Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 1659 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26 ... 34  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Walking Dead
PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 14:51 
Gogmagog

Hearthly wrote:
BUT HOW DO THE ZOMBIES GET THROUGH WINTER, EH?

The zombie irus clearly keeps some tissues alive and some functioning. We know this because zombies can locomotive and perceive changes in their environment (incidentally, they could be classed due to these reasons as Alive due to their ability to reproduce). If the zombie whatnot made cells produce elevated levels of methanol it could act as an antifreeze.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 15:28 
Excellent Member

MaliA wrote:
Dr W wrote:
FTWD kinda works for me in the sense that you get some zombie-related stuff to watch in between while waiting for another season of TWD, which should be starting today if I'm not mistaken.

Tonight in the uk. Tonight! La la ls la la. La ls ls. Tonight.

Just checked, now available on youtube.All I have to do now is wait until it's dark......

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 15:32 
Excellent Member

MaliA wrote:
Hearthly wrote:
BUT HOW DO THE ZOMBIES GET THROUGH WINTER, EH?

The zombie irus clearly keeps some tissues alive and some functioning. We know this because zombies can locomotive and perceive changes in their environment (incidentally, they could be classed due to these reasons as Alive due to their ability to reproduce). If the zombie whatnot made cells produce elevated levels of methanol it could act as an antifreeze.

....or they could simply wear the latest in Gore-Tex outdoor fashion.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 15:41 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Or put the fire on.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 18:35 
Excellent Member

Or have a swig of Captain Morgan's.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 20:47 
Hello Hello Hello

So S06E01 of TWD was pretty good I suppose, I'll give it a 7/10.

Decent amount of zombie action going on which is more than you can say for FTWD so far, although I'm not really sold on the entire premise of the episode. (Or indeed the whole Memento style COLOUR/BLACK WHITE scenario.)

ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
There's a big quarry nearby where all the zombies have ended up, but they're starting to escape from it and shortly they will INVADE Alexandria, in some sort of targeted zombie assault, even in a massive land such as America. This explains why Alexandria has survived thusfar, so what they need to do is, erm, get all the zombies out of the quarry, and lead them somewhere else. Fantastic plan.

Overall I'd say neither FTWD or TWD are particularly firing me up (TWD is well past its best IMO), but they're worth the time it takes to watch them, and Episode Two does at least promise some very splattery zombie hijinks.

Finally, it took me a while to remember what the fuck everyone was up to at the end of Season Five, it was one of those rare occasions when PREVIOUSLY ON THE WALKING DEAD would have been quite good, but nothing was forthcoming apart from a couple of very brief flashbacks.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 14:11 
Excellent Member

Not exactly high quality dialogues either. They seem to follow a certain pattern like:

"Ya good?"
"Yeah, I'm good."
"Naw ya not."
"Told ya I'm fine!"
"These walkers are out there, we gotta stop 'em."
"We can't, it's too risky."
"But we have to!"
'OK, everybody do as Rick says!"

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 14:24 
Excellent Member

Oh yeah, about that massive horde of undead in the ditch or quarry (or whatever it was) - instead of luring them out they could have grilled them. A few Molotov cocktails would have done the trick.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 14:28 
Decapodian

I'd have given that a go beforehand. Would have thinned out the horde at least.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 14:33 
Excellent Member

My thoughts exactly. It hust might have been less thrilling.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 14:34 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Or petrol might be one of the most important resources they have.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 14:37 
Excellent Member

You'd only need a few gallons plus you wouldn't waste ammo, a valuable resource as well.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 14:42 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

A few gallons?! How many where there?

(Note that I've not seen it yet so, er, don't answer ;) )

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 14:47 
Excellent Member

2000 maybe, but all crammed in that ditch, so for the moment they couldn't really go anywhere. Flame a few and they'll set each other on fire, sort of like a chain reaction.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 14:51 
Excellent Member

Oh bugger, I actually did answer. Sorry for that

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 21:10 
Gogmagog

But then you have 2000 zombies that want to eat you. And are on fire. A bad situation just got a lot worse. You'd be as useful as Mr Chris on my Zombie Killin' Team.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 21:47 
Filthy Junkie Bitch

We need to hear Crasters theory for a solution before we decide on what could possibly have been the worst course of action.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 21:51 
Hello Hello Hello

WARNING spoilered text below discusses things that have already been discussed totally unspoilered in previous posts to this thread.

