, but he still sees fit to give them a bit of a speech to tell them all how shit is. Said speech, we should note, is about being super-quiet and super-stealthy, in the hope that the zombies will move on and forget all about them. He gives this speech quite loudly, just inside the walls.

Then later on he stands IN FULL VIEW OF ALL THE ZOMBIES LITERALLY JUST A FEW FEET AWAY FROM THEIR GNASHING ZOMBIE MOUTHS, saying he's watching out for a sign from Glenn. This is the same Rick who EARLIER THE SAME DAY said they should turn their lights off at night to assist in not letting the zombies know they were there (inside a community behind solid steel walls, a material which is not renowned for its transparency or translucency), but hey yeah, I'll just stand here and chew the fat with a teenage lad, and indeed encourage him to point an unloaded gun at one of the zombie heads, because that doesn't interest them all.

Still, on the plus side, nascent lesbians.

Enjoyable enough fluff I suppose, but for every quality episode like 'Here's Not Here', we get three or four duffers like this.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 23:08 
Sleepyhead

I think it was downbeat, but necessary.

The ending, with the blood. Is that her son's blood?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 23:12 
Hello Hello Hello

Downbeat is one thing, ignoring the events of the previous episodes and indeed the major characters who really need to be chipping in right now is quite another.

Sunday night’s episode of The Walking Dead was an absolute mess.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 23:25 
Sleepyhead

Fair to say I couldn't really disagree with you more, or the muppet who wrote a rubbish write up that amounted to, "WHY AREN'T MY FAVE GUYS IN THIS? I NEED TO NOT HAVE ANY NEW CHARACTERS IN THIS BECAUSE I DON'T CARE ABOUT THEM!".

How can someone complain that not every conversation in the universe is included in the screen time? Rick clearly shows that he has debriefed with Carol. Why would someone demand that this absolutely has to be on the show?

I just don't really understand how people can ask for a show to be more intelligent whilst then needing every little detail to be spelled out. Maybe next week we'll see what Carol was up to? Maybe next week it'll just be Daryl et al? Maybe they regularly do this?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 9:23 
Hello Hello Hello

The issue for me is (as per my previous moans), that there are too many 'main' characters and they get little enough screen time as it is, without chucking in a pointless filler episode which is pretty much all Episode 5 amounted to.

In effect there was only one piece of 'news' in the entire episode, everything else was twaddle.

Plus when it can't even be consistent in its own universe, and not even for so much as ten minutes of screen time, it stretches my patience somewhat.

Rick's speech about Alexandria being all quiet and dark and hoping the zombies would move on (which is a reasonable suggestion), only to then stand a few feet away from them, in the middle of the day, and damn near get a teenager to goad them with a gun. We know that the sight of tasty edible humans gets the zombies all riled up, so what a stupid fucking thing to do. And this is from the self-styled SAVIOUR OF ALEXANDRIA.

It was a crap episode that did nothing and went nowhere, and wasted time on 'non-characters' when there already isn't enough screen time to go around.

Very disappointing after the excellent previous episode. Sometimes less really is more.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 12:10 
Bad Girl

Curiosity wrote:
I think it was downbeat, but necessary.

The ending, with the blood. Is that her son's blood?

I'm paraphrasing what I read on the TWD subreddit but this spoiler is about the ending to the episode.

it was supposed to show a crack forming in the wall. It's been confirmed on the internet somewhere

Reply to topic  [ 1659 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26 ... 34  Next