The thing is though the zombies have been down in that pit for about two years, and Alexandria has done fine for all of that time. It's yet another way in which you have to wonder how smart and/or 'doing the right thing' Rick and his crew are. Let's remember they were literally on the brink of dying (thirst/starvation) before they stumbled upon Alexandria, and now within a few weeks of arriving the AMAZING BIG PLAN is to DELIBERATELY RELEASE thousands of fucking zombies from a place nearby which they are certain will overrun Alexandria unless everyone follows the amazing plan to lead them down miles upon miles of open road before they wander off and bother someone else - because they like to 'herd up'.

It's OK overall because at least there's loads of zombie splatter gore which FTWD wasn't delivering, but in terms of overall quality I'm not convinced TWD is doing anything that FTWD isn't.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 21:55 
Filthy Junkie Bitch

I wouldn't use the spoiler tags either. No, really, just ignore them. It's fine.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 21:58 
Hello Hello Hello

ApplePieOfDestiny wrote:
I wouldn't use the spoiler tags either. No, really, just ignore them. It's fine.

Fine I'll spoiler tag it then, even though no one else fucking did.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 22:01 
Filthy Junkie Bitch

Hearthly wrote:
ApplePieOfDestiny wrote:

Fine I'll spoiler tag it then, even though no one else fucking did.

Wasn't directed at you particularly, although you did take it furthest.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 22:15 
Hello Hello Hello

ApplePieOfDestiny wrote:
Wasn't directed at you particularly, although you did take it furthest.

I used the spoiler tags for my post about S06E01, (which was the first to this thread about it), nobody else thereafter seemed to bother, and no one complained, so I didn't think there was a problem. (And even then I spaced out my post substantially with a clear indication that everything below the line contained unspoilered discussion about what happened in Episode One, which I felt didn't go much beyond anything that had already been said.)

Hopefully the zombie apocalypse will happen for real soon, and we'll and be part of the horde anyway, so it'll cease to matter. Unless we end up being net-browsing zombies with a penchant for arguments about stuff that doesn't matter much.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 22:32 
Bad Girl

Hearthly wrote:
WARNING spoilered text below discusses things that have already been discussed totally unspoilered in previous posts to this thread.

The thing is though the zombies have been down in that pit for about two years, and Alexandria has done fine for all of that time. It's yet another way in which you have to wonder how smart and/or 'doing the right thing' Rick and his crew are. Let's remember they were literally on the brink of dying (thirst/starvation) before they stumbled upon Alexandria, and now within a few weeks of arriving the AMAZING BIG PLAN is to DELIBERATELY RELEASE thousands of fucking zombies from a place nearby which they are certain will overrun Alexandria unless everyone follows the amazing plan to lead them down miles upon miles of open road before they wander off and bother someone else - because they like to 'herd up'.

It's OK overall because at least there's loads of zombie splatter gore which FTWD wasn't delivering, but in terms of overall quality I'm not convinced TWD is doing anything that FTWD isn't.

That's all well and good but...

The truck slides off the hill starting the herd moving off (and potentially towards Alexandria) freeing the zombies. You seem to have conveniently missed that. Just as it coincidentally happened just as they were doing their dry run of the plan.[

But then again, it's a drama not a documentary.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 23:17 
Hibernating Druid

Yeah!

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 7:43 
Excellent Member

MaliA wrote:
But then you have 2000 zombies that want to eat you. And are on fire. A bad situation just got a lot worse. You'd be as useful as Mr Chris on my Zombie Killin' Team.

Erm....they were trapped more or less.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 22:18 
INFINITE POWAH

MaliA wrote:

WTF an. You don't know my z killin skillz, muthafucka.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 20:38 
Bad Girl

FUCK YEAH!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 21:52 
Hello Hello Hello

Well that was certainly a hell of an episode once it got going....

Although timeline wise we're still not really any further ahead than we were at the end of the first episode.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 22:13 
Bad Girl

Once it got going? Goddamn you're hard to please. Don't forget that I watched that disco/psycho film on your recommendation, hmmmm.

Oh, and the opening sequence was expertly done. Expertly. Apart from that JSS crap; could've done without that.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 23:06 
Hibernating Druid

Had to change it from JLS for legal reasons.

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 9:14 
Hello Hello Hello

Saturnalian wrote:
Once it got going? Goddamn you're hard to please. Don't forget that I watched that disco/psycho film on your recommendation, hmmmm.

Oh, and the opening sequence was expertly done. Expertly. Apart from that JSS crap; could've done without that.

What I mean by 'once it got going' is that I really wanted to see what happened directly after the end of Episode One, since Episode One was traditionally what you call a CLIFFHANGER, and storytelling convention with CLIFFHANGERS is that the next instalment picks up where the previous one left off.

Instead we get an opening sequence that has absolutely nothing to do with the previous episode (albeit an 'expertly done' opening sequence, I agree), about a character whose name I couldn't even remember or what her significance was to anyone or anything.

Then we're back in Alexandria and Carol is talking about celery soup and paprika, and I'm like, 'What is this? Why is Carol talking about celery soup and telling a woman off for smoking?'

And then it all kicks off into overdrive and then 'the noise' makes me realise how it fits into Episode One and it's all good, but it took a while to get there.

Also, very convenient that THE WOLVES attack when Alexandria is absolutely at the weakest it's been since Rick and his crew arrived, unless they've been watching closely and knew that was the case, but they don't strike me as tactical masterminds. And why were they still chopping the arms and legs off the DEAD Alexandrians even after it became quite obvious that the residents were fighting back? I'd have said attacking the ALIVE Alexandrians at that point would have made more sense.

Don't get me wrong though, great episode.
Oh yes apart from the black guy refusing to kill anyone and instead speaking sternly to them and tying them up in the middle of MASS SLAUGHTER.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 9:25 
Bad Girl

I'd spoiler the lot of that, you're pretty much narrating the beginning.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 9:27 
Hello Hello Hello

Saturnalian wrote:
I'd spoiler the lot of that, you're pretty much narrating the beginning.

I has changed it to be MORE SPOILERED.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 22:21 
Sleepyhead

Just watched the two episodes.

Cracking good fun, especially the second one.

MORGAN AND CAROL GONE FUCKED UP SOME DUDES!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 23:37 
Sleepyhead

Re: Hearthly's second spoiler

The wolves had the photos from Aaron's backpack. They were smart and tactical enough to set the trap that caught Aaron and Darryl, and from the pictures and assorted accoutrements they must have found Alexandria and studied it for a bit before going in.

As for their fanaticism, it seems like they have certain leaders and followers within the group. Some of them can think and plot, others are almost like cultists who are rabid in their movements and actions. I assume we'll find out more about them in the coming weeks. I also assume that one of them having a gun now will be important.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 23:44 
Bad Girl

I thought what the guy who was being tied up was interesting in that regard. Something like "They have our friends. You shouldn't be here." He might have been a loon of course but it gave the impression that someone else had sway over their actions and possibly by nefarious means. I'm sure we'll learn all about the wolves at some point anyway.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 7:33 
Sleepyhead

He also mentioned something about a trap. I wish he'd enunciated more clearly, and Carol hadn't shot him.

I do wonder if Morgan killed the wolf at the end, or if he instead got some information out of him.

Also interesting is the 'A' painted on the (Rick's?) house. We've seen this a few times before and it is rarely a good thing (unless it was already there and I have missed it).

Finally, is Enid all she seems? Would be a bit odd to have the episode start about her and there not be a deeper link to the wolves.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 7:51 
Bad Girl

The pale faced kiddie sitting on the steps (when Carol told him to deal with his dad's death) had a stamp with a red letter A on it. I imagine the kid did it.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 9:23 
Hello Hello Hello

Cheers chaps some decent ideas there.

I do wonder how much stuff they're expecting us to remember and/or notice? Certainly when they're referencing someone/something from a previous episode or even [i]season[i], it's a bit of a stretch to expect folks to cotton onto everything.

It's not just me either, the chap at work who's into it was the same as me for the first episode of Season Six, couldn't even immediately remember who was dead or alive at the end of Season Five.

Another chap at work who's into it is deliberately waiting until Season Six has finished, and then he'll just splurge on the whole lot.

We should keep an eye out to see if the intro to Episode Two with Enid does actually have any wider significance, sometimes I get the impression they stick some random sequence in just because they've filmed it and have a few minutes to fill, without it really having much importance.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 15:48 
Hello Hello Hello

ENID THEORY!

http://uproxx.com/tv/2015/10/the-internet-is-buying-into-the-latest-the-walking-dead-conspiracy-theory/2/

ENID IS A SPY!

The theory is predicated on a few gaps that the audience has to fill in themselves, namely:

1) It assumes that, during the time between Enid’s parents died (as depicted in the flashback this week) and the time she walked into Alexandria, she met the Wolves and hatched a plan to invade Alexandria and potentially be the leader of the Wolves.

2) It assumes that, when Enid frequently leaves Alexandria to hang out in the woods, that she’s actually meeting with members of the Wolves to discuss their invasion plans.

3) It assumes that Enid ingratiated herself within the community in order to gain a set of keys, which she then used to open the gates to Alexandria to let the Wolves in.

4) The theory speculates that Enid’s note of indifference when she went to say goodbye to Carl was because she had no fear, because she was in cahoots with the Wolves and therefore, they wouldn’t kill her.

5) The backbone for the theory (or the “proof”) lies within an unfinished line of Enid’s, so speculates Tassi:

Once inside, the most obvious slip of the episode happens when she’s talking to Carl about how it’s impossible to secure the place because it’s too big. “That’s how we…” she begins, but doesn’t finish the thought. The “we” there is almost certainly her referring to the Wolves.
6) Tassi also cites an Easter egg from last season — the Wolf Pack comic — that Carl was holding (a comic owned by Enid).

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 17:25 
Sleepyhead

Plausible, as there must be something more at work there, but...

The, "That's how we..." was surely referring to how the two of them could sneak out all the time.

But it is certainly plausible that she is linked there.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 17:48 
Bad Girl

The Enid theory doesn't work for me because of the bag that was found with the photographs of Alexandra. It suggested to me, at least, that the Wolves had found the place after finding the bag rather than it being "an inside job".

Oh, and Carl was following her so he'd have been more likely to bump into a clandestine meeting had there been one. But when he did follow her she was just doling about not doing nowt much.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 18:48 
Sleepyhead

Maybe she knew he was coming, so avoided a rendezvous?

And the photos could be something to make Aaron do a silly and blame himself. When actually it was someone else.

Occam's Razor thinks she's just a girl, though.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 21:50 
Decapodian

The "oldest" zombies are looking pretty rotten these days. How much longer before they lose all structural integrity and just collapse under their own weight.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 8:58 
Hello Hello Hello

Dr Zoidberg wrote:
The "oldest" zombies are looking pretty rotten these days. How much longer before they lose all structural integrity and just collapse under their own weight.

I've noticed they seem to have moved the decomposition on a bit, although a lot of them are still looking in reasonably sprightly shape.

EPISODE THREE:

So my OWN FUCKING PHONE spoliered it for me thanks to popping up a headline on my Google Now screen along the lines of 'IS GLENN DEAD?', so thanks for that, phone.

Episode itself was fairly solid although clichés abound somewhat:

1) OH NO A DEAD END!
2) OH NO THE ENGINE WON'T START!
3) POIGNANCY AS THE MAN MICHONNE SAID WOULD MAKE IT, DOESN'T MAKE IT

And so on.

Also, Daryl hasn't really had much to do has he?

Good telly, perfectly watchable.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 9:35 
Decapodian

Hearthly wrote:
Dr Zoidberg wrote:

I've noticed they seem to have moved the decomposition on a bit, although a lot of them are still looking in reasonably sprightly shape.

Yep, there's a good selection of "states" now. The one in the first episode of this series peeled all his flesh off as he went through the gap by the truck and there was another with an exposed ribcage last night. It can't be too much longer before some of them fall to bits.

Thinking about it, how long is suppose to have passed in story time?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 9:38 
Hello Hello Hello

552 or more days in, apparently.

http://walkingdead.wikia.com/wiki/The_W ... w_Timeline

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 12:01 
Bad Girl

e03: Another excellent episode. I did wonder how they would follow up last weeks episode but it turns out that they had that covered.

Also: Rick is a badass and this is fine with me.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 9:26 
Hello Hello Hello

All but confirmed that Glenn isn't dead. It did look like the eating of the guts was happening above him, like he was underneath Nicholas or something.

I'd be far happier to see the back of Rick, mumbling bollock-brain channelling Christian Bale's Batman that he is.

THANKS FOR SAVING ALEXANDRIA RICK.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 9:34 
Excellent Member

Tense 3 episodes, my wife had a pillow over her face during some of it as she couldn't watch!

Great TV, I find it horrible and great all in the same moment.

Reply to topic  [ 1659 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26 ... 34  Next